MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony wants to play by its own rules then it must be done. Otherwise they need to do the legwork to get PSN officially in those regions.

This *wink wink, nudge nudge* make an account in another region was never going to fly.

This

Even if they don't expect son to be big for PlayStation in those territories - if they want it tied to PC games then it becomes more of a social media/platform less offering and needs to be global

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It's entirely hypothesis on my part, but I surmise this is mostly Sony saying "What's the easiest, smallest thing we can do to avoid future headache?", which has resulted in the delisting.
What headaches? Didn't they make PSN linking optional for HD2? Why not make it optional for the MP part of a mostly SP GOT as well and be done with it?

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
What headaches? Didn't they make PSN linking optional for HD2? Why not make it optional for the MP part of a mostly SP GOT as well and be done with it?

The most likely reason is that GoT multiplayer is designed to utilise PSN infrastructure in a way that Helldivers was not; so you can't just make it optional without making the infrastructure it depends on (match making, user accounts etc.) independent from PSN.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the programmers at Sony are stupid enough to not know how to implement linking PSN accounts with a different region.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't think the programmers at Sony are stupid enough to not know how to implement linking PSN accounts with a different region.
They're definitely not stupid (they work at one of the biggest tech companies in the world), they are simply already busy doing other stuff. Sony arranging them to deal with this issue might hinder their assigned task, which might hurt their profit. From what I've learned so far, Sony might need to remake the whole PSN system from the ground up.

At the end of the day, it's all about money and how they are spending their resources.

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020
They're definitely not stupid (they work at one of the biggest tech companies in the world), they are simply already busy doing other stuff. Sony arranging them to deal with this issue might hinder their assigned task, which might hurt their profit. From what I've learned so far, Sony might need to remake the whole PSN system from the ground up.

At the end of the day, it's all about money and how they are spending their resources.
had me in the first half, ngl

May 15, 2019
Has Sony ever expanded PSN accounts into new regions after initially creating the system for the PS3? Given how much of a shitshow the whole name changing thing was and how it broke compatibility in certain PS3 games, I wonder if they just literally can't add more territories due to all the spaghetti code.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Pretty much this. You can blame Sony all you want, but this was a non issue in the first place. These "unsupported" countries have been playing Playstation games using PSN on Playstation (I lived in the Philippines) with no problems before. Now, because of the helldivers fiasco, it has turned the Eye of Sauron into something that was basically a "gray" area that Sony are now forced to acknowledge.
Just because the console user base has been bending over to Sony's demands doesn't mean everyone else has to as well. They are selling their games on Valve's store now, not their own.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People just love to hate Sony.

It doesn't matter what they do, whether it's what was demanded of them or if MS/Nintendo have done that same thing.
I swear somebody invariably writes some variation of this post on Era whenever Sony catches flak for anything at all.

Hell, I remember the lead up to the PS5's release. Puff piece after puff piece was posted here. I'm talking like a dozen, back to back over the course of a few weeks. And then like two articles criticizing some aspect of Sony's policy were posted in the span of a single week, and somehow that warranted several posts about how Era actually hates Sony. I'll never understand it, when Sony is pretty clearly the favored console ecosystem both here and basically everywhere else.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Has Sony ever expanded PSN accounts into new regions after initially creating the system for the PS3? Given how much of a shitshow the whole name changing thing was and how it broke compatibility in certain PS3 games, I wonder if they just literally can't add more territories due to all the spaghetti code.

Yes. Most recent one was Croatia and as far as i remember people couldn't purchase things there for almost a year because it took them that much to replace their local currency with Euro (because Croatia stopped using their own currency and switched fully to Euro).

May 15, 2019
Yes. Most recent one was Croatia and as far as i remember people couldn't purchase things there for almost a year because it took them that much to replace their local currency with Euro (because Croatia stopped using their own currency and switched fully to Euro).
If that's the case I really don't understand why they wouldn't at least expand into some of these bigger territories. The thing somebody posted about them holding a huge launch event in Egypt despite not even having accounts there is wild.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I swear somebody invariably writes some variation of this post on Era whenever Sony catches flak for anything at all.

Hell, I remember the lead up to the PS5's release. Puff piece after puff piece was posted here. I'm talking like a dozen, back to back over the course of a few weeks. And then like two articles criticizing some aspect of Sony's policy were posted in the span of a single week, and somehow that warranted several posts about how Era actually hates Sony. I'll never understand it, when Sony is pretty clearly the favored console ecosystem both here and basically everywhere else.
It's the same with criticism of all the console makers. You have the hives of console warriors on the site dwelling in the console specific threads which acts as echo chambers where they can talk about how everyone else is out to get them and they start to believe it. So whenever they see criticism in other threads they feel like they have to fight back against the evil conspiracy against their favorite games company.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024

I recommend you and anyone to not invest time in forums where toxicity is daily or in social media where anybody can spread negativity, you invest too much time in those kind of sites, thats why you see everything in negative, imagine how many people dont go to twitter, in this case resetera and is playing some games daily and will never learn about this "backlash, review bomb, whatever this and whatever that" , just be positive and stop arguin and taking care about what unkwnown people says in forums or social media, and you will see a really big change in a positive way

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
We had official PSN for ages but yeah Sony were to lazy to implement prices in Euros while also showing what it would cost in the Croatian Kuna which was mandated to be done for a year. The ability to buy shit was locked away for a while like you said.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The most likely reason is that GoT multiplayer is designed to utilise PSN infrastructure in a way that Helldivers was not; so you can't just make it optional without making the infrastructure it depends on (match making, user accounts etc.) independent from PSN.
As I've said they could just make the whole MP component an optional free DLC and lock that into geo. This way the game could still be sold in regions without PSN as an SP only title.
This whole situation just highlight how little Sony cares about its own PC efforts.
Although to be fair their console efforts aren't doing much better in terms of geographical availability.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
As I've said they could just make the whole MP component an optional free DLC and lock that into geo. This way the game could still be sold in regions without PSN as an SP only title.
This whole situation just highlight how little Sony cares about its own PC efforts.
Although to be fair their console efforts aren't doing much better in terms of geographical availability.

This was never going to happen. You already have people crying that they were being sold "half" a game and/or demanding discounts.

Smugplayer

Apr 18, 2022
The OG Doom games had it, people complained and it got removed however with this game its an issue with Sony's ToS which specifically is about countries not supported and these countries are 100+...

If you are so ardent in your ideal to complain against something that has an issue like that, delisting a game from that region is bound to be one of the very possible options, you can guess at least about if you care enough that is

A Big corp isn't going to expand its support into these many countries overnight, it'll more like just delist the game from these smaller countries and MAYBE do something about it in the future.

Also one more thing, forcing a sign in and a launcher are two extremely different experiences with different consequences.

A launcher can disrupt the user experience in many technical ways that a login can't unless its an online game and if you disconnnect, it takes you out of the game but thats bound to happen due to the game being online only...

With SP games the PSN login is optional unless it has any online modes..in which case those modes will require it only.
You keep complaining about this and have conveniently ignored my first post to you about this. You keep saying the same thing over and over with no change in discourse and the acknowledgement of the opposite is entirely superficial. Stop getting mad at people and pretending their actions are virtue signaling. It's so out of place for something that is clearly not in people who are complaining's hands. How are these people being rightfully mad about the removal of it from countries via PSN logins have anything to do with them determining availability in other nations .

Getting exploited by a corp is the norm in these countries because we NEVER have a choice. Our voices are not heard because we have tried before and don't get shit done cause we are not the regions where the money majorly comes from. At least we get to play the games. Beggers can't be choosers...

I have many people i know who get PS consolse in my country but have their region set to Saudi Arabia. Its a common thing. We play consoles and have accounts which are not from our country and haven't been 'banned'. Guess what, these people get to play those games legally. That is a win

You literally admit to this. The majority of people complaining aren't from the barred countries and somehow still worked in support of not getting them removed entirely. The effort of review bombing literally helped players from your areas. Yet you seem to keep crying about how it doesn't "always" help. You admitted it helped in DOOM and it literally helped in Helldivers. Any negative that comes from this isn't because of outcry from players, its because of the company you want to run defense for (because you still had a loophole to play on PS5) is making such poor decisions they are choosing to ignore any pushback to make the games better. The negative review have literally nothing to do with it.

Like what is your game? Letting Sony keep doing these decisions without pushback does what? It's the exact same end point. Except you had a little loophole you exploited that would have been eventually patched if they understood what was happening.

Is it not demeaning for you to have to be forced to not only buy a console for specific games you could have had potentially on PC, but also have to do country work arounds within a worthless login system that exists for no reason outside of the fact they are refusing to deal with you? Its actually not out of the reach of a multi billion dollar company that they couldn't just allow these overnight if they wanted to. What exactly is stopping them outside of outside threat of supplying a good for a new consumer market? The sheer fact they refuse, leads credence to being complicit in a greater misdeed happening via global markets, but you are already seemingly overlooking that to play their games and stop outcry on forums instead of letting people badmouth them.

You also talked about how it "Takes Two to Tango" when referring to Sony and the practices, but you have intentionally refused to acknowledge or simply do not understand the amount of power in decision-making a multibillion dollar company has over anyone it chooses to work with. Every single company with less money than them has less power and cannot refuse to let them take reins without fear of complete failure. There is no just way to claim the smaller companies are complicit in the decision outside of the fact that a strong arm is literally forcing them to make it. Its a complete misunderstanding of power dynamics within the world at large. These independent studios do not just go to Sony because they think their game will be successful without them, they are relying on them for either funding, marketing and distribution. Usually all three. If you cannot see how this is not a "Two to Tango" scenario, you are misguided and I hope you find something to come to that realization soon.

It is not a fault of people who push back against bad practices when the company does more horrid practices afterwards. There is literally no way you could ever prove the two are related and that Sony would not have done so anyway.

Last edited:

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022

From my own experience with software development at large companies and years of talking to friends (at Toshiba, Oracle, old/new Microsoft, so on), I have my theory about this, and when it does and doesn't happen.

It's not developer incompetence, but it's not other tasks and money either. It's about middle-management incentives at most software companies. As a middle-manager, your incentives are to ship new things not to maintain old, decrepit things. And to the extent that you're working on old things, you're rewarded for shipping features, not things were implemented badly in the first place. As much as I hate working on database fucks ups like this, it's painful to programmers to have such fundamentally broken implementations lingering around, because you have to work around them all the time. You'll want to fix them.

But it's just better for your manager's career to tell upper management that the team is working on the new thing rather than tell them that you're working on making the most basic infrastructure your company relies on better, more efficient, cheaper to run, etc. The best of software publishers out there have cottoned to this, but it's sadly still common at many places.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017

L
I'm willing to bet there is a negligible if not Zero % technical limitation to expanding regions. The limitations and costs come from having to
1. pay the lawyers to figure out how to adhere to the laws of the region and guarantee there's no risk of lawsuits.
2. Pay the tax consultants to figure out how to adhere to the tax rules of region
3. Pay consultants to translate all the legalese into the official language of the country.
4. Pay the lawyers/consultants to figure out if there any any licensing issues for selling media/services to that country

Etc etc

I'm willing to bet.. it's a redtape cost not a development one

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
From my own experience with software development at large companies and years of talking to friends (at Toshiba, Oracle, old/new Microsoft, so on), I have my theory about this, and when it does and doesn't happen.

It's not developer incompetence, but it's not other tasks and money either. It's about middle-management incentives at most software companies. As a middle-manager, your incentives are to ship new things not to maintain old, decrepit things. And to the extent that you're working on old things, you're rewarded for shipping features, not things were implemented badly in the first place. As much as I hate working on database fucks ups like this, it's painful to programmers to have such fundamentally broken implementations lingering around, because you have to work around them all the time. You'll want to fix them.

But it's just better for your manager's career to tell upper management that the team is working on the new thing rather than tell them that you're working on making the most basic infrastructure your company relies on better, more efficient, cheaper to run, etc. The best of software publishers out there have cottoned to this, but it's sadly still common at many places.

Well Sony is not know to work on a new things either. Sure they ship few over the generation but they then ship next console without half of those features and start over. I truly believe that main issue for them i bad base (whole regional accounts and archaic databases) and everyone is afraid to touch it in fear that they will break it.

L
I'm willing to bet there is a negligible if not Zero % technical limitation to expanding regions. The limitations and costs come from having to
1. pay the lawyers to figure out how to adhere to the laws of the region and guarantee there's no risk of lawsuits.
2. Pay the tax consultants to figure out how to adhere to the tax rules of region
3. Pay consultants to translate all the legalese into the official language of the country.
4. Pay the lawyers/consultants to figure out if there any any licensing issues for selling media/services to that country

Etc etc

I'm willing to bet.. it's a redtape cost not a development one

As i said above i truly believe that issue is technical. All things you mentioned are more-less solved thing and all other PC stores are proof of that.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
I think they ended up delisting it because they are introducing that PSN overlay with the release of Ghost of Tsushima. What I still don't get is why US territories got caught in the crossfire too.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out where the TOS fear mongering fits in with the championing of MODs and using VPNs to buy games for cheap in other regions.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out where the TOS fear mongering fits in with the championing of MODs and using VPNs to buy games for cheap in other regions.

I'm still trying to figure out how an individual consumer doing either of those things in any way matter in relation to a multi-billion dollar corporation ignoring their own terms of service in the face of consumer protection laws that other companies rightfully abide by.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
You first gotta figure out that VPN doesn't work unless you have a valid method of payment from the region you're trying to buy from.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Well Sony is not know to work on a new things either. Sure they ship few over the generation but they then ship next console without half of those features and start over. I truly believe that main issue for them i bad base (whole regional accounts and archaic databases) and everyone is afraid to touch it in fear that they will break it.
It's absolutely a base technical issue, but that's what infrastructure is. No one wants to stick their neck out to be the one in charge of infrastructure because that's usually a dead-end for career advancement.

It's better for everyone if such issues are addressed, but is rarely personally good for you to be the one to do it.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
This was never going to happen. You already have people crying that they were being sold "half" a game and/or demanding discounts.
Why exactly would this never happen? If your choice to either sell the SP game w/o MP or not sell it at all then what do you choose?

I think they ended up delisting it because they are introducing that PSN overlay with the release of Ghost of Tsushima. What I still don't get is why US territories got caught in the crossfire too.
Also presented as optional.