Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game made me believe that ERA is full of astroturfers.

I have trouble understanding how anyone could like mario odyssey and I could fill a video with reasons why I think it's terrible, but I don't accuse people who like it of being somehow fake/shills/astroturfed. Just accept not everyone agrees with you. It's part of growing up.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
No joke, I bet 99% haven't even watched the video they linked in full (it was longer than plenty have said they even spent with the game), I just did and provided my thoughts. In a nutshell, I don't think the criticism is remotely new at all. That isn't to say it isn't valid, it completely is, it has been said much more succinctly but whatever.
You kept asking who this criticism is for, like it needs to hit a certain demographic to be worthy or needs to be new or is somehow aimed at people who think the game is a 10/10 when that's not the case and is a strawman argument. It looks like gatekeeping criticism. But you did admit it was reactionary in the previous post, so at least you engaged with the content.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's because it's a Playstation exclusive (on console). Console warring is still very much a thing sadly, and I don't even own an Xbox or Switch.
The only "console warring" that is going on here is drive-by "game is trash" posters accusing anyone who likes the game despite its flaws of being Sony fanboys. I've rarely seen a group on era being this stubbornly pathetic.

And after being called out, not once did any of those guys provide and further clues that the people they are accusing of being fanboys are actually fanboys.

Last edited:

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Never played the game and never heard of this channel. Very well made video and great comedic timing and bits. Good stuff.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
T-0: OP posts review

T+1:

T+12: earliest possible end to the video

thinking-emoji-14.gif

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
not watched all the video but I have to say as someone who loves Sony games to the point I buy them all and platinum them all (except Returnal I suck too much haha) I played this around 5 hours and NEVER went back. Nothing about it clicked with me at all. The world, the writing, the combat. Idk something just seemed off. Maybe it gets better? Maybe they patched it as that was At launch, but no other Sony game has had me drop off so fast and not want to return. So Imo they are correct

Oct 25, 2017
You kept asking who this criticism is for, like it needs to hit a certain demographic to be worthy or needs to be new or is somehow aimed at people who think the game is a 10/10 when that's not the case and is a strawman argument. It looks like gatekeeping criticism. But you did admit it was reactionary in the previous post, so at least you engaged with the content.
You honestly think someone who didn't make it a few hours in a game is going to watch a 40 minute artistic critique of a zombie game. Ya'll wild. Ya damn right I'm going to ask who this critique is for. The vast majority aren't going to watch that, give me a break.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I like the idea of this flood of angry posters telling people to stop liking this game or that no one should when no one has done that and there are just two people posting 80x more than anyone else desperately explaining how the video is wrong, throwing out as many whataboutisms and deflections as possible. Attempting to do what I don't know.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
As always they do a great job of providing humor and great analysis of the game, its mechanics, and design decisions that other reviewers might ignore completely. The game has always seemed aggressively mediocre to me, but that's just my armchair opinion having not played it.

I'm glad Bend is pivoting to another IP.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like the idea of this flood of angry posters telling people to stop liking this game or that no one should when no one has done that and there are just two people posting 80x more than anyone else desperately explaining how the video is wrong, throwing out as many whataboutisms and deflections as possible. Attempting to do what I don't know.
Explain all these whataboutisms and deflections here.

That's a new one after the "they are Sony fanboys!" accusations.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
MC just randomly fucking screaming at the top of his lungs in response to the radio ads and sometimes in gameplay is honestly the funniest shit in a long time game wise so I dig it

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have trouble understanding how anyone could like mario odyssey and I could fill a video with reasons why I think it's terrible, but I don't accuse people who like it of being somehow fake/shills/astroturfed. Just accept not everyone agrees with you. It's part of growing up.
Not even sure how to respond to this, especially the unnecessary (and ironic) attack at the end. I never said anything about people who like Days Gone.

Why? Surely you of all people can appreciate liking otherwise poorly rated games?

Keep in mind Days Gone is actually rated a fair amount higher than Crackdown 3 (60/54 to 71/76).
There is a difference between liking something and saying it is good.

I liked Crackdown 3. Would I say it is good or recommend it to anyone? No.

Damn got him with the .50 cal sniper
Not really the gotcha you think it is.

Oct 25, 2017
I just genuinely watched a 40 minute critique of this video and gave my thoughts on it. You serious?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not even sure how to respond to this, especially the unnecessary (and ironic) attack at the end. I never said anything about people who like Days Gone.

There is a difference between liking something and saying it is good.

I liked Crackdown 3. Would I say it is good or recommend it to anyone? No.

Ok, but if Crackdown 3 and RE2 are the only games you liked enough to complete that year, you either played barely any games, or dislike most games that you play, so either way you probably shouldn't be insulting people or insinuating they're astroturfers because of outlier/non-typical preferences.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
You honestly think someone who didn't make it a few hours in a game is going to watch a 40 minute artistic critique of a zombie game. Ya'll wild. Ya damn right I'm going to ask who this critique is for. The vast majority aren't going to watch that, give me a break.
Eh I think you gotta let this particular argument go. Some felt the Girlfriend Reviews 'takedown' was unfairly focused on minor quibbles, so here's a much longer critique of the game being offered that goes into far more detail on how the reviewer felt it didn't gel together. Perhaps calling it another 'takedown' is stoking the flames a bit (I guess that's how I would describe say, Jim Sterling's review of TLOU2 and posting it in a review thread as such would probably get me uh, some feedback).

I've seen that review before and while I find that guy somewhat ponderous as well, it's perfectly fine for it to be included in a thread that exists solely because of a harsh review.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I think you gotta let this particular argument go. Some felt the Girlfriend Reviews 'takedown' was unfairly focused on minor quibbles, so here's a much longer critique of the game being offered that goes into far more detail on how the reviewer felt it didn't gel together. Perhaps calling it another 'takedown' is stoking the flames a bit (I guess that's how I would describe say, Jim Sterling's review of TLOU2 and posting it in a review thread would probably get me uh, some feedback).

I've seen that review before and while I find that guy somewhat ponderous as well, it's perfectly fine for it to be included in a thread that exists solely because of a harsh review.
I gave my detailed view of the video they posted. It has some solid points, but overall, I don't think it is that different than what GR said.
Yep, it certainly encapsulated the tone for the thread off the starting blocks.
Yet, you had no issue highlighting me as a hot take based on time posted/time reacted compared to the OP and their reaction. I guess that is cool.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
I gave my detailed view of the video they posted. It has some solid points, but overall, I don't think it is that different than what GR said.

Yet, you had no issue highlighting me as a hot take based on time posted/time reacted compared to the OP and their reaction. I guess that is cool.
I know, but I'm referring to you continually asking "who is it for?". I don't see the point in trying to assign ulterior motives when someone just links to another review in a review thread. I don't find it particularly compelling either, but it is more substantial than the GR.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Days Gone myself. Would give it a 9, and can't remember experiencing any bugs either.

On the particular point of bugs, I did experience a few glitches occasionally, and there's a bit of jank in some areas of the game (particularly melee combat) where it doesn't always move so great, but for the most part it never struck me as a game that was very buggy or glitchy in my 60 hours. I can't deny that those bugs did happen in the video since we can see them, but it does feel a bit cherry picky since I can't remember any of those things happening. Certainly wasn't frequent

Oct 25, 2017
I know, but I'm referring to you continually asking "who is it for?". I don't see the point in trying to assign ulterior motives when someone just links to another review in a review thread. I don't find it particularly compelling either, but it is more substantial than the GR.
Yep. I thought I acknowledged that, it was poor form, I wasn't engaging Eden at all. Again if it wasn't clear, my apologies to Eden and any one else by that back and forth, it wasn't acknowledging their criticism through the posting of another video. It took me time to watch it and comment. Please go back to the original back and forth, I ultimately watched the entire 40 minute video and provided my thoughts.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Yep. I thought I acknowledged that, it was poor form, I wasn't engaging Eden at all. Again if it wasn't clear, my apologies to Eden and any one else by that back and forth, it wasn't acknowledging their criticism through the posting of another video. It took me time to watch it and comment. Please go back to the original back and forth, I ultimately watched the entire 40 minute video and provided my thoughts.
👍

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Probably the worst video I've seen from that (normally lovely) channel and it doesn't matter that I disagree with their opinion.

Channel turns more and more into a homeless person's videogamedunkey.

Oct 25, 2017
OP could have watched it first before posting. Are you saying that you did?
I could have watched it too, I'm subscribed to their channel. Did you ask them if they watched it before putting me on blast, odd again, how you didn't call them out for a reactionary reply, what was it again? T minus?

Jumping into a 20 page thread on a 1st reply for what again?

xKirbz

Apr 12, 2018
I feel bad for the devs. The gameplay is pretty decent and the fully upgraded motorcycle was fun to ride. On the other hand, the story just felt uninteresting to me. Also, the bad guys were all goofy and I just wanted the game to be over halfway through.

Oct 25, 2017
Dad, is that you? Do you want to know who first dealt the fart or who first smelt the fart?

I cannot, I refuse to believe that you rolled into a 20 page thread put me on blast for watching or not watching a video when the OP gave a reactionary reply in spoilers minutes after it dropped live, in the OP. This is what we are going to discuss. Sorry dad, I cannot remember if I dealt the fart or smelt it. Please grill the OP too.

Wild thread.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dad, is that you? Do you want to know who first dealt the fart or who first smelt the fart?

I cannot, I refuse to believe that you rolled into a 20 page thread put me on blast for watching or not watching a video when the OP gave a reactionary reply in spoilers minutes after it dropped live, in the OP. This is what we are going to discuss. Sorry dad, I cannot remember if I dealt the fart or smelt it. Please grill the OP too.
"Daaaad…but he did it first!"

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game seems fine. Played it for a couple hours and got distracted by other games but what I played of it wasn't bad by any means.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is the game that woke me up to the strong Sony bias on this forum. It's one of the most joyless things I've ever tried to play and I only picked it up because it was receiving high praise here on Era. Got roughly halfway through it and just couldn't take it anymore, had to drop it. Just wish I'd done so sooner so I could have gotten a refund.

It's kind of natural to have a Sony bias, of course. They're currently one of the biggest names in gaming and the average quality of their games is pretty darn up there. It's just something to be aware of here on these forums.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game made me believe that ERA is full of astroturfers.
A parsing I did of the first two pages with message counter.

Univocally positive
3, 4, 8, 10, 12, 18, 19, 25, 27, 31, 34, 38, 43, 47, 49, 79, 83, 88

Tempered (admiting flaws/qualities and opinions on it).
6, 9, 13, 14, 15, 17, 20, 22, 28, 30, 32, 39, 40, 41, 48, 50, 51, 56, 66, 71, 73, 74, 76, 81, 86, 87, 97, 100

Univocally negative
2, 5, 7, 11, 16, 21, 23, 24, 26, 29, 35, 36, 52, 55, 59, 61, 63, 64, 65, 69, 77, 80, 84, 89, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 99

Also the paradox is that negative opinion tend to fuel more response and attention.
Like on YouTube, giving a negative feedback still raise counters of visibility.
The same on Reddit, there is even a dedicated category for "divisive" debate.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is the game that woke me up to the strong Sony bias on this forum. It's one of the most joyless things I've ever tried to play and I only picked it up because it was receiving high praise here on Era. Got roughly halfway through it and just couldn't take it anymore, had to drop it. Just wish I'd done so sooner so I could have gotten a refund.

It's kind of natural to have a Sony bias, of course. They're currently one of the biggest names in gaming and the average quality of their games is pretty darn up there. It's just something to be aware of here on these forums.
I don't think thats what a bias is. People liked the game. There's no sinister Sony agenda here. Especially considering the existence of Detroit and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Platform warring.
I don't think thats what a bias is. People liked the game. There's no sinister Sony agenda here. Especially considering the existence of Detroit and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale
I don't think it's a conscious thing, but I very much think the Days Gone defense force would be much smaller if the game had not been under Sony's umbrella. That's what I mean by bias.

You're free to disagree, of course.

Oct 25, 2017

I honestly don't get the "strong sony bias" vibe. Personally I think MS is killing it right now, Gamepass is the 'unanswerable' question that Sony is going to have to find a solution to. Individuals seem to be finding more 'value' out of their XSX/XSS than PS5, maybe its the threads I have been reading. Regardless, I don't see a forum bias at all.

On point, I don't think this game has received 'high praise' here, to be quite frank I think it has received consistent negativity. With that being said, I think it is completely fair. I bet the majority of players are framing their perspective of the game on the initial release. It was broken, to put it midly.

The game has undergone a great deal of polish since release and since the release of the PS5 and PC port, with that being said it is still problematic in manner areas especially for a first party PS game.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Thank you for holding up the mirror to us who like the game and showing us our wayward fanboy ways!

Now if only I could get as much joy from playing Spiderman MM as I did from DG to justify your accusations. I'm gonna work on it and make you proud, accurate community observer. Promise!

Oct 27, 2017

"Sony bias"

When most people in the Playstation studios thread were celebrating Bend isn't doing a sequel and trashing the game.

Some of you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
State of Decay and Dying Light says hello
I love how we are imaging that these games are at all similar.

I don't remember riding and upgrading a bike in them, nor having ai clash and lead to dynamic fights, not having a GTA style story.

Status
Not open for further replies.