• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• What You Do Will Matter, I Promise

Votes: 42 14.8%
  • I Want To Turn Into A Wolf And Fuck!

Votes: 106 37.3%
  • Business Dave Energy

Votes: 39 13.7%
  • Vinny Don't Goof

Votes: 55 19.4%
  • Money is Yucky, Milk Is Yummy!

Votes: 42 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite thing about this is always Dan's delayed laughing, just kills me.

Oh and if you have an adblocker chances are that's what's keeping the streamable from playing. Yes the world sucks and streamables now have ads.
Yeah but I've had Era whitelisted forever. I wonder if Chrome getting weird with these is what's doing it regardless.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but I've had Era whitelisted forever. I wonder if Chrome getting weird with these is what's doing it regardless.

I think you'd need to whitelist streamable specifically, although I remember playing with it a bit a while back and not being able to figure it out.

I could be wrong though, it's been a while.

edit: lol I'm wrong, whitelisting resetera should work, does for me anyway.

Last edited:

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I might have to check Dragon Age 2 out after I get around to the first one then. I mostly just remember the scathing reviews (game was made in like 12 months or something reusing a lot of assets) and the legendary shit mountain OT filled with various GIFs of "A to awesome" and people's heads bugging out into the stratosphere during dialogue lol.

And while I haven't finished Andromeda (I'm like one mission in), I think the tortured development did it way more harm than it ever deserved, even with more novice developers. From what I've heard they were undercut by BioWare main studio requesting their help on stuff to wrangle Frostbite and not reciprocating in other aspects, went through two or three lead directors and/or writers, etc. Most of the actual game was made in like 18 months iirc, because development was so mismanaged from the top. Because from what I understand the studio that made Anthem made a lot of technical progress on making Frostbite work for a 3rd person game (and a narrative one at that with lots of talking characters), and the main BioWare studio just siphoned off most of that progress for Inquisiton and Anthem. Not to say that it would've been much better ultimately, but it could've been WAYYYYY worse.

And I'm not sure what Jeff even likes. Does he even like really any "AAA" game much at all? Or does he always prefer AA games or smaller indie titles? Is there any genre he likes in particular?

I think a lot of reviewers come off as very casual "dude-bro", or at least more than I am, and don't appreciate more muted exposition that you might find in deeper RPGs and the like if it's not an "X-babble" they're interested in. And I think some of that is certainly the pressure of having to review or cover however many games in a month or year and not having nearly as much time to sink into them unless the main campaign is literally dozens of hours long even rushing through.

I know I'm much more of a completionist for games I enjoy vs. games I care less about.

Jeff had Black Ops 4 as one of his best games of 2018...

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I might have to check Dragon Age 2 out after I get around to the first one then. I mostly just remember the scathing reviews (game was made in like 12 months or something reusing a lot of assets) and the legendary shit mountain OT filled with various GIFs of "A to awesome" and people's heads bugging out into the stratosphere during dialogue lol.

Yes it reused a ton of assets, the combat was incredibly divisive because it was action oriented, the environments were bland and repetitive, and the usual Bioware patina of choice and consequence wasn't even really there because they had to funnel players down very specific paths because they probably didn't have enough time to fill out the content for branching paths.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I'm in the mood for a game that feels nice and like a warm hug. Some comfort food. Any recommendations?

May 5, 2018
I'm in the mood for a game that feels nice and like a warm hug. Some comfort food. Any recommendations?
Wandersong is my most highest recommendation here. It's an adventure/music game hybrid where you are a Bard who's trying to save the universe (even if he's not the chosen one) and along the way helps others out in smaller problems. The writing is really charming, has a great art style and is an easy going game overall. This game is literally a virtual hug!
Wandersong-Pirate-Hug-2.jpg

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff had Black Ops 4 as one of his best games of 2018...

Well okay then. Now it makes a little more sense I guess cause that game didn't even pretend to have a campaign. I'm so very confused still though.

:(

I never bought a Vita, but the hardware was mostly too good for this world (one of the earliest commercial products with an OLED screen I believe, maybe the first "mass market" one). I think competing against Nintendo in the dedicated handheld space is a death sentence though, with how advanced smartphones have become now. Nintendo handhelds are great at being that, even if they're not the most advanced tech (you don't necessarily want anything overly fragile or expensive if you're taking it out places). Smartphones are so ubiquitous even Nintendo is making games for them now with some of their most valuable IP, so the writing was kinda on the wall. A few other missteps and not enough developer support (even 1st party support) was the nail in the coffin. We might never see a decent analog stick like that again built-in to a mobile device.

Speaking of...where is my Metroid iOS game? Or even F-Zero, if not Mario Kart. I'd take Kirby's Air Ride for iPhone if I had to.

Actually a Mario Party for iOS would probably be a banger if it had online support, even if it didn't do anything unique otherwise. I'm not asking for Zelda iOS or something (yet).

I mean they already put Pokemon on the thing and that was one of the most successful mobile games of all time, at least in terms of mindshare, such that it's still popular. Mario Run is alright but not that special.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017

Depends on what you like, but Banished (or a similar city-builder/god-game) could easily be one of my go-to "curl up on a rainy or cold snowy day" games.

Or Stardew Valley, maybe Terraria would be my other suggestions. There are other similar games, but those are the most popular/well-reviewed ones of that type that I own.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony really should make a emulator that plays Vita games on PS4.

(So I can easily play P4G again)

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Also Spec Ops: The Line.

Slime Rancher! It's like Stardew/Harvest moon but in first person and it's charming as heck.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Alex has made me realise how feeble the individual elements of the Mass Effect games are. Like, I remembered the combat being... bearable... and the exploration stuff being... OK... and having the game be "worth it" because of the characters and quests. Similar for ME2 (except the combat was a lot better) And then watching someone else play, it doesn't seem like that at all.

It's these super stilted, almost nonsensical conversations and plot points chained together with video game-ass gameplay encounters, and topped off with some of the worst side content in video games.

It bums me out, man.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think its because a lot of this third episode is Vinny and Alex constantly going the wrong way?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Alex has made me realise how feeble the individual elements of the Mass Effect games are. Like, I remembered the combat being... bearable... and the exploration stuff being... OK... and having the game be "worth it" because of the characters and quests. Similar for ME2 (except the combat was a lot better) And then watching someone else play, it doesn't seem like that at all.

It's these super stilted, almost nonsensical conversations and plot points chained together with video game-ass gameplay encounters, and topped off with some of the worst side content in video games.

It bums me out, man.

god knows why but when you combine it into a thing i like it. every individual element is painful these days though tbh.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Halfway through my trial period with Anthem, I'm just opening up BNet and letting Destiny 2 update. I'd rather be back playing that right now.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

It bums me out, man.

This is why mass Alex 2 is worth it.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
They're maybe the cutest gaming couple. Like they're so adorable.
I was about to come in here and say "Well actually, Bayek and Aya are the best because..." but then I realized you said cutest, and I can't really argue that, you're right. The two I mentioned share some dark, dark history.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017

I think that's a figure model of some sort, but I REALLY WANT IT TO BE A CUPCAKE. Though I'd take one of the women of The Witcher first...

god knows why but when you combine it into a thing i like it. every individual element is painful these days though tbh.

Besides the Mako shenanigans, Mass Effect 1 also had the horrible elevator sections masking loading everywhere because playing off a hard drive wasn't a given in 2007, especially in the Citadel, which is maybe the overall largest location in the first game where non-combat stuff happens?

I think Mass Effect 1 was also a bit more liberal in location size than ME2 was, albeit with less "stuff". ME2 had more condensed (and IMO much more interesting spaces like Omega), but the game was more segmented with the End Mission screens, teleporting you back to your ship or wherever after your battle through waist-high cover infested areas. For me ME3 kinda hit some sweet spots in terms of the combat (2 went too shooty bang and stripped most RPG elements from guns/abilities) as it brought back some stuff from ME1 without the excessive inventory management of mostly useless weapon mods, etc. The story execution of 3 wasn't great, especially the end sequence, and the combat areas weren't really improved and in some cases were worse than those of ME2. (There's at least one sequence [and iirc more than one] where you're on an on-rails chain gun flee sequence in ME3 and shooting at the enemy makes literally no difference, it's purely for cinematic flavor.)

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the only interesting one in that relationship is bayek.
tumblr_oyszl10RU11qcy62fo1_400.gif

Really though she's extremely proactive in looking for their targets and setting up contacts while carrying a lot of the emotional weight in the relationship. She'd be more interesting if we played more of her that wasn't just boat stuff, though.

But I never saw a second of the DLC so maybe we do.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Mass Effect 3 has some straight up Call of Duty moments. Like when the robot lady is running at you in slow motion and if you don't shoot her enough times you get a game over.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_oyszl10RU11qcy62fo1_400.gif

Really though she's extremely proactive in looking for their targets and setting up contacts while carrying a lot of the emotional weight in the relationship. She'd be more interesting if we played more of her that wasn't just boat stuff, though.

But I never saw a second of the DLC so maybe we do.

Thing is she's very static compared to bayek who had a lot more character growth.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Thing is she's very static compared to bayek who had a lot more character growth.
Well my memory of the end of the game is fuzzy enough (I didn't get there when replaying it recently) that I can't really disagree but I still want to. But again, less face time with her so there's less room to grow overall so that wouldn't surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.