• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what kind of movie this is trying to be but it's not something I'm looking for in a Ghostbusters movie.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Looks somewhat interesting, despit not being a fan of the premise as presented in the trailer. (Kids finding old GB stuff)

The next trailer has to do some serious legwork.

OP
OP
Khanimus

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I guess it's just a boring route to go.

And literally has been done 3 times now.
The ghosts were always like the least-important part of those movies. Yeah there's a plot, but it's really about the characters and watching them interact.

Each movie, there's like one sequence where they use their proton packs, some montage of them running around to music, and them fighting some baddie at the end. These aren't action movies. They're not about the complex lore of unraveling the mysteries of Ivo Shandor. It's some quirky characters being glib about the weird shit they surround themselves with, and occasionally some ominous music plays.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the case.

But people are too stupid to realize it so the next trailer will have to give away all the jokes and ghosts.

Yeah, just go right ahead and call everyone stupid that they didn't enjoy this let down of a trailer. Even the ghostbusters theme would have worked in this trailer to end it with some sorta of nostalgia hook. What we got was very boring and looks like every other 80s preteen cast throwback. It's a boring formula and I dislike Stranger Things, so this isn't hooking me.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The ghosts were always like the least-important part of those movies. Yeah there's a plot, but it's really about the characters and watching them interact.

Each movie, there's like one sequence where they use their proton packs, some montage of them running around to music, and them fighting some baddie at the end. These aren't action movies. They're not about the complex lore of unraveling the mysteries of Ivo Shandor. It's some quirky characters being glib about the weird shit they surround themselves with, and occasionally some ominous music plays.

Ok.

So now I'm even less interested because I am not really wanting nerdy teens hang out and fight ghosts with their teacher sometimes

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
that aint ghostbusters. just make it its own damn thing.

love how folk over at sony went yeah haha that stranger things thing is massively popular lets do that and then slap ghostbusters on it xD
fuck outta here
Who is "folk"? It's written and directed by Jason Reitman, son of the director (and co-writer) of Ghostbusters.

Oct 30, 2017
I really dig the poster, at least.

Looks pretty good. Not everything needs to look like Stranger Things to harken back to the 80s.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ok.

So now I'm even less interested because I am not really wanting nerdy teens hang out and fight ghosts with their teacher sometimes

I'm pretty damn certain that Paul Rudd is the main villain of the movie and he's manipulating the kids into using Grandpa Egon's tech for some nefarious purpose.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
For God's sake, is it really that hard to make Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast (aside from Harold Raimis) instead of taking it in a completely different direction?
They should have really old men (and one dead guy) dress in their too-small old uniforms and amble around sadly. That's a thing they should do in 2020.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I'm pretty damn certain that Paul Rudd is the main villain of the movie and he's manipulating the kids into using Grandpa Egon's tech for some nefarious purpose.
I don't think so. That makes next to zero sense. I suppose anything could happen, but that would be a disservice to Rudd, as I think he could be an actual ghostbuster and would fit into that role.

who knows.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. That makes next to zero sense. I suppose anything could happen, but that would be a disservice to Rudd, as I think he could be an actual ghostbuster and would fit into that role.

who knows.

I think he's a Ghostbuster fanboy who's upset that the Busters retired and there's no more ghosts around to catch, so he orchestrates things behind the scenes to start letting ghosts out again.

The fact he instantly recognizes the tech beyond just 'oh cool that's stuff I saw on TV when I was a kid' is important.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For God's sake, is it really that hard to make Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast (aside from Harold Raimis) instead of taking it in a completely different direction?

Yes.

If they're going to continue the GB franchise, they need to pass the torch, dude. The original cast of Ghostbusters are pushing 70 years of age. Even if GB was real life, they would have all retired, unless they were hard up on cash (which would probably be likely, considering how much they trash the city fighting ghosts).

I don't mind the trailer. Putting it in a small town wasn't what I expected, so it's nice to be caught off guard.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
A bit concerned that there is very little in the way of comedy both in the trailer and on everything else (media interviews, leaks) so far.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

If they're going to continue the GB franchise, they need to pass the torch, dude. The original cast of Ghostbusters are pushing 70 years of age. Even if GB was real life, they would have all retired, unless they were hard up on cash (which would probably be likely, considering how much they trash the city fighting ghosts).

Exactly. They had an opportunity in the early 2000s to do a "one last ride" film with the aged Busters when Ramis was still alive but they were still young(ish), and Bill Murray torpedoed it by being a dickhead. That opportunity is gone now. The series either has to move on or fade away, and Sony isn't going to let it fade away.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a terrible trailer but gosh I hope that's like the first 20 minutes of the movie. A full movie of that seems like the most boring idea possible for a Ghostbuster movie.

The tone is a weird choice also, like...it's a Ghostbusters trailer without any (or at least any good) jokes? Odd.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm glad they're going in a different direction. Ghostbusters 2016 was not good, but making this one also in New York would just seem like an attempt to one-up that movie. If you're going to try to bring back Ghostbusters AGAIN, you need to shake up the formula.

I imagine setting Afterlife in parts of rural America will keep the budget down. One of the biggest mistakes with GB'16 is that it cost WAY too much to make.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That or he and Carrie Coon get possessed as the new keymaster/gatekeeper and Gozer ensues.

I sincerely hope that Reitman isn't lazy enough to bring Gozer back so it can be defeated by a bunch of little kids. Gozer was already embarrassed enough the last time it came through.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
If there was comedy in this trailer, half the folks complaining would instead be complaining about "quips".

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
It's just like any other trailer for a movie about a legacy left behind (with added Ghostbusters Iconography). Looks fine. Probably have to wait for the next trailer to really understand the tone of the film.

Here's hoping it's a good movie because I'm probably seeing it no matter what.

Oct 27, 2017
C'mon man, you know exactly the sort of toxic misogynsts that had a fit over the 2016 film that I'm referring to.

I'm not denying that was big with the previous Ghostbuster movie. I'm taking offense at the idea that people who don't want this to be Ghostbusters: Stranger Things Edition are in the same group and man babies.

Even as a kid watching the original I liked how it was a group of quirky older people, dealing with paranormal things no one else believed in till shit hit the fan.

Kids in that same role, mixed with a coming of age story, is so incredibly overdone by this point. I don't even need the original cast to be the focus like some people do

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
A bit concerned that there is very little in the way of comedy both in the trailer and on everything else (media interviews, leaks) so far.
Was the original any different? It was pitched more as a lighthearted horror movie (if such a thing exists), whereas 2016's Answer the Call was going way more for goofy humor, and that was apparent even in the trailers.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
It has paul rudd and people are worried that it wont be a comedic movie? Come on this is just a first trailer....

I really liked it, 100% in!

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. They had an opportunity in the early 2000s to do a "one last ride" film with the aged Busters when Ramis was still alive but they were still young(ish), and Bill Murray torpedoed it by being a dickhead. That opportunity is gone now. The series either has to move on or fade away, and Sony isn't going to let it fade away.

Atleast they came back for the video game, which was good

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think he's a Ghostbuster fanboy who's upset that the Busters retired and there's no more ghosts around to catch, so he orchestrates things behind the scenes to start letting ghosts out again.

The fact he instantly recognizes the tech beyond just 'oh cool that's stuff I saw on TV when I was a kid' is important.
whoa, yeah i can totally see that being a twisty storyline they might use. i dig it.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It has paul rudd and people are worried that it wont be a comedic movie? Come on this is just a first trailer....

I really liked it, 100% in!
I'm sure it will be, it's just weird they chose to release the most generic possible trailer as their first trailer especially if it ends up not being representative of the tone of the film.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Just chiming in on this idea: I have 0 interest in this twist and would be immensely disappointed. Hell, there's no reason why Rudd can't be their Ray, last one of the kids actually be the Egon, but Rudd being enthusiastic enough (and knowing enough about it) to be a helpful (and sometimes hurtful) driving force.

Oct 27, 2017
My only problem with the 2016 movie is that it wasn't a continuation but almost a redo. The humor was hit or miss. It was fine, though. more comedy than horror. while the original movies deftly weaved both. "Dumpster Fire", "Garbage", and "Trash" always seemed like a huge overreaction meant to get under the skin of the creators involved. It was a great attempt under impossible odds. That's why I really like this new take in the. Ew trailer. It feels different but familiar. Anyone who has seen Evolution knows the potential that he new film has...

The 2016 reboot was really just a straight up bad movie. The old GB movies worked due to the dry quips, while the reboot just had a complete tonal shift in humour to dumb fart jokes and such. Didn't help that neither the story nor the characters were particularly interesting, and, like you said, it didn't continue the plot of the old movies. They even had the gall to include actors from the original movies, but in roles that had nothing to do with the characters they originally played. The new trailer seems to have a better understanding of Ghostbusters, I'd say.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how different the reception to this movie (in general, not just the trailer) would be if the 2016 film never existed and it was the first film in the franchise since 1989.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
It's like that perfect exemple of a movie trying to look like the new fad and losing all its charm, bravo

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Screenshot-2019-12-09-at-16-51-15.png

No human would stack books like this....

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Atleast they came back for the video game, which was good

It was. It was great to see them again, even if Murray was clearly dragging his feet through the recording sessions.

Just chiming in on this idea: I have 0 interest in this twist and would be immensely disappointed. Hell, there's no reason why Rudd can't be their Ray, last one of the kids actually be the Egon, but Rudd being enthusiastic enough (and knowing enough about it) to be a helpful (and sometimes hurtful) driving force.

I think he IS going to be their Ray. He's just also going to be doing it on purpose because he's a Ghostbuster fanboy who wants the Busters to come back, so he uses some Spengler tech to start letting ghosts out to manufacture a crisis for them to solve.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Biting Stranger Things a little too hard, at least in this trailer. Even though Ghostbusters was an 80s movie, I never associated it with this sort of ET/Amblin aesthetic, it was closer to Beverly Hills Cop on the 80s nostalgia spectrum for me.