Votes: 161 37.6%
  • Controller

Votes: 235 54.9%
  • Both

Votes: 32 7.5%

• Total voters

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I started getting all kind of stuttering in act 2 so I disabled ultra textures and it was good after that. Hopefully we get a patch or the official Nvidia drivers help with it because we shouldn't have to do that.
You may be able to keep the Ultra textures enabled if you turn off tiled resources. Worked for me and I was getting severe stuttering before turning it off.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
What sort of stutters? I have some stutters during cutscenes but gameplay seems perfectly smooth.
It's visible when slowly panning the camera. Some sort of judder whenever you rely on dynamic res.

There's another form of stutter though that is more severe and random. Not sure what causes it but it degrades performance for me significantly. Only seems to fix itself when I make a change to any of the visual options.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get any stutters in this game (was getting them in Control). I've put minimum and maximum fps to 60.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I literally just upgraded my drivers to the most recent ones and I still get this message every time I load up. I don't have any performance issues really except occasional stutters when its loading new parts of the map so I have no clue why I keep getting this EVERY time I load up.

CW5YNLj.jpg

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Pretty happy with this but need to have that locked 60 before diving in. I take it the game (SP Campaign) tanks the frames way harder than the benchmark?

iyJswFL.png

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When is Gears coming out on Steam? I thought it was coming out today.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty happy with this but need to have that locked 60 before diving in. I take it the game (SP Campaign) tanks the frames way harder than the benchmark?

iyJswFL.png

I have a pretty similar thing happen in Gears 4. If I go straight into the campaign I get around 24 fps with everything maxed. If I run the benchmark and then go into the single player it runs at a locked 60 fps.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Other than Steam achievements, and just it being on steam in general any additional perks of going with the steam version?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

iyJswFL.png

The benchmark was more or less accurate with me with the exception of cutscenes, which you will see heavy fps drops in hence why I just set them to 30. There are areas with heavy volumetric lighting that will see your fps tank HARD. If you drop those insane settings to ultra then you'll see 60fps 90% of the time. That's what I did and I have basically the same setup as yours with the exception of the CPU (I have a 9900k), but that doesn't matter as much anyway since at 4k you're mostly gpu limited.

Last edited:

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
got through the tutorial okay with a few hitches, then when i finished that i thought why not do the benchmark. then it crapped itself and stalled to a halt, then came the pink graphics everywhere. updating my gpu drivers and will try it again.

edit: benchmark now runs totally okay without any hitching or the other fucked up shit. kinda confused how im able to get such okay settings with a close to min spec machine

1b5twWV.png

Last edited:

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I literally just upgraded my drivers to the most recent ones and I still get this message every time I load up. I don't have any performance issues really except occasional stutters when its loading new parts of the map so I have no clue why I keep getting this EVERY time I load up.

CW5YNLj.jpg

I didn't start getting that message until today (been playing since Friday). It's so weird.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Without using any of the insane setting the game is running really good for me. Everything on ultra and at 4k, I'm getting 60-80 frame, it usually sticks to 70 fps. I have a 2080 Ti and a very old 4770k. At 1440p on a 144hz monitor it ran even better I was getting 120-144 fps no problem.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Without using any of the insane setting the game is running really good for me. Everything on ultra and at 4k, I'm getting 60-80 frame, it usually sticks to 70 fps. I have a 2080 Ti and a very old 4770k. At 1440p on a 144hz monitor it ran even better I was getting 120-144 fps no problem.

Yup. Those are the settings I ran through the campaign on and it was a phenomenal experience. Loved every bit of it. The game is insanely well optimized. The insane settings are great, especially screen space reflections, but they significantly impact performance.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
Runs like a dream on a 1080Ti. What AMD advantage are you talking about? I don't see anything out of the ordinary in TPU performance analysis. For example RX 5700 XT is slower than 2700 SUPER and no AMD GPU can touch anything above RTX 2080 and 1080 Ti....

2160.png
uxTGhh2.png

My impression was based off of this result from DF's analysis. I just noticed that at lower resolution (1080p) the gap seems to be a lot wider between the two, as resolution is increased to 1440p and higher, framerate seems to even out. According to DF, RX 580 on avg. is 11% faster than GTX 1060 at 1440p down from ~25% at 1080p.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you get all the perks in the Steam ecosystem. Trading Cards, Steam Cloud, universal controller support, community mods...etc.

Are there any .ini edits than can be made on the Steam version or QOL stuff like skipping intro movies every time you open the game (which couldn't be done with other games?)

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Are there any .ini edits than can be made on the Steam version or QOL stuff like skipping intro movies every time you open the game (which couldn't be done with other games?)

I'm not sure yet. I've been holding out as I'm going with the Steam version, the standard Gears 5. Apparently it unlocks 9pm ET time today. So soon we'll find out what the community does with the files etc.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gave it a whirl (thank you Alienware free month of game pass), benchmarks results, all with texture pack installed on Ultra -

1080p with that minimum 60 FPS setting on -

2019-09-0968jfv.png

4K resolution (with in game slider) with 60 FPS setting on -

2019-09-091s5jud.png

4K resolution (with in game slider) without 60 FPS setting on -

2019-09-092d3kck.png

Whats that minimum frame rate thing do, kick Dynamic Res in to keep up the frame rate?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was playing and left the game, then my screen flashed and apparently Windows Update installed Nvidia's driver 431.85.

WTF Windows Update, 436.15 was fine, how dare you downgrade without asking ?!

Kurumi

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017

CW5YNLj.jpg

Just got that message a few minutes ago. I have a 1080 Ti.....

Wth?

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I had to uninstall ultra textures on my GTX 1080; the gameplay's fine, but there's way too much stuttering in some of the cutscenes. My guess is that the VRAM is getting too close to full at times and it's swapping textures in and out, causing the stutters. Installing on my SSD didn't really help.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Turned off Tiled Resources and that seems to have fixed the slight stutter I had in the cutscenes every time the camera angle changed. Can't confirm if messing with that setting screwed something else but so far after playing for one hour on chapter 2 everything seems smooth. (1080ti - Samsung sata ssd - 1440p - Ultra Textures ON - all framerate options unlocked)

_Oni

Oct 28, 2017
My game is crashing to desktop every 20 min. Disabled TabletInputService but the problem still persists. Playing on an EVGA 2080Ti + 9900k. Any ideas of why this is happening?
Didn't have this problem during the beta
EDIT: I also have the latest drivers;

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a lot of audio problems with it cutting out or getting desynced so I'm going to try turning off tiled resources and limiting cutscenes to 30 to see if that fixes it.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have screen tearing issues on their GTX 1080 Ti with Gsync turned on? Mine seems to experience it from time to time.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit! this game runs damn good on my 1070 at 1440p!. just a few settings wont go to insane without massive drops but the visual difference is negligable. my 2080 super comes in tomorrow and i was gonna hold off before playing but i dont see a reason now!

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I played a bit last night and I got some HUGE stutters in a couple cutscenes. The framerate just tanked into a freeze, then raised back out of it. 2080 ti/i7-7700 with dynamic resolution on.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
The benchmark was more or less accurate with me with the exception of cutscenes, which you will see heavy fps drops in hence why I just set them to 30. There are areas with heavy volumetric lighting that will see your fps tank HARD. If you drop those insane settings to ultra then you'll see 60fps 90% of the time. That's what I did and I have basically the same setup as yours with the exception of the CPU (I have a 9900k), but that doesn't matter as much anyway since at 4k you're mostly gpu limited.

I have a pretty similar thing happen in Gears 4. If I go straight into the campaign I get around 24 fps with everything maxed. If I run the benchmark and then go into the single player it runs at a locked 60 fps.

Thanks both. My early start got the better of me but I'll be messing with the game today.

Oct 25, 2017
I just got game pass for PC but the install button is greyed out? Did I do something wrong?

Windows needed to be updated....

Last edited:

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
uxTGhh2.png

My impression was based off of this result from DF's analysis. I just noticed that at lower resolution (1080p) the gap seems to be a lot wider between the two, as resolution is increased to 1440p and higher, framerate seems to even out. According to DF, RX 580 on avg. is 11% faster than GTX 1060 at 1440p down from ~25% at 1080p.
Very very different 1080p results from other sources. *shrug*

1080.png

05191120991l.jpg

Here's one from pcgameshardware.de, they don't have RX 580 but they do have RX590 and 570 in comparison.
OjLdATV.png

Last edited:

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In-game benchmark vs custom benchmarking section, as usual. Results for Gears5 are a bit all over the place but on average both vendors seem to be tied in this one.
Yes results can vary from various sources depending on testing methodology, but still, DF results are an outlier. I'm not seeing any other publication claiming 20-30% AMD advantage like DF did.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Yes results can vary from various sources depending on testing methodology, but still, DF results are an outlier. I'm not seeing any other publication claiming 20-30% AMD advantage like DF did.
This might be a case of other publications missing Async compute. DF results make sense if AMD has async and NVIDIA doesn't.
E: Afaik Nvidia still doesn't truly support Async compute.

Druida

Nov 22, 2017
Digitalfoundry in this case runs the benchmark with custom "optimised" settings.
Maybe some of this settings in high or medium are more demanding in Nvidia that AMD.
Async compute its active for default in Amd graphics.