• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I have come to love the Sony is fucked doom articles at the end of every generation.
giphy.gif

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
They've said it's designed for BC with PS4 games and PSVR games.

There was detailed info and roadmaps outlined at their corporate strategy meeting for PSNow, overlapping into some of the post-next-gen launch roadmap. In terms of commitment it's been discussed by Sony Corps CEO with emphasis in two investor meetings in a row now. We actually know far more, as far as I can see, about PSNow's roadmap than xCloud. We don't know anything about the xCloud business model or monetisation, when it will arrive out of preview and where...

Schreier was giving second-hand info to the same extent that the GameDaily article was - both were citing devs they'd spoken to. Re 'devs in that thread', I'm not sure which you're specifically referring to. What I would say is though, again, both could be right, and you might be talking about varying levels of satisfaction with different things, at different levels of the business, or varying experiences between different developers, some of whom may be more or less in the loop vs others.

I don't have the ability to search that thread for specific posts at the moment, but what you said makes sense. Still, I feel a bit of minor trepidation at the moment.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The article cites only one indie developer, in regards to confusion on Sony's third-party roadmap. That is honestly, far from sufficient, considering that we are aware Sony has diverted a lot of third-party resources to VR devs in the past few years, to the point that they are seen as far weaker in indie developer support vs earlier years.

While the article raises valid points, the issue I have with it is that it's framed ultimately in a way that reads "why isn't Sony doing things the same way their bolder competition, Xbox is doing it!? Why are they quiet about X/Y/Z when Xbox is loud and bold? Why are they not doing big events when Xbox is? Why are they not doing etc etc etc?"

Which imo - is a pretty weak argument. The fact that Sony isn't doing their messaging in the same way isn't indicative of any failure. It could be, but without any genuine insight of the subject matter, it's guesswork that is based off 'I prefer how much more open Xbox is vs Sony."

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a load of Rubbish, we know far m ore about Sonys plan than Microsofts regards its next console. Sales for both X1 and PS4 are slowing as the gen is coming to a close.

Sony do not innovate! Have heard it all now. So VR, Remote play, game streaming (console,) plus a diverse range of games like Astobot, Blood and Truch, Medievil, Concrete Genie, MLB 19, Death STranding and the last of us 2

Having a great games lineup isn't an innovation. It's not that Sony doesn't innovate, they just aren't typically ones for pushing boundaries very far.

Their VR efforts have been commendable and key to bringing it to the masses, and it's exciting to see them begin to put that kind of effort into their cloud service, but a lot of their ancillary stuff have felt like small side projects that don't get as much of a push as they could have. The Vita comes to mind as something Sony kind of released and swept under the rug, left to be carried by third party developers. PS Now is older than Game Pass, but whereas Microsoft have been pushing Game Pass as the future of games consumption from early on, PS Now has only just now felt like it's become a big part of the core Playstation experience.

There's no need to take this is as a personal insult in some console war.

What innovations in games Microsoft is known for?

They (and Bungie) practically created the online user experience for console. Matchmaking, messaging and friends, almost turning their console ecosystem into a self contained social media platform in a way. They're the biggest proponent of the big 3 in terms of cloud streaming and games subscription services. While I doubt there's real practical gaming use, they demoed Holo Lens, an even more unexplored technology than VR, at E3. They crashed and burned at the attempt to completely unify the gaming and tv experiences in what they wanted to be the definitive multimedia box. Kinect pushed a new type of motion control that while dead in the water as a standalone type of thing now has contributed to other stuff. Their aggressive approach to cross-platform play and publishing on competitor's platforms is pretty novel, and is now becoming the industry standard. Their backwards compatibility program was excellent and extensive, which should be noted given that supposedly the feasibility of it didn't seem very good early in the generation. They pushed cloud computing in games as a way to make up for hardware limitations, but only really manifested in Forza AI, some Titanfall bots, and Crackdown 3. (Arguably, this was a PR angle to save face for having a weaker console, but I feel Crackdown 3's entire Multiplayer being framed around this idea disproves that was the initial intent.)

A mixed bag for sure, it seems for every exciting success they have a bitter loss. Which is why it doesn't make sense for Sony to be chasing that while they're the market leaders.

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? They already announced PS4 BC, PS Now just had it's biggest change so of course it'll be supported, they already said PSVR will work on PS5.

They've said it's designed for BC with PS4 games and PSVR games.

There was detailed info and roadmaps outlined at their corporate strategy meeting for PSNow, overlapping into some of the post-next-gen launch roadmap. We actually know far more, as far as I can see, about PSNow's roadmap than xCloud. We don't know anything about the xCloud business model or monetisation, when it will arrive out of preview and where...

Schreier was giving second-hand info to the same extent that the GameDaily article was - both were citing devs they'd spoken to. Re 'devs in that thread', I'm not sure which you're specifically referring to. What I would say is though, again, both could be right, and you might be talking about varying levels of satisfaction with different things, at different levels of the business, or varying experiences between different developers, some of whom may be more or less in the loop vs others.

So does that mean all PS4 games will work as we get conflicting messages without a firm commitment. What about PS3? Is it being considered? I've not seen anything concrete on either.

As for PSNow, I should've clarified I was pointing at their Gamepass-like strategy, ie offering 1st party games to download, not necessarily streaming. As far as I'm aware Sony are looking to phase out current PSNow streaming and replace it with Xcloud backbone? MS will lay out thier streaming roadmap in November.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
What planet is the author of this article living on?

But Xbox is more than just Xbox One sales - they also have their games and services on PC (and some on Switch). They also have a mobile presence.
While PlayStation relies primarily on console sales

This is wrong, very wrong. The Playstation Store brings in more money than the entire Xbox division.

Regardless, the Xbox division is still bringing in a fraction of what the Playstation division is. Doesnt matter how many services or platforms they have.

teacup

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think this seems a bit silly.

There is nothing wrong with talking about games that are out now vs a system that's not out until late next year.
If they aren't talking about the system next year then we obviously won't know about their "vision" for it.

Not knowing is not bad or good. It's just- not knowing. "But Xbox is doing this!" Cool. You've got a year and some change to find out if Sony is too, or not, and if so the quality.

I personally don't want a game pass/ Netflix style solution to games as I am concerned it will be pushing more and more GaaS Titles. I love how great Sony has been this gen with strong single player games like horizon, god of war, infamous, days gone, uncharted, and upcoming last of us and death stranding.

obviously we are ages out so I wouldn't bet on anything but the early Xbox talk reminds me of the corporate shilling/bootlicking people did to the anti consumer stuff MS came out with last time.
Ah well

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Microsoft hasn't even given the name of the product lol. All the answers...yeah right.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure they have folders of "PS5 policy regarding X [3rd parties/indies/PS Now/etc]" all ready to go, they are just waiting the right moment.
Risky? Aboslutely. Worrying? Not yet, at least not until their reveal.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a garbage article.

Complains about Sony not doing cross-play when they've already announced they're doing it for all games going forward.

Complains about Sony not promoting indies when all of their State of Play's included them.

Mentions how console sales are down when that's the norm during the end of every console cycle, especially when so many people already have a PS4.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Again out of indie where there is something to worrying a bit because currently no one replace Shahid Kamal and Adam Boyes. and Sony job post shosws they want a replacement but out of this they will communicate.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I'm not getting the notion that Sony has been silent and letting Microsoft lead the conversation. They simply dropped out of E3 (and major press conferences) but look at the media blitzes they have been organizing outside of these conferences: Death Stranding had its own media blitz, then we had the media launch of TLOU 2, and soon after, PS Now dropping prices, the sudden flurry of PS5 details, and now Remote Play for Android. It's pretty clear that they are just letting their last PS4 games have their time in the spotlight, while they start laying down the groundwork for next gen, which is still 15 months away. There's no need to blow off all their information since most likely not all details are final yet.

Don't forget though, the initial PS5 reveal through Wired was a genius tactic. Sure, it came off as weird, but by the time Microsoft started talking about their next gen console on E3, it just felt like a response to Sony's sudden announcement. I doubt that it was all that, but what matters is what the public perceives what happened.

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We saw this exact song and dance at the end of the PS3/360 era with everyone expecting Sony to exit the console space and Microsoft dominating next-gen for some reason. And here we are.
TBH at that time nobody was expecting that Sony could return from '599 disaster' and were expecting something similar for the PS4. I honestly thought Xbox was going to lead 8th gen (at least in the US). They had the momentum with Kinect, marketing rights to AAA games, and Live services. And then MS handed them the generation on a silver platter.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
There's some doubt around PlayStation now that wasn't there a few years ago. PS4 sales are slowing (in the UK, console sales are down almost 40% year-to-date) and the industry is looking at Sony to see what's next for the console business. At the moment, Xbox is the one providing all the answers.

Who knew that a console in his 6th year of life in a country that it's dealing with an economic shitshow is gonna have his sales down. Im shocked!!!

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
For what it's worth, In 2012 Xbox 360 was already becoming a PR issue with Don Mattrick and they were already on the downswing and Nintendo was dealing with a flopping Wii U. It was easy to be optimistic about Sony who had a really strong end to the PS3 generation. Now, Sony is up against an Xbox that has a lot of good going for it and a lot of momentum and a Nintendo device that is stomping everything in sales (I wouldn't use the world stomping in Europe though).

You should check Sony/Nintendo financial reports in respect to the whole "stomping" thing(there's more than just NPD/MC to a system's sales).

This is all the same shit from the Western media as it was leading into last gen. We have a reason that Sony isn't spending all of its air time blowing smoke about the future....because they're promoting Death Stranding, FF7R, Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU pt2, etc. Same as always, they have great first party software to worry about up until the next launch, and an actual live streaming service that they're redoubling their marketing efforts on. Same as others have stated, this article is hilarious in light of us actually knowing more concrete details about the next PS and already have an idea where PSNow is going vice the dreams of xCloud.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
But Xbox is more than just Xbox One sales - they also have their games and services on PC (and some on Switch). They also have a mobile presence.
While PlayStation relies primarily on console sales
PlayStation has about twice the revenue of Xbox, as long as that stays that way I'm going to assume Microsoft's PC efforts are nothing to write home about.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So does that mean all PS4 games will work as we get conflicting messages without a firm commitment.

That's the intention. The wrinkle is that is they're going through a QA process to verify. (Something every company in this situation will have to do).

What about PS3? Is it being considered? I've not seen anything concrete on either.

It's been unmentioned so I think you can take from that that it is not generally compatible with PS3 software.

As for PSNow, I should've clarified I was pointing at their Gamepass-like strategy, ie offering 1st party games to download, not necessarily streaming. As far as I'm aware Sony are looking to phase out current PSNow streaming and replace it with Xcloud backbone?

There is no such solid a plan in progress right now. Again from the corp strategy meeting, Sony outlined the details of their current capacity and their intention to investigate adding to it with Microsoft via Azure - but that's merely at a MoU stage right now. They have also explicitly not ruled out continuing to expand their own infrastructure in addition to what they're doing with MS. Streaming is certainly not being phased out because of the download feature. It's being expanded with greater urgency.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They (and Bungie) practically created the online user experience for console. Matchmaking, messaging and friends, almost turning their console ecosystem into a self contained social media platform in a way.
Eh, IIRC Sega did it first with the Saturn and Dreamcast. Though one could make the argument that the original Xbox was just a riff on the Dreamcast.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
We know substantially more about PS5 than Scarlett at this stage right? Everything revealed so far has seemed pretty on point. No real causes for concern.

I dunno. I think Xbox have been pretty on the ball since the One X reveal, but I don't think Sony have been making mistakes lately either.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
TBH at that time nobody was expecting that Sony could return from '599 disaster' and were expecting something similar for the PS4. I honestly thought Xbox was going to lead 8th gen (at least in the US). They had the momentum with Kinect, marketing rights to AAA games, and Live services. And then MS handed them the generation on a silver platter.

Hilarious. Microsoft didn't hand them shit and this talking point needs to end.

Sony made right decisions while Microsoft made all the wrong ones. They made their own bed while Sony figured out what was actually important. This acting like Microsoft as the wielder of power here is downright comical when they've yet to win a single generation WW.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I wanna see PS now launch along side the PS5, in every country the PS5 will be avaliable. I also want to service to start matching game pass as far as third parties and indies are concerned. I fully respect Sony only popping their old first party games on a rotating roster. When you've got the best product in town, you don't go passing it around for nothing.

Also PS VR 2 on the PS5 is gonna be lit.

SiassaDavid

Jun 15, 2018
Vienna, Austria
What planet is the author of this article living on?

This is wrong, very wrong. The Playstation Store brings in more money than the entire Xbox division.

Regardless, the Xbox division is still bringing in a fraction of what the Playstation division is. Doesnt matter how many services or platforms they have.
Which still proves my point - if Sony doesnt sell consoles their revenue is f***ed because most of their revenue is depentent on people having a PlaySation. Also if the install base is twice of your competition i would be surprised if PS doens't generate more money than Xbox...

"a fraction" is a little much, don't you think? And services and platforms do matter for spreading risk.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet we know more about Sony's new console and its game streaming service (since it already exists) than we do about Xbox's.

I think it's fair to call out Sony for missing E3, but the notion that they haven't had a constant flow of communications or updates about the new system, its games or services is frankly bogus.

With respect to the new system, I think we'll get more information from both platforms closer to the release.
They have gone into lockdown mode though this year, or rather maintenance mode? Just enough communication via State of Play to keep the audience interested in whatever they've been up to.

I think their move towards silence will make any bit of news seem more interesting, and for that I think it's been smart for them. Adding mystery to the mix, but at the cost of their first party output this year. Right now, they haven't released any single party games in 2019 for PS4 - only second party output accounts for this year (can't consider GT Sport v2 a release, just a reprint). Whatever they're cooking for next year, it needs to be a smash hit (aside from TLOU-P2) to account for the silence. I think it will be.

It's telling that the first party output is silent, means they have a bunch of content ready to go for year 1. On the inverse, Microsoft have been talking up a big game with their first party studios, but they have at least put some first party content out this year. Again there's a black space with some of their studios for next gen, which is interesting. As a point of comparison only though.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, IIRC Sega did it first with the Saturn and Dreamcast. Though one could make the argument that the original Xbox was just a riff on the Dreamcast.

Until Halo 2, and honestly not really until the 360 did even Microsoft themselves have it figured out. There was basic online play and voice chat and whatnot, but the 360 dash and features laid the groundwork for what would become standard.

Oct 25, 2017
We know more about the PS5 then we do the next Xbox though...?

We already know plenty of how the next PS5 is shaping up.

After Jason's tweets, and how weird this article sounds, I can't take it seriously.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a hot take. But I was waiting for something like this. PS5 was trending worldwide yesterday. Somebody had to put a damper on the enthusiasm. And here we go.

Neithardt

Banned
May 22, 2019
All the buzz will generate when they reveal it. There's nothing to gain by talking at this point. They need people to still invest in PS4s this holiday before moving forward.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure that's enough for me to discount the words of the actual devs that posted in that thread.

I dunno. I'm not totally against them by any means, but I think it's justifiable to be at least a tiny bit nervous?

Why ?
It's a given that not every dev\pub will get \have the same level of satisfaction .
Some companies will be in loop more than other , some will have more dev kits etc etc etc .

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
MS are certainly talking about things that people want, Sony are hanging back a little.

Reasoning seems to be unless Sony do something super dumb, they are set for their next-gen. Console will be solid, plenty of 1st party exclusive titles, extra services like PSNow, VR etc. They are a known quantity for next-gen. After the PS4 showing, they know what direction they are going in.

MS on the other hand need to prove what they can do. Xbox One was a pretty terrible launch with so-so games and services and terrible word of mouth. the 1X and recent acquisitions and a focus on new tech, services and hardware, they really need to show off next-gen.

Either way, its a great time to be a gamer with MS pushing ahead and Sony being a strong focus already.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is always in a such a hurry to write these doom and gloom articles, I guess they bring in lots of clicks.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
People are rooting for the underdog. It's normal. But I agree with the article. Ms is giving the right signals

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
This article is pretty strange. The only info I know about Scarlet was when Mike Ybarra told us "it's gonna be a monster" or something like that. Just unneeded doom and gloom.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Sony doesn't need to worry at all since they have the market in their hands since they are de facto market leader in the console space.

Microsoft has a big job to do if they want to get some of PlayStation userbase to Xbox

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
People in here being free damage control for Sony...

Chill it's just an article, similar articles will and have been made about Nintendo and Microsoft as well and it's going to happen when there are strong rumors of issues at the top.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
more interesting, and for that I think it's been smart for them. Adding mystery to the mix, but at the cost of their first party output this year. Right now, they haven't released any single party games in 2019 for PS4 - only second party output accounts for this year (can't consider GT Sport v2 a release, just a reprint). Whatever they're cooking for next year, it needs to be a smash hit (aside from TLOU-P2) to account for the silence. I think it will be.

Days Gone is this year.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft might have been at e3 but what the hell did they announce about next gen? None of them really impressed me in terms of messaging.

People in here being free damage control for Sony...

Chill it's just an article, similar articles will and have been made about Nintendo and Microsoft as well and it's going to happen when there are strong rumors of issues at the top.

People are just pointing out the article's failings