Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sweet, sweet folks here still thinking after all this time that RDR2 has a chance. That they'll actually give GOTY to a game that multiple staff members actively hated, just because some others like it that much. That's what these personal lists are for. The staff list still has to, to some degree, represent their collective opinions. Even the most contentious GOTY picks, like Skyrim or Mario Maker, none of the staff actively hated the winners.

Ya'll need to wake up, RDR2 has no chance.

CloseTalker but far away from the truth

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
How much time was spent on RDR's problematic redface issues?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pa...-face-proves-how-far-games-havent-come.84222/

Charles Smith has a Black father and a Native mother. He doesn't know the name of his tribe, his father was an alcoholic, and his mother was taken by soldiers. Charles is grateful to find a group of white outlaws to accept him. He uses every part of the buffalo. Charles sucks. He's another racist Rockstar caricature, and honestly that should be enough. But there's another issue with Charles.

The actor who portrays him is neither Black nor Indigenous.

But, that's complicated, because as is not infrequently the case with Native characters in films, he is a person of color.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sweet, sweet folks here still thinking after all this time that RDR2 has a chance. That they'll actually give GOTY to a game that multiple staff members actively hated, just because some others like it that much. That's what these personal lists are for. The staff list still has to, to some degree, represent their collective opinions. Even the most contentious GOTY picks, like Skyrim or Mario Maker, none of the staff actively hated the winners.

I feel like there's no way it will win, but I think it could be #2 or 3.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
So the near-guarantees at this point seem to be

Dead Cells, Into The Breach, Tetris Effect, Obra Dinn, Spider Man, God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2

Which is already 7

What rounds out the top 10?

DBFZ? Destiny? Hitman 2?
I didn't think DBFZ would make it until Vinny's list hit. I think between his love of it, Jason and Ben's appreciation of it and Dan and Jeff's newfound love of Dragonball because of it (even if they didn't play the game itself that much) it'll hit at like number 10 or something. Destiny didn't come out this year, they don't tend to out dlc in the main list and I don't see this year being any different.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I think it can make top 3. Not everyone loved BOTW and it still got in there.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
oh god

3071060-mpp.jpg

HOLIDAY SPECIALTACULAR: MARIO PARTY PARTY 11
I thought we've been good all year! What'd we do to deserve this hell?!

Oct 25, 2017
but she kept pestering me afterwards! sending letters to camp and shit.
I only got one, and I shoved it up Pearson's ass.

Speaking of, goddamn Antagonize Arthur is awful and brutal. Worth watching videos of how awful he can be to people if you've finished the game. The shit he says to Abigail and Pearson are next level burns

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Honestly, a lot can happen with these deliberations, 2017 is a really good example of how Jeff spearheaded PUBG into taking the victory that year despite overwhelming support for Nier: Automata, BoTW and Mario Odyssey. Red Dead absolutely stands a chance with someone like Brad relentlessly supporting it.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, a lot can happen with these deliberations, 2017 is a really good example of how Jeff spearheaded PUBG into taking the victory that year despite overwhelming support for Nier: Automata, BoTW and Mario Odyssey. Red Dead absolutely stands a chance with someone like Brad relentlessly supporting it.
pubg was the best game out of that group though, easily. I mean, it actually IS the best game of that year.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

PUBG was always gonna win. It was the game they played every Monday for half the year.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Again though, none of those games had unanimous support, even PUBG. I literally just listened to those talks, and Alex and Ben (and to a lesser extent Jeff) were the only ones fighting for Nier. Similarly, Dan found out quickly he was the only one willing to truly die on the BotW hill (that he got it to number 2 is a minor miracle). Mario Odyssey had the most support from the staff.

PUBG on the other hand, had pretty much everyone except Abby behind it, and she knew she had no fight against it. PUBG is really one of the least contested number one picks they've recently had, it was only a matter of a couple isolated cases of passion for BotW and Nier. But no one could really argue PUBG

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's still really interesting to me that Alex loved Origins and dislikes Odyssey, the exact opposite is true for me. Origins did not click with me at all and I really didn't get the love for Ba'yek as a character, but so far Odyssey is winning for me.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Is this new Mario party another one of them over doing the 'we hate this but will play it anyway!'
it was good at first but eh I don't need to see that again

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So after listening to the RDR2 segment I don't think it will be their GOTY but should be in the top 5, some of them have a lot of issues with it and one of them even put it in the most despointing bracket, Kinda surprised they didn't talk about the combat though.

Who's the guy in the center btw? Like chill dude, "I looked it up and it does that" again and again.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
pubg was the best game out of that group though, easily. I mean, it actually IS the best game of that year.

I'm not debating it wasn't the best game of that year, but it had some strong competition from games people had REALLY strong feelings about in that room, Jeff definitely pulled his weight in that discussion despite some people not being overly hot on it.