greengr

Dec 3, 2018
I was cracking up at MechaGodzilla's moves in that last fight. Was that supposed to be funny? Like, when he threw Godzilla against a building and kneed him in the chest? Or taking Godzilla and running his head straight into several buildings in a row.
funny thing is MechaGodizlla was supposed to be controlled by the severed ai stupid head of Ghirodah or something like that i guess

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah i know that and i know about the dispute between Legendary and WB about the HBO Max release,lets not pretend any studio is gonna throw 200mil+ for a Kaiju movie anytime soon
well so far this movie has been a success in the International market, the money is there and people like to watch them even if they aren't reviewed well

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
well so far this movie has been a success in the International market, the money is there and people like to watch them even if they aren't reviewed well
the money is really not there,its gonna be a surprise if the movie surpass the dissapointing box-office of King of Monsters and even if China carries the movie the percentage the studio gets is way lower that domestic(US) so in the end it doesnt matter,the hbo max viewership metric might play a factor if the numbers are really,really good but still again dont think any studio would throw that kind of money if the project is not a surefire hit like a MCU movie

p.s. we are lucky we even got this movie tbh,movie was shot before King of Monsters was released and i dont think we would even got this movie if the studio saw the reception of King of Monsters

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
So what was the deal with the trailers making such a big deal about Kong and 'Zilla's species being "ancient enemies" when it was just ended up being background imagery?

RunningMan

Oct 29, 2017
That was entertaining as fuck. I would say the human element was annoying but it wasn't as bad as the previous movies. It was tolerable. But I don't understand how the humans transmitting information from Hollow Earth would be able to power the mecha? Has probably been answered in here but I'm in a hurry and couldn't read much.

RIP Hong Kong. City absolutely rekt.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
They finally nailed the monster action sequences with this. Felt Pacific Rim level in the last 30 mins (which are fantastic).

Also there were a lot of awesome shots in this movie. The fighter pilot taking off from the carrier as Kong tries to grab at him, the camera doing a 360 during that same fight while the rockets fly around, Kong jumping across the gravity field in the Hollow Earth, etc. Really visually impressive in that regard.

And having just watched the original King Kong vs Godzilla just before I appreciated the handful of references I picked up on. Most notably Kong stuffing the tree down Zilla's throat and then having Skarsssgard's character throw a rock at the bird monster which is how Kong mostly tries to fight Godzilla in the '63 film.

Really fun movie when it's the monsters on screen, and bums me out we probably won't get more.

Where could they go with it now? They killed off all the other monsters in the last Godzilla
Facts. I'd be down for Space Godzilla vs. Godzilla next.

Space Godzilla was also my hope watching this haha. When Kong activates the Godzilla energy shit with the axe, I had the the thought that they could have some shit like it sending out an energy signature into space that awakens Space Godzilla.

Or when the Ghidorah skull seemed to take over MechaGodzilla, I was hoping he'd stay alive somehow and rebuild himself as the actual MechaGhidorah in a potential sequel.

Edit: Also damn this made me want a new Godzilla arena fighter game like Destroy All Monsters Melee again. This movie alone had like 5 awesome arenas they could use!!

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
I love the monster fights in this movie, but the level of absurdity and going past the realm of believability hits pretty hard. There's much more fantasy than sciene in this science fiction. Like a ancient throne room and court for kaiju with a door and a key that unlocks energy with the axe made from the dorsal fin of one of Godzilla's dead ancestor's?!

And this is with me accepting that the empty skull of King Ghidora can control MechaGodzilla because it happened in "Godzilla against Mechagodzilla".

It's too bad Kong and Godzilla didn't fight inside hollow earth, what with the gravity split down the middle in the sky. That would have been fun too watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol Mechagodzilla doing some serious shoryuken style flippity punch plus hadouken to G'dawg. This movie is really fun!

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Top Monsterverse movies

1.) Godzilla vs. Kong (8.5/10) - Absurd story, humans are 'meh', but with the best monster fights ever put to screen. We're talking Pacific Rim meets WWE. Could watch the last hour again and again.

2.) Kong: Skull Island (8/10) - Almost a tie because the human story is actually pretty good this time. Cohesively the best movie if not the most entertaining.

3.) Godzilla (2014) (7/10) - Good cinematography and decent story, but Aaron Taylor-Johnson's wooden acting ruins it and too many Godzilla teases that cut off.

4.) Godzilla: King of the monsters (7/10) - Good monster fights that are slightly ruined by always being blurred due to being at night or in the rain. Humans are the worst in the series. I hated all of them. Great soundtrack. The best.

At the end, I was half-expecting Godzilla to put his hand out and help Kong stand up before he walked away. I would be absurd, but fit with the tone of the movie.

Last edited:

cephus

Oct 28, 2017
I really loved the pacing of the movie, felt like it was the perfect length and the fight scenes had plenty of meat to them. I really hope this isn't the last of the monsterverse movies, this was the best so far in my opinion. Just the Hollow Earth stuff has so many possibilities for other kaiju that could wake up, so hopefully we'll get another movie soon.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Silly stupid movie. I only really disliked Millie Bobby Brown's stuff. Seemed like they kept her around just because she has star power and name recognition. Every time the movie flashed to her, I was bored. The other human stuff was fine. Sure, it's all nonsense super-science, but whatever.

Love that Mechagodzilla's main advantage was just longer arms lol.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Well that was really terrible. Not even worth writing 200 words nitpicking all of the super stupid stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda hated it. Really didn't enjoy anything about this movie. I dunno, just felt like a cobbled together mess and nothing worked.

Last edited:

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Man what happened to the gritty tone of Godzilla 2014. That was the best part of that movie. This movie was garbage.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine if this is the end of the Monsterverse -- I'm not really sure where they could go from here anyway.

The back half of the movie is pretty good -- all the stuff about getting Kong to Hollow Earth was kinda tedious.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Where could they go with it now? They killed off all the other monsters in the last Godzilla

Human pollution and messing thing up

Hedorah or biolante fixing the miatake by teing to wipe out humanity

Ghidorah awakening or keeping the Ghidorah head, allow the Alien to track and find earth
Bring with then Gigan, and their own take on Godzilla aka. Space Godzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Human pollution and messing thing up

Hedorah or biolante fixing the miatake by teing to wipe out humanity

Ghidorah awakening or keeping the Ghidorah head, allow the Alien to track and find earth
Bring with then Gigan, and their own take on Godzilla aka. Space Godzilla
They already got Gigan's design ready from the KOTM's artwork.

godzilla-kotm-screen-shot-2019-06-04-at-30954-pm-1173764.jpeg

I'd personally pick something like Hedorah or Biollante for the next Godzilla villain.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
They all got their asses beat.

Mecha was crazy OP though.

They seriously can not figure out what to do with humans in these movies.

I would have preferred they just had the little girl signing with Kong the whole movie with random news reports following all the action.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two hilarious things about this movie:

Mechagodzilla only loses because a kid pours liquid onto a computer console.

The logo for the APEX corporation is strangely similar to the real-life APEX company that produces budget-priced DVD/BluRay players. I was seriously wondering if this was some kind of weird product placement deal:

31JTDYKQ6ML._AC_SX466_.jpg

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Two hilarious things about this movie:

Mechagodzilla only loses because a kid pours liquid onto a computer console.

The logo for the APEX corporation is strangely similar to the real-life APEX company that produces budget-priced DVD/BluRay players. I was seriously wondering if this was some kind of weird product placement deal:

31JTDYKQ6ML._AC_SX466_.jpg

I used to buy Apex DVD players because they were easy to mod to play any region DVDs just so I could import and watch Toho Godzilla DVDs.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to buy Apex DVD players because they were easy to mod to play any region DVDs just so I could import and watch Toho Godzilla DVDs.
Huh -- I guess they may have chosen that name and made a really similar logo because it hits some nostalgia buttons for GenX/Millenial Godzilla fans. I was thinking that it was just some ham-fisted symbolism -- "They want humans to be the Apex species -- get it?"

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Huh -- I guess they may have chosen that name and made a really similar logo because it hits some nostalgia buttons for GenX/Millenial Godzilla fans. I was thinking that it was just some ham-fisted symbolism -- "They want humans to be the Apex species -- get it?"

I'm pretty sure it's the later lol.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will ask again how the fuck there is sunlight in the Hollow Earth?
I was thinking that the Hollow Earth's sun was going to end up being the huge, gigantic glowing energy source that Apex was looking for. I guess it didn't pan out that way, but I was surprised that they didn't explain it at all. I wonder if the Hollow Earth has day/night cycles?

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Silly stupid movie. I only really disliked Millie Bobby Brown's stuff. Seemed like they kept her around just because she has star power and name recognition. Every time the movie flashed to her, I was bored. The other human stuff was fine. Sure, it's all nonsense super-science, but whatever.

Love that Mechagodzilla's main advantage was just longer arms lol.

Opposite for me. Millie Bobby Brown stuff was interesting and funny. I get that we know what the mystery of Apex was, but it was just entertaining and had a few funny moments. The 2 scientists were pretty lame, but Jia made it better.

Also, KOTM and this movie had the best child characters in the entire Godzilla franchise. MBB was perfectly fine in KOTM and did her part to contribute to the plot and action. This movie works the same, and scenes with Jia and Kong were really sweet.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much my feelings. Everything except her scenes were good.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So much fun. The fights were fantastic, you rooted and felt for Kong. They really humanized him. You just wanted him to be happy and at peace. I thought the relationship with him and the girl was really well done.

The ending fight was fucking nuts, I was practically jumping out off my coach when godzilla charged up the axe and kong sliced mecha up. It was great, 10 year old me would have lost my fucking mind. They did my boy Kong right, #TeamKong

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's the later lol.
I would chalk it up as a coincidence, if not for the fact that the logos are so similar. The APEX logo in the movie also has the logo in all caps, with letter "E" designed as three horizontal parallel lines not connected by a fourth vertical line. I'm too lazy to do a screencap, but you can see it around 7:21 if you watch the movie on HBO Max.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking that the Hollow Earth's sun was going to end up being the huge, gigantic glowing energy source that Apex was looking for. I guess it didn't pan out that way, but I was surprised that they didn't explain it at all. I wonder if the Hollow Earth has day/night cycles?

I mean that's one of the stupid things about the movie, because it likely WAS and IS a real tangible energy source that could be used....but idiot daughter just went with the first weird energy they came across and then got scared from some shaking and some bats.

It's kind of annoying how mustache twirling the villains were. There's room for nuance when it comes to why you'd want to capture a new energy source or safeguard the world from kaiju, but naw, you gotta be CARTOONISHLY evil.

Oh well, it's the human stuff that was silly in this movie.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Millie Bobbie Brown was fine in King of The Monsters, when she was still a kid. Her undying faith in Godzilla was endearing and charming.

In Kong Vs Godzilla though, I found her to be kind of an annoying know-it-all teenager. She just seems like a frustrating conspiracy theorist, rather than someone who loves Godzilla.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like another subplot that was cut for pacing. They don't even bother explaining Kong's axe and why it has a Godzilla spine on it.

Pretty sure that's self explanatory.

Godzilla Species and Kong Species were enemies.

During that war whenever they killed a Godzilla they would take their fins and use them to create axes to kill more Godzilla's.