• Controller

Votes: 235 54.9%
  • Both

Votes: 32 7.5%

• Total voters

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'm up to chapter 3 now and no hickups on my end so far. Also i didn't experienced any bugs some people are talking about.

knocking on wood. Hope it stays that way.

9900K/2080ti combo @ max settings + texture pack. But with least and most fps capped at 60fps. It surely scales the resolution down in some cases but i don't see anything about it so far.

Feels like the perfect pc experience. Only extreme nitpicky stuff i would complain about but that normal if you're playing with the biggest of the big boys in terms of graphics.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
This is the first game i played where i have to be careful with Vram. I turned all textures to high, and while afterburner says my Vram usage didn't change, all stutters are gone.
So whoever has a 2060 and was having stuttering problems, I just set default settings to high, and turned up everything that uses no vram to ultra and and getting a smooth 60fps with no stutters or hiccups.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Using a Fx-8370 with a 1080 gtx and game is smooth. Even using texture pack with settings on ultra. This is some wizard type stuff they managed with the PC port.

Also on a ultrawide monitor to boot.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Best settings I've found for 60fps on my rig are

6600k @ 4.2, 1070 stock, 16GB RAM and SSD

Resolution - 1080p
SSR - Insane
Textures - High
Evverything else - Ultra

Basically locked 60fps with some random minor stutters.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
If you happen to have two gpus and a good cpu (at least something like mine i7 4790k) and 16gb ram you can run on two seperate setups quite easily with Aster multiseat. Did a Gears 5 lan and we had a great time. For tonight I reduced my own settings (normally 1440p high but for today I reduced it to medium because we just wanted to start quickly) but it was quite easy to pull off.
The CPU usage was quite high at around 100% but there weren't noticable or annoying hiccups and the games ran perfectly fine.
We played online without having a noticable handicap and we had a great time. Definitly a game I will play again here.
Next time I will step it my settings to high because it ran cool enough on the 1080 (the Windforce GTX 770 is above the Strix 1080 which was heating up quickly but it was safe around under 90c).

uxiXt0Z.jpg

rXyo9Ec.png

Last edited:

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
If you happen to have two gpus and a good cpu (at least something like mine i7 4790k) and 16gb ram you can run on two seperate setups quite easily with Aster multiseat. Did a Gears 5 lan and we had a great time. Even the mini enclosure I was able to run it extremely well and is competetively playable. For this time I reduced my own settings (normally 1440p high but for today I reduced it to medium because we just wanted to start quickly).
CPU usage was quite high at around 100% but there weren't noticable or annoying hiccups and the games ran perfectly fine and we can play online without having a handicap.
Next time I will step it up to high because it ran cool enough on the 1080 (the Windforce GTX 770 is above the Strix 1080 which was heating up quickly but it was safe around under 90c).

uxiXt0Z.jpg
That's pretty bananas. Do you need two copies of the game to pull that off?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have Gears 5. But this came up in my subs. So i thought i'd post it in here, for you lovely people.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have Gears 5. But this came up in my subs. So i thought i'd post it in here, for you lovely people.

Excellent stuff.

This game has the best HDR I've seen in a game to date. The color grading is phenomenal.

As for performance, I'm running:

7700K @ 4.5 ghz
RTX 2080Ti
16GB ddr4 3000 mhz
SSD
X27 4K 144hz HDR monitor

With the Ultra preset and 60 fps min framerate set, I had 96% of frames at 4K resolution. Dynamic res kicked in rarely in seems.

Holding over 60fps pretty easily at 4K Ultra with HDR. The game looks unreal.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Solid 60 with the Recommended settings. You'll mostly be around 100+fps in the closed space sequences, enough headroom for when you're outside and things get chaotic.

Yes, someone else mentioned that getting rid of the optional Ultra textures that you have to download in-game solved it for them, if you have them installed.
I did and the damn stuttering won't stop.
It's honestly ruining my experience with the game.
What the hell should I do?

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Ah shit, there's also a bug in the game and now all the collectibles I found are gone...Jesus.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I never add the dynamic resolution option active while having stuttering, it's removing the ultra textures that fixed them for me. I'm on act 3 and i played all act2-3 without ultra textures and didn't have a single stutter, not even during cutscenes. Act 1 was horribly unplayable with ultra textures.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, besides the stutter I also have graphical glitches. Watched the scene from e3 reveal, and the breath of the characters were completely wrong. The effect was blocky like a psone game

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to re-install the texture pack and use my old settings (Cinematics framerate set to Unlimited, Minimum framerate set to None, etc) with the exception of this time turning the Tiled Resources to Off (this setting is supposed to "Improve texture streaming efficiency by optimizing texture loads into VRAM"). Since turning that off I haven't experienced a single stutter in gameplay or in a cinematic (fairly deep into Act II now).

So I've either gotten very lucky and haven't seen a stutter yet or maybe the Tiled Resources setting is causing the issues.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting weird texture glitches where textures are replaced with a weird neon camouflage pattern. J.Ds face and armor got it in a cutscene and the fabricator in a horde mode I just played got it. I also had multiple instances of crashes in cutscenes but turning the textures to high seemed to resolve that.

2060 and i5 6600K @ 4.3

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I never add the dynamic resolution option active while having stuttering, it's removing the ultra textures that fixed them for me. I'm on act 3 and i played all act2-3 without ultra textures and didn't have a single stutter, not even during cutscenes. Act 1 was horribly unplayable with ultra textures.

Thanks for this. Was totally fine locked 60fps 4k everything smooth until I installed the texture pack. Then the random stuttering began.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So with Windows 7 is almost exactly like I expected it to be based on what people report.

You're pretty much losing almost half the performance because the DX12 on Win 7 is a mere ''emulation''.

I can somehow give promps for MS for doing it anyway, but the game not actually having DX11 or being optimized for Win 7 just makes this whole thing pointless.

furfoot

Dec 12, 2017
Decided to re-install the texture pack and use my old settings (Cinematics framerate set to Unlimited, Minimum framerate set to None, etc) with the exception of this time turning the Tiled Resources to Off (this setting is supposed to "Improve texture streaming efficiency by optimizing texture loads into VRAM"). Since turning that off I haven't experienced a single stutter in gameplay or in a cinematic (fairly deep into Act II now).

So I've either gotten very lucky and haven't seen a stutter yet or maybe the Tiled Resources setting is causing the issues.

This right here fixed it for me. The main problem I had (not using DSR) was cinenmatics stuttering and this improved frametimes a lot for me during cinematics. 30 fps cinematics only give you the sense of better frametimes as a spike isn't as noticeable but when you actually monitor frametimes you'll see the graph still spiking.

D-Soo

Nov 1, 2017
This right here fixed it for me. The main problem I had (not using DSR) was cinenmatics stuttering and this improved frametimes a lot for me during cinematics. 30 fps cinematics only give you the sense of better frametimes as a spike isn't as noticeable but when you actually monitor frametimes you'll see the graph still spiking.
Damn i tried that and unfortunately i still get stuttering during the cinematics. I feel like ive tried everything

furfoot

Dec 12, 2017
Damn i tried that and unfortunately i still get stuttering during the cinematics. I feel like ive tried everything

Ran some more tests and it was apparantly not that setting which did much but more so me turning on RTSS frame limiting instead of in-game. RTSS is known to add 1 frame buffer/lag and it smooths out the cinematics decently compared to the in-game limiter, still not perfect though.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
The game is heavily AMD optimized owing to the GCN, shader intrinsics optimization on the Xbox One consoles. It's great to see the power of these AMD GPUs being fully harnessed using asynchronous compute and whatnot. On the other hand, as an Nvidia user, it's also a bit of a bummer to see at times 20-30% worse frame-rate on avg. and frame-times being all-over the place on the Nvidia equivalent.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The game is heavily AMD optimized owing to the GCN, shader intrinsics optimization on the Xbox One consoles. It's great to see the power of these AMD GPUs being fully harnessed using asynchronous compute and whatnot. On the other hand, as an Nvidia user, it's also a bit of a bummer to see at times 20-30% worse frame-rate on avg. and frame-times being all-over the place on the Nvidia equivalent.

To be fair, Gears 5's drivers aren't out on the AMD side but still not out on the Nvidia side. The gap should close a little once they release the drivers.

Go to Setttings -> Display and turn on HDR and WCG.

Not sure how I missed that. Thanks!

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Mouse and Keyboard against people on crossplay is ridiculously OP, my goodness me, I updated windows just to give this a shot and despite the new windows update adding mouse acceleration and numerous other issues I still got over 60 kills on king of the hill, have uninstalled the update now and rolled back.

Most people on console will not even know to turn crossplay off either so I imagine they will be wondering how people have such good aim with the sniper.

Thankfully I have disabled it because I wouldn't want to be on the end of that lol.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
To be fair, Gears 5's drivers aren't out on the AMD side but still not out on the Nvidia side. The gap should close a little once they release the drivers.

I can't think of many situations in which a game ready driver has ever positively affected performance much for me, and this applies back when I was using an AMD GPU as well. Except for times when maybe a game is straight up broken without a specific driver generally performance improvements from a driver are very mild if any occur.

What I'm hoping for is maybe the driver can fix the stuttering. Are AMD users experiencing the stuttering as well I wonder?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After installing MS Store version of the game I have noticed that there's a massive 62.7GB file inside \WindowsApps\MSIXVC\ folder.
Anyone else have this file? I'm not sure what it's for, it seems like preload leftover that was never deleted?

EDIT: After looking around I found this https://support.gearsofwar.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033421451-Required-Disk-Space
Note: PC players examining disk space may notice a folder named "MSIXVC" which will appear similar in size to the Gears 5 install folder. This is a side effect of how the installation uses a file system feature called junctions - it is not a second full copy of the game. If needed, you can verify the actual space consumed by the game on your hard drive under "Add or remove programs".
Seems like this is intended to be that way and doesn't actually consume extra drive space. What an odd solution.

Last edited:

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Game is bringing my PC to its knees and then causing a BSOD of death lol. All stock - 6700K, 980Ti, 16GB.

Game causes Chrome to cutout in the background and alt-tabbing is a nightmare.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Runs like a dream on a 1080Ti. What AMD advantage are you talking about? I don't see anything out of the ordinary in TPU performance analysis. For example RX 5700 XT is slower than 2700 SUPER and no AMD GPU can touch anything above RTX 2080 and 1080 Ti....

2160.png

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
So best mix of settings for 1080p60frame with a 1070/8600k?

I was waiting for my 2070super to arrive but i'm just curious to try the game.

Thanks.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how I can add the GamePass version to Steam so I can stream it from my desktop to my living room TV? I can't add the executable.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Runs like a dream on a 1080Ti. What AMD advantage are you talking about? I don't see anything out of the ordinary in TPU performance analysis. For example RX 5700 XT is slower than 2700 SUPER and no AMD GPU can touch anything above RTX 2080 and 1080 Ti....

I wouldn't call a $500 GPU that usually performs a bit better than the 5700XT running 1-2fps better normal. By TPU's own numbers going by a 5700XT review the 2070 Super performs 11% better on average, which is not overly off but that does have this game performing better than usual on AMD. Also TPU has a 5700XT being 5% faster than a 2060 Super on average yet here in Gears it's around 16% faster. And for some reason Async can't be enabled on Nvidia GPU's right now.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Some rather strange things I've noticed:

- resolutions between 91% and 100% run much slower than straight native 4k/100% on my 1080 Ti. Upscaling sometimes causes a performance hit?
- when lowering resolution below native and disabling HDR, Windows still continued to render in HDR with the game in SDR. When using native res however, Windows properly switches back to SDR when disabling HDR in the game. It's almost like native resolution has more control over your display settings (almost like being in exclusive fullscreen). Probably an edge case since there is no reason to disable HDR anyway, but just something I noticed while checking to see if HDR incurs a performance hit.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been able to play 3+ hours in total since turning off "Tiled Resources" and the game hasn't had a hitch or stutter in gameplay or cinematics, absolutely buttery smooth. Almost done with Act II so I'm hoping it continues as is into Act III and beyond, so far so good, fingers crossed.

This is with the enhanced textures installed.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't call a $500 GPU that usually performs a bit better than the 5700XT running 1-2fps better normal. By TPU's own numbers going by a 5700XT review the 2070 Super performs 11% better on average, which is not overly off but that does have this game performing better than usual on AMD. Also TPU has a 5700XT being 5% faster than a 2060 Super on average yet here in Gears it's around 16% faster. And for some reason Async can't be enabled on Nvidia GPU's right now.
That's still far from 20-30% that person who I quoted claimed (Md Ray). Also don't forget that Nvidia is releasing Gears 5 game ready driver on the 10th.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Game is bringing my PC to its knees and then causing a BSOD of death lol. All stock - 6700K, 980Ti, 16GB.

Game causes Chrome to cutout in the background and alt-tabbing is a nightmare.
That's weird. I have a much worse CPU than you and it runs fine for me including alt+tabbing and stuff. I would say it's a RAM issue but you have 16GB. Usually when alt+tabbing becomes a slow almost lagfest when switching between programs it's due to lack of RAM and the OS starts moving background tasks to the pagefile which is basically a partition on your HDD which is insanely slow compared to RAM which is why you have the lag when alt+tabbing. Are you running any background cleaner apps or gaming optimiser apps?

So best mix of settings for 1080p60frame with a 1070/8600k?

I was waiting for my 2070super to arrive but i'm just curious to try the game.

Thanks.
You could probably set everything to ultra and be just fine. I also have a 1070 and I'm running it at ultra across the board and achieving around ~90-110 fps average. My CPU is quite a bit worse than yours too with only 4 cores 8 threads compared to your full 6 cores 6 threads.