• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• What You Do Will Matter, I Promise

Votes: 42 14.8%
  • I Want To Turn Into A Wolf And Fuck!

Votes: 106 37.3%
  • Business Dave Energy

Votes: 39 13.7%
  • Vinny Don't Goof

Votes: 55 19.4%
  • Money is Yucky, Milk Is Yummy!

Votes: 42 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
What rubs me the wrong way is using the completely unrelated labor stuff, which has fuck-all to do with critics doing their jobs re: Anthem, as an attempt to win the moral high ground for catching feels that they don't like your fave. She's literally saying "if GAME CRITICS talked about unionization more, then the games industry would be unionized by now". Believe me I'm all for unionization, but conflating these two things and then taking a swipe at critics like this is pure horse shit.

I don't think that's really what she's saying though?

Like if you see the tweet she was actually talking about it's not a review or anything, it's kinda lazy satire. Feels more like she's talking about that kind of gleefully shitting on it - in a way that actually isn't criticism, just going "game bad, right?" - taking up space/effort that could be spent elsewhere. Not gonna say the union stuff is the most directly connected thought but I can see what she's getting at.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England

PzikPKN.gif

anotherdoof

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming they're talking about the tomb stuff where you need to do like 30 kills with your ultimate and 50 kills in melee or some shit to progress. Old MMO quests were a lot of "Kill 10 rats". So anthem has that old style "kill something an arbitrary amount of times and we'll consider your work complete" deal

Ah yeah that makes sense. Its funny because Destiny had those too but I don't recall it gating the main story progression.

Jeff can be a little hyperbolic, but on the whole I think he's right. It's mediocre. I really wanted a better Destiny and from the demo and everything I've heard, its worse than Destiny 1 (though a different game in many respects). It's a shame really.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about that Anthem quest is they don't even attempt to like shoehorn in a lore reason.
Why would this tomb care if i had found 10 collectibles?

At least mask your fetch quest with the veneer of doing something that matters

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know its weird but its kind of annoying when a sequel to a game shows up and there like "it sure looks like more of that" like yeah of course it does its a sequel to that game it would be weird if it wasn't more of that.

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking more about Anthem...

Originally I baffled why you'd tap Bioware to make a GAAS shlooter. It didn't seem to fit. But then I remembered, Bioware has already made a loot driven live game... Star Wars The Old Republic. Now, I know it's not the *same* Bioware, and I know SWTOR is an MMO, but from a fundamental perspective we're talking about a lot of the same hangups. You have a story focused online game with tons of characters and locations and is driven by combat and finding loot. The mold was right there. TOR had a fully formed campaign with memorable characters, imporant character choices, story twists and turns, etc etc.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I know its weird but its kind of annoying when a sequel to a game shows up and there like "it sure looks like more of that" like yeah of course it does its a sequel to that game it would be weird if it wasn't more of that.

Yeah, either way it isn't super helpful.
But I understand the desire to want to see some evolution outside of maybe graphics.
DOA6 isn't exactly changing the face of DOA

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to the inevitable Schreier tell-all article because I really want to know what the hell was going on behind-the-scenes here. Development apparently started all the way back in 2012, two years before Destiny, and I'd be willing to bet halfway through development someone in the power hierarchy gave the order to reboot whatever it was they were making into a shlooter.

If Anthem was originally just supposed to be a New Single Player Action RPG from Bioware and EA forced them to turn it into a EA's Destiny, that fucking sucks. But honestly it's not surprising considering they told Respawn to deliver a Fortnite as well. Respawn succeeded luckily. Bioware has spent too long in the maw of EA so there was little hope.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
He's usually spot on for single player stuff for me. He enjoyed D2's campaign at least and he hated D1. So far his opinions about Anthem are about the same across the board from other reviewers I follow. Def not gonna buy it day one for an underwhelming campaign and meh endgame content. Hopefully when I get it, it'll have more content added to it.
I guess my point was when Jeff decides he hates a game he goes into full hyperbole mode and and decides literally every single aspect of the game is trash. A lot of the stuff he said about Anthem was just plain wrong.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
They mentioned the idea of an Ocarina of Time remake on the podcast and, somehow, I had never thought of that and man I would be so onboard.

I haven't replayed the game since the original version on 64. I'm. It even sure what would be the best way to play it nowadays if I wanted to?

Oh I guess the 3ds release but then that's on the 3ds...

Oct 25, 2017
They mentioned the idea of an Ocarina of Time remake on the podcast and, somehow, I had never thought of that and man I would be so onboard.

I haven't replayed the game since the original version on 64. I'm. It even sure what would be the best way to play it nowadays if I wanted to?

that... or the wii can run the gamecube version on the zelda collector's disc... or just actual N64

not many great options lol

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I am a bit annoyed that during bombcasts all of them (besides maybe Jason) just go along with Jeffs opinion most of the time. If Dan would be there than it would be at least some back and forth if they disagree. But Brad and Ben just nodding and saying "yeah..." all the time, without sometimes not having played the game even is a bit frustrating. Plus Ben throwing in his wannabefunny jokes about something no ones cares about inbetween. Hmpf.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Not to call out a friend of the site cuz Aurahack's otherwise great but:

tweet 1 (in response to The Onion tweet): man fuck this. anthem is fine this shit is getting to be fucking embarrassing

tweet 2: if like 90% of the media outlets I see repeatedly shitting on anthem gave even a fraction of that effort to covering labor issues we'd have actual unions in every major city by yesterday

y'all are warped

Yikes. This is an embarassingly bad take.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I am a bit annoyed that during bombcasts all of them (besides maybe Jason) just go along with Jeffs opinion most of the time. If Dan would be there than it would be at least some back and forth if they disagree. But Brad and Ben just nodding and saying "yeah..." all the time, without sometimes not having played the game even is a bit frustrating. Plus Ben throwing in his wannabefunny jokes about something no ones cares about inbetween. Hmpf.
Brad definitely chimes in when he disagrees, but Ben is usually the yes man that, as mentioned, tries to make some joke that doesn't land. It was weird listening to the Anthem talk if only because I'm so used to Jason being quiet but this time he was all murmurs throughout Jeff's onslaught of criticisms even though he didn't have much to say to refute it.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017

3DS was actually a remake that's really good. It's one of those "they made it look how you remember it looking". Like you fire it up and thinks everything looks the same, and then you actually look at the N64 version and the 3DS one looks so much better. Plus with the second screen to handle inventory, it's the definitive way to play OoT nowadays

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine if people love or hate Anthem. Hell, I'm a Destiny guy. I'm used to media outlets hating on games I play.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
3DS was actually a remake that's really good. It's one of those "they made it look how you remember it looking". Like you fire it up and thinks everything looks the same, and then you actually look at the N64 version and the 3DS one looks so much better. Plus with the second screen to handle inventory, it's the definitive way to play OoT nowadays
Yeah now that I think about it, I actually bought the 3ds version so I did replay (part of) the game more recently than the original release.

I don't want to dig out my giant gaudy gold 3ds tho lol.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017

Originally I baffled why you'd tap Bioware to make a GAAS shlooter. It didn't seem to fit. But then I remembered, Bioware has already made a loot driven live game... Star Wars The Old Republic. Now, I know it's not the *same* Bioware, and I know SWTOR is an MMO, but from a fundamental perspective we're talking about a lot of the same hangups. You have a story focused online game with tons of characters and locations and is driven by combat and finding loot. The mold was right there. TOR had a fully formed campaign with memorable characters, imporant character choices, story twists and turns, etc etc.
The initial appeal of this game for me was Mass Effect Co-Op gameplay blown out into a full game. Unfortunately it just doesn't feel nearly as tight as that game.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Bro they had six years
Over which the game was probably rebooted several times. Regardless, the devs didn't make those decisions. The issues with anthem undoubtedly stem from poor decision making from management not the individual devs who worked on the game.

Feel free to direct your criticism at EA but the devs shouldn't be used as a punching bag imo

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Over which the game was probably rebooted several times. Regardless, the devs didn't make those decisions. The issues with anthem undoubtedly stem from poor decision making from management not the individual devs who worked on the game.

Feel free to direct your criticism at EA but the devs shouldn't be used as a punching bag imo
it was low-hanging fruit for the onion for sure but that doesn't make her "game critics could've solved game dev unionization" take any less whataboutist nonsense

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah those tweets are a yike from me. Critics doing their jobs is bad when it's a game you like? Come off it. Attempting to use Anthem discourse as a cudgel to beat the press with for not talking about labor enough is... misguided, is putting it kindly.

It was an instant block for me.

Anthem seems like a game that was manufactured soley out of the desire to *have one of those* instead of any genuine creative interest. That's not always inherently a bad thing, but with Anthem... it just feels like an unnecessary and redundant product that is that will likely lead to a lot of Bioware people being out of work.

Everything I've seen of this game screams "uninspired." Actually, that isn't true. It kind of half heartedly mutters "uninspired" as it lazily attempts to be other games.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017

...until this moment I completely forgot SWTOR exists

Status
Not open for further replies.