• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
So it's going to be the new stuff with the greek aspects as flashbacks from the sound of things.

That still works but it definitely means there's going to be less weight to some of those story moments imo.

Yeah but that is the case with the games also since most of the new fanbase never played the old games.
At least this time people get to see flashbacks within the tv series unlike the games.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
logan-burns-3-dave-bautista-kratos-with-armor-with-titles-poster.jpg

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah that part was the only reason I have a small bit of faith this could be ok.

Judkins, Fergus and Ostby are executive producing God of War with Santa Monica Studio creative director Cory Barlog, PlayStation Productions' Qizilbash and Carter Swan, Santa Monica Studio's Yumi Yang and Vertigo's Roy Lee. Santa Monica Studio's Jeff Ketcham is co-EP.

Jun 20, 2021
I don't know about them starting with God of War 2018.

Part of the appeal of that game was that we had seen him (and BEEN him) hacking and slashing his way through the Greek pantheon for six games and the tonal shift to seeing him as just a dad wanting a quiet life with his son following the death of the woman he fell in love with was such a shock.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
While there hasn't been a full trailer for S2, there was a behind-the-scenes thing a month or so ago. Aside from that, S3 was already greenlit and is supposed to begin filming at the start of the new year. Hoping S2 picks up strong because, as you said, COVID really messed that up that first season.

Thanks for the update, last I checked on the production was filming ending because I'm just tuning out until the trailer/premiere date is announced.

Glad to hear they have a S3 set in stone.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Starting with Norse arc makes sense to me since Kratos isn't really a compelling character before then. Newer viewers will just come at it from a different perspective where the Greek background can be teased with flashbacks, or even as a cool reveal/twist (even if it's easily spoiled).

not sure they're gonna cast a white dude as Kratos
Not that Kratos has to be a white dude (and Harbour is a terrible choice), but do we not usually consider Greek ethnicity as white?

Haha, ok forgot about that one. To be fair, other than The Boys, everything else that's Amazon original is more PG-13ish than other channels.
Is it though? Carnival Row, Man in the High Castle, Upload, Invincible, Fleabag, Goliath, Transparent, etc etc etc. Amazon has plenty of R-rated level stuff. I don't really associate them with any particular demo.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I hate projects like this. Of course the option to not watch it is there. I won't. I played the games, I loved them, I don't see any value in doing a live action version of the games. Same for these horrible live action versions of anime that Netflix is doing. Just stop.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised they are going straight to Norse, think the Greek games would be impossible to actually adapt to a TV without a insane budget. Which Amazon could give, but can't blame them for not.

People tied to The Expanse and Cory involved is giving me some hope it'll be good, but definitely going in with low expectations.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
They are going to have to absolutely nail the casting of Kratos or this gonna be a bomba

Oct 25, 2017
somehow even lamer than the The Last of Us adaptation. will never get the appeal of TV adaptations of story heavy games.

like, if you want to take the IP and do a new story? great, cool, i'm interested.

but 1:1 adaptations? booooring.

Because not everybody plays games but are interested in stories like this.

Fergus and Osby have a great track record. Both The Expanse and Children of Men are great.

Not that Kratos has to be a white dude (and Harbour is a terrible choice), but do we not usually consider Greek ethnicity as white?
I think you could but I'd actually love a unknown Greek Actor take the role (rather than safe Anglo-American casted actors).
He's said that part of the reason he's ready to leave Drax behind is because of how difficult it is for him to stay in the shape needed for the role at his age.
Yeah, everyone who goes "Baustia for Kratos!" kinda forget he doesn't want to really stay shape that much anymore. Likewise with Christopher Judge who is 57.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I think they'd do Norse arc first and if the show is a success they can do a prequel series or big budget movie of the Greek story.

Adapting the Greek arc would be hilarious. There is zero chance they would do it accurately and it'd be interesting to see what they come up with doing a new non-edge take on it. I feel like a Greek arc GoW movie would be a good fit for Michael Bay.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I hate projects like this. Of course the option to not watch it is there. I won't. I played the games, I loved them, I don't see any value in doing a live action version of the games. Same for these horrible live action versions of anime that Netflix is doing. Just stop.
I've said this also when people ask why they keep trying to adapt anime to live action, but the value is that it brings the IP and concept/story to an audience that otherwise would have never engaged with it. As much as it sucks to say, there is a significantly large audience that would be interested in this story if it wasn't in a video game format because they have no interest in video games (or comic books, or anime, or whatever). Couple that with the bump these shows can bring to the games when they're well done (see The Witcher and Cyberpunk: Edgerunners) and the value is pretty obvious.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Rangaroks messy plot and abundance of characters kinda felt like a pitch for a season of a tv show. Hopefully they can refine that.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017

Same; I'd be open to a spin off of some sort like Cyberpunk or Arcane. Not a retread of the same plot.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
People really thought they would do the Greek stuff ? Even Cory must be ashamed of that stuff and he may have pushed for the Norse saga lol.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Damn I was hoping it'd be their take on the Greek stories so that Sony would have an excuse to remaster the original trilogy and re-release it

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Throw a beard on him and I could see it! That being said I really think they should let Christopher Judge do it. He has the voice and physique. He has TV experience. Just shave his head and paint him white and there's Kratos.

Doesn't he have some sort of physical health issues that could prevent him from doing it? I recall him talking about it and how it lead to the delay of Ragnarok.

Nov 19, 2019
He's 70, people always fan cast actors 20+ years older than they probably need to be.
EDIT: Mickey Rourke was mostly a joke suggestion, but...

I actually would be very down for genuinely old Kratos. His attitude in the Norse games is extremely "old ass dude". Also gods can be whatever age (as we see in the range from Heimdall looking 20-nothing, Freya sorta in the middle somewhere, old Odin, Angrboda maybe an eternal teen? etc etc.)

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Did we already know Sony wanted to make a GOW tv show from a while back?

Edit: yes we did, back in May

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Throw a beard on him and I could see it! That being said I really think they should let Christopher Judge do it. He has the voice and physique. He has TV experience. Just shave his head and paint him white and there's Kratos.

I'm not sure his body could hold up for what is going to be asked of the person playing Kratos. During Ragnarok's development he had to have surgery on his back and knee, and had to have both hips replaced. It's going to be a very physical role. And while Judge does the performance capture, the action is handled by someone else.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I've said this also when people ask why they keep trying to adapt anime to live action, but the value is that it brings the IP and concept/story to an audience that otherwise would have never engaged with it. As much as it sucks to say, there is a significantly large audience that would be interested in this story if it wasn't in a video game format because they have no interest in video games (or comic books, or anime, or whatever). Couple that with the bump these shows can bring to the games when they're well done (see The Witcher and Cyberpunk: Edgerunners) and the value is pretty obvious.
Cyberpunk Edgerunners and Arcane have value because they tell a story that we haven't seen before. If they did that with God of War, I'd be all for it.