Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love Dragon Ball, I love FighterZ, I love english voiced Goku (Japanese screechy granny can get in the bin), but Goku has about as much of a place in Smash as James Bond. He's not a game character. He's a TV character who has been in games.

Now stop this shit incase Sakurai is listening and help me get Banjo and Kazooie in.

Why noth both?

/s

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding that endlessly regarding Goku debate, I gotta say I'm a traditionalist and prefer it videogamey in Smash.

Do another Jump Superstars sequel and make it vs Nintendo All Stars. Shit has been overdue.
I'd pay full price for full-size character expansions. The core game and development remains Nintendo, but inter-company relationships get formed like crazy.

imagine 5-10 characters per pack, with additional Nintendo characters also being added

Smash Bros. vs Capcom
Smash Bros. vs Jump Superstars
Smash Bros. vs Disney and Warner Bros.

Sakurai will never get any sleep

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'd pay full price for full-size character expansions. The core game and development remains Nintendo, but inter-company relationships get formed like crazy.

imagine 5-10 characters per pack, with additional Nintendo characters also being added

Smash Bros. vs Capcom
Smash Bros. vs Jump Superstars
Smash Bros. vs Disney and Warner Bros.

Sakurai will never get any sleep
Oh my god

The Animaniacs, but they play like a three-person Ice Climbers

OH MY GOD

Oct 25, 2017
The world waits in baited breath as they witness the trailer for the big Nintendo & Shonen Jump crossover

And it turns out to be an RPG.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this a thread.

Because for as many people that are hopeful for the long shot that is Goku in Smash, there are way, way more know-it-alls out there that won't rest until all those people know just how incorrect they are to think that this is even remotely possible.

Last edited:

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
People are actually pestering Sean about this stupid shit now? lmao Jesus.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god

The Animaniacs, but they play like a three-person Ice Climbers

OH MY GOD
They'd have to master asymmetrical tag-teams like with Dixie and Diddy/Kiddy first, but that's an ambitious idea.

I would mainly love Smash to infinity for hosting Marvel vs DC fights.

If there was any game I would pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for, it would be Smash Bros with infinite content.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just image the rocks final smash

He lines every body up on the floor of the stage and it turns into a wrestling ring. He kicks their shoulder and begins to slide off his elbow pad... my god I can see it now.
It'd definitely be something more like

"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT GAME YOU'RE FROM"

and everyone instantly dies.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny to me that people genuinely even want him in the game in the first place.

But honestly the people getting overly srs business about why he won't be in are even funnier to me. Like no shit, we all know he ain't. Now stop being mad lol

Oct 25, 2017
It's their cocky attitude that they're so sure he's getting in, and their immense mental gymnastics when someone tells them the reasons why he won't.
"He's been in so many games", "licensing isn't an issue", "he matters more to gaming history for reasons", "here's this old Super Famicom commercial with Goku and Mario together", "Cloud got in, anyone can get in" and so on and so on
We want him in and think he's worthy of a spot, we're not cocky or sure he's getting in. Don't project a tone on us for you to get mad at.

With that said, Goku is definitely getting in and there's nothing you can do about it ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa!!!

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
So why is it always Goku? Why doesn't Batman or Hello Kitty get the kind of treatment that Goku gets every time a new Smash is announced? They have about the same chances seeing as how they have "history in video games".

Oct 25, 2017
So why is it always Goku? Why doesn't Batman or Hello Kitty get the kind of treatment that Goku gets every time a new Smash is announced? They have about the same chances seeing as how they have "history in video games".
Because you guys like to cherrypick the Goku reasons. We could list 10 and contextualize and then you'll be like "well Batman had an SNES game" as if that was the only thing we said.

So my actual answer is I'm not doing this shit again.

If you want to push Hello Kitty and Batman, go right ahead. I don't get mad at other people for wanting things.

Last edited:

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Because more people want Goku.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
Like, on paper, I'm not even opposed to seeing Goku in smash. It's not like I dislike the character.
There's just a few too many confounding factors at play. The first thing is that banged-on about line in the sand about what Smash represents. It's not just about this notion of purity, you can look at the fan discussions and still see several unfulfilled fan-requests that predate this Goku fever by a decade and more. You've got a very excellent game starring Goku out right now, it's even coming to Nintendo's ecosystem for a change. You've got several platform fighters already featuring Goku. How many fighting games are you gonna have where you can play Shulk, Ridley, Wolf? Is it going to be another half-decade or two for Dixie or Rhythm Heaven or Geno's chance? Has Smash not become the household name it is today thanks to the Nintendo fervor?

But let's set that aside, what about how Goku would actually play out? This character who's been set up as the ever increasingly strong, peer to Superman in ability, almost undefeatable demi-god warrior who's used to casually razing mountains with a sweep of a palm. How do you represent this? He can fly, throw immensely destructive beams, fight at the speed of sound. So what do you do? Does he fight on par with Ryu, guy who can't even total a car in a single hit? Does he throws kicks and punches that struggle to fling opponents outside the arena, let alone through the local geography? In the series where one of the oft-lauded design traits is staying true to the source material? Or do we get a character that trivializes everything else on the character select screen? Or maybe we get Goku from late-OG Dragonball, maybe even Kid Goku? No flashy juggles or teleportation, none of the transformations or world-ending signature moves. Maybe most fans actually just like Goku's personality, so it doesn't really matter how he fights?

I'd be much happier seeing him in a hypothetical reboot of the series in the next installment, as it's been strongly implied that we're not going to keep all this content going forward. Smash could start fresh and re-establish its identity where Star Power is the end-all, be-all at a later date.

I don't want Smash as it is today to be the thing where what matters is how many retweets are you gonna get with your newcomer announcement. Granted, this might just be the necessary evil when it comes to DLC, business is business. Goku is not impossible, maybe improbable? I don't know anymore.
Should be Luffy instead :P

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How do you represent this? He can fly, throw immensely destructive beams, fight at the speed of sound. So what do you do?

Have you played other Dragon Ball fighting games? In most Goku doesn't even fly or travel at the speed of sound. You look at his moves and make him balanced.

Does he fight on par with Ryu, guy who can't even total a car in a single hit? Does he throws kicks and punches that struggle to fling opponents outside the arena, let alone through the local geography? In the series where one of the oft-lauded design traits is staying true to the source material? Or do we get a character that trivializes everything else on the character select screen? Or maybe we get Goku from late-OG Dragonball, maybe even Kid Goku? No flashy juggles or teleportation, none of the transformations or world-ending signature moves. Maybe most fans actually just like Goku's personality, so it doesn't really matter how he fights?

Bro, all the Smash characters aren't equal in power level compared to their games, but Smash does a decent job in balancing them.

You have Bayonetta, a Witch who's fought and killed Angels and Gods, who uses her hair to summon giant Hair beasts, who uses guns, who can stop time in the blink of an eye, etc.

Then you have Mario, a plumber who can jump.

Then you R.O.B., a robot built to show off the NES.

Then you have Pichu, a pokemon I don't even bother to capture. See my point?

As for how he fights, you keep it simple, Base Goku, Final Smash is a spirit bomb or some super kamehaha or kaioken. He punches and kicks, limit the amount he can use ki blasts based on time, give him instant transmission, etc. It wouldn't be that hard.

Oct 25, 2017
Like, on paper, I'm not even opposed to seeing Goku in smash. It's not like I dislike the character.
There's just a few too many confounding factors at play. The first thing is that banged-on about line in the sand about what Smash represents. It's not just about this notion of purity, you can look at the fan discussions and still see several unfulfilled fan-requests that predate this Goku fever by a decade and more. You've got a very excellent game starring Goku out right now, it's even coming to Nintendo's ecosystem for a change. You've got several platform fighters already featuring Goku. How many fighting games are you gonna have where you can play Shulk, Ridley, Wolf? Is it going to be another half-decade or two for Dixie or Rhythm Heaven or Geno's chance? Has Smash not become the household name it is today thanks to the Nintendo fervor?

But let's set that aside, what about how Goku would actually play out? This character who's been set up as the ever increasingly strong, peer to Superman in ability, almost undefeatable demi-god warrior who's used to casually razing mountains with a sweep of a palm. How do you represent this? He can fly, throw immensely destructive beams, fight at the speed of sound. So what do you do? Does he fight on par with Ryu, guy who can't even total a car in a single hit? Does he throws kicks and punches that struggle to fling opponents outside the arena, let alone through the local geography? In the series where one of the oft-lauded design traits is staying true to the source material? Or do we get a character that trivializes everything else on the character select screen? Or maybe we get Goku from late-OG Dragonball, maybe even Kid Goku? No flashy juggles or teleportation, none of the transformations or world-ending signature moves. Maybe most fans actually just like Goku's personality, so it doesn't really matter how he fights?

I'd be much happier seeing him in a hypothetical reboot of the series in the next installment, as it's been strongly implied that we're not going to keep all this content going forward. Smash could start fresh and re-establish its identity where Star Power is the end-all, be-all at a later date.

I don't want Smash as it is today to be the thing where what matters is how many retweets are you gonna get with your newcomer announcement. Granted, this might just be the necessary evil when it comes to DLC, business is business. Goku is not impossible, maybe improbable? I don't know anymore.
Should be Luffy instead :P
I just want to kamehameha Mario, it's not that deep. "Keep Smash pure" people crack me up. Goku isn't going to lead Shrek or Spongebob.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people want an anime character in a franchise that celebrates videogames with a certain bacon number from nintendo? Its just straight up silly!

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Sakurai made it clear he wanted characters that originated from video games.
Sakurai did want James Bond back in the day, really if Nintendo can make a deal with Shueisha/Toei etc, i could see it happening because the demand is huge, but only as DLC, which is pretty much players paying for the license.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Sakurai did want James Bond back in the day, really if Nintendo can make a deal with Shueisha/Toei etc, i could see it happening because the demand is huge, but only as DLC, which is pretty much players paying for the license.

Yeah I easily forget that was a thing. Still think all the clamoring for Goku is annoying despite having no problems if he actually makes it.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
You basically already have Goku as Ryu. He's muscular and shoots kamehameha-like energy.

50 Cent was in a video game and he's a world famous rapper. He should get into Smash Bros over Goku!

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Don't Bandai Namco have the video game rights and and Toei probably gets a certain fee per year or by a on game basis?

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Negan is in Tekken, nothing could surprise me. I'm 100% down for Goku in Smash, in fact I'd love it.

b00

Oct 28, 2017
Well we have had sonic since brawl so that's like a poor mans vida gaem ver of goku, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why would the VA be perplexed that Nintendo didn't contact him unless there was something already in the works with the japanese va

:thonk:

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
And people said Cloud represented the Final Fantasy series... Nah, he's too big for that to the point where his game is consider a series.
uCKbNIJ.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Goku doesn't belong in smash, period.
I'm not gonna be mad wether he gets announced or not. He's not a video game icon, but a manga/anime one.

Leave that for an all star anime smash game with doraemon, goku, sailor moon, luffy, cardcaptor sakura etc. That would actually be great.

Feb 24, 2018
I don't really get the hate to the idea of Goku being in the game, like with Tekken fans who hate the bears and anything silly, just not use the character and let others have their fun. I can take or leave Goku and if they decided to move into non game characters I don't see a problem in that (wouldn't mind Scrooge McDuck based on the famous NES game).