Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I think an incredibly comedic trailer with loads of jokes and ghosts would turn people off of this movie very quickly. Ignoring the manbabies upset by an all-female Ghostbusters team, many people thought the first GB 2016 trailer was terrible because it included all that shit. I heard a lot of the same complaints that I've seen so far on this thread of how it didn't look nor feel like Ghostbusters. Trying something new keeps the franchise fresh, and going for a more mysterious tone with hints of nostalgia seems like the way to go about doing just that.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
It wouldn't take much editing to turn this into a Stranger Things "The Movie" trailer and not a Ghostbusters trailer. This is so far from what I expected.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think an incredibly comedic trailer with loads of jokes and ghosts would turn people off of this movie very quickly. Ignoring the manbabies upset by an all-female Ghostbusters team, many people thought the first GB 2016 trailer was terrible because it included all that shit. I heard a lot of the same complaints that I've seen so far on this thread of how it didn't look nor feel like Ghostbusters. Trying something new keeps the franchise fresh, and going for a more mysterious tone with hints of nostalgia seems like the way to go about doing just that.
The issue is that while it's different to ghostbusters, it looks too much like stranger things.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
Looks awful, and no offense but i don't think the kid from Stranger Things is that good of an actor. And why do they keep using the same design of cg ghosts as the first film from the 80s? I guess Slimer is iconic sure but it looked good in 1984

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
I really really like the idea that the events of past GB movies happened but people have forgotten due to zero ghost activity. Finding the old equipment and learning the past behind it is very interesting to me. I'm excited for this.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Another positive:

I like the story threads of Egons grandkid coming to the farm because his grandfather died - who potentially moved out of the city many years ago to investigate the stuff that's going on there slowly being forgotten by the world moving on. It's basically a variation of something I wanna see happen to Indiana Jones (just that the grandkid is visiting him and he tells them/him/her the story about back in the 40s with time switching between an Indie adventure where someone younger is playing him and Ford who is basically Scrooge McDuck at this point / in terms of cynical reclusiveness not richness)

RalliArtEvo

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Looks like it could be a fun movie to take my boys to see while also enjoying the nostalgic aspects of being a child of the 80's. Looking forward to it!

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
trailer two will have 'the gang' in it... you know it, i know it, everyone know's it

this trailer was just a safe teaser showing what tone they're going for

so far looks good

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I really really like the idea that the events of past GB movies happened but people have forgotten due to zero ghost activity. Finding the old equipment and learning the past behind it is very interesting to me. I'm excited for this.
If the ghost activity was all small scale things like slimer or the library and stuff. The statue of liberty walking around wouldn't be forgotten.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
That looks terrible. Holy shit.

I don't get Era anymore. Why does did first post so often just end up being a rush to dump on whatever thing the thread is about?

I'm cautiously optimistic. Love that they're making it about Spengler's legacy. The material so far is making the whole thing feel very Stranger Things which I guess is a smart marketing angle. Hope the tone ends up being closer to the original.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get Era anymore. Why does did first post so often just end up being a rush to dump on whatever thing the thread is about?

I'm cautiously optimistic. Love that they're making it about Spengler's legacy. The material so far is making the whole thing feel very Stranger Things which I guess is a smart marketing angle. Hope the tone ends up being closer to the original.
Would it be better if everyone all agreed about everything?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
But would people be saying that if Finn Wolfhard wasn't in the film though? I'm failing to see how it looks too much like ST.
Yea even if it was another kid that looked similar. It's a group of wonder age kids in a coming of age story, learning about some apparently mythical time of the 80's and giant ghosts roaming nyc, and they will have their own adventure in some rural area.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Because that's what it is, lol. Stranger things got really popular, so stuidos want to ape it.

Would you have been happier if they did a new Ghostbusters movie but this time with a bunch of male thirty-something comedians also trying and failing to capture the working-class energy of the original two movies and the Video Game?

Oh boy I can't wait to see Pete Holmes and Kevin Hart doing improv bits while wearing a proton pack. Joy and rapture, it's what I've always wanted.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
It's fine. I'm glad it goes for spooky rather than zany, but I hope they'll be able to capture the tone of the original, or at least as close to that tone as they can with a bunch of kids in the lead.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
But would people be saying that if Finn Wolfhard wasn't in the film though? I'm failing to see how it looks too much like ST because I didn't get that vibe at all.

I didn't even realize the kid is actually from Stranger Things. It just has a very similar aesthetic, which while overdone, isn't inherently bad, it's just not something I associate with Ghostbusters, it's more of an ET/Goonies type of thing.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Would you have been happier if they did a new Ghostbusters movie but this time with a bunch of male thirty-something comedians also trying and failing to capture the working-class energy of the original two movies and the Video Game?

Oh boy I can't wait to see Pete Holmes and Kevin Hart doing improv bits while wearing a proton pack. Joy and rapture, it's what I've always wanted.
No. I wouldn't even mind still having teens or at least maybe 20 somethings, but still keeping the heart of ghostbusters. This feels like stranger things having a ghostbusters crossover episode, and the theming of the force awakens. You can do new stuff while also still keeping to the original.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Because that's what it is, lol. Stranger things got really popular, so stuidos want to ape it.

It is so typical of film and hollywood. Can't come up with something on their own, depends on existing IPs, and when a non big studio gets a hit, they just copy it with an existing IP.

Edit: I should say, they rarely EVER give a new idea chance.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Looks fine, not giving much away in this trailer though.

Girl has it down as his kid that isn't blaringly obvious which is cool. Just subtle enough.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's a wrap on this one, try again in another couple of years Sony.

Hmm what else can we try, Dog Ghostbusters next time maybe?

They should just let it die, like Terminator. Ghostbuster was a very time and place thing, and a bulk of it's popularity came not from the concept, but from the people involved in creating it. You can't recreate that no matter how hard you try. But they won't, and I get it, these studios see dollar signs with every ancient IP they own, especially when they can pander to people's nostalgia.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Gremlins:Reborn, coming 2022. Starring Billy's kid and some other kids, living in rurual Iowa and learning about this myth of something caller mogwai, and the legend of if they eat after midnight or touch water.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No but a post like "this looks terrible holy shit" is pretty much the equivalent of just saying "First person to hate it!!!"

Yeah, I don't know how anyone could watch that and think it looks terrible. It doesn't look like the most amazing thing ever. But, everything in it looks perfectly competent. I didn't see any bad acting, bad writing, bad CGI... it all looked absolutely fine.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't know how anyone could watch that and think it looks terrible. It doesn't look like the most amazing thing ever. But, everything in it looks perfectly competent. I didn't see any bad acting, bad writing, bad CGI... it all looked absolutely fine.
To some people that's almost even worse. Just being competent and not awful.