Amin_Parker

Dec 25, 2019
Tokyo
Miitopia is one heck of an JRPG.
It's fun, charming and has a really intriguing battle system. I highly recommend the game. Awesome franchise in the making everyone.

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, so last week #1 dropped by 76% to #3, last week #2 dropped 61% and rose to #1 but Miitopia which is #2 this week is far behind #1???
I wouldn't worry too much. Even if initial numbers aren't huge, legs will carry it a long way. It appeals to the same crowd as Animal Crossing, a game which has been out for around 14 months and is approaching 40 million sales.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
Miitopia? As in the game that doesn't seem to have an OT here and barely any reviews. That game sold better than I thought given it is basically forgotten on ERA lol.

Online discussion on gaming focused forums is often misleading as a tracker of popularity since mainly hardcore gamers are taking the time to discuss games on these places and Miitopia is definitely not targeted towards that audience.

Another example but the other way around was maybe Returnal. It was discussed and praised everywhere (and it was well deserved), it really felt that it is the new hot thing everyone plays. Then sales info came here and there and frankly it felt like more people are discussing it online than actually buying it sadly.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Online discussion on gaming focused forums is often misleading as a tracker of popularity since mainly hardcore gamers are taking the time to discuss games on these places and Miitopia is definitely not targeted towards that audience.

Another example but the other way around was maybe Returnal. It was discussed and praised everywhere (and it was well deserved), it really felt that it is the new hot thing everyone plays. Then sales info came here and there and frankly it felt like more people are discussing it online than actually buying it sadly.
made me have a look-see.
  • Returnal's OT - 16K posts
  • Miitopia's OT - still ain't at 50 posts

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't worry too much. Even if initial numbers aren't huge, legs will carry it a long way. It appeals to the same crowd as Animal Crossing, a game which has been out for around 14 months and is approaching 40 million sales.
But Miitopias numbers are good ? Village is just a massive multiplattform AAA title. No need to compare it with Village...or even ACNH, these games dont have anything in common - nor does Miitopia need to perform anywhere close to them to be considered a success.

Oct 26, 2017
But Miitopias numbers are good ? Village is just a massive multiplattform AAA title. No need to compare it with Village...or even ACNH, these games dont have anything in common - nor does Miitopia need to perform anywhere close to them to be considered a success.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant there's no reason to worry at all. The game will continue to sell for a long time.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020

But these are huge initial numbers indeed. You have to compare game sales to something comparable. Comparing the biggest multiplatfrom horror franchise ever in this case isn't meaningful.
The most meaningful comparison would be to compare to the original Miitopia release.
And this port sold 36% better than its original.
When a HD port sells better than its original then we can talk about success because the original was successful enough to make them consider this port and it is even more successful.
Of course this does not apply to Wii U ports as in that case the platform availability crippled the sales often.
It is also important to note that we are talking about boxed sales only and for 3DS 4 years ago digital purchases were not so widespread than nowadays on Switch. The game was no 1 on eshop best seller list.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
I hope we soon hear about overall sales of Village, it seems to have become a talk-of-the-town game on social media much more than previous RE titles. Let's hope it translates to actual sales, the game really deserves it!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Looks like the next gen split for RE8 starts to taper towards last gen as sales go on. Makes sense (there are only so many next gen players).

In its first week 49% of its sales were on PS5, 31% on PS4.

I think it makes sense that later weeks would start to favor ps4 over ps5 for sales. The fomo sets in and people who can't find a ps5 relent and get re8 on last gen hardware.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we soon hear about overall sales of Village, it seems to have become a talk-of-the-town game on social media much more than previous RE titles. Let's hope it translates to actual sales, the game really deserves it!
As in overall global sales ? Capcom recently announced the global shipment numbers...dont think we are gonna get another update anytime soon.

calvinised

May 24, 2021
Miittopia looks like a good one for the kids, not for me but Nintendo stuff is hit or miss for me in terms of interest. Surprised it did so well but that's Nintendo I guess. Sick to see RE8 killing the charts.