MisterBear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sorry, came to the thread late and saw the patch where everyone was comparing it to everything else ad absurdum til it gets to the point where it's basically saying 'it looks like a videogame'.
Yep, it's actually really interesting and it is something I think about a lot. I'm thinking it is just gamers imaginations, when they first see something or get hint of something their brains go wild, instead of envisioning a GAME they are kind of envisioning a world that is almost tangible in a way. So when the GAME is finally shown, it can inevitably let some people down because, "Oh it's a game, just like _____ which is also a game". People strive to see something they've never seen before and have it break through all these different molds, which is not really based in a coherent reality.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can like it all you want but the game has next to 0 replayability because of all that nonsense. They were smart with uncharted 4 at least and added not just a level select but an encounter select so you can really skip all that BS that exists to only pad the game's time. Hopefully god of war does this too if they really went and added all that crap or it'll be good for 1 playthrough and a quick return only.

You're clueless. I have played The Last of Us four times, and loved it every time. Best game ever made. I love how just because you didn't like it, it's not replayable and is just padding. Guess what? It's not padding. It all establishes the relationship between Joel and Ellie. And I enjoyed playing those parts. You clearly just don't like that kind of game.

Don't bother. Got into a long debate with him in another thread about this. His big hang-up is replayability and real gameplay vs "walking and talking" and whatnot, so anything like what you're talking about is automatically bad because then the game isn't replayable

Thanks for the heads up. His argument is laughably hollow.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally pre-ordered for £20. Thanks Very. Really looking forward to this. Been a long time since Da Gawd of War fucked shit up.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, it's actually really interesting and it is something I think about a lot. I'm thinking it is just gamers imaginations, when they first see something or get hint of something their brains go wild, instead of envisioning a GAME they are kind of envisioning a world that is almost tangible in a way. So when the GAME is finally shown, it can inevitably let some people down because, "Oh it's a game, just like _____ which is also a game". People strive to see something they've never seen before and have it break through all these different molds, which is not really based in a coherent reality.
Yes it's odd because it's a disconnect not just between their expectation and reality but also their expectation and their own perceived 'reality'; one in which they're actually seeing things in the game that aren't really there in any meaningful way. Like when they see it finally in action it is such a genuinely disappointing feeling that they have to search for extra things to take issue with to try and explain why they feel so disappointed.

And I've gone cross-eyed. I'm not sure I'm making any sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it typical for marketing to start with over a month left till the game?

You'd think you'd do it like a week before the game releases so its on everyones minds.

I don't know how marketing works clearly. Not specifically talking about previews, though that could fall into that.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I have a credit account with a retailer and they regularly send me vouchers for £20, £25, £30 and the vary rare £50. I pretty much use them solely for video games. Their games are expensive, but with the vouchers end up being a pretty good bargain. I get a lot of games for £20 or less thanks to that.

Oct 27, 2017
Is it typical for marketing to start with over a month left till the game?

You'd think you'd do it like a week before the game releases so its on everyones minds.

I don't know how marketing works clearly. Not specifically talking about previews, though that could fall into that.
This is just previews, to let people know more about the game than just Kratos is now in Norse Mythology. Anything info about a game before release (assuming its not bad), I believe, counts as marketing; E3 trailers, demos, previews, etc all count as marketing. And it's much better to tell people a month or two in advance that "Hey, a new God of War is coming out in a month" then a week before release "Hey that God of War we spoke about earlier is coming out next week" than saying "Yo, a new God of War is coming out next week".
The first scenario allows people to talk to other about it with others, thats why its shown at stadiums, theaters, etc. so you can attract gamers and non-gamers, GOW fans and non-GOW fans. The second scenario will attract a much smaller audience because there is much less time for that information to spread.
This is not accounting for brand name games of course, GTA 6 announced today for release tomorrow might still outsell Horizon's lifetime sales in a week.

Last edited:

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This is just previews, to let people know more about the game than just Kratos is now in Norse Mythology. Anything info about a game before release (assuming its not bad), I believe, counts as marketing; E3 trailers, demos, previews, etc all count as marketing. And it's much better to tell people a month or two in advance that "Hey, a new God of War is coming out in a month" then a week before release "Hey that God of War we spoke about earlier is coming out next week" than saying "Yo, a new God of War is coming out next week". The first scenario allows people to talk to other about it with others, thats why its shown at stadiums, theaters, etc. so you can attract gamers and non-gamers, GOW fans and non-GOW fans. The second scenario will attract a much smaller audience because there is much less time for that information to spread. This is not accounting for brand name of course, GTA 6 announced today for release tomorrow might still outsell Horizon's lifetime sales in a week.
We get an actually ad today thats being playing in movie theaters, also we had that basketball court ad weeks ago.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're clueless. I have played The Last of Us four times, and loved it every time. Best game ever made. I love how just because you didn't like it, it's not replayable and is just padding. Guess what? It's not padding. It all establishes the relationship between Joel and Ellie. And I enjoyed playing those parts. You clearly just don't like that kind of game.

You can replay anything as many times as you want it doesn't change padding into unique content and it doesn't change conversations or unskippable scripted moments. It certainly doesn't make crate/pallet "puzzles" more interesting. If you can put up with all of that countless times then more power to you but it doesn't make future replays any easier for most people.

Oct 25, 2017
This is just previews, to let people know more about the game than just Kratos is now in Norse Mythology. Anything info about a game before release (assuming its not bad), I believe, counts as marketing; E3 trailers, demos, previews, etc all count as marketing. And it's much better to tell people a month or two in advance that "Hey, a new God of War is coming out in a month" then a week before release "Hey that God of War we spoke about earlier is coming out next week" than saying "Yo, a new God of War is coming out next week".
The first scenario allows people to talk to other about it with others, thats why its shown at stadiums, theaters, etc. so you can attract gamers and non-gamers, GOW fans and non-GOW fans. The second scenario will attract a much smaller audience because there is much less time for that information to spread.
This is not accounting for brand name games of course, GTA 6 announced today for release tomorrow might still outsell Horizon's lifetime sales in a week.

Cool. Yeah, obviously there is a reason to all this, so now I understand. Good stuff.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
God of War |OT| The Godfather

e6e3c0db-3343-4ea8-8e6rs6.jpeg

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
You can replay anything as many times as you want it doesn't change padding into unique content and it doesn't change conversations or unskippable scripted moments. It certainly doesn't make crate/pallet "puzzles" more interesting. If you can put up with all of that countless times then more power to you but it doesn't make future replays any easier for most people.
Source please.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
You can like it all you want but the game has next to 0 replayability because of all that nonsense. They were smart with uncharted 4 at least and added not just a level select but an encounter select so you can really skip all that BS that exists to only pad the game's time. Hopefully god of war does this too if they really went and added all that crap or it'll be good for 1 playthrough and a quick return only.

I've replayed TLOU more than any other SP game ever and it only got better each time so ummm yeah shrug I guess.
Hard Difficulty | Grounded | PS4 Remaster

I want receipts

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. Yeah, obviously there is a reason to all this, so now I understand. Good stuff.
Yeah, it's all about maximum exposure, that's why you sometimes see comments about TLOU trailers playing during the Walking Dead, or Spider-Man trailers playing before a showing of the Avengers movie, etc. Get people excited and talking so they can share screenshots and gifs on forums, reddit, facebook, etc.
All those "sell me on a game with a single gif/screenshot" threads are also marketing.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You guys know who you're arguing with, right?

Nobody's gonna change their minds from any discussion in here. Might as well just remember who you're conversing with and leave it at that

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm increasingly excited for this. I've been super quiet about it because I just feel like it's been a PR homerun from start to finish on this one. The E3 2016 announcement hooked me from the beginning, and since then I've just been waiting to finally get my hands on it. I feel like there's almost nothing for me to discuss about it, it just looks amazing.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
God of War |OT| Parenthood

God of War |OT| Like Father Unlike Son

God of War |OT| Angry Dad gets a videogame adaptation