Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
A vector, at it's simplest is (x1,y1)(x2,y2). A line basically. Granularity will obviously be beyond any texel, 'polygon' style rendering (with exclusions), but the basis to me will always be all the simple ass shit I did in Turbo Pascal in high school.

Edit: Maybe the best explanation is single tone filled shapes, but that's still a bit wanting.
Flat shaded polygon rasterizer.
Pretty much only difference to modern graphics is that the shading was usually done per polygon and with predefined colors instead of a small program per pixel.

Should not be confused with early vector/line displays which couldn't actually show rasterized graphics.

Rotoscoping simply means tracing over existent footage. Vector graphics refers more pertinently to flat shaded graphic design (there's more nuance than this, I swear).
Yup.

Rotoscoping artists are also the unsung heroes of the CGI film industry.
They separate foreground from background for each frame and allow occlusion to happen with animated graphics.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017

Not that old but I thought this water in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on PS2 was awesome.

Dark Alliance is still one of my favorite games on how to exploit hardware and bypass it's weaknesses,

Textures were baked in low enough resolution to reduce shimmer from Ps2 bad texturing.
Game was supersampled to allow better quality and why not as Ps2 had huge fillrate and game didn't have much overdraw due to top down camera.
Lot of polygons were used in environment to give surfaces depth and lighting information for stones and other elements.
Water mesh was highly dense and simulated in VU1.
outcast-18orf.jpg

The Water and the Daokas (portals) in the game were mesmerizing stuff for it's day, 1999. All software based with no GPU support.

Sadly, no gif just youtube:

Yup, it was nice.
In hindsight voxel engines would have been perfect candidates for screen space reflections, as it would have been easy to do and holes could have been filled with voxel raycast. (As there was no view rotation it could have been done very fast for each vertical line at time.)

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's truly 3D with depth testing and all. Yoshi's Island is one of the rare games to embed a SuperFX2 co-processor.
I don't see what the island in the title screen is doing that couldn't be done with mode 7 to be honest. Maybe the SFX2 chip is being used for the distortion effect in the logo? I have no idea. :P

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
It's truly 3D with depth testing and all. Yoshi's Island is one of the rare games to embed a SuperFX2 co-processor.
Yeah, I mean there are polygonal 3D objects in many of the levels, like the spinning cylinders and the falling planks, so I don't doubt the game can do 3D. Those objects don't look anything like what I'm seeing on the title screen though, so are you absolutely sure it's not just mode 7 and sprites there?

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
This F-1 thing from 1976 is seriously impressive. Reminds me of the time Sega mounted cameras on RC cars and let people race them via sit down arcade machines

That's incredible. You can imagine that anyone who attended/participated in that event probably had their minds blown. Fast forward to modern times and we have the drone racing league.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I mean there are polygonal 3D objects in many of the levels, like the spinning cylinders and the falling planks, so I don't doubt the game can do 3D. Those objects don't look anything like what I'm seeing on the title screen though, so are you absolutely sure it's not just mode 7 and sprites there?

The video below shows what happens when the SNES' S-PPU is on the way out. That's just the default chip in the SNES, which is responsible for Mode 7. The Super FX chip is what does the sprite scaling (as the S-PPU could only do background scaling) and in the video below they're fine. So to me that indicates that the island is Mode 7 and the sprites use the Super FX chip.

Even without that it makes more sense from a development perspective to do that as it's a hell of a lot cheaper in terms of time and resource to do

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
After the SNES, few genesis games impressed me the same as a typical mode 7 effect... but OH boy with Batman and Contra Hard Corps.
They are both insane.

3007965-contra+hard+corps+robot+run+01.gif

I guess I really like sprite-rotation.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
54c5b45ceb7d6b40efdbee22b1360e00.gif

Keith Courage! One of my favorite games back in the day.
I got one of those when they launched being blown away by the system and its graphics.

Totally regretted it 6 months later when I saw the Genesis and Altered Beast. I somehow convinced my parents to get me a SNES at launch and eventually got the Genesis for cheap 3 years later (I needed one for Phantasy Star and greatly enjoyed many other games with it).

I can only imagine how much more impact the TG would have gotten if it had come out 1-2 years earlier in the US.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Couple of Amiga titles that really impressed me back in the day:

Elfmania - A pretty crap beat 'em up but technically amazing.

I thought Shadow Fighter was even better, with the same "ground parallax" as seen in SF2 (and Elfmania) and tons of additional real layers of parallax for the background.
Shame for the horrendous artstyle, these guys' engine could handle an impressive SF2 port minus the # of colours onscreen.

Yeah I'm aware it's a GBA, I was talking about Aladdin on Master System

Then I probably messed up quoting messages, i was strictly talking about Iridion 3D on GBA using "fmv" as backgrounds.
As for Aladdin, that's really impressive, i'd imagine those bricks are animated characters, hence the repeating pattern, but there's a lot more to it.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Going deeper older!

Snoopy and The Red Baroon on the Atari 2600. The bullet holes in Snoopy's house when he got hit always impressed me:

VWKco4n.gif

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I thought Shadow Fighter was even better, with the same "ground parallax" as seen in SF2 (and Elfmania) and tons of additional real layers of parallax for the background.
Shame for the horrendous artstyle, these guys' engine could handle an impressive SF2 port minus the # of colours onscreen.

I remember reading about the game when it was in development and one of the reasons it ran so well was, if memory serves, because it only actually used around 8 colours onscreen rather than the usual 32 (I think!). They used the equivalent of cross-hatching/stippling to make up the various shades so it appeared to have more.

On the other side you have the likes of Lionheart that managed to get 1000's of colours onscreen at once, parallax scrolling and also managed to run interlaced in parts.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
I love pseudo-3D effects/sprite scaling and rotation, so this thread is my kind of thing. Here's a bunch of my lesser known favorites that haven't been posted yet:

The 3D Battles of WorldRunner - NES (1987):
YhQceNl.gif

Ace o Nerae! - SNES (1993):
ZLopNYQ.gif

Panorama Cotton - Sega Genesis (1994):
PQiZNx2.gif

Dark Edge - Arcade (1994):
IVpEGsL.gif

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
After the SNES, few genesis games impressed me the same as a typical mode 7 effect... but OH boy with Batman and Contra Hard Corps.
They are both insane.

3007965-contra+hard+corps+robot+run+01.gif

I guess I really like sprite-rotation.
the thing that's really impressive about hard corps is that it doesn't have sprite rotation at all - everything that looks like it rotates is made up of smaller bits that orbit and have a few variations for different angles that when put together give the impression of smooth rotation

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't see what the island in the title screen is doing that couldn't be done with mode 7 to be honest. Maybe the SFX2 chip is being used for the distortion effect in the logo? I have no idea. :P

mode 7 is only able to scale and rotate one layer. In this scene, the soil of the island is rendered in mode7, but the rest is still rotated, scaled and depth tested.

The video below shows what happens when the SNES' S-PPU is on the way out. That's just the default chip in the SNES, which is responsible for Mode 7. The Super FX chip is what does the sprite scaling (as the S-PPU could only do background scaling) and in the video below they're fine. So to me that indicates that the island is Mode 7 and the sprites use the Super FX chip.

Even without that it makes more sense from a development perspective to do that as it's a hell of a lot cheaper in terms of time and resource to do

Exactly. The island soil is a tilemap rendered in mode7 while the sprites are rendered by the superfx into the super nes's video memory.

After beating the game, the title-screen change:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
mode 7 is only able to scale and rotate one layer. In this scene, the soil of the island is rendered in mode7, but the rest is still rotated, scaled and depth tested.

Exactly. The island soil is a tilemap rendered in mode7 while the sprites are rendered by the superfx into the super nes's video memory.

After beating the game, the title-screen change:

If it indeed uses the SFX2 for sprites, then that's weird, because I have to be honest, I don't see any sprite scaling or rotation in the title screen, never did.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
If it indeed uses the SFX2 for sprites, then that's weird, because I have to be honest, I don't see any sprite scaling or rotation in the title screen, never did.

I was going to say this. I'm almost certain the sprites don't rotate or scale there. Doesn't mean the SuperFX chip didn't process them. Maybe it performs some tricks to make sure they are Z-ordered properly as they spin around the centre?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

That's actually true, probably just the mind filling in the gaps. The thing is though that you could still use the Super FX to move the sprites around and pass them between the foreground/background layers. Again, cheaper in terms of system resource to offload that to hardware designed to do that kind of thing.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I remember reading about the game when it was in development and one of the reasons it ran so well was, if memory serves, because it only actually used around 8 colours onscreen rather than the usual 32 (I think!). They used the equivalent of cross-hatching/stippling to make up the various shades so it appeared to have more.

On the other side you have the likes of Lionheart that managed to get 1000's of colours onscreen at once, parallax scrolling and also managed to run interlaced in parts.

8 colours..hmm..It uses very few but 8 doesn't sound right.
Per layer maybe ?

Lionheart was incredible.
It was basically using several layers of the infamous Amiga copper effect, masked as to replace selected shades of the colours used for the foreground.

Also on Amiga

Or this

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've always liked the abstract visual effects used during battle in the PS1 FF games, just from an aesthetic POV I guess.

final-fantasy-7-omnislash-o.gif

2oyE.gif

WindyBlandGermanshepherd-size_restricted.gif

I was going to say this. I'm almost certain the sprites don't rotate or scale there. Doesn't mean the SuperFX chip didn't process them. Maybe it performs some tricks to make sure they are Z-ordered properly as they spin around the centre?
That's actually true, probably just the mind filling in the gaps. The thing is though that you could still use the Super FX to move the sprites around and pass them between the foreground/background layers. Again, cheaper in terms of system resource to offload that to hardware designed to do that kind of thing.
Yeah probably doing some stuff that isn't immediately obvious.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018

Not that old but I thought this water in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on PS2 was awesome.

Justice League Heroes (2006), among other "dungeon crawlers" used that same engine and had a PSP port - it doesn't run at 60fps there but it looks excellent on a handheld for it's time and plays really quite well for how much is on screen and the quality thereof (including water mesh). I kind of wish all of the Snowblind engine games had mobile ports like Bard's Tale, I'd play them.

giphy.gif

I quite like the sprites in the GBA version of Dark Alliance, water effects are less impressive though...:P

giphy.gif

Last edited:

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
18 years ago (2001):

qqqjOIy.gif

BA6Iimy.gif

GIFs from one of the previous ResetERA threads about Severance: Blade of Darkness. Notice the wall clang on the first GIF too.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
Chiming in with some that I think haven't been posted.

The water in the Sinking Old Sanctuary level of Castlevania: Bloodlines.

source.gif

Character selection morphing from Contra: Hard Corps.

giphy.gif

The special stages in Sonic 2.

QyyKCpc.gif

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
8 colours..hmm..It uses very few but 8 doesn't sound right.
Per layer maybe ?

Lionheart was incredible.
It was basically using several layers of the infamous Amiga copper effect, masked as to replace selected shades of the colours used for the foreground.

Also on Amiga

Or this

At least include the game titles!

First two are Mr. Nutz Hopping Mad (first is main gameplay, second is the 3D bonus stage), and the last one (with the bee) is Apidya.