• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Went a couple weeks without playing this. Returned to it today and man - I love the combat in this game

the spear is amazing

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just platinumed the game. Much like 2018's GOW I feel like the backtracking mechanisms of this game were dull, largely pointless, full of gear that is no longer really useful or purposeful beyond almost certainly the point you've already reached to gain access to those areas. It make the gameplay less tight in that it becomes over saturated with options when you no longer really care about as well, even on the higher difficulties there isn't much justification to search out anything in particular. This is one of the first games I've played where I was at an 8/10 if I had just played the story straight through, and blocked off/gated areas content was such a slog and detracted in many ways from the main game enough for it to lower my overall score to a 7 and that's after I cooled down a bit. They padded the hours, that's about the only way I could say they justified a lot of what they did. For anyone just starting the game I would highly highly recommend ignoring most side content and focusing on the main story. It is significantly better if you just ignore virtually all the side content that isn't on the main path. If you're still interested in exploring, come back later, but most of it is very hard to justify bothering.

Lunda's armor in vanaheim is basically all you need, throw your axe, punch everything to death. Move on. (Played on the second hardest as I wanted to at least somewhat enjoy it).

Oct 31, 2017
Just platinumed the game. Much like 2018's GOW I feel like the backtracking mechanisms of this game were dull, largely pointless, full of gear that is no longer really useful or purposeful beyond almost certainly the point you've already reached to gain access to those areas. It make the gameplay less tight in that it becomes over saturated with options when you no longer really care about as well, even on the higher difficulties there isn't much justification to search out anything in particular. This is one of the first games I've played where I was at an 8/10 if I had just played the story straight through, and blocked off/gated areas content was such a slog and detracted in many ways from the main game enough for it to lower my overall score to a 7 and that's after I cooled down a bit. They padded the hours, that's about the only way I could say they justified a lot of what they did. For anyone just starting the game I would highly highly recommend ignoring most side content and focusing on the main story. It is significantly better if you just ignore virtually all the side content that isn't on the main path. If you're still interested in exploring, come back later, but most of it is very hard to justify bothering.

Lunda's armor in vanaheim is basically all you need, throw your axe, punch everything to death. Move on. (Played on the second hardest as I wanted to at least somewhat enjoy it).
I haven't Platinumed the game because all of what you've written here is basically exactly how I feel. I just can't be assed to fully complete the content because the game has worn out its welcome at this point. End game just feels like going through the motions.

The RPG-lite systems just make this game and its predecessor worse. Like you say, the gear/levelling is basically irrelevant all game long in both games on the whole, aside from the illusion of mild player "choice". So it begs the questions: "Why do they exist?/What purpose do they serve?". And by the time you get to the point of gear/levels being even semi-relevant to the content you are playing, it's like "why bother? I'm tired and ready to be done". For the most part, it's content you've already experienced just more; more of an endurance/patience check than actual tests of skill/knowledge and even gear. And it's just like "Why?".

And backtracking in these games is the opposite of fun. It's literally unfun.

Both of these games would be so much better IMO if they seriously trimmed the fat. Get rid of all of the systemic stuff as they are. Way cut down on the tedious traversal that mostly serves as narrative/exposition delivery.

I suspect that at one point this/GoW '18 WAS a much leaner/tighter game. Where they truly stuck to the "one shot camera" by not having any tertiary systemic elements and going with a truly diegetic "menu" too. But then they were focus tested into going with the modern tropes of "It's got to have resources", "It's got to have stats", "It's got to have a map", "If I'm paying X amount of money, the game should be Y long to get my money's worth", "There should be backtracking", etc. though none of these things actually serve to make the games and their experience better.

Lots of people early on were saying this game's side content was super good and absolutely worth playing. And after playing basically all of it as I came upon it through the game (only now not having finished the very last 5% or so of end game things to clean up), I'm with you in that the game probably plays better by mostly ignoring all the non-critical path content. The side stuff does help to flesh out Kratos and his relationships, which is mostly what makes them worth it. And they do have some solid combat encounters, but for the most part it all just feels like additional game time padding.

If these were more "lean and mean", closer to the original games' taut pacing and content delivery, I think I'd be more inclined to rate these games as highly as most others/critics do. As they are though, I think the bloat seriously hurts these games. It's a bummer, because I think there's some awesome stuff here but they are just mired in a bunch of extraneous bloat.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't Platinumed the game because all of what you've written here is basically exactly how I feel. I just can't be assed to fully complete the content because the game has worn out its welcome at this point. End game just feels like going through the motions.

The RPG-lite systems just make this game and its predecessor worse. Like you say, the gear/levelling is basically irrelevant all game long in both games on the whole, aside from the illusion of mild player "choice". So it begs the questions: "Why do they exist?/What purpose do they serve?". And by the time you get to the point of gear/levels being even semi-relevant to the content you are playing, it's like "why bother? I'm tired and ready to be done". For the most part, it's content you've already experienced just more; more of an endurance/patience check than actual tests of skill/knowledge and even gear. And it's just like "Why?".

And backtracking in these games is the opposite of fun. It's literally unfun.

Both of these games would be so much better IMO if they seriously trimmed the fat. Get rid of all of the systemic stuff as they are. Way cut down on the tedious traversal that mostly serves as narrative/exposition delivery.

I suspect that at one point this/GoW '18 WAS a much leaner/tighter game. Where they truly stuck to the "one shot camera" by not having any tertiary systemic elements and going with a truly diegetic "menu" too. But then they were focus tested into going with the modern tropes of "It's got to have resources", "It's got to have stats", "It's got to have a map", "If I'm paying X amount of money, the game should be Y long to get my money's worth", "There should be backtracking", etc. though none of these things actually serve to make the games and their experience better.

Lots of people early on were saying this game's side content was super good and absolutely worth playing. And after playing basically all of it as I came upon it through the game (only now not having finished the very last 5% or so of end game things to clean up), I'm with you in that the game probably plays better by mostly ignoring all the non-critical path content. The side stuff does help to flesh out Kratos and his relationships, which is mostly what makes them worth it. And they do have some solid combat encounters, but for the most part it all just feels like additional game time padding.

If these were more "lean and mean", closer to the original games' taut pacing and content delivery, I think I'd be more inclined to rate these games as highly as most others/critics do. As they are though, I think the bloat seriously hurts these games. It's a bummer, because I think there's some awesome stuff here but they are just mired in a bunch of extraneous bloat.
Yea you nailed it. It's sad because it was the same issue I had with the first and made the impact of getting the blades of chaos so much less enjoyable lol. I made the joke that this Ragnarok is god of gardening because of how many bushes and plants I spent time burning amongst other tedious time sinks like climbing. I think the main campaign would be about 15-20 hours of decently paced gameplay in Ragnaroks case. I do agree that Berserker fights and some optional fights were quite enjoyable. But just became entangled with the other uninteresting bits. I enjoy the character discourse, but the pacing just feels bad for sure as a result of the structure.

Oct 31, 2017
Yea you nailed it. It's sad because it was the same issue I had with the first and made the impact of getting the blades of chaos so much less enjoyable lol. I made the joke that this Ragnarok is god of gardening because of how many bushes and plants I spent time burning amongst other tedious time sinks like climbing. I think the main campaign would be about 15-20 hours of decently paced gameplay in Ragnaroks case. I do agree that Berserker fights and some optional fights were quite enjoyable. But just became entangled with the other uninteresting bits. I enjoy the character discourse, but the pacing just feels bad for sure as a result of the structure.
Yeah, the backtracking gates in both games are not compelling. It's not like a Metroid game where you get actual moves that change your ability to traverse and explore the world and suddenly you are seeing the environments through a new lens. It's just basic ass lock and key gates that just take time spent to gain the key then more time spent to work your way back to the lock from when you originally ran across it.

In both games, the gear just feels virtually meaningless to me. And the materials as a result feel mostly contextless/meaningless. Like all Ragnarok long, the game is "rewarding" you with hacksilver and upgrade mats and I almost never bothered with either. So it's like OK? Woo?

Yeah some of the post game fights are enjoyable on their own merits, but after you've seen a couple, it's like "OK I've had my fill I don't need to see it through". I've done the same thing with both games now where I do about 70% of the post-game bosses/encounter setups, but I've now lost my will to see it to completion.

It's like these games wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

They want to be taut, brisk action games. But then they haphazardly staple on these gear/levelling/material systems but don't actually really give you much in the way of content choice to making these systems meaningful because 95% of both games truly meaningful content is a railroaded, linear, tightly controlled path where all the gear and materials you come across basically have no real relevance. A player will always be meaningfully leveled and geared all game long by just playing the crit path. The only time you'll be gear checked will be for the final 5% of the game.

They can't make a truly freeform and non-linear experience ala the Souls games where gear checks matter because they are making a focused "simple" action game. Which in turn undercuts the RPG-lite and exploration elements and these RPG-lite/exploration elements undercut the focused action game design too. It's basically two game design philosophies at odds with one another forced together.

They could have made these games where the RPG and gear elements played more of a role in guiding the player; where skill could overcome gear number checks in certain spots but there were more gradients in this balance of gear/level vs player skill. Or they could have made more of a focused action game with both titles where they ditched all the extraneous systems and were more pure, focused action. Yet they came down in the middle in an unsatisfying way which doesn't really work well for either game design philosophy.

I also played on the second hardest difficulty for both games and I can't really imagine playing God of War diff on either tbh. Hell, I thought No Mercy in this game was honestly pretty damn hard and I kind of wonder what the difference between it and GoW is. Is it just the levelling up system that's the difference between the two? Because No Mercy honestly felt like most game's hardest difficulty to me. Rather than the second hardest. It felt more like Legendary/Nightmare rather than Heroic/Ultra-Violence to put it in Halo/DOOM difficulty terms.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the backtracking gates in both games are not compelling. It's not like a Metroid game where you get actual moves that change your ability to traverse and explore the world and suddenly you are seeing the environments through a new lens. It's just basic ass lock and key gates that just take time spent to gain the key then more time spent to work your way back to the lock from when you originally ran across it.

In both games, the gear just feels virtually meaningless to me. And the materials as a result feel mostly contextless/meaningless. Like all Ragnarok long, the game is "rewarding" you with hacksilver and upgrade mats and I almost never bothered with either. So it's like OK? Woo?

Yeah some of the post game fights are enjoyable on their own merits, but after you've seen a couple, it's like "OK I've had my fill I don't need to see it through". I've done the same thing with both games now where I do about 70% of the post-game bosses/encounter setups, but I've now lost my will to see it to completion.

It's like these games wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

They want to be taut, brisk action games. But then they haphazardly staple on these gear/levelling/material systems but don't actually really give you much in the way of content choice to making these systems meaningful because 95% of both games truly meaningful content is a railroaded, linear, tightly controlled path where all the gear and materials you come across basically have no real relevance. A player will always be meaningfully leveled and geared all game long by just playing the crit path. The only time you'll be gear checked will be for the final 5% of the game.

They can't make a truly freeform and non-linear experience ala the Souls games where gear checks matter because they are making a focused "simple" action game. Which in turn undercuts the RPG-lite and exploration elements and these RPG-lite/exploration elements undercut the focused action game design too. It's basically two game design philosophies at odds with one another forced together.

They could have made these games where the RPG and gear elements played more of a role in guiding the player; where skill could overcome gear number checks in certain spots but there were more gradients in this balance of gear/level vs player skill. Or they could have made more of a focused action game with both titles where they ditched all the extraneous systems and were more pure, focused action. Yet they came down in the middle in an unsatisfying way which doesn't really work well for either game design philosophy.

I also played on the second hardest difficulty for both games and I can't really imagine playing God of War diff on either tbh. Hell, I thought No Mercy in this game was honestly pretty damn hard and I kind of wonder what the difference between it and GoW is. Is it just the levelling up system that's the difference between the two? Because No Mercy honestly felt like most game's hardest difficulty to me. Rather than the second hardest. It felt more like Legendary/Nightmare rather than Heroic/Ultra-Violence to put it in Halo/DOOM difficulty terms.
The hardest difficulty in GOW 2018 added an additional mechanic in status effects were increased pretty severely, enemy stagger is almost non existent etc. Also every enemy once you hit them because elites or something and you had to finish them or they would just regenerate all their health etc. I can't remember exactly. But it's basically just sounds like an absolute slog on give me god of war. Ragnarok looks very similiar in terms of difficulty hikes.

I usually play things in the hardest difficulty, but some games just aren't fun anymore at all on those difficulties because it just becomes rote and extremely time consuming. It would be like the annoying part of the game in terms of poor pacing and making combat tedious as well lol.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018

You know I do find it odd that someone would complain that platinuming a game was a slog because i don't think I've ever played a game where trying to platinum it wasn't a chore. Even with some of my favorite games ever like bloodborne and I saw the platinum requirements and I didn't even bother.

That might just be a me thing since I've never been a completionist.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know I do find it odd that someone would complain that platinuming a game was a slog because i don't think I've ever played a game where trying to platinum it wasn't a chore. Even with some of my favorite games ever like bloodborne and I saw the platinum requirements and I didn't even bother.

That might just be a me thing since I've never been a completionist.

I think because Bloodborne (which god damnit I just have the chalice dungeon Yarnham Queen to do, and fell off and didn't come back to finish it) was scummable pretty easy. Most the achievements were doable in one play through and were largely interesting to do. GoW it's collectibles, which I wouldn't mind. But you cannot get them often at times while you're on the path during the game, because they're locked behind certain story points or item unlocks. Like a Metroid-vania, except there is absolutely no reason to be coming back to those areas meaningfully later, it's just side areas locked away with some enemies, a climbing segment or a puzzle and then a chest etc. They often have gear you no longer care about because you're almost finished with the game, there's really nothing required or useful for those gear either because you probably have stuff that's more than good enough already. They just are padding, pure and simple. It's only marginally less infuriating than like a ubi open world checklist game.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
I think because Bloodborne (which god damnit I just have the chalice dungeon Yarnham Queen to do, and fell off and didn't come back to finish it) was scummable pretty easy. Most the achievements were doable in one play through and were largely interesting to do. GoW it's collectibles, which I wouldn't mind. But you cannot get them often at times while you're on the path during the game, because they're locked behind certain story points or item unlocks. Like a Metroid-vania, except there is absolutely no reason to be coming back to those areas meaningfully later, it's just side areas locked away with some enemies, a climbing segment or a puzzle and then a chest etc. They often have gear you no longer care about because you're almost finished with the game, there's really nothing required or useful for those gear either because you probably have stuff that's more than good enough already. They just are padding, pure and simple. It's only marginally less infuriating than like a ubi open world checklist game.
I mean i liked the puzzles even if they were simple as well as the fights. I dont agree about the gear complaints because i did find in my experience that different builds affected my playstyle and switching sets made the game more enjoyable to me so agree to disagree I suppose.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean i liked the puzzles even if they were simple as well as the fights. I dont agree about the gear complaints because i did find in my experience that different builds affected my playstyle and switching sets made the game more enjoyable to me so agree to disagree I suppose.
No I'm not talking specifically about puzzles being bad. Most those side area puzzles were nornir chest related which were only hard when you didn't know that the runic arrows stack to increase area or run around corner to destroy plant bulb to release vines, find way around place to burn other vines etc.

As far as gear I'm talking about the amount of stuff that becomes only unlockable quite late, which is a lot due to Draupnir. This was the same issue brought with the blades of chaos coming in so late into GOW 2018, where all the vines/nettles were just hilts and such your blades which just didn't justify all the backtracking. By that point you probably have a decent number of sets and options and have been upgrading them fairly frequently. You may find another set that changes your preferred weapon a little. But you're also still going to encounter plenty just on the main story path. So those side areas gear become non important/essential in any really tangible way as they don't provide that much benefit. So you're backtracking and winding through beaten paths that you've already experienced to get a different rune for your necklace or handle for a weapon and just like GOW 2018. It doesn't feel really all that impactful, like that doesn't justify you revisiting an area and having to run through the jungle for 10 minutes to climb a ledge again and kill 5 enemies. It feels like they intentionally blocked it off, so that you had to grind later to give you a reason to revisit areas, when there really wasn't a reason to do so and it just inflated the time in a dull way. Hence my recommendation to not bother with side areas until after the main game. I won't even lie that after Gnar and the Berserkers I turned the game down to the lowest difficulty to finish off the platinum because there was no combat challenge at that point anyway and it just sped up me running around the world and opening chests. I had basically collected everything prior to that point aside from the draupnir blockages anyway. But half the time I basically just couldn't finish a region and ran into literal roadblocks that required story progress or draupnir etc, kind of arbitrarily and those areas weren't so interesting they warranted returning to. So it just made the base game experience worse as a result. I hope that clears up what I'm trying to say.

Last edited:

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Still thinking about this game over a week after I beat it. GOTY for me for sure.

Also, holy shit the blood upon the snow song by Hozier is just fucking incredible.

Stormblessed

Feb 21, 2019
These berserker fights are either really fun or really awful no in between. Just gonna turn it down from no mercy for the shit ones

Oct 25, 2017
Okay WTH...mid game? I thought?

I just killed Heimdall, and followed a dog to this crater and I have to be honest this shit feels like DLC this entire area is packed with a megaton of sidequests and everything feels way over my current level. I mainly want to know if I can leave this place and come back later...I have been playing on the hardest difficulty and haven't been this tilted till now.

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Okay WTH...mid game?

I just killed Heimdall, and followed a dog to this crater and I have to be honest this shit feels like DLC this entire area is packed with a megaton of sidequests and everything feels way over my current level. I mainly want to know if I can leave this place and come back later...I have been playing on the hardest difficulty and haven't been this tilted till now.

Yes, you can do it whenever you want.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Think I'm just over halfway, and just fought some Dark Elves from a Tear in the Frozen Lake section. It was fucking awful. Probably the least fun I've had with any game this year there. Crystallised my problems with this games combat too being that the 2018 game had polished it's combat approach to a sheen while this game piled on new mechanics that have just broken it too far.

Genuinely can't get over how fucked the pacing is. There's moments where I'm playing something that feels like how the 2018 game did, and then theres like 5 hours of awfulness to trudge through.

Between this and Horizon Forbidden West, Sony need to have a word with themselves.

Oct 27, 2017
The 2/3 enemy berserker fights are such horseshit. Kratos and the combat system just aren't built for battles like that. The FOV is too fucking close to Kratos to get any kind of awareness, and Kratos is aslow lumbering tree trunk. It just doesn't fucking work. It's so infurating

Oct 31, 2017
The 2/3 enemy berserker fights are such horseshit. Kratos and the combat system just aren't built for battles like that. The FOV is too fucking close to Kratos to get any kind of awareness, and Kratos is aslow lumbering tree trunk. It just doesn't fucking work. It's so infurating
The "slow moving, homing death balls while the tanky melee character is constantly in your face" one berserker fight was some of the most frustrating shit I've played in a game in a bit. And I spent 13+ hours solo fighting Malenia in Elden Ring earlier this year.

It was especially obnoxious when the projectile tossing berserkers would spawn the homing orbs when you were extra pinned/low on health. It was almost as if they fine tuned the AI for that fight to be as aggravating as possible haha. Like you'd have one launching the quick projectiles, the other calling up the homing orb, all while you were stun locked from getting caught in one of the other attacks. Just lol.

I was trying to "play it legit" for a while by continuously dodging the projectiles while whittling down the melee rusher, then I eventually threw up my hands and said "FUCK THIS" lol. Changed my strategy to a more "cheesy" tactic of running around the perimeter while constantly throwing spears at the projectile ones to deal with them first. Was far more effective for sure.

Really, most of the projectile tossing enemies in this game combo'd with chaotic in your face action + effects going off was obnoxious precisely because of Kratos' tank like movement + the narrow FOV like you say. Yeah, it's hard, but not in a very fun way. And then when you get through these moments it never really felt rewarding/exhilarating to me like overcoming difficult things in other games. I always just felt relieved that it was over rather than excited that I did it.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just finished the Reunion main quest and dealing with Garm.

It's funny, this is probably the first AAA game in a while where I'm really enjoying the overarching narrative and writing, but finding everything around it fairly tedious.

The puzzles are largely straightforward, but every so often there's ones that are just really unintuitive to me. I typically feel bad with looking up puzzles solutions online in games, because I often look at them and go 'man I should have figured that out on my own'. But with this game when I look them up, I instead go 'I regret not looking that up sooner, because I had no idea that's what they wanted me to do there'. It's interesting to see all the complaints about the game that NPC's talk too much and give away puzzle solutions, when I often find that when I really need them to help me out, they're oddly silent in those cases. Honestly wish they were a bit more talkative, because whether the puzzles have been straightforward or obtuse, I've yet to find any of them truly engaging. They continue to feel like 'busy work' to fluff out the length of the game, and while I typically don't mind when they're simple enough, it does becoming annoying when they bring the pacing down to a screeching halt when they're more on the obtuse side.

In terms of combat encounters, man these enemies hit hard. I don't necessarily mind that, as I do enjoy the challenging boss encounters in games like Elden Ring, but I suppose I don't really understand what I'm doing wrong when I take massive damage here. It's a lot of moments of 'Oh I thought I dodged that? Apparently not' (compared to something again like Elden Ring where when I take damage, I go 'yep I messed up there, that's on me').
Got to the point where I died multiple times to the Maven boss fight in the Elven Sanctum Favor and finally hit the point where I was like 'ok I'm just going to drop this down from 'Give me balance' to 'Give me grace', only to find the fight marginally (at best) easier than before. I eventually beat it, but good lord, I guess I'm so terrible here that I might end up having to drop this down to the story difficulty later on. Based on that encounter, the 'easy' and 'normal' difficulties barely felt any different.

Honestly don't remember the combat giving me as many issues in the 2018 game. Either it's gotten harder, or I've simply gotten worse at these type of games over time (either I suppose is equally likely).

But the narrative up to this point is really engaging me, and that alone is definitely keeping me interested in progressing forward. Just wish I was enjoying the 'gameplay' around it more. Not sure why I'm running into more issues with this than 2018, as on the surface the gameplay loop (from combat to puzzles) doesn't feel wildly different to me compared to that game, but I don't know, perhaps my tastes have changed over the past 4 years or so.

Edit: Reflecting on the above, I think the area I've been running into most of my issues with the combat challenges is side content, so for now think I'll probably enjoy the gameplay more if I focus on the main story for now and come back for favors afterwards if I'm interested with hopefully better gear at that point.

Last edited:

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
Despite any gripes I have with the game, the setting is fantastic. I'm sad we only got two games in the Norse mythology

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this. I liked it overall but the formula has grown stale after just two games. This game has serious pacing issues and it feels too long and too short at the same time. You basically do the same things over and over and there's like zero progression or sense of accomplishment.

But the narrative is great, the characters are cool and the feeling at the end is of satisfaction. In retrospect the first game would've benefited from taking things from the second and viceversa. Like, introduce more characters in the first and cut some stuff from the second.

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
a Socialist Utopia
I finally finished this game and by the end I think it went from a 7/10 to an 8/10 for me.

I thought my trusty old PS4 had died because I couldn't get video from it no matter what I tried. Looked like the HDMI was dead, so I shelved the game for a few weeks, not really missing it because I was not feeling it when I stopped playing. I stopped right before the mission after which you fight Heimdall and subsequently gain access to The Crater area. I later decided to give the PS4 a go one more time and then it just booted up with video and has worked ever since. I decided to finish the game to have a well formed opinion based on the full game. I'm pretty glad I did.

Starting out again fighting Heimdall and then going to The Crater area was amazing and the rest of the game was pretty good with a great ending. These final hours with the game from The Crater to the ending really pulled the game up from the mid game slump for me.

The game still has tons of issues from shitty pacing to the terrible writing in places. But now that all is said and done I think it's a good game with some unfortunate and glaring flaws.

Last edited:

aladashdin

Jan 15, 2020
Went a couple weeks without playing this. Returned to it today and man - I love the combat in this game

the spear is amazing

I agree with this whole post 😊

I am past the credits in postgame and I'm still having a good time with the combat. This game falls into this category for me: high highs, low lows, but I'm willing to work past the many lows because something about the combat just hooks me. In GOW2018, I got very frustrated at the crowd control difficulties, but I no longer find this to be a flaw, I actually find it to be the whole point. Getting good at crowd control with this close-up camera and these weapons IS the point, and it's precisely what I enjoyed overcoming.

There's only one thing I want to please go away forever: please take out all the puzzles! I hate them, find them boring and pointless. They're barely even puzzles, more like inconvenient ways to slow you down.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
could anyone give me a rough estimation of how far through the game i am?

i just freed the jellyfish in the Secret of the Sands sidequest, and am now Atreus following the girl around in the forest, I just turned into a wolf for the first time

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
I agree with this whole post 😊

I am past the credits in postgame and I'm still having a good time with the combat. This game falls into this category for me: high highs, low lows, but I'm willing to work past the many lows because something about the combat just hooks me. In GOW2018, I got very frustrated at the crowd control difficulties, but I no longer find this to be a flaw, I actually find it to be the whole point. Getting good at crowd control with this close-up camera and these weapons IS the point, and it's precisely what I enjoyed overcoming.

There's only one thing I want to please go away forever: please take out all the puzzles! I hate them, find them boring and pointless. They're barely even puzzles, more like inconvenient ways to slow you down.

Yea this shouldn't be God of Puzzles. Don't understand why every developer thinks they can be Nintendo and design clever Zelda puzzles.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Did the (late game spoilers I'm guessing) Heimdall fight. Genuinely love how perfectly hatable that guy is lol

Also just reached that optional area. Man people weren't kidding, this place is big. Feels every 5 minutes or so I'm unlocking a new favor here.

Edit: Think I finished up all the favors in The Crater area. Feel I have a bit better handle on the combat now after all the boss fights in there, and got a decent amount of upgrades too. Think I underestimated how much of a difference those make, as going back to Midgard for a favor and seeing enemies only at Level 4 were a breeze to get through now.

Also think 'Animal Instincts' has been my favorite favor so far. Kratos (mid-to-late game spoilers) petting Speki and Svanna was a nice moment. I'm guessing it's possible to do this with Freya as well, but feel the quest has a lot more impact doing it with Atreus IMO.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018
Definitely feel like the first one was better. For me there's just certain things that feel super rushed. I'd probably give it an 8/10 personally. Although I still have yet to 100% the game.

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
Finished it tonight. Kinda went though the motions in the last big section tbh. It suffers from so much of what 2018 does in that all of it is really...good. Just a good game from top to bottom. Nothing is exceptional. It's pretty, but the biomes are uninspired. The combat works and it's nice to press the buttons but It's not intricate or inventive. The plot is there, yep, stuff definitely happens to people! It's all enjoyable but there's really just nothing memorable about it. Oh, the sound design in-game is great but the score is as bland as it gets. I chuckled a few times I guess but at what I can't remember. It's a good game alright. Just good.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know why this game isn't getting a hardcover strategy guide like GOW 2018 and many other big SIE releases get?

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
The berserker fights are the equivalent of the valkyrie fights from the last game, right? Skimming through this thread, glad others found them challenging/annoying. I've only beat a couple so far, but I was questioning my skill level with having to take many attempts to beat them (like a souls boss). If they were just standard minibosses I was going to feel bad lol

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Anyone know why this game isn't getting a hardcover strategy guide like GOW 2018 and many other big SIE releases get?

I've asked this numerous times in this thread. HUGE bummer for me as I absolutely loved the 2018 strategy guide. I'm hoping that at some point one may come out (Elden Rings came out much later).

I've poked around amazon and saw some store pages that showed a hardcover but who the hell knows what it actually is.

Really hoping we get one at some point.

Link to some random "official" guide on amazon Link

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
I've asked this numerous times in this thread. HUGE bummer for me as I absolutely loved the 2018 strategy guide. I'm hoping that at some point one may come out (Elden Rings came out much later).

I've poked around amazon and saw some store pages that showed a hardcover but who the hell knows what it actually is.

Really hoping we get one at some point.

Link to some random "official" guide on amazon Link

Yeah Im choked I missed out on the 2018 hardcover guide and I did preorder the 2 Elden Ring ones which arrived later (got Volume 1 last month) so I am hoping that might be the case for Ragnarok as well. It does seem though that most SIE games other than Horizon and 2018 God of War get these types of guides though, which also sucks lol...

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
So if I'm
wrapping up the last of the Vanaheim favors (klling dragons and ghost/spirit stuff)

how many hours do I probably have in the game assuming I tackle any new area-specific favors along the way? Are there more larege, explorable areas to come with tons of favors like this? I've enjoyed the game alright, but I'm 42 hours in and just kind of ready to see the end.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
So if I'm
wrapping up the last of the Vanaheim favors (klling dragons and ghost/spirit stuff)

how many hours do I probably have in the game assuming I tackle any new area-specific favors along the way? Are there more larege, explorable areas to come with tons of favors like this? I've enjoyed the game alright, but I'm 42 hours in and just kind of ready to see the end.

Where are u in the story?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It annoys the hell out of me that on all long climbing primitives they make you stop in your tracks and push your son in front of you then wait for him to start climbing before you start climbing yourself. This adds like 2 more seconds on to an already annoyingly slow climbing sequence. Then to add insult to injury my son's ass is in my face for the whole climb.

And I'm almost positive that this isn't done to mask loading for every one of them. It's like they needed this additional animation to mask loading for a few climbing segments but then decided to just make it trigger on all of them.

Same thing with the squeeze sequences. Although I give them slightly more of the benefit of the doubt that they make you watch the shove son in front of you and wait for him to move forward a bit animations to mask loading.

Also I hate that the son always ends up standing somewhere really inconvenient and he has full collision on him that stops you from moving and whines when you bump into him. If I collide with his box I should not stop at all and he should sprint out of the way and not make a complaint bark. You can see me moving around, GTFO of the way

Last edited:

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
game percentage question
just reached asgard for the first time as atreus.. how much game do i have left?