Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
that's happened before i think

yep

www.cnn.com

Officials release video from gender reveal party that ignited a 47,000-acre wildfire

A video just released by the US Forest Service shows the moment when a gender reveal party in Arizona went horribly wrong, sparking a wildfire that burned nearly 47,000 acres and caused more than $8 million in damage.

www.youtube.com

Video shows moment wildfire was started at gender reveal party

A video released by the US Forest Service shows the moment an off-duty border patrol officer in Arizona shoots a makeshift target with the words "Boy" and "G...

Wow, not only is this 1.a gender reveal stunt that 2. started a wildfire, but 3. to trigger the explosive they 4. shot it with a gun. AND 5. the person who pulled the trigger was an off-duty border patrol agent.

There are so many layers to how exclusively, uniquely American this is.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
Honestly, "our performative gender bullshit that winds up ruining countless peoples' lives" is extremely on-brand for cis folks.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Man, I remember back in the day there was a lot of anxiety and argument over whether you should know your baby's sex or not. People actually debated this.

Now there's giant production numbers revealing the sex of the baby. Any excuse for cake and vodka, I guess.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
a lot of people ignoring that this was started by a cop who wanted to use his gun as well. very American

This one was too? I know the previous time one of these caused huge fires, it was that; not sure if you're getting confused the articles people posted about that time or not.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen, though...

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Man, I remember back in the day there was a lot of anxiety and argument over whether you should know your baby's sex or not. People actually debated this.

Now there's giant production numbers revealing the sex of the baby. Any excuse for cake and vodka, I guess.

In the IVF community, there's a lot of discussion about knowing the baby's sex too. Since so many of us PGS test our embryos, the sex is known even before transfer of the embryo back into the uterus.

Some reproductive endocrinologists don't let the parents know the sex. Some do. Some don't let parents pick sex. Some do.

Personally our doctor let us know and let us pick. However, that's not the norm and there are some doctors who feel that ethically questionable.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
How long have these been a thing?

I feel like I only started hearing about them less than 5 years ago and am not sure if the internet popularized them or what.

theyve been a thing for a long time, I remember when I was growing up and def hearing about the cake revealing gender via different colored fillings, that was pretty common. social media age is causing people to take it to another level ofc.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Such an obnoxious trend. The people who have these reveals probably have "Live, Laugh, Love" on the wall somewhere in their home.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
This was the best gender reveal and it will never be topped. So everyone else should stop trying.

MFAezyc.jpg

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
No wonder I could never get married. I don't even want friends/family at a wedding let alone "bragging" about my baby's gender. These people have too much money and too much time. Or are just full of themselves.

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Our gender reveal was simply the nurse performing the ultrasound or whatever and asking us if we'd like to know. We said yes of course, we then called our parents, and that was about the extent of it. Our friends were told sometime shortly after too I guess, but I don't recall any of us making a big deal of it. I think one of our couple friends invited us to dinner?

I've never really understood the need for a big reveal party and theatrics. It seems like whenever I hear about them, it's usually because something has gone wrong. Thankfully, none of our friends have ever had one.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this shit is dumb. Just like everyone feeling the need to post every detail of their life on social media and other people's need to comment on it to show they care. It's all a big circle jerk.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
This shit is infuriating. We are doomed as a species.
Because some folks, usually white folks, will use any excuse to throw a party, but if it's not an "experience", some people won't bother attending, because most people don't care enough that they need to know the gender in advance of the birth and will gladly duck out of a social event that disinterests them. Which is a sign that, instead of trying to justify these parties by ratcheting up the spectacle bullshit to get attendance, they should just stop having them or at least expect a low attendance.

There's also a factor of "keeping up with the Joneses", where they must out-perform a previous gender reveal party that was previously attended due to a necessity to be seen of higher social standing and more likes on the 'Gram.

And before you ask, yes, these reasons ARE fucking stupid, but when has a reason needed to be good for people to use it to justify their behaviour?
All of this is super accurate. People are doing pointless destructive nonsense constantly just for some ephemeral social validation. It's a cancer on society.

dimelo

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
MIA
Some of y'all need to lighten up lol I have a big ass family so I've been to a few of these parties, normally they involve a cake or confetti poppers.

It's just another way for the fam to get together eat, drink, and have a good time. I think it's harmless fun when kept simple.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
They should rename them to genital reveal party so not only it's more accurate but it also sounds weirder.

OP
OP
construct

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Some of y'all need to lighten up lol I have a big ass family so I've been to a few of these parties, normally they involve a cake or confetti poppers.

It's just another way for the fam to get together eat, drink, and have a good time. I think it's harmless fun when kept simple.
read the room

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
They should rename them to genital reveal party so not only it's more accurate but it also sounds weirder.

I mean, it's sort of a thing. Just Google "gender reveal no nuts" and you'll see tons of examples of people who don't have a problem with the discussion of baby genitals.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

The problem is that this one didn't involve cake and poppers. It involved explosives that started a HUGE wildfire.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Whatever happened to simply opening a box, using a piñata or cutting a cake? Kay and Peele should remake this skit with stupid gender reveal stunts instead of hats.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing gender-reveal parties are good for are weeding out jerk dads who are bummed they're having a daughter.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
This is the second gender reveal story I've heard that led to a forest fire.

Oct 25, 2017
Canadians have these parties too, dunno about fireworks but it's still self indulgent nonsense for social media

Flash mob proposals are also ridiculous

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like every month we get a new story about how one of these reveal parties causes large amounts of damage or destruction. My personal feelings on gender reveal parties aside many of the "creative" ways people try to make for the actual reveal are extremely irresponsible and negligent. There's no reason some of these parties need to go to the extreme that they do.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Even when genital reveal parties aren't causing wildfires, they can cause people with heavy sex-preference to have unexpected public meltdowns that their baby doesn't have the genitals they wanted. It's just a bad idea all around.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
My reasonable brain: this is awful and should be condemned

My dumb brain: holy shit they literally exploded the gender binary that's actually kind of awesome

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like, why does this information need a party or event at all?

Don't fool yourself into thinking anyone else gives a damn that you're having a baby, never mind what gender it is.