• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TEMPORARY. SECRETARY.

Votes: 139 35.1%
  • I Wanna Sit Back And Do Jack Fuck

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • I Can't Read, Bro!

Votes: 81 20.5%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 123 31.1%
  • It Came Out Like A Poop

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • You Goatse'd A Question Mark

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • I Managed To Like Captain Dong's Electric Trike

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Maybe this is a nitpick but people have been cut off for so long, why are they writing sentences so casually and using emoji at all, like they've been doing this for a long time?

It would be funny if older characters did so as a sort of pre-Stranding nostalgia thing but everyone does it just because.

I do appreciate The Elder's use of emoji though

c2XcsUY.jpg

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3vrn.gif

Space Dandy delivered in the end. I want this to be good!
Yeah I love Space Dandy too! I think Carole & Tuesday is the most unimaginative and unbelievable sci-fi setting Watanabe and co. have come up with (like deadass it's like 80 years in the future on Mars yet motherfuckers are using 2019-ass smartphones with 2019-ass Instagram and 2019-ass Pitchfork are rating music), and I think the progression of the story is very uneven in terms of pacing but also is really fairly predictable. Carole & Tuesday almost *never* argue, and when you think about what has been the core thrust of each and every one of Watanabe's shows, its the inexorable differences which separate his main character casts yet strangely draw them to each other. There's no friction. And like, they seriously go from playing their first show at a bar to, and I'm not making this up, playing the headlining set at a futuristic Coachella stand-in. It has this really boring B-character plot that feels like it's never going anywhere until it finally does featuring this really ill-defined concept about AI-generated music that just feels so thrown together and inessential. Idk it just feels really sloppy in a way I wasn't expecting from Watanabe, I'm surprised it came out like this.

I think the show doesn't want you to think too much about its world because, hey! The characters are fun and the music's catchy. But then it throws in a really heavy-handed metaphor about Trump's America and wants to be about Big Themes without doing any of the work to be that show. I also wasn't big on Watanabe's Blade Runner short and didn't like Terror in Resonance at all, so I'm kind of worried the guy's lost his touch. It's a bummer.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I am less than 10 episodes from the end of my now over 3 months long ER binge and I am kinda ready for it to be over... The last couple of seasons have been kinda bad... Tho the last one they are going all in on the fan service with a different member of the OG cast showing up on almost every episode....

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I love Space Dandy too! I think Carole & Tuesday is the most unimaginative and unbelievable sci-fi setting Watanabe and co. have come up with (like deadass it's like 80 years in the future on Mars yet motherfuckers are using 2019-ass smartphones with 2019-ass Instagram and 2019-ass Pitchfork are rating music), and I think the progression of the story is very uneven in terms of pacing but also is really fairly predictable. Carole & Tuesday almost *never* argue, and when you think about what has been the core thrust of each and every one of Watanabe's shows, its the inexorable differences which separate his main character casts yet strangely draw them to each other. There's no friction. And like, they seriously go from playing their first show at a bar to, and I'm not making this up, playing the headlining set at a futuristic Coachella stand-in. It has this really boring B-character plot that feels like it's never going anywhere until it finally does featuring this really ill-defined concept about AI-generated music that just feels so thrown together and inessential. Idk it just feels really sloppy in a way I wasn't expecting from Watanabe, I'm surprised it came out like this.

I think the show doesn't want you to think too much about its world because, hey! The characters are fun and the music's catchy. But then it throws in a really heavy-handed metaphor about Trump's America and wants to be about Big Themes without doing any of the work to be that show. I also wasn't big on Watanabe's Blade Runner short and didn't like Terror in Resonance at all, so I'm kind of worried the guy's lost his touch. It's a bummer.
Well that's disappointing, to say the least.

Is the music at least consistently good?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I do appreciate The Elder's use of emoji though

c2XcsUY.jpg
Can I say that I think this is trying too hard and a little inconsistent? Even before this guy I knew the Stranding took place 40-50 years prior and this dude would have been in his 20s (or even 30s) at the time of it so he would still know what the USA is as a concept instead of just blindly referring to the UCA. But, like, he's doing the reference to Trump's border wall and also acting like the Internet isn't already a thing, so the idea of the modern day existing as it is is just out the window.

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian but one of the weirder concepts in the game for me is that the country seemingly lost all contact to the outside world, even though both Canada and Mexico are right fucking there on either side of it, and they need to re-Internet the whole thing. Like in a metaphorical way I get it but maybe I haven't gotten to the point yet (chapter 5 here) where that makes physical sense.

jeff liked an eva gif
is it happenign
"Get In The Cockpit, Dan"
"All Systems Misato"
"E-Dan-Gelion"

(I know Dan's already watched it so this'll never happen)

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Correction: E-Jan-gelion

I just re-listened to last year's GotY and he cut off the theme song (for that drumming game) at a point that clearly indicates he hasn't watched it, so get his young ass in there too. He'd be great for that.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if that Pixel phone they sent Jeff for Stadia testing is a loaner or if he can keep it... If so he should totally give it a try for a few days/weeks...

Nothing against iOS but Android (especially on Pixels) has come a LONG way in the last couple of years and it's pretty great... I feel like there's a lot of custom and hacky things that you can do on there that Jeff would fucking love.

May 30, 2018
I wonder if that Pixel phone they sent Jeff for Stadia testing is a loaner or if he can keep it... If so he should totally give it a try for a few days/weeks...

Nothing against iOS but Android (especially on Pixels) has come a LONG way in the last couple of years and it's pretty great... I feel like there's a lot of custom and hacky things that you can do on there that Jeff would fucking love.
for a second i thought you were talking about jeff b and was incredibly confused

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's really coincidentally timed.

Thankfully it's likely the week before GB's GotY stuff but still, that's on the precipice of burial. What a weird choice; why not just push it to a week into January?
I think it finishes airing a few days before. So they are just getting it up quickly for the fans.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
À propos of nothing... I just noticed that Dan has his account deleted on here... Not that he was posting a lot but that time he came in the thread for the first time in months just to dunk on my saying that Rage 1 was a good game might actually be the last time he posted in here

Not that I can blame them but It's a real bummer that there is basically no interaction between the staff and the community anymore... They have the chat during streams but they barely read it and most of them don't post in forums or on Twitter anymore

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
À propos of nothing... I just noticed that Dan has his account deleted on here... Not that he was posting a lot but that time he came in the thread for the first time in months just to dunk on my saying that Rage 1 was a good game might actually be the last time he posted in here

Not that I can blame them but It's a real bummer that there is basically no interaction between the staff and the community anymore... They have the chat during streams but they barely read it and most of them don't post in forums or on Twitter anymore
I wouldn't want to post here or basically anywhere if I were them.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
On here I once called out Dan really hard on the Saudi stuff with WWE (when the Khashoggi shit happened as a peak over SA's regular human rights abuses) so I don't blame him for ceasing to post here.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

Abby, Ben and Jan posts a lot on Twitter.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019

Jan responds to me on twitter nearly everytime I tweet him.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
it is kind of peculiar to bank on being personality driven and making your monetization based on being glorified twitch streamers while simultaneously living in a bubble of fan seclusion

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame them for not posting here. I also don't mind it since it means we can be as critical as we want without having to tread on eggshells.

Though the community aspect of Giant Bomb has fallen to the wayside compared to the Whiskey media days. Perhaps just the consequence of doing this for so many years and owned by a big company now instead of trying to build up your own thing. Plus neglect of their own forum.

I do wonder which way sub numbers are trending though.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
It's been "site that does dumb videos/podcasts I laugh at" for over 10 years now. If I wanted intelligent conversations around video games, I'd listen to Waypoint and fall asleep.
Except on top of being intelligent and well informed, Waypoint podcasts routinely have funnier banter and stories than anything on GB podcasts these days. (remember when Bombcast used to have fun stories...?)

I still like the GB casts, but Waypoint is just better all around. Their biggest problem seems to be the perception that they are a no fun allowed "intellectual's podcast".

Also, I'm kind of glad the crew doesn't read or post here. Sometimes you just want to vent without them reading it themselves.

Last edited:

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Also why do we take this community as representative of the general fanbase lol. It's not even that big and forum communities are pretty outdated compared to discord, Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, etc. Etc.

They'd be better off interacting with their community through tik tok than through here.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand

Yeah, I agree that he'd probably be into it. I switched back to Android after using iOS for a few years and man it's got so much more QoL shit you can do... if you put the work in

Also why do we take this community as representative of the general fanbase lol. It's not even that big and forum communities are pretty outdated compared to discord, Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, etc. Etc.

They'd be better off interacting with their community through tik tok than through here.
That's true, but also this specific pocket community is one of the better ones imo. the GB forums are garbo and twitter is twitter
also I really tried to get into discord since that seems like it's the new hotness in terms of online communities but something about the instant nature of it really puts me off. i really like how you can be having multiple discussions about different topics on forums because of how slow they are, and also the ability to read them at work is a huge plus
don't get me wrong, I kinda hate it here and wish RE was better, but forums as a concept i like more than anything else i think

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, I realized tonight that Jedi Fallen Order probably has more actual tombs than the first Tomb Raider reboot lol

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be real too. Retreating from social media is probably the healthiest thing anyone can do for themselves lol

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Their sub reddit is actually quite active and positive. I've seen them post on there and Jeff said he thinks it's one of their better communities. It's probably the main place for GB fans to go to these days.

I'm still kind of surprised at the condition of their forum though.

Oct 27, 2017
I fucked up so bad in Death Stranding.

I forgot about the infestation of BTs at the incinerator, lost my trike, and almost died. I might have been able to dashboard and reload but I think that goes against the spirit of the game. So I lost my transportation right before doing the longest trek yet.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I fucked up so bad in Death Stranding.

I forgot about the infestation of BTs at the incinerator, lost my trike, and almost died. I might have been able to dashboard and reload but I think that goes against the spirit of the game. So I lost my transportation right before doing the longest trek yet.
It turns out that the BTs and the MULEs are both kind of against the spirit of the gamey game parts of DS. They're both some mix of mildly annoying and kinda stupid. So this isn't a big deal. Where you are, just keep pulsing out and hold your breath past them. They'll soon be a non-issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.