Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
My gender reveal was when i popped out lol...

So much damage done for a gender reveal sheeeeeesh....

oldboss

Shinra Employee
Nov 9, 2017
I didn't know gender-reveal parties existed. Is that exclusively American, on top of being decidedly ridiculous and pointless?

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Why are they called gender reveal parties when they aren't revealing the gender? They're revealing the biological sex, right? Am I crazy? Is gender no longer a social construct?

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Why are they called gender reveal parties when they aren't revealing the gender? They're revealing the biological sex, right? Am I crazy? Is gender no longer a social construct?

IMO, "gender reveal" parties predate the socially acceptable differentiation between sex and gender. I'd argue most Americans still don't understand sex vs gender and they definitely didn't understand it 10 years ago.

But yeah, "sex reveal" is definitely more accurate.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I swear "back in my day" people just told people over the phone as and when they knew, or if they were asked they'd say. Are these reveal things stemmed from Americans just wanting to do everything bigger and "better"? I don't quite remember anyone in my family or my friend's family having one whenever there was a pregnancy, I think my parents just said "oh Rosie down the road is having a baby and it's a boy" I don't think they ever went to a special party.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
America.... the birthplace of promposals and gender reveal parties.

Tells you everything about America, really.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This continues to be one of the most dumb trends, is this some boomer shit or it's actually millenials?

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
This continues to be one of the most dumb trends, is this some boomer shit or it's actually millenials?
Who do you think is having gender reveal parties, 30 year olds or 60 year olds?

That said I continue to be puzzled why the chromosome setup is interesting to the wider public. Have these somehow morphed into a double dip on baby showers, so it's a financial incentive?

Otherwise, when we were having kids, the only person that really needed to know the sex was my wife and I because we had to learn which one of us was going to be at a disadvantage when it came to understanding how to keep their bits clean, and then some of the weird inherent biases many people have about gender which color your parenting. As a father my lessons were to not anticipate gender ("gender disappointment" type of things) and also if we had a daughter to ensure she was not treated with kid gloves, as some studies showed that fathers who rough housed with their daughters correlated with better mental health outcomes for the child, etc. This culminated in a game I used to play with my daughters called "who wants to get beat up" where they run and try to push me over and I sort of wrestle them down. Forever memorialized in a second or third grade drawing by my daughter of me with stubble and her writing "I like to get beat up". Good times.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
ON FUCKING CALIFORNIA!?

Things are already proper fucked, It sure as fuck doesn't need your bullshit help you fuckos :/

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
These things just keep happening. The cis just won't stop causing calamity in their devotion to gender norms

I'm going to have made this post at least four times by year's end 'cause I'm pretty sure I already have once or twice

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So corny. I hope all their friends know and never let their dumb asses live this down

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Selfish, "look at me" idiots. All of them. Whether it be cake, balloons or otherwise.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
When did gender reveal parties become a thing?

I have a 17 and 14 year old kid and I never heard of such a thing until about a year or two ago. "Back in my day" it was just a ultra sound technician saying "Do you wanna know the gender of your baby?" and that was it. Aside from the parents and maybe a couple of immediate family members, no one really cares at that point. Plus child birth is a long unpredictable path. I wonder if it might be ill-advised to have such a spectacle when the journey is far from complete but I guess that's up to individual parents.

I just think this appears to be another byproduct of the "look at me" social media era we're in right now. I might have a less negative view if it didn't appear as if these gender reveal parties we're being completely staged for social media content. But I guess every generation comes up with their own dumb traditions.
My sister married into a huge family and has a decent number of close friends. It's for personal convience. Never did something crazy like this tho

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Our gender reveal party was when our kids were born. Fireworks are not needed to reveal a babies gender...

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I got a couple of smoke bombs for like $5 for a gender reveal photo. It wasn't until I purchased them that I realized they were classified as fireworks and therefore illegal to use iny city.

I'm not going to use them anymore but I can understand why people would consider it harmless. I thought the smoke was just colored flour that popped with some air pressure kinda setup or something, but apparently some of them are explosive.

People should probably be careful about anything explosive in California given the heat and fire risk.
They are like flamethrowers out the top while the smoking is coming out for the entire 15-30 seconds there smoke.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The human race is going to be wiped out in the near future due to some idiots with way too much resources available for a party trying one up other parties

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe these things just 1. keep fucking escalating, 2. keep escalating despite huge fires and deaths and so on already happening due to them, and 3. are still a trend anyway. Shouldn't things have fallen out of fashion over the past decade? For everyone's sake?

At this point, and how apparently it's ridiculously easy to just fuck around with explosives, feels like someone is absolutely going to end up doing some kind of accidental mass murder and yet other people will still be buying more incredibly dangerous shit for their party.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Cis people are a fucking joke. The only good gender reveal parties are of trans people coming out years later as they tend to make fun of cis gender reveal parties & aren't endangering the lives of other people & obviously aren't inherently transphobic, but the cissies? Get fucked.

This is a thread about gender reveal parties, so I feel like this is an obligatory post for those now:

I could listen to hours of this. ACAB - Assigned Cop At Birth is perfect lmao

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Y'all can't just cut a fuckin' cake or somethin?? Ugh these gender reveals are way too out of hand.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure we just sent out a text message with a picture of the ultrasound saying boy or girl after the appointment that told us.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a lot of people ignoring that this was started by a cop who wanted to use his gun as well. very American

edit; different event

Last edited:

accx

Oct 28, 2017
Just buy some confetti shooters people. They are $20 on Amazon and you won't burn down 50,000 acres of land.
*anxiety-huffs and puffs between each word*
BUT.HOW.AM.I.SUPPOSE.TO.ENJOY.THE.BIRTH.OF.MY.CHILD.WITHOUT.THE.FEAR.OF.BURNING.DOWN.OTHER.PEOPLES.HOUSES?!
*doesn't stop crying for 12 hours*

people are so silly sometimes.