Status
Not open for further replies.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
This is the game that woke me up to the strong Sony bias on this forum. It's one of the most joyless things I've ever tried to play and I only picked it up because it was receiving high praise here on Era. Got roughly halfway through it and just couldn't take it anymore, had to drop it. Just wish I'd done so sooner so I could have gotten a refund.

It's kind of natural to have a Sony bias, of course. They're currently one of the biggest names in gaming and the average quality of their games is pretty darn up there. It's just something to be aware of here on these forums.

"Oops, someone liked a game I didn't! They must be biased then!"

By this logic anyone can call this forum Nintendo, PC and Xbox biased as well.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for holding up the mirror to us who like the game and showing us our wayward fanboy ways!

Now if only I could get as much joy from playing Spiderman MM as I did from DG to justify your accusstions. I'm gonna work on it and make you proud, accurate community observer. Promise!
Weird to have such a chip on your shoulder about this, and none of this is in any way what I'm saying. I'm not saying every poster on Era is a blind Sony fanboy, I'm not saying that people who like Days Gone are lying, and I'm certainly not saying that anyone who likes Days Gone must also like every Sony exclusive because they're obviously blind shills. I just think that, on average, there are plenty of people on this forum who have a softer spot for Sony titles and might be more lenient on them, unconsciously or not. I also think this is perfectly natural because Sony is trouncing the vast majority of the competition and consistently has quality titles. Most people who own a console on here probably own a PlayStation. They've done a lot to generate goodwill.

If this suggestion was unclear or upsets you regardless, I do apologize.

"Sony bias"

When most people in the Playstation studios thread were celebrating Bend isn't doing a sequel and trashing the game.

Some of you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
See above.
"Oops, someone liked a game I didn't! They must be biased then!"

By this logic anyone can call this forum Nintendo, PC and Xbox biased as well.
You too. There's really no need to get upset about this.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The game is f'n fantastic, loved the feeling and atmosphere so much.
Not even giving them views if it's that harsh and unfair.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I don't know if the game is bad in its current state, it seems to be alright, but it's easily one of the least inspired first party PS4 games. Down there with Killzone Shadow Fall and Infamous Second Son.

Even boring ass The Order was more inspired. The Knacks were more inspired.

Oct 27, 2017
Weird to have such a chip on your shoulder about this, and none of this is in any way what I'm saying. I'm not saying every poster on Era is a blind Sony fanboy, I'm not saying that people who like Days Gone are lying, and I'm certainly not saying that anyone who likes Days Gone must also like every Sony exclusive because they're obviously blind shills. I just think that, on average, there are plenty of people on this forum who have a softer spot for Sony titles and might be more lenient on them, unconsciously or not. I also think this is perfectly natural because Sony is trouncing the vast majority of the competition and consistently has quality titles. Most people who own a console on here probably own a PlayStation. They've done a lot to generate goodwill.

See above.

Except I am telling you this is bullshit. The game did enough for a lot of people to love it. It has a lot of unique mechanics and is really well done in places. People love it because of that.

I could care less Sony made it. Horizon was really boring and that's a game many sony fans love. So was Last
Of us 1 and Uncharted 4. I dislike their games too.

This conspiracy shit you are trying to spread is ridiculous.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Except I am telling you this is bullshit. Thr game did enough for a lot of people to love it. It has a lot of uniqie mechanics and is really well done in places.

I could care less Sony made it. Horizon was really boring and that's a game many sony fans love. So was Last
Of us 1 and Uncharted 4. I dislike their games too.

This conspiracy shit you are trying to spread is ridiculous.
Calling it a conspiracy theory at all makes it pretty clear you've missed what I'm saying entirely. I don't think anyone is conspiring in favor of Sony, but I do think a really mediocre game by Sony will get a warmer reception than a mediocre game made by most other creators (perhaps barring Nintendo) on this forum. I don't think that's a very outlandish idea, but I'm sorry it seems to have upset you.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

See above.

I'm only offended by the laziness of your "must be <insert company name> fanboys" argument.

Nah man, I just really like the game for various reasons which people have explained in abundance already in many threads about the game. So much, in fact, that I'm now a couple of hours into a second playthrough on the hardest difficulty when actually I should play more Spiderman MM instead; but I keep falling off that game and after a couple of missions I'm bored.

Similarly, I fell off many other Sony exclusive games. The last R&C on PS4? Tried to like it, stopped playing halfway through which is unusual for me since I finish game almost OCD-like. I don't think the UC games are masterpieces either, for example. I started playing UC2 and never finished it.

Moreoever, I do my videogaming across all available platforms; mostly on PC these days. It's just exhausting when you actually try to explain in detail why you like a certain game (+rectify a few commonly uttered misconceptions about the game by people who never played it) only to have it all ignored and instead be confronted with random "fanboy! game is trash" drive-by posts.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Calling it a conspiracy theory at all makes it pretty clear you've missed what I'm saying entirely. I don't think anyone is conspiring in favor of Sony, but I do think a really mediocre game by Sony will get a warmer reception than a mediocre game made by most other creators (perhaps barring Nintendo) on this forum. I don't think that's a very outlandish idea, but I'm sorry it seems to have upset you.
Uh no, I didn't miss your point. I just don't agree.

You keep saying people are being too kind to it because Sony published it and this has been proven countless times before that this is bullshit. Just look into any thread about the game where you see many "Sony fanboys" according to their post history trashing the game.

That you can't believe that people would legit love the game because it is a very unique game in it's genre and have to go full into the "fanboys love it because SONY!!!!" narrative is your opinion but it doesn't make it true.

If Sony bias was on display here then you would have far more "defenders" yet the people you are saying are defending it are actually trashing it.

Embedded

Oct 27, 2017
I played the game and found it really fun and enjoyable. It had it's problems, technical and with the pacing of the story but it also had unique moments which i haven't seen in other games.

I remember the feeling early in the game when i had to explore and go scavenging. The feeling when entering a small town for the first time not knowing if there is a nest nearby.
Riding the bike was also really fun and the fact that i had to watch my fuel meter and release the gas when going downhill while being chased by tens of zombies added to the tension.

Good game overall.
Everyone is free to have an opinion. I don't see why a youtubers is more important and sparks these kinds of threads.

Also, sorry but it's the kind of game that you have to play in order to understand the feeling. I see people here saying that they watched it yet they have pretty strong opinions.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dude you're the one who came into a thread and helped shit it up by implying people who liked the game the thread was about aren't being totally genuine now you're acting like no one got the point you were making and you're somehow the rational one here. Growww up

Oct 25, 2017
This has been a continually recurring narrative. "I'm not saying that ERA as a whole is a forum that are shills or grades on a curve" but there is good amount that do just that.

I honestly want you to read that post, then read the perceived Sony fans, who have continually engaged this thread and said the review is rather spot on. The game is still flawed, it launched in a near broken state from what I gather. That is the recurring narrative.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people have not really watch GF reviews yet and don't understand that most of their videos are about backseat gaming reviews of her boyfriend playing the games .
I played the game and found it really fun and enjoyable. It had it's problems, technical and with the pacing of the story but it also had unique moments which i haven't seen in other games.

I remember the feeling early in the game when i had to explore and go scavenging. The feeling when entering a small town for the first time not knowing if there is a nest nearby.
Riding the bike was also really fun and the fact that i had to watch my fuel meter and release the gas when going downhill while being chased by tens of zombies added to the tension.

Good game overall.
Everyone is free to have an opinion. I don't see why a youtubers is more important and sparks these kinds of threads.

Also, sorry but it's the kind of game that you have to play in order to understand the feeling. I see people here saying that they watched it yet they have pretty strong opinions.

Do you watch the video? Girlfriend review is a backseat gamer who watches her boyfriend plays the game. Most of her reviews are from her perspective as someone who watch and not the one playing.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uh no, I didn't miss your point. I just don't agree.

You keep saying people are being too kind to it because Sony published it and this has been proven countless times before that this is bullshit. Just look into any thread about the game where you see many "Sony fanboys" according to their post history trashing the game.

That you can't believe that people would legit love the game because it is a very unique game in it's genre and have to go full into the "fanboys love it because SONY!!!!" narrative is your opinion but it doesn't make it true.

If Sony bias was on display here then you would have far more "defenders" yet the people you are saying are defending it are actually trashing it.
Again, I feel I made it pretty clear that I don't think people who love Days Gone are lying about it and do in fact genuinely love Days Gone. The fact that you feel the need to characterize this as me calling people fanboys distresses me, because this is not how I feel and it's the exact opposite of what I've said. This is why it seems like you're missing my point to me. There are certainly plenty of people who feel negatively about the game here, but there's also a disproportionate amount of people who seem to like it enough to defend it compared to other places I frequent. I think this is because, in general, this is a Sony-leaning forum, which I don't in particular find anything wrong with. I can agree to disagree, though.
Dude you're the one who came into a thread and helped shit it up by implying people who liked the game the thread was about aren't being totally genuine now you're acting like no one got the point you were making and you're somehow the rational one here. Growww up
I said nothing of the sort. I don't think anyone is faking liking Days Gone, and I clarified that in the follow-up post, even. There's really no need to insult me, and as I've said to others I'm sorry if what I've said or how I've said it has upset you.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People can like game. I myself like this game in some degree.

But it's a 6/10-7/10 game "at best"...
20+ pages is fun to read anyway, go on.

Oct 25, 2017
How is that not a conspiracy theory, I'm legit curious.

You are 100% saying Sony will get a warmer reception compared to other creators on this forum. Objectively:

I do think a really mediocre game by Sony will get a warmer reception than a mediocre game made by most other creators (perhaps barring Nintendo) on this forum...

Its fucking Days Gone. Listen, please, for fucks sake. The overwhelming majority are saying it is a flawed game, it isn't remotely up to Sony standards. It doesn't mean it's dog shit, the majority of posters are saying it is right at average, maybe above/below.

The game was colossally shitted on, as this review points out, no? Shall we burn people at the stake for saying, you know what, we enjoyed the game, it was flawed, but still a good game?

No, we are going to construct a "bias" on Era regarding Sony games. So biased, the best you can muster is "hey, this game isn't as bad as you all are making it out to be". Wild.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Again, I feel I made it pretty clear that I don't think people who love Days Gone are lying about it and do in fact genuinely love Days Gone. The fact that you feel the need to characterize this as me calling people fanboys distresses me, because this is not how I feel and it's the exact opposite of what I've said. This is why it seems like you're missing my point to me. There are certainly plenty of people who feel negatively about the game here, but there's also a disproportionate amount of people who seem to like it enough to defend it compared to other places I frequent. I think this is because, in general, this is a Sony-leaning forum, which I don't in particular find anything wrong with. I can agree to disagree, though.
That's how your post comes to me. Go back and read them back because you clearly did imply heavily that people are biased and "don't know it".

That aside, this narrative of this forum being a "Sony leaning" forum doesn't hold water anymore now that Microsoft and Nintendo are stronger than they ever were. There are plenty of people calling Sony out. and there is more balance

xKirbz

Apr 12, 2018
If you like Days Gone, then I have to question your gaming history and the amount of games you have played. Sorry, not sorry. Girlfriend review is dead on accurate about the game.

Embedded

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of people have not really watch GF reviews yet and don't understand that most of their videos are about backseat gaming reviews of her boyfriend playing the games .

Do you watch the video? Girlfriend review is a backseat gamer who watches her boyfriend plays the game. Most of her reviews are from her perspective as someone who watch and not the one playing l.

No, sorry i have not watched the video and to be honest i don't tend to watch these kind of videos.
You might be right, if they judge the game from the point of viewer and not player then maybe the game is not that interesting.
From my own experience though, my SO liked watching me play it until the hordes came in to play where she freaked out and told me to close the game because it made her anxious.
My best friend had a similar experience with his SO.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How is that not a conspiracy theory, I'm legit curious.

You are 100% saying Sony will get a warmer reception compared to other creators on this forum.
A conspiracy would imply that there were people actively working to further some kind of agenda. I just think Era is full of Sony fans when compared to other general gaming populations and Sony games will, as a natural result, get better reception here. This is the audience. To give an extreme example for a franchise I really like, if I went to a forum that was dedicated to the Final Fantasy series, I might expect people there to really like Final Fantasy more than the general population and so I might take glowing reviews there with a touch more skepticism than in a general gaming forum. To clarify, since I seem to be bad at clearly communicating my points: I don't think Era is in any way near to a dedicated Sony fan site, I just think it has a slightly greater than average ratio of Sony fans in its specific ecosystem, and so may be an audience that will receive Sony games with marginally more enthusiasm. I'll reiterate that I don't think this is an outlandish claim. I certainly don't mean any harm with it, and I'd never try to take anything away from someone who likes it.
That's how your post comes to me. Go back and read them back because you clearly did imply heavily that people are biased and "don't know it".

That aside, this narrative of this forum being a "Sony leaning" forum doesn't hold water anymore now that Microsoft and Nintendo are stronger than they ever were. There are plenty of people calling Sony out. and there is more balance
I'm sorry if it came off that way, that's not my intended message.

I fundamentally disagree with you on the forum being Sony leaning, but I think we can both agree to leave it at that. It's really an inconsequential thing and I'm okay with someone having a different opinion.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is the game that woke me up to the strong Sony bias on this forum. It's one of the most joyless things I've ever tried to play and I only picked it up because it was receiving high praise here on Era. Got roughly halfway through it and just couldn't take it anymore, had to drop it. Just wish I'd done so sooner so I could have gotten a refund.

It's kind of natural to have a Sony bias, of course. They're currently one of the biggest names in gaming and the average quality of their games is pretty darn up there. It's just something to be aware of here on these forums.
you discovering the fanboy conspiracy on era; implying many don't notice and are asleep
you shitting on the game a couple of times and going the extra mile with it
you arguing that "Sony bias" is a natural ... condition? Is there scientific research that I'm not familiar with?
you are now awake and can see clearly. Spread the gospel!

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Yawn, the hate boner for that game was already legendary on Era since they first revealed it and lasted, well to this day. How can you even pretend this game is an argument for the "humongous" Sony bias on here.

I really enjoyed the game, yes it has its flaws, but gameplay was stellar, the map wasn't flooded with shit on every square inch like so many open world games, the places didn't feel repetitive like in so many other open world games and the forest, rivers etc. looked damn gorgeous.

The hordes brought a new fun and exhilarating gameplay twist to the table after many gameplay hours.

DG2 could've been such an awesome game ;(

Last edited:

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you like Days Gone, then I have to question your gaming history and the amount of games you have played. Sorry, not sorry. Girlfriend review is dead on accurate about the game.
Guess I'll have to review my 30+ years of gaming as a hobby. Thanks. I'll do some introspection now. Was Monkey Island ever truly great or was I just a LucasArts fanboy? (this may take a while ...)

Oct 25, 2017
A conspiracy would imply that there were people actively working to further some kind of agenda. I just think Era is full of Sony fans when compared to other general gaming populations and Sony games will, as a natural result, get better reception here. This is the audience. To give an extreme example for a franchise I really like, if I went to a forum that was dedicated to the Final Fantasy series, I might expect people there to really like Final Fantasy more than the general population and so I might take glowing reviews there with a touch more skepticism than in a general gaming forum. To clarify, since I seem to be bad at clearly communicating my points: I don't think Era is in any way near to a dedicated Sony fan site, I just think it has a slightly greater than average ratio of Sony fans in its specific ecosystem, and so may be an audience that will receive Sony games with marginally more enthusiasm. I'll reiterate that I don't think this is an outlandish claim. I certainly don't mean any harm with it, and I'd never try to take anything away from someone who likes it.

Are we reading the same thread? This is a dumpster fire, a reviewer who I and most admire pointing out the flaws in the game, and individuals saying yah that's about right. The game is flawed, etc.

Sony board confirmed. We serious in here? Am I drunk, is this weekend era?

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I really don't understand how people don't think this board is Sony leaning???
I mean it's to be expected. The ps4 smoked xbox last gen.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Days Gone is the closest any video game has ever come to capturing "White Culture", and why it is so painfully uninteresting.

Bikes, Booze, tattoos, and skull rings you can get at the county fair. And if you think BOOZEMAN and DEEK ain't droppin N bombs on the reg off camera I have an airbrushed Motely Crue bandana to sell you.
lmao, this thread is gold.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Days gone takes too long to get going. The best parts of the game are when you've got your bike sufficiently upgraded. The weapon balance also sucks. Too many ineffective guns later on. A small handful soar above the rest. Sadly, some of them soar so much that they trivialize a lot of the hordes.

Didn't have an issue with the narrative beyond a few blemishes in voicework/audio mixing (notably St. John's half-muttered, supposedly inspiring speeches near the end of the game).

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
you discovering the fanboy conspiracy on era; implying many don't notice and are asleep
you shitting on the game a couple of times and going the extra mile with it
you arguing that "Sony bias" is a natural ... condition? Is there scientific research that I'm not familiar with?
you are now awake and can see clearly. Spread the gospel!
Sorry, color coding doesn't really work for me because I'm colorblind. Could you do a hostile misrepresentation of my intent in a more accessible way?

In all seriousness though if you don't do that I'm cool with it.
Are we reading the same thread? This is a dumpster fire, a reviewer who I and most admire pointing out the flaws in the game, and individuals saying yah that's about right. The game is flawed, etc.

Sony board confirmed. We serious in here? Am I drunk, is this weekend era?
This is an overtly negative review thread, sure, and I'll readily admit there's plenty of voices that seem to dislike Days Gone. There's lots of voices that like it in here, and lots that dislike it and like it elsewhere, too, but that's neither here nor there. I picked up the game because of a glowingly positive thread done some months back that implored Era to give the game a second chance, and I saw a lot of people going "Heck yeah OP! Game rules!" I perceived a more positive general vibe in favor of Days Gone on this forum than elsewhere, and Era having not steered me wrong before I dove in. Maybe that's not your experience, and you don't agree with me? That's okay. Both of our examples are anecdotal and up to personal interpretation. I feel like I see this Sony leaning expressed throughout the board in general, and I do like to discuss it in terms as measured as I can. You don't see the same leaning and you disagree with me, and I find that perfectly valid. I continue to disagree, though.

I also took great pains to point out that I don't believe Era is by any stretch of the imagination a "Sony board" so I don't know where you're getting that from. I don't feel that way at all.

Oct 25, 2017
This is an overtly negative review thread, sure, and I'll readily admit there's plenty of voices that seem to dislike Days Gone. There's lots of voices that like it in here, and lots that dislike it and like it elsewhere, too, but that's neither here nor there. I picked up the game because of a glowingly positive thread done some months back that implored Era to give the game a second chance, and I saw a lot of people going "Heck yeah OP! Game rules!" I perceived a more positive general vibe in favor of Days Gone on this forum than elsewhere, and Era having not steered me wrong before I dove in. Maybe that's not your experience, and you don't agree with me? That's okay. Both of our examples are anecdotal and up to personal interpretation. I feel like I see this Sony leaning expressed throughout the board in general, and I do like to discuss it in terms as measured as I can. You don't see the same leaning and you disagree with me, and I find that perfectly valid. I continue to disagree, though.

I also took great pains to point out that I don't believe Era is by any stretch of the imagination a "Sony board" so I don't know where you're getting that from. I don't feel that way at all.
Link me the thread, I'm generally curious.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I think this video is the most worked-up anybody has ever been about Days Gone, good or bad. It really isn't a game that deserves any kind of extreme reaction IMO.

I played it on PS5, and I thought it was a good time.

It's only extreme if you view it as such.

Seriously, am I the only one in here who thinks this is just merely 2 people having a bit of a fun time in criticizing the game? That despite they disliking it it is not that serious and just a tongue-in-cheek thing?

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Link me the thread, I'm generally curious.
I don't remember the specific thread off of the top of my head, and looking at the search results there are a lot of positive threads because the PC port was apparently handled quite well. I know it was a while ago that I saw the thread, so if you're really curious you could do some digging. I don't know how helpful you'll find it, though.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Oh... that was actually a really obnoxious video. Love their stuff. Haven't always agreed with them. However, this video was just awful. I'm sure they will do better the next time out.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
It's only extreme if you view it as such.

Seriously, am I the only one in here who thinks this is just merely 2 people having a bit of a fun time in criticizing the game? That despite they disliking it it is not that serious and just a tongue-in-cheek thing?

I've yet to watch the video, but judging from this channel's past reviews, I'd say you'd be right, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember the specific thread off of the top of my head, and looking at the search results there are a lot of positive threads because the PC port was apparently handled quite well. I know it was a while ago that I saw the thread, so if you're really curious you could do some digging. I don't know how helpful you'll find it, though.
It's all good, honestly. I just doubt there are many extremely positive threads about Days Gone on Era or anywhere for that matter. The PC port was well delivered mainly from a technical perspective. As a whole the game has consistently been met with average below/above acceptance. Best.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
"murders"

This website is so embarrassing sometimes.

Next, we'll have threads about 3 or 4 not-so-nice tweets titled "Twitter SLAMS Microsoft for buying Zenimax"...

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Days Gone is the closest any video game has ever come to capturing "White Culture", and why it is so painfully uninteresting.

Bikes, Booze, tattoos, and skull rings you can get at the county fair. And if you think BOOZEMAN and DEEK ain't droppin N bombs on the reg off camera I have an airbrushed Motely Crue bandana to sell you.

Lmao, thats the same feeling i get but I'm too scared to point it out when I criticize the game

Oct 27, 2017

Haha, wat.

You guys.

I adore Days Gone, genuinely and unreservedly. I love it so much it makes me a little sad that others didn't have the same experience I did with it. Maybe this is what it's like to be fervently religious and you just want to convert everyone so they feel the same level of joy you do.

I mean it absolutely has some glaring flaws, but maybe that's what makes my love of the game even more meaningful; paraphrasing from somewhere here but it's easy to love something 'because' but to love something 'despite'? That's the real deal.

Mind you, I only started playing games in May 2019 👀

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017

I don't even think it's a bad game, and I still agree with literally everything said here lmao...

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
This was super cathartic to watch. I really don't understand why people defend this game so vehemently.

It's just so aggressively bland in all aspects. I wouldn't use any part of it as an example for other games to follow.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
"murders"

This website is so embarrassing sometimes.

Next, we'll have threads about 3 or 4 not-so-nice tweets titled "Twitter SLAMS Microsoft for buying Zenimax"...

They are just referencing the video... which was, itself, fairly embarrassing. So you aren't wrong, but there is some context you are missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.