poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Why would it not be able to do 60?
From my understanding, since this is via Game Boost it sounds like they're just adding an option to allow the player to up to framerate lock from 30 to 60. However, what Game Boost does is just run the PS4 code and then use the PS5's extra power to up to framerate. This means Sucker Punch isn't doing any optimization for the PS5, it's just the PS4 code running on PS5 hardware which means it wont be the best it can possibly be.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Its only running in BC mode, and taking advantage of the boost on PS5. A native PS5 game would be able to take fully advantage of the PS5 hardware, a BC game cant really do that.

Ah that would explain it. I was wondering why they would go to the trouble of modifying the game and just keeping it at 60.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
This is not necessarily true. The Series X has even more compute than PS5, and Digital Foundry tests showed it couldn't get to locked 60fps for several backwards compatible titles. It remains to be seen on a case-by-case basis.
Sekiro is a good example of a game that wasn't able to lock its frame rate at 60 when in combat, even with very little going on the frame rate would fluctuate from 50-60 FPS. But I think in that game the resolution was the problem since it runs at native 1800p. Digital foundry on their patreon are saying that assassin's creed unity is locked 60 fps on the XSX, and that game is 900p. Ghost of Tsushima is a 1800c game, so maybe it will have an easier time hitting 60 fps.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Great news! I am nearly done with Act 3 and Platinum, but this is the sort of upgrade I was hoping for with Legends mode, playing on PS5

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
I didn't play The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima yet. So, maybe I can wait a little longer and play 'em both on PS5.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
And I was starting to feel guilty taking an extended break to play Genshin Impact. Guess ill be going back in on PS5!

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
This is what we need for these end of the gen titles.
Oh and I hope there will be something good coming for a Bloodborne boost mode.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
From my understanding, since this is via Game Boost it sounds like they're just adding an option to allow the player to up to framerate lock from 30 to 60. However, what Game Boost does is just run the PS4 code and then use the PS5's extra power to up to framerate. This means Sucker Punch isn't doing any optimization for the PS5, it's just the PS4 code running on PS5 hardware which means it wont be the best it can possibly be.
Pretty much, their engine is capable base on infamous second son and last light Pro upgrade. No enhancement but just a frame rate unlock option in the menu. I hope boost mode take things a bit further with force AF and AMD RIS sharpening. Those should be almost free with ps5 gpu.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I guess there is the question how much of the PS5's power will be accessed by the boost mode. The PS4 Pro boost mode was seemingly limited that way

So maybe boost mode does indeed deliver all the CPU and possibly the memory bandwidth improvements inherent in the PS4 Pro hardware design, but the more modest boost to GPU power is curious - it seems that boost mode accesses the extra frequency but not the Pro's 18 additional compute units. We went to Sony with our theory, and while technical details in its reply are sparse, here's the statement we received back.
www.eurogamer.net

PS4 Pro boost mode: a game-changer for unpatched titles?

UPDATE 14/2/17 3:30pm: Rounding off our analysis of PS4 Pro's upcoming boost mode, we take a look at a title that clear…

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Is there DLC for this game? If so, I'll wait for a complete version. Don't want to drop $30 for this game yet if there's another version coming out.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still only about halfway through the game, I can put it off for another month or so.

The game looks tremendous, but I really don't like the feel of the gameplay at 4k on a ps4 pro.

Jun 23, 2019
launching from the PS5 Games Home screen into gameplay as quickly as it takes to fast travel on PS4

tenor.gif

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
launching from the PS5 Games Home screen into gameplay as quickly as it takes to fast travel on PS4
I gotta be honest- my stuff is always in standby mode when I'm playing a game for real. I've never once had to wait to load in from main menu unless it's the first time I start the game.

also I guess a big compliment to the console that the standby feature works 100% of time

Oct 25, 2017
I have not played this yet but 60fps might tempt me. Hopefully they release a PS5 patch regardless to up the quality.

Cellsplitter

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I platinum'd the game but man, replaying it sounds so exciting now. Plus the 1.1 patch sounds so cool too.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Awesome. If there's no PS5 version, means I can get it dirt cheap in a few months and still take advantage of this lol.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
This is great. I got rid of a lot of my newer PS4 games when I traded in my PS4 Pro. I got a lot of credit for Ghost and Last of Us 2 and know damn well on Black Friday they will be on-sale somewhere. Can't wait to play it at 60fps!!!

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
One of the best games this year, I had such a great time playing it. It's one of two games that I actually spent time to gather 100% of all trophies, the design was simply that good.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Nice. Was waiting to play Ghost and Last Of Us 2 on the PS5 for this very reason. Want to play these great looking games when they look their best.

Hopefully last of us 2 follows suit

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
Guess i will wait to continue playing, i only just got to chapter 2 last weekend. Now I can focus on finishing up all the Yakuzas before like a dragon comes out.