• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LinkMaster111

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't even understand the desire for Goku in Smash, he's not a video game character and the game is literally all about video game characters.

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't even understand the desire for Goku in Smash, he's not a video game character and the game is literally all about video game characters.
How is this said over and over again when we've had over a dozen threads with people listing off his video game resume and many different reasons why. Like, what's the point of this conversation then?

And I swear to God if someone replies to this with "Batman has a video game resume".

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
How many fighting games have you played? You were probably upset with Phoenix Wrights inclusion in Tatsunoko vs Capcom right? I mean a lawyer fight a fighting a futuristic Robot Hunter in Zero is just total bullshit. How are they gonna half ass Zero like that! He should be able to cut Phoenix Wright easy.
Nice job citing the character that's consistently top tier in every fighting game he's shown up in. And I've played enough fighting games to know Phoenix Wright wasn't in TvC.
Man I remember playing Marvel vs Capcom 2. I was so pissed they half assed characters like Thanos and Spiderman. the Son of the Devil himself Blackheart, etc. because Ryu was able to fight equally with them. Man that was some bullshit. Like how would a human who can't even destroy a car fight with these guys?
Your point would come across better if the Street Fighter characters weren't explicitly turbo-charged compared to their source incarnation specifically in response to having to go up against Marvel's ridiculous roster, as a directly stated design intention by the developer.
I honestly don't understand. You don't need him to fly except for short burst if needed, you don't need him punching holes into mountains, you don't need him blasting world shattering Ki Blast every second, etc. Have you played Dragon Ball games? I'm honestly so confused by your statements. In DBZ Legend of Goku, Goku wasn't flying around destroying everything in his path, but he was Goku. In Dragon Ball Budokai, Goku couldn't even fly, but he was Goku. Fans understand the limitations a character has.

There's also ways to balance a character. Things like a Ki Bar, recharge meter, etc.

There's arguments for not having Goku in the game, him being so overpowered Sakurai and his team would be unable to balance him is underestimating the team.

Edit: And you don't need to include SS Goku or SSG Goku or anything. Keep him at Base, that's the Goku everyone knows. For Final Smash just do Kaioken or Spirit Bomb. Sakurai would have plenty of options to choose from to best fit the game.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible to make any number of a million different choices to bring Goku to a reasonable level. Where I'm apprehensive is taking Sakurai's team's own work as a proof of their capabilities. Snake, Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta tell me they have no problem making a character stronger than the majority of the cast if they feel it makes them more true to the character.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Nice job citing the character that's consistently top tier in every fighting game he's shown up in. And I've played enough fighting games to know Phoenix Wright wasn't in TvC.

Your point would come across better if the Street Fighter characters weren't explicitly turbo-charged compared to their source incarnation specifically in response to having to go up against Marvel's ridiculous roster, as a directly stated design intention by the developer.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible to make any number of a million different choices to bring Goku to a reasonable level. Where I'm apprehensive is taking Sakurai's team's own work as a proof of their capabilities. Snake, Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta tell me they have no problem making a character stronger than the majority of the cast if they feel it makes them more true to the character.
I don't think they made those characters overpowered as some kind of deliberate decision to buff them up too much. Smash has such a huge roster that it's basically impossible for it to be truly balanced at this point, especially at the highest levels of play.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Just so ya'll know, Sakurai laughed at the very mention of Goku getting in.

It's not happening.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is this said over and over again when we've had over a dozen threads with people listing off his video game resume and many different reasons why. Like, what's the point of this conversation then?

And I swear to God if someone replies to this with "Batman has a video game resume".

What's wrong with that reply? Batman is more famous then Goku and has had just as many games?

Why shouldn't he be in instead? Or Spider-Man? Or James Bond? Or anyone else? Why Goku of all characters? Because of some really old Famicom commercial?

I swear Super already put a strain on my enjoyment of this character. But this bizarre rally for him in Smash has just made me fucking hate him.

Vegeta for life.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Your absolutely right. Confused that with MvC3. My bad man. But my point was different characters with different power levels in their respective canons can work if developers want them too. That was it. You find a way to pay homage to their movesets and make them fun, but at the same time make them balanced. Some fighters aim for more balance, some don't.

I was also trying to make a point that Thanos still felt like Thanos and didn't feel half-assed. Cable felt like Cable and didn't feel half-assed. Storm, Wolverine, Hulk, Gambit, Sentinel, different power levels in the comics, but in the game they felt true to their characters without feeling half-assed.

You implied the only way for Goku to be balanced was to make him half-assed. I'm saying that's not true. It's not his power level that makes him Goku. Its his personality and signature moves. Instant transmission, Ki Blast, Kamehamaha, Spirit Bomb, and Kaioken. You don't need Dragon Balls, you don't need Super Saiyan or God, you don't need to break reality because Goku's never done that in the show, and for flight you can just have a short hover burst.

Goku has fought in plenty of exhibitions, in plenty of tournaments, you think he powers up to max every time? Naw he enjoys a good fight and drawing it out, and doesn't go full power until the end. Fans would understand. They've played plenty of games where Goku felt like Goku but was balanced.

Earlier it sounded like you were saying the only way Goku would be balanced is if he was "half-assed", but maybe I misread and I'll go back and re-read it (if thats the case I'm sorry). But it sounds like your problem is more with Sakurai then. Personally I'd say trust him and his team. If they feel like Goku is a bad fit so be it. If they feel like they can make him work great. I think Bayonetta and Cloud will hopefully be re-balanced by the time of the games launch as well, but we'll see what happens. Hopefully :/.

Personally I would rather have my boy Sora but it is what it is lol. This game is already full of tons of amazing characters to play I'm happy.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I want Goku in Smash just to see some of the posters reaction especially the ones that are so adamant that Goku will never get in. I can definitely see gaming side of Era turning upside down.

If he ever gets in it will be a joy to be in Era.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Goku should never be in Smash.

But if it ever did happen I'd only want kid Goku.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Why would he even mention it?

Not like he'd be allowed to confirm it anyway.

Shouldnt be a surprise.
I really don't want them to open this can of worms. As soon as Goku would be put in Smash, EVERY anime character would, and it'd be more of an anime cross over fighting game rather than a game related one.

Nope. Goku is a special case. That's like saying every third party gets in now just cuz Nintendo let some in.

-------

I'd prefer Kid Goku, but I'll take either.

I don't think it'll happen but I still think it's possible.

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with that reply? Batman is more famous then Goku and has had just as many games?

Why shouldn't he be in instead? Or Spider-Man? Or James Bond? Or anyone else? Why Goku of all characters? Because of some really old Famicom commercial?

I swear Super already put a strain on my enjoyment of this character. But this bizarre rally for him in Smash has just made me fucking hate him.

Vegeta for life.
Why should I answer this when I've written it out over a dozen times only for people like you to condescendingly cherrypick them?

Shouldnt be a surprise.
I really don't want them to open this can of worms. As soon as Goku would be put in Smash, EVERY anime character would, and it'd be more of an anime cross over fighting game rather than a game related one.
That's like saying Snake would lead to Sam Fisher, James Bond and Agent 47. Don't state your own paranoia as fact.

Oct 25, 2017
Really never understood why people were expecting him to show up. Smash is a celebration of video game history, and Goku's origins have nothing to do with video games. Just because there've been a few DB games on Nintendo platforms doesn't change that.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I want Goku in Smash just to see some of the posters reaction especially the ones that are so adamant that Goku will never get in. I can definitely see gaming side of Era turning upside down.

If he ever gets in it will be a joy to be in Era.
I'd be fine if he gets in, it's just not realistic and I expect it to never happen. Smash discourse always turns from wanting a character to expecting a character and when those expectations aren't meant because people don't understand what Smash Bros is or how the process works and then it turns into internet rage. The devs got harassed over not putting in Waluigi for fucks sake. It's gotten ridiculous at this point. Play DBFZ if you want to play Goku in a fighting game or play Jump Force if you really want to see him in a crossover.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they made those characters overpowered as some kind of deliberate decision to buff them up too much. Smash has such a huge roster that it's basically impossible for it to be truly balanced at this point, especially at the highest levels of play.
I'm pretty sure they didn't go in making those characters like that thinking "they should stomp the competition" but rather "this is how we know the character to be, so it feels right making them like this". The difference being, one is explicitly thinking of the character in terms of being part of roster and directly addressing balance, the other is about fulfilling a fantasy with balance issues as a side-effect. That and the fact rosters this size almost demand imbalanced tiers due to the near impossibility of actually testing every scenario.
Your absolutely right. Confused that with MvC3. My bad man. But my point was different characters with different power levels in their respective canons can work if developers want them too. That was it. You find a way to pay homage to their movesets and make them fun, but at the same time make them balanced. Some fighters aim for more balance, some don't.

I was also trying to make a point that Thanos still felt like Thanos and didn't feel half-assed. Cable felt like Cable and didn't feel half-assed. Storm, Wolverine, Hulk, Gambit, Sentinel, different power levels in the comics, but in the game they felt true to their characters without feeling half-assed.

You implied the only way for Goku to be balanced was to make him half-assed. I'm saying that's not true. It's not his power level that makes him Goku. Its his personality and signature moves. Instant transmission, Ki Blast, Kamehamaha, Spirit Bomb, and Kaioken. You don't need Dragon Balls, you don't need Super Saiyan or God, you don't need to break reality because Goku's never done that in the show, and for flight you can just have a short hover burst.

Goku has fought in plenty of exhibitions, in plenty of tournaments, you think he powers up to max every time? Naw he enjoys a good fight and drawing it out, and doesn't go full power until the end. Fans would understand. They've played plenty of games where Goku felt like Goku but was balanced.

Earlier it sounded like you were saying the only way Goku would be balanced is if he was "half-assed", but maybe I misread and I'll go back and re-read it (if thats the case I'm sorry). But it sounds like your problem is more with Sakurai then. Personally I'd say trust him and his team. If they feel like Goku is a bad fit so be it. If they feel like they can make him work great. I think Bayonetta and Cloud will hopefully be re-balanced by the time of the games launch as well, but we'll see what happens. Hopefully :/.

Personally I would rather have my boy Sora but it is what it is lol. This game is already full of tons of amazing characters to play I'm happy.
I think I said something about half-assed, in reference to the fact that besides the risk of making him too strong there's the possibility of straying too far from the qualities that make Goku feel like Goku. The only thing really half-assed was that train of thought, so I'll leave it because it's a big waste of time to speculate about a completely malleable thing.

The core thing I guess is I don't need Smash to be focused on super-popular characters, because there's already enough media entertainment centering around those characters while Smash is an opportunity to give us playable characters who otherwise have next to no chance of receiving such a lavish treatment. Playable Ridley and KRool is precisely the kind of thing only Smash will ever deliver. Meanwhile, I feel confident in saying Goku will inevitably appear in a stellar platform fighter (he already has, depending on how you feel about JUS), be it Smash or not. Hell, I don't even believe Smash will ever get away from the Goku requests. I would just feel better about his inclusion if it didn't seem so out of place. There's been no ambiguity that Smash has a "video games" focus, going as far as being explicitly stated by the series creator. Why does it have to be a federal issue that Goku can't join the battle if that's what Sakurai wants? <(aimed at everyone, not just you)

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The core thing I guess is I don't need Smash to be focused on super-popular characters, because there's already enough media entertainment centering around those characters while Smash is an opportunity to give us playable characters who otherwise have next to no chance of receiving such a lavish treatment. Playable Ridley and KRool is precisely the kind of thing only Smash will ever deliver. Meanwhile, I feel confident in saying Goku will inevitably appear in a stellar platform fighter (he already has, depending on how you feel about JUS), be it Smash or not. Hell, I don't even believe Smash will ever get away from the Goku requests. I would just feel better about his inclusion if it didn't seem so out of place. There's been no ambiguity that Smash has a "video games" focus, going as far as being explicitly stated by the series creator. Why does it have to be a federal issue that Goku can't join the battle if that's what Sakurai wants? <(aimed at everyone, not just you)

I think what your saying is reasonable tbh. Goku is a popular character and has many fighting games, and video games in general, but for some characters Smash is probably the only chance they'll have to be relevant again. It makes sense.