Status
Not open for further replies.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
As much as it pains me I have to agree with the video. I played the game fairly recently after the PS5 patch came out and it just did nothing for me. Every faction was shitty in an unfun way, and none of the characters jumped out at me.

I was looking forward to the horde gameplay, but even that fell flat for me. It almost seemed like there was this weird mismatch between the player mechanics and the horde mechanics. Deacon felt way too sluggish for a guy spending so much time evading a huge group of enemies.

All in all I was very disappointed, as it had been recommended by a lot of people on this board with otherwise good taste.

Oct 25, 2017
People are so fucking precious about this game, it's straight up embarrassing. You can like a game that isn't that great, it's not a fucking judgement on you.
Thank you for your permission. People that enjoyed it critiquing the game and saying it isn't perfect but that the vitriol that is tossed its way is unwarranted. That is what is embarrassing? Hmm, okay.
Because lots of people like the game, and everyone who doesn't seems to go out of there way to be hyperbolic about it. Hard not to get a little defensive when every topic on Days Gone gets littered with people doing drive by insults, which are often framed in a way that is insulting to anyone who enjoys the game.

I'm sure there are some Sony fanboys mixed in.. but TBH.. I've seen big Sony fans absolutely crap all over the game too.

I don't personally care to be defensive myself; but the instinct is hard to avoid for a product you like that has so many people so eager to troll any topic regarding it.
Yep.

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it. It's a slow burn for sure and definitely needed some fat trimmed. But for a studio the size of Bend it was a fantastic achievement. Is it rubbish to watch instead of play? Possibly. Was the protagonist a grunting male fantasy embodied? Again, possibly, but then that's the case in the vast majority of games.

I don't understand people who outright state that it doesn't deserve a sequel. At the very least Bend have created a fantastic core of a game that given the right adjustments could be a winner all round, why deprive them of that option?

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
As much as it pains me I have to agree with the video. I played the game fairly recently after the PS5 patch came out and it just did nothing for me. Every faction was shitty in an unfun way, and none of the characters jumped out at me.

I was looking forward to the horde gameplay, but even that fell flat for me. It almost seemed like there was this weird mismatch between the player mechanics and the horde mechanics. Deacon felt way too sluggish for a guy spending so much time evading a huge group of enemies.

All in all I was very disappointed, as it had been recommended by a lot of people on this board with otherwise good taste.

It is just not for everyone, and that's ok. I think it is fine for what it does and I was mostly hoping to see it *VASTLY* improved in a sequel. I'm wishing they had a chance to perfect the formula.

I will stand by my statement the secret ending could lead to interesting things, I've talked about it before.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it is a little disappointing to see her take part in the "outraged gamer" type of videos. I find that the hyperbolic anger / criticism towards these games unhelpful and mean spirited - kind of just to rub it in the faces of the people who worked hard on it and enjoyed it.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I asked this before but I got quickly buried, but for people who follow their content more closely, did they mention if they are going to make a video about Mass Effect LE?
I only watch their Youtube reviews, but I think you can sometimes get an idea of what they're reviewing next based on their Twitch streams as they usually live stream a lot of it prior to review to gather footage and what not. They seem to have a pretty quick turn around on their videos though for the most part, so it doesn't look like they announce their reviews ahead of time at all. They just drop it whenever. Maybe on Patreon they do announce ahead though.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bingo. It's a AAA Sony exclusive that not a lot of people liked and it got relatively middling reviews so.. yeah. The defense force is full on

I would defend the game as being at least "pretty good" and if anything I've been pretty anti-sony and a bit of an xbox fanboy this cycle.

So many things are moderated on this forum, so many things not allowed, maybe we should add "claiming peoples liking of a game is not genuine but part of a console defense force or *insert other*" to the list

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
it is a little disappointing to see her take part in the "outraged gamer" type of videos. I find that the hyperbolic anger / criticism towards these games unhelpful and mean spirited.

Eh, I skimmed through it but I think of it more as an act than how she truly feels, but also IDk how it would be to watch someone play this game lol.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
I never said melting down. But on this very page someone wrote that it's getting nauseating and tiresome because someone else shit-posts that only Sony fans like this game.
a shit-post on the internet about a video game should never get to a point where it's taking a toll on someone. I am just saying it's better ignore those people.
nobody will give you a medal by defending a game on a forum
I'd generally agree but if you're arguing that some people are too invested in video games it's odd to focus on the people reacting to a post that believes anyone sharing their positive feelings about a game are involved in a corporate conspiracy, as opposed to you know...the people that actually promote that.

Last edited:

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
It is just not for everyone, and that's ok. I think it is fine for what it does and I was mostly hoping to see it *VASTLY* improved in a sequel. I'm wishing they had a chance to perfect the formula.

I will stand by my statement the secret ending could lead to interesting things, I've talked about it before.
For what it's worth I completely agree. Not every game has to be for every person, and in fact I think it's good that they aren't! I do think the studio is capable of improving a lot in their next game, but I also think it might be for the best that they move on from the open world Zombie genre to do it, no matter how compelling the secret ending was (and yes, I also agree that the secret ending was pretty cool)

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth I completely agree. Not every game has to be for every person, and in fact I think it's good that they aren't! I do think the studio is capable of improving a lot in their next game, but I also think it might be for the best that they move on from the open world Zombie genre to do it, no matter how compelling the secret ending was (and yes, I also agree that the secret ending was pretty cool)

You are absolutely right! I'm sure whatever they tackle next will be exactly what they need in order to grow, as such I think people shouldn't look at it as "aw sucks they can't do days gone 2" (which I admit I have done in the past) and should instead be, "I'm excited as hell for whatever they put out next!"

The world just isn't ready yet for a

Full on Wesker-esque (from Resident Evil) video game where the protag has his powers

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
I'd generally agree but if you're arguing that some people are too invested in video games it's odd to focus on the people reacting to a post that believes anyone sharing their positive feelings about a game are involved in a corporate conspiracy, as opposed to you know...the people that actually promote that.
moderating shit-posting isn't my job. mods will clean up if they deem it necessary.
I only tried to give what I thought to be an advice since people got genuinely upset.

trailmix16

Oct 26, 2017
when is days gone not a 'slog' or past its 'opening hours'? because i played up till iron mike and was still waiting for the game to get better...

DG also made me appreciate RDR2 approach to missions. sure theyre on rails, but they always introduce new mechanics, do a variety of things, and are just fun?

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
The worst part about Days Gone is that it takes around 20-25 hours for you to get the tools you need to take out large hordes, which was the main draw of the game for me. And those 20-25 hours feel more like 40 since the game fucking drags. It should have cut out the entire Tucker/Copeland introduction to make the pacing feel better since the game doesn't start to get good until well into Iron Mike's quest chain.

I like it though, warts and all. Surprised to see the amount of people hating on Deacon since I thought his character growth was nice.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
when is days gone not a 'slog' or past its 'opening hours'? because i played up till iron mike and was still waiting for the game to get better...

DG also made me appreciate RDR2 approach to missions. sure theyre on rails, but they always introduce new mechanics, do a variety of things, and are just fun?
Do people not realize saying a game gets better 20 hours in is not the ringing endorsement they think it is?

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Couldn't get past the first hour, stab stab stab, lag while looting, hiding in long grass nah fuck that.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Man... this was a good one. I really liked the line "So he can go play the level and you can watch from a mile away..."

A "listen bar," seriously?
Did IGN really give Doom a 7???

(Yes, that's my takeaway)
Yeah, this is something that will stick with me, lol. Kermit at that part had me gigglin'.

Hey, even if you disagree with her, you get a shout-out at the end. She's happy for you!

OwpvDjt.jpg
lol

Oh, that poor deer "20 seconds after they started playing it."

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Those 20 hours people keep mentioning are probably 5 if you play until Iron Mike without any distractions. That's when the game gets real good.

Speaking for myself though, I loved it from the start.

Megapighead

May 2, 2018
I really, really tried to like Days Gone. Usually I'm all over Sony exclusives. But this game just bored me to tears.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to be blunt but I think these kinds of posts are pathetic and extremely childish (along with those blindly cheering on the "savage shitting" on the game by these youtubers).

I never posted much about this game on era, played through it two months ago when I got a PS5 and obviously I'm one of its biggest defenders in this thread while also acknowledging its biggest shortcomings (cringy writing, uneven voice-over direction for me), just like many other people who generally enjoyed the game are doing. Pretty much no one is calling it a flawless masterpiece.

Please feel free to go through all of my post history and prove me how I'm a Sony fanboy.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

For what it's worth I don't think it's a bad game either, a solid 7, nothing wrong with that even though some of its most ardent defenders do so quite... enthusiastically.

I think if Bend ever gets a chance to do a sequel they could really hit it out of the park.

Oct 25, 2017
Those 20 hours people keep mentioning are probably 5 if you play until Iron Mike without any distractions. That's when the game gets real good.

Speaking for myself though, I loved it from the start.
Shit for me it was 20 hours, then again I was engrossed in the game. Playing on a higher difficulty with the UI turned off and gyro aiming (really wish I could find the thread on here that mentioned it). Game was really good, I imagine if I had played it upon its original release I would have felt quite differently. After the 60 FPS patch on PS5 and numerous rounds of bug fixes it really is an underrated game. I have hopes that the franchise isn't completely dead, even if it means waiting 5-10 years. I like zombie games, I'm still not tired of it, and I honestly don't remember playing an open world one in the genre. Maybe people could recommend more?
For what it's worth I don't think it's a bad game either, a solid 7, nothing wrong with that even though some of its most ardent defenders do so quite... enthusiastically.
It's most ardent defenders are right there with you, I would give the game a 7-8. It truly falters in the same way that numerous other open world games have faltered. I think the thing that gives it a higher score for me compared to Assassins Creed/Ghost is that I don't feel like my time was overly brought down by a collect/quest-a-thon.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Shit for me it was 20 hours, then again I was engrossed in the game. Playing on a higher difficulty with the UI turned off and gyro aiming (really wish I could find the thread on here that mentioned it). Game was really good, I imagine if I had played it upon its original release I would have felt quite differently. After the 60 FPS patch on PS5 and numerous rounds of bug fixes it really is an underrated game. I have hopes that the franchise isn't completely dead, even if it means waiting 5-10 years. I like zombie games, I'm still not tired of it, and I honestly don't remember playing an open world one in the genre. Maybe people could recommend more?
Yeah this, if I only played it on the PS4, and I largely played it for the story, I'd probably give it a 5/10 instead of the 8.5/10 I do for it on the PS5.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who DID like this game the video did make me laugh. Have to laugh at the dumb shit too.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it could take you a long time if you play slow and find it enjoyable. I did the same thing as the game's atmosphere and exploration is probably one of the best out there. Sure it is not as full of content as something like Red Dead but the world was so well designed that exploring and finding supplies was really fun. The bike's fuel and the ambush systems and random events made it really intense. Not to mention the hordes that showed up at the worst possible moment (or the best when you have a whole gang of people after you). It was truly sandbox and intense.

But yeah, I keep telling people to tell me where those "games" that were done before this one are but as always, nobody answers and when they do answer, it always ends up being TLOU, Dying Light or some survival game that barely has any story or SP content. Nothing like this one.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
But yeah, I keep telling people to tell me where those "games" that were done before this one are but as always, nobody answers and when they do answer, it always ends up being TLOU, Dying Light or some survival game that barely has any story or SP content. Nothing like this one.
Yep.

Also one aspect that I don't think has been mentioned is the random encounters on the game, you can be breezing along on your bike, pancaking the occasional freak then suddenly a laser appears on you from a sniper, bam you're taken down and your bike wipes out 300 ft away. The sniper is still pinning you down while 3 other guys that were lying in the bushes start screaming and running towards you, you frantically take them out but your gunshots alert a pack of wolves who chime in, then that battle alerts some freakers, they come rushing in, etc.

Had this happen once which was topped off by a screamer being alerted, she does her scream which completely disoriented my vision as about 15 freakers come running to answer the call. Basically 20 minutes of frantic gameplay that happened because I was driving from point A to point B. That's neat.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

Also one aspect that I don't think has been mentioned is the random encounters on the game, you can be breezing along on your bike, pancaking the occasional freak then suddenly a laser appears on you from a sniper, bam you're taken down and your bike wipes out 300 ft away. The sniper is still pinning you down while 3 other guys that were lying in the bushes start screaming and running towards you, you frantically take them out but your gunshots alert a pack of wolves who chime in, then that battle alerts some freakers, they come rushing in, etc. I

Had this happen once which was topped off by a screamer being alerted, she does her scream which completely disoriented my vision as about 15 freakers come running to answer the call. Basically 20 minutes of frantic gameplay that happened because I was driving from point A to point B. That's neat.
Yeah the AI interaction is one of the best last gen.

I have so many "straight out of a movie" encounters that happened dynamically. Sometimes you are exploring and want to find gas only to then have a series of events that happen out of nowhere and feel like actual missions in other games. It is such a great open world.

I hope that their next game takes everything from this game at least. Make it a secret Days Gone 2 in a new IP but with vampires or something to stop the "GENERIC ZOMBIES!!!" complaints and giving us more of this formula.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it could take you a long time if you play slow and find it enjoyable. I did the same thing as the game's atmosphere and exploration is probably one of the best out there. Sure it is not as full of content as something like Red Dead but the world was so well designed that exploring and finding supplies was really fun. The bike's fuel and the ambush systems and random events made it really intense. Not to mention the hordes that showed up at the worst possible moment (or the best when you have a whole gang of people after you). It was truly sandbox and intense.

Yep. That is exactly what I found most enjoyable about the game. I've never been to Oregon and it felt like the game really created that. It was a joy to get lost riding around and scavenging for supplies and gasoline. Again, I think a huge part of this was playing the game on a harder difficulty, turning off the UI, and using gyro controllers. I would love to play another game that is like this with more polish, I'm sure someone will let me know what it is.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Yeah the AI interaction is one of the best last gen.

I have so many "straight out of a movie" encounters that happened dynamically. Sometimes you are exploring and want to find gas only to then have a series of events that happen out of nowhere and feel like actual missions in other games. It is such a great open world.

I hope that their next game takes everything from this game at least. Make it a secret Days Gone 2 in a new IP but with vampires or something to stop the "GENERIC ZOMBIES!!!" complaints and giving us more of this formula.
And the damn runners later on in the game. You hear a growl and start firing from gun behing you on your bike to take down this infected wolf variant that can actually outrun your bike at top speed, only to be focusing on that and suddenly have another freaker leap across the road and clothesline you, which the camera cuts to a dramatic viewpoint showing you getting wiped out and your bike careening off into the distance, likely totalled. It's infuriating when that happens but it's also so well done, it's not just your health bar being whittled down by people taking potshots at you, your ass is smashed into the pavement and you're thrown into a combat situation with different enemies.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Yep. That is exactly what I found most enjoyable about the game. I've never been to Oregon and it felt like the game really created that. It was a joy to get lost riding around and scavenging for supplies and gasoline. Again, I think a huge part of this was playing the game on a harder difficulty, turning off the UI, and using gyro controllers. I would love to play another game that is like this with more polish, I'm sure someone will let me know what it is.
It's very similar to Horizon in that even though the world is brutal and harsh, it's just so beautiful and the weather is so random that I love to just chill around in the environment. Games like this I don't think you can totally separate the gameplay vs. graphics, the graphics absolutely sell the environment which really helps the immersion.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the thread is literally themed as an unbiased takedown of the game. I added a more serious critique to the commentary that exists in original video.
Again, who are you trying to convince? The game is flawed, even those that are continually engaging the thread fully admit that. Backseat or not, GR's video is accurate, the section on bugs is overblown. The general criticism is true, the game has exceptional pacing problems and an absurd protagonist that falls flat as an actual character who is on a redemption arc. Doesn't change the fact that I still find the gameplay engaging and enjoyed the hell out of the biker/zombie/open world Bend Oregon simulator that had a average story.

Oct 27, 2017
And the damn runners later on in the game. You hear a growl and start firing from gun behing you on your bike to take down this infected wolf variant that can actually outrun your bike at top speed, only to be focusing on that and suddenly have another freaker leap across the road and clothesline you, which the camera cuts to a dramatic viewpoint showing you getting wiped out and your bike careening off into the distance, likely totalled. It's infuriating when that happens but it's also so well done, it's not just your health bar being whittled down by people taking potshots at you, your ass is smashed into the pavement and you're thrown into a combat situation with different enemies.
Yeah I loved the enemies in this. Even though you became a tank late into the game (which by the way was really cool as it shows how much stronger you became and could have been a cool plot point if we had gotten a sequel. Surely those injectors were turning Deacon into a freak?

Maybe an occult themed game could work. Something like Blade where you fight vampires, witches and ghouls (ghouls would be reskinned freakers). I really hope this formula isn't trashed. It has tons of potential and I will always be sad we might never get a sequel.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Again, who are you trying to convince? The game is flawed, even those that are continually engaging the thread fully admit that. Backseat or not, GR's video is accurate, the section on bugs is overblown.
It should be known that they played this game very recently. On PC, during their streams on twitch. It wasn't overblown, the devs very clearly bit off more than they could chew and even after patches it's not as polished as Sony's other games.
The general criticism is true, the game has exceptional pacing problems and an absurd protagonist that falls flat as an actual character who is on a redemption arc. Doesn't change the fact that I still find the gameplay engaging and enjoyed the hell out of the biker/zombie/open world Bend Oregon simulator that had a average story.
I mean you do you fam.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Game is just fine and it blows my mind that a game that is just as fine as this one attracts such exaggerated opinions

It's a 7.5 game. It's fine. It's not going to blow your mind. It's not even close to being bad. I'm not sure why people get so fired up over it outside of it being because it was a Sony exclusive so people had insane expectations and are still riding that.

it is a little disappointing to see her take part in the "outraged gamer" type of videos. I find that the hyperbolic anger / criticism towards these games unhelpful and mean spirited - kind of just to rub it in the faces of the people who worked hard on it and enjoyed it.

Yeah, gamer discourse is a fucking trainwreck 95% of the time

Last edited:

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Always thought the game looked awful.

Who really thought it was a good idea to make a game where you play as a white supremacist looking biker?

Oct 25, 2017
It should be known that they played this game very recently. On PC, during their streams on twitch. It wasn't overblown, the devs very clearly bit off more than they could chew and even after patches it's not as polished as Sony's other games.

I mean you do you fam.
I platinumed the game recently on PS5, I never once experienced bugs were individuals yeeted through the air or air humped a tree. No one is saying it is as polished as Sony's other games, well nearly no one. Again, the individuals that continually engage in this thread have countless times said it is flawed and isn't a masterpiece. What exactly do you want fam?

Who are you trying to convince? Actually curious, have you played it since the PS5 update?

Last edited:

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
After playing 10 hours I looked at how long missions were taking, what little fun I was having, and quit. You can tell a lot of work was done with this game. It's just that none of it comes together in a way I enjoy. Mission structure, gameplay, story, dialog, direction; it's all a mess and none of it is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.