molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And they need distinction, so yes you are wrong. Of course people are going to discuss something raised in a thread...

But sure, take that dishonest approach and run with it if you need to. <3
It's not a dishonest approach. It's a fully honest one from someone who just wanted to read about the latest Girlfriend Reviews.

I disagree that they need distinction. I also disagree that those who are that upset about it even need to participate in the thread. Focus your attention on something that doesn't make you so upset.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Ah, okay.

I knew her boyfriend was writing, but I didn't know she had confirmed she was a performer/actor.

I mean I doubt he'd go so far as to write his opinions into her voice, just spice it up with the current memes and video game discourse. Honestly the big reason I don't watch much anymore is because I have this spider-sense like dread that the algorithm will fuck up my recommendations with video game shitheels based on a few of the jokes I've seen in the series. Gotta keep a lid on that shit.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a dishonest approach. It's a fully honest one from someone who just wanted to read about the latest Girlfriend Reviews.

I disagree that they need distinction. I also disagree that those who are that upset about it even need to participate in the thread. Focus your attention on something that doesn't make you so upset.
They obviously need distinction became they're different things, and people are literally whining about those condemning the channel when those people are such a tiny minority.

If you cannot fathom why this is when it's this simple... I likely won't be able to convince you.

This thread is a relevant place to talk about the channel, that includes ALL aspects of their content.

OP
OP
Kitten Mittens

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Ah, okay.

I knew her boyfriend was writing, but I didn't know she had confirmed she was a performer/actor.
One of their videos was called something like, "Who is Girlfriend Reviews?". In it they explain the process. She may not be writing the script, but the words and ideas she expresses on their livestreams are what shape the script he writes. She also improvises.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Bad things always deserve to be called out as bad. I view it as just as much an open part of the discussion as talking about the jokes they make. That having been said, I haven't seen anything so out and out bad as, say, a PDP, JonTron, or ProJared so I think it's fine. I really liked their Let's Go review and the song at the end was cute.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They also made a "video games appeal to the male fantasy" joke a while back.

One of those?

q4USXnS.jpg

Doesn't seem that horrible to me

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They obviously need distinction became they're different things, and people are literally whining about those condemning the channel when those people are such a tiny majority.

If you cannot fathom why this is when it's this simple... I likely won't be able to convince you.
People are whining because the "tiny minority" condemning the channel start a chain of replies and confrontations every time they do it, and they know exactly that it's going to happen every time. They're essentially trolling. That's why it doesn't matter if you choose to narrowly define a "tiny minority" by a set of specific criteria. The end result is a thread clogged up with junk.

...and no, you're not going to convince me otherwise. My opinion here comes from the hundreds of Era threads that I've seen go this route. I've already seen your arguments in many of them.

Oct 27, 2017
One of those?

q4USXnS.jpg

It's just a shitty strawman and not really funny. "Games appeal to the male fantasy? Of course not, just look at this cute 3ds puppy game! Checkmate sjwqs!"

All the while ignoring that a large chunk of the gaming industry is actually dedicated to appealing to the male fantasy. Cool buff white protagonists and all.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's just a shitty strawman and not really funny. "Games appeal to the male fantasy? Of course not, just look at this cute 3ds puppy game! Checkmate sjwqs!"

All the while ignoring that a large chunk of the gaming industry is actually dedicated to appealing to the male fantasy. Cool buff white protagonists and all.
I see it more as a joke because it plays with expectations, not as some counterargument

astro

Oct 25, 2017
People are whining because the "tiny minority" condemning the channel start a chain of replies and confrontations every time they do it, and they know exactly that it's going to happen every time. They're essentially trolling. That's why it doesn't matter if you choose to narrowly define a "tiny minority" by a set of specific criteria. The end result is a thread clogged up with junk.

...and no, you're not going to convince me otherwise. My opinion here comes from the hundreds of Era threads that I've seen go this route. I've already seen your arguments in many of them.
Sorry, but this is nonsense. ^

Let's drop it.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but this is nonsense. Explained why.
You can disagree but it's not "nonsense." That's why y'all get so much confrontation, you frame your own opinions as the only reasonable ones and talk down to anyone who believes otherwise. Which is exactly what your "tiny minority" did at the start of this thread.

edit: saw your edit, fine.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You can disagree but it's not "nonsense." That's why y'all get so much confrontation, you frame your own opinions as the only reasonable ones and talk down to anyone who believes otherwise. Which is exactly what your "tiny minority" did at the start of this thread.
It is nonsense, absolutely. And this follow up post even more so.

That you believe it is pretty incredible tbh.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
One of those?

q4USXnS.jpg

The context of what the joke is is the problem. It subscribes to the idea that issues concerning misogyny, bigotry, and general representation in video games are overblown/come from people who don't know anything about games because the medium is full of goofy/cute/non-serious stuff as well, so why are you being a big ol' moral fuddy duddy criticizing games?

The woman in that gif by the way was talking about visiting a strip club in GTA and, while there certainly is room for discussion concerning the depiction of sex workers/sex work in video games/media in general and the genuinely damaging moral panic that surrounds that industry, she absolutely has a point where a large, LARGE, part of GTA's appeal is appealing to stereotypical masculinity.

The joke has become a symbol within the gaming community for people defending/ignoring genuine criticisms against the medium and for discrediting/mocking people labeled as "outsiders" to the medium, usually feminists, LGBT people, etc.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
oh hey another "(slightly popular youtuber) did something that slightly references an extremely popular youtuber who we've deemed racist, so nobody is allowed to enjoy their content anymore" thread? Count me in I love bandwagoning

astro

Oct 25, 2017
One of those?

q4USXnS.jpg

The joke itself isn't necessarily horrible, but it does dismiss Anita's points... and we all know just how toxic the rabid GG types are that like to dismiss her points, and this helps feed into that.

This isn't hard to understand, neither is people's tolerance being so low that they can't support channels that do feed into these things.

There are plenty of channels who do not.

Another thread poisoned by this war on nothing. I'm sick of this.
Then leave.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I really like GR but I've kinda come to think that the initial reviews felt a lot more like they were from her perspective than the later ones. This is to say nothing about their authenticity or me complaining about her DECEIVING ME or whatever, but instead that I feel like the perspective has clearly shifted into actually highlighting his voice more than hers. Sometimes literally.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think I'm done following the GF Reviews threads here and I'll just continue watching the videos every now and then since it seems to be of paramount importance for some users here that we know, at all times, without a shadow of a doubt, about how much they don't like a thing.

efr

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
I've never enjoyed their videos and the whole "cool girlfriend watches boyfriend play video games" shtick, and the "me. boyfriend." edits are painfully unfunny.
But I'm surprised people here still follow them after having been associated with some shitty YouTube personalities.
Care to link the type of Youtube videos you enjoy? Curious to know what you do find funny.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
oh hey another "(slightly popular youtuber) did something that slightly references an extremely popular youtuber who we've deemed racist, so nobody is allowed to enjoy their content anymore" thread? Count me in I love bandwagoning

To be clear I'm criticizing what I believe to be shitty jokes, I haven't seen anything bad enough to recommend people completely drop them like PDP, JonTron, or ProJared. They still put out entertaining content from what I've seen, I just have had issues with the algorithm fucking with my recommendations so I don't watch them as much anymore.

But also someone like PDP has definitely said/done racist things, received support from racists, and associates with racists, so I don't think it's a "bandwagoning" thing to call a duck a duck.

efr

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Shitposting is posting large amounts of content of "aggressively, ironically, and trollishly poor quality"[1] to an online forum or social network,[2][3][4][5] in some cases intended to derail discussions or otherwise make the site unusable to its regular visitors.
Nah, I don't have anything to prove.
Love having discussions on a forum with critics of everything who don't "have anything to prove" but enter threads specifically to shit on the topic everytime.
Solid.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, okay.

Yea, I think saying the boyfriend is writing needs context.

It's not the boyfriend writing his opinions for her to read and perform. Editorially, she's conveying to him what she feels while watching him play, then he takes those thoughts and punches out a script for her to read because that is what he does well.

The "fake" controversy from the start of the channel was that people believed either there was no boyfriend, or that they believed some major corporation or something was making the Shelby character up and got someone to come in and read those lines or some crazy nonsense.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Who is the target of that joke? Who and what are we meant to laugh at? Does the joke agree or disagree with the premise stated in the setup?
Like I said, the joke is that it plays with expectations. You're expecting something offensive and that is supposed to be a male fantasy. It's then resolved with something completely ridiculous. Not unlike "This is what peak performance looks like"

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Who is the target of that joke? Who and what are we meant to laugh at? Does the joke agree or disagree with the premise stated in the setup?

Slight tangent, but not every joke has a "target". They can have them, certainly, both intentionally and unintentionally, but a subversion of expectations is the only real requirement for comedy. I don't understand how this recent interpretation of humor as inherently "weaponized discourse" came to prominence. Sometimes it is that, but plenty of other times it isn't.

Subject =/= target

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Why every thread about their videos is this shit show?

Can't we, who enjoy their videos, have a peaceful thread where we can talk about the video itself instead of the same discussion about their references over and over again?

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Like I said, the joke is that it plays with expectations. You're expecting something offensive and that is supposed to be a male fantasy. It's then resolved with something completely ridiculous. Not unlike "This is what peak performance looks like"

Are we expected to agree with the woman in the setup then? That video games do appeal to the male fantasy but oh psych here's a Nintendog gotcha, bet you didn't see that coming how random? Or are we meant to laugh at the woman in the setup because she's (supposed to be) wrong and the punchline drives that home?

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Slight tangent, but not every joke has a "target". They can have them, certainly, both intentionally and unintentionally, but a subversion of expectations is the only real requirement for comedy. I don't understand how this recent interpretation of humor as inherently "weaponized discourse" came to prominence. Sometimes it is that, but plenty of other times it isn't.

Subject =/= target
And yet it has the effect of it being for that audience, ie: those who dismiss Anita's concerns.

Jokes aren't told in a vacuum and have effect on the world around us.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Subject =/= target

Are you saying the person giving the line has no bearing on the joke itself? It could literally be anyone saying that line, in any context, and still be funny because the supposed expectation of the correctness of the setup is subverted by the punchline?

The perceived as well as recorded effect of a joke matters just as much as if not more than the intent of the teller. Comedy, like much of discourse, is all about who is in and who is out, who's being invited to laugh with and who's being laughed at.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair, most people probably aren't in this mindset of trying to make a political statement and own one side all the time. Sometimes a joke is just a joke and it's not meant to prove or disprove anything.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are we expected to agree with the woman in the setup then? That video games do appeal to the male fantasy but oh psych here's a Nintendog gotcha, bet you didn't see that coming how random? Or are we meant to laugh at the woman in the setup because she's (supposed to be) wrong and the punchline drives that home?
I mean, yeah, it works both ways.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta

Can't we, who enjoy their videos, have a peaceful thread where we can talk about the video itself instead of the same discussion about their references over and over again?

Unfortunately it will never end until their videos get it's own OT (so fans can discuss without "distraction") or Mods start banning people, which I not sure how they could when the dissenting opinions are focus on things said in the actual videos so it's not really off-topic or shitposting

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

To be fair what is there really to discuss in these videos? They use the same format every week and just talk about different games. Unlike someone like Jim Sterling who is talking about relevant topics, there is nothing to really talk about because they aren't giving particularly unique takes. That being said they since they didn't actually signal boost some piece of shit in this video so I don't think we necessarily need to talk about this stuff every single time.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, most people probably aren't in this mindset of trying to make a political statement and own one side all the time. Sometimes a joke is just a joke and it's not meant to prove or disprove anything.
And, as above, jokes have effect regardless of intent.

I personally think people with platform have a responsibility to understand the things they could contrinbute to with their jokes. And there are plenty of other great CCs who understand this.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
To be fair what is there really to discuss in these videos? They use the same format every week and just talk about different games. Unlike someone like Jim Sterling who is talking about relevant topics, there is nothing to really talk about because they aren't giving particularly unique takes. That being said they since they didn't actually signal boost some piece of shit in this video so I don't think we necessarily need to talk about this stuff every single time.

But if people still want to talk about it, we should be able to without having to deal with the same comments over and over and over.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I mean, yeah, it works both ways.

That's why it's a shitty joke, it wants you to laugh at a serious issue by dismissing it as incorrect, irrelevant, or insignificant by creating a disingenuous contrast with something cute, goofy, unrelated, etc. The worldview it subscribes to, one where games are immune from criticism because the people doing the criticizing somehow don't "get it," is a shitty one.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
And, as above, jokes have effect regardless of intent.

I personally think people with platform have a responsibility to understand the things they could contrinbute to with their jokes. And there are plenty of other great CCs who understand this.
I'm not telling you not to 'cancel' them or whatever, just pointing out that...not everyone is like this. Not everyone is looking to fight and make political statements with every sentence they make. If it's too much for you personally then I have no problem with you not watching them. I'm also almost positive that the Anita joke was made on a personal level in some sense, because I've been asked if that's a reason I don't play certain video games as well. She's just going to have a different perspective here because she probably gets asked different questions and such than male gamers do.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's why it's a shitty joke, it wants you to laugh at a serious issue by dismissing it as incorrect, irrelevant, or insignificant by creating a disingenuous contrast with something cute, goofy, unrelated, etc. The worldview it subscribes to, one where games are immune from criticism because the people doing the criticizing somehow don't "get it," is a shitty one.
But now you ignored the other interpretation you proposed.
That video games do appeal to the male fantasy but oh psych here's a Nintendog gotcha, bet you didn't see that coming how random?

The idea that petting dogs is a male fantasy is funny

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not telling you not to 'cancel' them or whatever, just pointing out that...not everyone is like this. Not everyone is looking to fight and make political statements with every sentence they make. If it's too much for you personally then I have no problem with you not watching them. I'm also almost positive that the Anita joke was made on a personal level in some sense, because I've been asked if that's a reason I don't play certain video games as well. She's just going to have a different perspective here because she probably gets asked different questions and such than male gamers do.
And there are other forums you can go to that avoid this almost entirely.

Intent doesn't negate effect, too, this is the point. They should understand that.