• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
And the Women & Minority Hater / Adderall Abuser of the Year Award goes to..

"Shoutouts to all the faggots and losers out there who watch my stream. *makes white power hand gesture* Special thanks to XR without which none of this could be possible. And of course the videogame industry who can't seem to get their act together so that shitheads like me aren't put on a pedestal for kids whose parents don't manage their screen time."

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
They should just go the other direction and shine a spotlight on the most toxic gamer of the year. Get Boogie up there again going up against Filip Miucin

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I don't delude myself...I already know I'm out of touch with the young'uns these days; but every time a graphic like this pops up my reaction is always:

QqN4.gif

Same. Never heard of those people other than Ninja which I know plays Fortnite that's all I got.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
I think epic created that content and twitch engineers created the platform for it. But sure talking in front of a game is content now...or maybe calling it that is what caused the problem in the first place.

Regardless of whether we like it or not, it is content. I think there's a hundred other streamers who are much better and do more for charities and games than Ninja, and therefore more deserving of the award, but I still consider their work "content". It's disingenuous to say he's doesn't make content or entertain, no matter how derivative it might be.

AnubisRising

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
He wont stream with women because he said people will assume that they are a couple and start rumours and shit.

He doesn't HAVE to stream with or promote women on his streams, they are his streams after all and he gets to chose who he plays with and all that, but his reasoning behind not playing with women is the issue. He refuses to play with or promote a huge part of the world just because some internet trolls would be spamming hearts or kissy emojis or someshit.
right thats all gamers would do its not like gamers have shown how immature and toxic they are over the years

Vivi

Nov 10, 2017
I feel like the award being for "popularity" celeb trending status is the problem. There are countless small YouTube and Twitch creators that are the kindest people and really dedicated to their passion. But the fact that they have maybe 50k subs instead of 20m and maybe talk about classic Sega games instead of Fortnite somehow means they aren't important enough to represent the gaming community as a whole.

I mean it would be cool if smaller but still loved creators got a chance too.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
What is Geoff's take on gamergate btw, the bedrock of alt right recruitment and videogame harassment movements?

Not sure. I'd kinda... hope he'd be critical of GamerGate because Keighley has himself been a personal victim of ridiculous attacks by the gaming community. But, Keighley has always carefully walked this middle ground of not wanting to upset his most profitable viewers, which is probably that community.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Side issue, but the term "Content Creator" to mean "Streamer" is real bizarre to me. No hating on streamers. I know it takes talent and hard work to do. I just think the term "content creator" feels more appropriate to someone that's making levels or mods in a game.

MisterBear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
All streamers will be bad people, because all streamers are humans and show themselves for multiple hours a day. I guarantee even the flawless ResetEra members, would have some flaws exposed if streaming 8 hours a day and being put in the spotlight. This trend of trying to act morally superior to every internet personality is so pathetic, we all suck.

With that said, I don't think Ninja deserves an award haha.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how the twitter account just made a tweet to only congratulate Ninja alone.
Not one category has this.
They just want that crowd

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If they are going to nominate a dude who wont stream with half the world's popupation because of no fault of their own, Game Awards better not talk about being a show for everyone.

It's a joke.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure. I'd kinda... hope he'd be critical of GamerGate because Keighley has himself been a personal victim of ridiculous attacks by the gaming community. But, Keighley has always carefully walked this middle ground of not wanting to upset his most profitable viewers, which is probably that community.

didn't dude invited Boogie to his e3 stream? dude's a fencesitter at best.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I don't watch a lot of Ninja Content, but he seems to have changed a lot from what my brother says. I was playing Fornite on my switch the other day to kill time, and decided to watch a few streams here and there to learn a bit (I was getting destroyed), and he seemed like a very chill dude. I did find the stream ok, nothing amazing like watching EZA, but nothing weird or controversial.
His decision to not stream with women is probably controversial, but it is his right, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Not everybody can or is willing to be a champion of inclusivity, even more when his lifehood is at the stake.
As far as I know he doesnt use the N word any more and he apologized for that.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Side issue, but the term "Content Creator" to mean "Streamer" is real bizarre to me. No hating on streamers. I know it takes talent and hard work to do. I just think the term "content creator" feels more appropriate to someone that's making levels or mods in a game.
They create content for people to watch.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, they should just call the award "Most Likely to Have a Heated Gaming Moment in the Next Year."

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
tbh, i really don't see why some people hate him because he doesn't want to play with a woman, is that really important?
why this is even a problem?

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm not too familiar with those gaming personality but ERA has a problem with almost all of them every year.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They should totally ditch this award. But I guess they want the fans of these streamers tuning up at the show.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I don't care for this award or for any streamers, let alone Ninja, but if we're doing this for the kids, then should we ban all 6+ games for the other Awards categories as well? Can't support toxic masculinity the game, RDR2?

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care for this award or for any streamers, let alone Ninja, but if we're doing this for the kids, then should we ban all 6+ games for the other Awards categories as well? Can't support toxic masculinity the game, RDR2?
Hilarious, perfect name-avatar for the comment also.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
All streamers will be bad people, because all streamers are humans and show themselves for multiple hours a day. I guarantee even the flawless ResetEra members, would have some flaws exposed if streaming 8 hours a day and being put in the spotlight. This trend of trying to act morally superior to every internet personality is so pathetic, we all suck.

With that said, I don't think Ninja deserves an award haha.
That should not be an excuse to act like a massive moron in front of hundreds on the internet, specially impressionable children. If you are not suited to keep your cool and behave, maybe they should seek another job. No matter how exhausted or tired you could be, it you are well educated and have a good vocabulary, you should have no problem IMO.

Hikari_Ryu

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Don't really know much about Ninja, but if it was me, I would nominate Easy Allies. Still, good thing boogie is not nominated for anything.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Sorry I don't keep up with all the gaming controversies but what exactly has this guy done? All I know about him is he makes more in a month than I do in a year.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I don't know that he's really that bad of a role model. He has a PG stream now with zero cursing and generally does what he can to keep himself out of controversy (despite the recent 'stream sniping' episode). There have been far, far worse people spotlighted for this award in the past (e.g., Boogie). Ninja is rather innocuous by comparison.
Him and his friends that he streams with breaking out into "stereotype black speak" isn't something that I think should be ignored or something that makes him a role model. See that happen to many times with him. Sure he doesn't curse anymore, good for him. There are many other ways he's a problem. To much of it gets ignored and swept away simply because he does some good.

Apparently it's because he has a wife and gamers can be a toxic, shit-stirring bunch.

A toxic audience he himself nurtured. If there is one thing I've learned from watching many streams on twitch is that you get the audience you want and allow. I've seen many streamers big and small set the tone and law of what is allowed in their streams and what isn't. I've seen many that have no problem dropping the ban hammer on people to enforce the tone of their chats. Communities on twitch that are toxic are allowed to be that way by the streamer for whatever reason they might have. He has issues with how his viewers would action if he had another female streamer on then that's on him for allowing his community to become that way. He fostered that to get as big as he is. Anything else is a excuse to remove all responsibility from himself.

The whole category comes off as wanting cover for wanting to have the trending gamer category again. Content creator!? His videos are largely sections of his live streams! He's not doing long form discussions, reviewing games, previewing them.

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
They create content for people to watch.

I guess? But that feels like a stretch. Again, I realize they do a lot of work but they seem more like performers. Which, again, is fine and takes a lot of talent. I'm just wondering if we had someone actually making mods and levels in games like Dreams or whatever then would they get nominated for "content creator" or do we come up with another category for content creators so they're not confused with performers?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why do they still have this category. When Geoff asked what they can do to improve the Game Awards the number 1 answer was getting rid of trending gamer. Which I guess they technically did but it sounds like it's under a new name.

Like someone else mentioned these guys have huge built in fanbases and the show wants to attract them. I think it's sort of sad and desperate, like imagine if a movie awards show gave out an award to "best trailer YouTube reaction video" or some shit, but I get why they do it. These shows are probably not cheap to put on, and having that additional audience to bank on probably helps with sponsorships and game reveals (which is mostly what gamers care about anyway).

Yung Kyubii

Banned
May 12, 2018
Everybody must be flawless.

Lol'd at people not wanting there to be an award at all, meaning they think they are shit as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Boogie cohosted E3 this year with Geoff. He just doesn't care about stuff like this. He just wants the audience they bring him.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of situation for Geoff. On one hand he wants the awards to have mass appeal and to have awards that feature relevant figures in the gaming community.

On the other hand those being awarded don't adhere to the same standards and principles that Geoff seems to be aiming for with his awards show. I don't think that the Games Awards has reached a point yet where it has enough influence to exclude certain popular people from being awarded without risking alienating a significant portion of its audience or risk losing sponsors.

If he hadn't added the category, I believe that people would pester and bother him about why there isn't such an award.

From what I understand from some of the people that worked on it and from some of Geoff's statements the show runs a very tight ship. He's been very clear and forthcoming with what his aim is but until then I think we are stuck with the nomination of controversial popular gamers.