• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘God of War’ TV Series a Go at Amazon

'Wheel of Time' showrunner Rafe Judkins and 'The Expanse' creators Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby are adapting the award-winning PlayStation game.

The streamer has greenlit a series based on the award-winning PlayStation game God of War. The Wheel of Time's Rafe Judkins will serve as showrunner on the adaptation, and Oscar nominees Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children of Men, Iron Man, The Expanse) are writing and executive producing with Judkins.

Sony Pictures Television and Amazon Studios are producing God of War in association with PlayStation Productions.

"God of War is a compelling, character-driven franchise that we believe will captivate our global customers as much with its expansive and immersive worlds as its rich storytelling," Vernon Sanders, head of global television at Amazon Studios, said in a statement. "We are honored to share in the adventure of exploring the God of War mythology in such a momentous way with Sony Pictures Television, PlayStation Productions and [game developer] Santa Monica Studio."

Judkins, Fergus and Ostby are executive producing God of War with Santa Monica Studio creative director Cory Barlog, PlayStation Productions' Qizilbash and Carter Swan, Santa Monica Studio's Yumi Yang and Vertigo's Roy Lee. Santa Monica Studio's Jeff Ketcham is co-EP.

View: https://twitter.com/PrimeVideo/status/1603089353093353473

View: https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1603089635894337539

Last edited:

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
The series, in development since March, will follow Kratos, the God of War, who exiles himself from his blood-soaked past in ancient Greece and hangs up his weapons forever in the Norse realm of Midgard. "When his beloved wife dies," the show's description reads, "Kratos sets off on a dangerous journey with his estranged son to spread her ashes from the highest peak — his wife's final wish. Kratos soon realizes the journey is an epic quest in disguise, one which will test the bonds between father and son, and force Kratos to battle new gods and monsters for the fate of the world."
Norse saga adaptation

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Hard pass if the guy who did WoT is involved. Most disappointed i've ever been in a TV show.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Man the cast of this show is gonna be suspect but i'm interested

Jul 1, 2020
But would they start with Greek mythology where the series actually begins or would they start with the 2018 game and just deal with the greek mythology stuff in flashback?

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Uhh... I mean, yeah, I get the new games would be very good cause of the heavy focus on story and characters, but you need the Greek stuff. Either they do that, which would be awkward to say the least... or they do it via flashbacks or something. Which could work, maybe? But either way, I'm not gonna expect much from this. Would love to be wrong of course.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
How do you do Norse mythology on a TV budget?

But would they start with Greek mythology where the series actually begins or would they start with the 2018 game and just deal with the greek mythology stuff in flashback?

They're doing Norse.

When his beloved wife dies," the show's description reads, "Kratos sets off on a dangerous journey with his estranged son to spread her ashes from the highest peak — his wife's final wish. Kratos soon realizes the journey is an epic quest in disguise, one which will test the bonds between father and son, and force Kratos to battle new gods and monsters for the fate of the world

Jan 29, 2018
Is Amazon officially doing Mass Effect too or were they just "in talks"?

Anyway I wonder if they adapt the Greece trilogy or just start with the new stuff.

Edit: never mind they're adapting the 2018 game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if Wheel is going to go the distance. They have been weirdly quiet on a S2 premiere date.

Losing one of their main stars partway through S1 and having the final two episodes unravel around them hurt the show so badly. I think S2 will still happen but they have a STEEP hill to climb to get out of the hole Mat's actor dug them into.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Going by Wheel of Time adaptation, don't really want a Xena/Hercules-like cheezy TV adaptation of God of War.

This is assuming they'd base it off the new games and try to be serious. If they're doing the Greek trilogy it probably can't be any worse than the story in the games lol

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Starring Chris Pratt as Kratos

"Chris Pratt says his Kratos movie voice and performance will be "unlike anything you've heard" in God of War before"

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Losing one of their main stars partway through S1 and having the final two episodes unravel around them hurt the show so badly. I think S2 will still happen but they have a STEEP hill to climb to get out of the hole Mat's actor dug them into.

No, S2 is done filming. They have actors cast for characters I'm really excited about. But yes, the last two episodes are very bad and they are going to have to do major work to get the audience invested again because of circumstances that they really did not have control over. I don't know if Amazon is as in on S3 as they were a few years ago when they started the project. We should have a trailer for S2 by now given when filming was finished.

Hard pass if the guy who did WoT is involved. Most disappointed i've ever been in a TV show.

See above, outside stuff really hurt the show.

(Context- COVID hits after episode six is done filming. Mat's actor does not return after the break to film 7+8, they have to do the handwavy thing and write him off for the rest of the season while working around COVID limitations for the last two episodes which is why some things are shot a bit curiously)

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Also this is a terrible pairing for Amazon's family TV brand.

God of War TV would really only work as an HBO show imo. It's way too brutal, even the 2018 version.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
"BOY, PASS ME THAT DELICIOUS AND REFRESHING ZOA!"

the-rock.gif

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhh...Hoped for better for The Expanse guys. I will never watch this but w/e, a GoW series was inevitable considering all the other gaming adaptations being greenlit.

dmshaposv

Oct 27, 2017
Greek Kratos: Momoa
Norse Kratos: Harbour
Atreus: Tom Holland
Faye: Mark Wahlberg

fuck it why not.

Also, get the actual Richard Schiff for Odin

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
It's a shame Christopher Judge's body is wrecked from his time on SG-1 and prior to that his College Football tenure.

He's still in great shape for his age and and multiple surgeries, but playing a physcially demanding role like that of Kratos may be one step too far for him, even he was in consideration for the role.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
Wheel of Time showrunner? Oh no :(

Another case of falling upwards. Butcher my favorite fantasy series? No problem, get a crack at my favorite game. At least if its the 2018 adaptation I can just ignore this.

dmshaposv

Oct 27, 2017
If they'd be smart they should do norse saga as anthology series 1, and greek saga to fleshout the backstory as series 2.

Cast two seperate actors for each series.

Colasante

Nov 5, 2017
I understand why they'd start with the Norse saga instead of in ancient Greece, but I think it's a mistake. The incongruity of seeing Kratos in the Norse mythology works so much better because of the time we spent with him in ancient Greece. But hopefully they can prove me wrong.