What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• A Peaceful Life in Satan City

Votes: 125 43.3%
  • Bro-ohs Before Ho-ohs

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Anime In The Streets, Hentai In The Sheets

Votes: 113 39.1%
  • Grip It & Rip It

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • Ban Francisco

Votes: 20 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster, I've been behind on the content for basically the last two years since my son was born but now I'm finally caught up on the Bombcast and the Beastcast and when I listened to ep.549 did I mis-hear or did rich Gallup say he got fired recently because of something he said back when he worked at gamespot? His twitter still says has the disruptor beam website on there so...
Yeah he said the n word
The Noid
the_noid_by_mollyketty-d62p0yf.png

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it has been ten years since Dan Ryckert unleashed this clip into the wild

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Giant Bomb... we need to talk about something.

3050470-quicklooks.jpg

The Quick Looks logo. It's bad. It looks like something from Rocket League. And the blue... why blue??? I'm getting all sorts of mixed messaging from it.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Giant Bomb... we need to talk about something.

3050470-quicklooks.jpg

The Quick Looks logo. It's bad. It looks like something from Rocket League. And the blue... why blue??? I'm getting all sorts of mixed messaging from it.
Agree but then the vast vast majority of the arts the commision from that same dude is always bad so....

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even watched Heartache (I think maybe I saw some of episode 1?)

I just genuinely think Ben would enjoy it

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
romance isn't just picking the nice dialogue options

it's picking the nice dialogue options AND completing story missions

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
It's fucking wild listening to some of the first bombcasts. Jeff and Ryan talk about the emergence of streaming/downloadable movies/music. Jeff is fixated on keeping his physical media while Ryan says fuck it, make everything digital. A listener sends in an email asking them which brand of HDMI cables he should buy

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
It's fucking wild listening to some of the first bombcasts. Jeff and Ryan talk about the emergence of streaming/downloadable movies/music. Jeff is fixated on keeping his physical media while Ryan says fuck it, make everything digital. A listener sends in an email asking them which brand of HDMI cables he should buy
Link plz?

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also going through old bombcasts. I just listened to the episode where they drink the jolly rancher soda and it changes Jeff's voice to an announcer voice.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The 2011 Bombcasts about Dragon Age 2 are real good. You get some nice idealism about the state of Dragon Age 2, and then Vinny tells the gruesome true story of how he broke his finger.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. They must have figured out by this point that nobody watches their content with undivided attention. And that rules out games with a lot of subtitled dialogue.

This is definitely the reason why I haven't gotten past episode 3 of Beast in the East. I just don't have time to be extremely laser focused on content like that. Beast in the East is some "I'm gonna stop everything and only use my phone some of the time" content.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I haven't even watched Heartache (I think maybe I saw some of episode 1?)

I just genuinely think Ben would enjoy it

Ben's entire style of humor is painfully forced ironic detachment. I'm not a fan of that humor in any case, but with a game as sincere and ridiculous as Kingdom Hearts, it's a nightmare combination. I genuinely think it was the worst Giant Bomb content I've ever watched. Worse than the Farmville thing.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Ben's entire style of humor is painfully forced ironic detachment. I'm not a fan of that humor in any case, but with a game as sincere and ridiculous as Kingdom Hearts, it's a nightmare combination. I genuinely think it was the worst Giant Bomb content I've ever watched. Worse than the Farmville thing.

No I think he just genuinely thinks the game is bad after getting a bit into it and is struggling to find anything to talk about it because he just hates playing it.

I think he went into it thinking he might like it but that never happened.

It's like what happened to who's the big boss.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It's really easy to underestimate the amount of like, ingrained design stuff that has built up over the years. Things like checkpoints, autosaves, retries, reactive tutorials, nonlinear level design, and just general tips & tricks to make things more immediately, instinctively playable.

Like, part of what makes old games seem so impossible is that you don't have the manual open beside you. Something like Final Fantasy 1 is an entirely different game because of it--because it came with a full quest guide, monster manual, spellbook, and explanations for virtually everything in the game--but, it's all stuff you find outside of the game itself. Nowadays that info would just be built in or intentionally obscured.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think that accurately reflects what Ben finds enjoyable at all based on what other games he's spoken highly of, and I think he'd be into the sincere + ridiculous things.

EDIT: also if I'm understanding things correctly he stopped at Deep Jungle, which is probably the last of the early worlds that have navigation problems

...actually I wanna go check...

EDIT2: he went +rod/-shield, which at least means he'd have been able to do what I did (though I did -sword) and just

spam spells and summons later, ridiculously

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
Kingdom Hearts in this day and age, requires someone who genuinely adores it. There's so much nonsense and garbage (and I say this as someone who myself adores the series) around it that doing a faux ironic playthrough instead of buckling down and just trying to play the game will lead to some really boring videos and playthrough.

It's almost definitely not everyone's cup of tea (I have some major gripes of my own with them) but the oney plays folks did, for all intents and purposes, a good contemporary playthrough of KH1. Granted, they heavily edit their videos and the person playing it actually liked the video game. They also do bits here and there (which, again, some land, some hit, some painfully bad), but they worked it and made something entertaining. Hell they even had rotating guests. There's a lot of stuff working against Ben's playthrough. Top to bottom, KHeartache was just bad. Ain't nothing was saving it.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
And also honestly, at least he gave it a try before hating it unlike the rest of giantbomb who hates it out of instinct.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Also seriously I don't understand why it's brought up that much.

It's a failed series. There have a multitude of other failed series. Whatever. We just talked about being your b games recently. That was bad. With one good part which is so bad it's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.