Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh, I don't give a flying fuck about that.

And that's not the sentiment I was responding to, anyway.
If you don't give a shit about video game relevance then Smash Bros. isn't for you, period. That's what the entire series is about. It isn't about crazy crossover time, it's a celebration of gaming history. That's the point.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Goku belongs in Smash as much as Ryu does.
giphy.gif

Oh wow.

Apr 16, 2018
If you don't give a shit about video game relevance then Smash Bros. isn't for you, period. That's what the entire series is about. It isn't about crazy crossover time, it's a celebration of gaming history. That's the point.

You sound so stupid right now.

I can't enjoy Smash Bros - a series I've been playing since the late 90s - because I think Goku would be a good edition?

I've been playing as Goku skins in Smash on Brawl + for years, bruh.

But it's not for me? Y'all just determined to look silly out here.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Would love Goku in Smash, don't expect it to happen.

I don't particularly care about the whole video game culture thing, but I understand why people would. For me though? Smash is just about a fun saturday afternoon with friends, some cheap drinks and playing with characters we like. The whole 'originated in a video game' thing doesn't really come into it for me. I love Smash because it has fun gameplay and characters I like, where the characters are from doesn't really factor into why I like the series at all.

That said I have zero expectation of Goku ever making it there because the creator has specifically mentioned not wanting manga characters in, rights negotiation sound like they'd be...not great, and I imagine there's no way in hell they'd want to make an expensive investment that could potentially backfire on them given how the fanbase is very protective of the whole video game culture aspect.

So like yeah, I get why people care about the whole "originated in a video game thing" I...don't. Like, there's negative amounts of fucks for how much I personally care. I'd be down for John Cena in Smash.

But I'll just settle for a modded Goku since that's all I'm ever gonna get lol

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
You sound so stupid right now.

I can't enjoy Smash Bros - a series I've been playing since the late 90s - because I think Goku would be a good edition?

I've been playing as Goku skins in Smash on Brawl + for years, bruh.

But it's not for me? Y'all just determined to look silly out here.
I mean, what exactly do you get out of Smash Bros if you don't give a shit about Cloud and Ryu?

Those are are important gaming characters. Both are heads of a paradigm shift in gaming.

Goku is the head of a paradigm shift in shonen manga and he just happens to be in some licensed games.

"I don't give a shit about Cloud and Ryu." Well guess what? Sakurai isn't entitled in giving you everything you want nor will he ever because Goku isn't a video game character.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Don't recall Cloud's actor being approached for Smash and look at what happened there... Mind you that's for entirely different reasons, and while I know Goku is not going to be in Smash, this wouldn't be the reason why I would say why.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goku fans are peak batshit.

Can anyone link me to some prime example of what Goku fans have done to deserve this scorn besides "request a character that is unlikely to appear in a video game due to series tradition"? Like just some thread here or on Twitter or anywhere that helps me understand why they're such loathsome souls?

Oct 31, 2017
(somebody probably already made this joke but I'm gonna make it again)

Of course he hasn't been approached... why would you ask the adult voice of goku to voice Kid Goku in smash :)

Oct 25, 2017
Negan is in Tekken. I'm pretty sure licensing a character that has been in more than his fair share of shovelware won't be too hard for Nintendo.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Negan is in Tekken. I'm pretty sure licensing a character that has been in more than his fair share of shovelware won't be too hard for Nintendo.
It doesn't really matter how hard it is when Nintendo has no desire to do it, including the person directing the game. Once Sakurai stops being in charge of Smash, Goku might get his chance.

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone link me to some prime example of what Goku fans have done to deserve this scorn besides "request a character that is unlikely to appear in a video game due to series tradition"? Like just some thread here or on Twitter or anywhere that helps me understand why they're such loathsome souls?

It's their cocky attitude that they're so sure he's getting in, and their immense mental gymnastics when someone tells them the reasons why he won't.
"He's been in so many games", "licensing isn't an issue", "he matters more to gaming history for reasons", "here's this old Super Famicom commercial with Goku and Mario together", "Cloud got in, anyone can get in" and so on and so on

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
i mean, that's some wild hyperbole there

i don't particularly care about the video game relevance when I play it, i care about the game being fun

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
i mean, that's some wild hyperbole there

i don't particularly care about the video game relevance when I play it, i care about the game being fun
That isn't hyperbole at all. That's literally the premise of Smash Bros. Sakurai has stated this many, many times himself and anyone that plays the games in any sort of extensive way can figure that out on their own already. Whether you give a shit about that or not is irrelevant.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I mean, what exactly do you get out of Smash Bros if you don't give a shit about Cloud and Ryu?

Those are are important gaming characters. Both are heads of a paradigm shift in gaming.

Goku is the head of a paradigm shift in shonen manga and he just happens to be in some licensed games.

"I don't give a shit about Cloud and Ryu." Well guess what? Sakurai isn't entitled in giving you everything you want nor will he ever because Goku isn't a video game character.

I'm not gonna answer for the guy you're quoting but your post is confusing me. What do you mean what you get out of the game?

It's a fun game lol even if you don't give much of a shit about half the cast, it's still fun. Unique game system, very good polish, awesome soundtrack, lots of things to like. The cast is a nice bonus, but if the game wasn't fun I wouldn't give a shit about it.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

I just like teasing them because internet.

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's their cocky attitude that they're so sure he's getting in, and their immense mental gymnastics when someone tells them the reasons why he won't.
"He's been in so many games", "licensing isn't an issue", "he matters more to gaming history for reasons", "here's this old Super Famicom commercial with Goku and Mario together", "Cloud got in, anyone can get in" and so on and so on

Is this a widespread thing on the internet though or is this selection bias?

Apr 16, 2018

... What?

Cloud is my main in Smash Bros. Just because I like Goku doesn't mean I don't like the other characters. That's just bizarre logic.

Sakurai has given me literally everything I've ever asked for. I was over the moon when Sonic joined the roster. Every Megaman is featured and even Zero is here. Like I've been saying over and over, if Goku joins, this game is GOTG for all generations, because it would have literally everything I've ever wanted in a video game. I'm still going to love it if he's not in it, but I want him to be in it.

I don't know where you got that I don't care about the other characters, niggas just want Goku.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna answer for the guy you're quoting but your post is confusing me. What do you mean what you get out of the game?

It's a fun game lol even if you don't give much of a shit about half the cast, it's still fun. Unique game system, very good polish, awesome soundtrack, lots of things to like. The cast is a nice bonus, but if the game wasn't fun I wouldn't give a shit about it.
Part of the fun of Smash Bros. is seeing characters from different gaming franchises duking it out. Goku isn't one of those characters. That's what most people get out of Smash Bros. "Oh I can be Link! Mario! Pikachu!" Of course at the same time most people don't really give a shit about the difference between video game-only or not, but Sakurai and Nintendo do hence why a character like Goku hasn't been added to a Smash Bros. game.
... What?

Cloud is my main in Smash Bros. Just because I like Goku doesn't mean I don't like the other characters. That's just bizarre logic.

Sakurai has given me literally everything I've ever asked for. I was over the moon when Sonic joined the roster. Every Megaman is featured and even Zero is here. Like I've been saying over and over, if Goku joins, this game is GOTG for all generations, because it would have literally everything I've ever wanted in a video game. I'm still going to love it if he's not in it, but I want him to be in it.

I don't know where you got that I don't care about the other characters, niggas just want Goku.
That's nice and all, but it still ain't happening and expecting it to happen is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018

lmao, been playing since 64, my 2nd favorite game series of all time, and you tell me the series isn't for me if I don't care about video game relevancy.

Big One, personally I always looked at Goku getting in as a pipe dream, I just enjoy piling on the meme like most of the fans do, but it's posts like this that make me hope so badly that Goku gets in.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Part of the fun of Smash Bros. is seeing characters from different gaming franchises duking it out. Goku isn't one of those characters. That's what most people get out of Smash Bros. "Oh I can be Link! Mario! Pikachu!" Of course at the same time most people don't really give a shit about the difference between video game-only or not, but Sakurai and Nintendo do hence why a character like Goku hasn't been added to a Smash Bros. game.

Nintendo gives a shit about it, sure? But there's literally no connection between that and the idea that someone who doesn't primarily play for the video game culture aspect can't enjoy the game. Like they could release a game that featured nothing but the fighting polygon team and I'd still be down with it.

Like yeah, a lot of people derive fun from the crossover fighter aspect, but for a lot of people it's just like "Yea this game is rad." There's plenty to like even if you don't care about most of the cast.

Plus yeah as you said a lot of people don't give a shit about video game only or not, to a lot of people the fun is just the crossover bit. So Goku would be rad for them (even if, let's be real, it ain't happening).

Like I'm not sure I'm following you here, because I'm not disagreeing with most of the things you're saying, just not sure how they connect to what you said at first so I think I'm misunderstanding something.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
You don't get to judge what game series are for other people to enjoy or not, period.
Especially one they've been playing for nearly 2 decades

Jan 10, 2018
I just gonna name drop some I would like to see

Frogger, Earthworm Jim, Travis, Rayman, Spyro, Scorpion, Chun Li, the Worms from Worms(lol) as assist trophy and with a stage and Crash.

Just imagine Rayman vs Spyro vs Mario vs Crash vs Sonic.

Oh and the Rabbids also deserve some rep. Atleast a stage.

just enjoy piling on the meme .... make me hope so badly

Pick one.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
By the way random curiosity, and I'm mildly joking here:

If Dracula is okay because he's a video game version of a public domain character, does that mean that we're good for WATSON CREEPS INTO SMASH?

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
lmao, been playing since 64, my 2nd favorite game series of all time, and you tell me the series isn't for me if I don't care about video game relevancy.

Big One, personally I always looked at Goku getting in as a pipe dream, I just enjoy piling on the meme like most of the fans do, but it's posts like this that make me hope so badly that Goku gets in.
Goku actually being in the game wouldn't piss me off so I'm unsure why you would want that to happen. I'd love it to happen because I love Dragon Ball. It just isn't happening. I'm not going to set my expectations high like that, sorry.
Nintendo gives a shit about it, sure? But there's literally no connection between that and the idea that someone who doesn't primarily play for the video game culture aspect can't enjoy the game. Like they could release a game that featured nothing but the fighting polygon team and I'd still be down with it.

Like yeah, a lot of people derive fun from the crossover fighter aspect, but for a lot of people it's just like "Yea this game is rad." There's plenty to like even if you don't care about most of the cast.

Plus yeah as you said a lot of people don't give a shit about video game only or not, to a lot of people the fun is just the crossover bit. So Goku would be rad for them (even if, let's be real, it ain't happening).

Like I'm not sure I'm following you here, because I'm not disagreeing with most of the things you're saying, just not sure how they connect to what you said at first so I think I'm misunderstanding something.
Ok think of it like this. Let's say Smash Bros. WAS a game with fighting polygons only, and you were a kid and you saw the box art on the shelf. Would you buy it? No you wouldn't, cause it'd mesh with all of the other shovelware and whatnot on the shelf. Smash Bros. is literally defined by it's crossover appeal, hence why people are even discussing Goku in Smash in the first place.

The problem with this is that it setups so many unrealistic expectations out of the franchise. It'd be like being hyped up for Kingdom Hearts III, but going into every thread asking for Shrek to be in the game. Shrek is an iconic cartoon character, so why not? Expect the game is a celebration of Disney history not a celebration of cartoon history.

It presents this notion that you don't give a shit about the premise of the game you're even playing. Basically it suggests that the game series you like has completely run out of material to use. This isn't the case whatsoever with Smash Bros., especially since so many games come out on a yearly basis including form Nintendo themselves. Like characters such as Spring Man aren't "good enough" for you so you want someone like Goku instead.

I see no problem with having this as a dream scenario, but people on these boards are treating it like it's something that can happen. I suppose that's true in the sense that it technically COULD happen. Anything that is in the realm of possibilities COULD happen, however you must use occam's razor in this situation and look at the most logical situation here regardless of what you want to happen because it "could happen."

On top of that, a lot of them are using jumps in logic to justify this which also follows the trend of anti-truth movements on the internet, which is always a dangerous territory to dip your toes in even if it's something as irrelevant as a video game. Something like that can be "for fun" can turn real nasty real fast.
You don't get to judge what game series are for other people to enjoy or not, period.
Especially one they've been playing for nearly 2 decades
But they can judge Sakurai for his creative decisions in a series he directs? Please. Sakurai doesn't owe them Goku, sorry.

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also think the "it opens up the floodgates for Shrek and Spongebob" is just a really lazy argument. It's not like letting in the likes of Sonic and Mega Man opened up the flood gates for third tier platformer mascots like Bubsy and Gex and Glover to get in because "sure, why not!?"

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
All I want is for there to be a slow reveal of Goku

Brief glimpses of his orange Gi

Camera pans up to his face

It's fucking Yamcha

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk though when's Sora getting in?

That would be tough too.
Though Sora is a video game character and would be cool to see, he's not owned by Square-Enix, he's owned by Disney. And while Nintendo and Disney have a fairly good relationship, trying to license their characters is not an easy feat.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Goku actually being in the game wouldn't piss me off so I'm unsure why you would want that to happen. I'd love it to happen because I love Dragon Ball. It just isn't happening. I'm not going to set my expectations high like that, sorry.

Ok think of it like this. Let's say Smash Bros. WAS a game with fighting polygons only, and you were a kid and you saw the box art on the shelf. Would you buy it? No you wouldn't, cause it'd mesh with all of the other shovelware and whatnot on the shelf. Smash Bros. is literally defined by it's crossover appeal, hence why people are even discussing Goku in Smash in the first place.

The problem with this is that it setups so many unrealistic expectations out of the franchise. It'd be like being hyped up for Kingdom Hearts III, but going into every thread asking for Shrek to be in the game. Shrek is an iconic cartoon character, so why not? Expect the game is a celebration of Disney history not a celebration of cartoon history.

It presents this notion that you don't give a shit about the premise of the game you're even playing. Basically it suggests that the game series you like has completely run out of material to use. This isn't the case whatsoever with Smash Bros., especially since so many games come out on a yearly basis including form Nintendo themselves. Like characters such as Spring Man aren't "good enough" for you so you want someone like Goku instead.

I see no problem with having this as a dream scenario, but people on these boards are treating it like it's something that can happen. I suppose that's true in the sense that it technically COULD happen. Anything that is in the realm of possibilities COULD happen, however you must use occam's razor in this situation and look at the most logical situation here regardless of what you want to happen because it "could happen."

On top of that, a lot of them are using jumps in logic to justify this which also follows the trend of anti-truth movements on the internet, which is always a dangerous territory to dip your toes in even if it's something as irrelevant as a video game. Something like that can be "for fun" can turn real nasty real fast.

See this is part of why people keep doing this. Because most of the people aren't serious.

Like we get it, hes a manga character, no need to extrapolate further than that.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I also think the "it opens up the floodgates for Shrek and Spongebob" is just a really lazy argument. It's not like letting in the likes of Sonic and Mega Man opened up the flood gates for third tier platformer mascots like Bubsy and Gex and Glover to get in because "sure, why not!?"
Shrek and Spongebob are much more popular than GOku, actually. They aren't third tier mascots, Goku is actually the third tier mascot in this example.

Deleted member 896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shrek and Spongebob are much more popular than GOku, actually. They aren't third tier mascots, Goku is actually the third tier mascot in this example.

Shrek is not a bankable franchise anymore. And Spongebob is still popular but I honestly think the audience skews younger than the main Smash audience.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut

I'm not invested in the outcome of this, but I'm not sure how this attitude is anything but hypocritical. "Cocky attitude?" Are you confusing it with excitement? Those reasons seem fine to me as why it's possible? But I guess Sakurai said that no characters not from games, and I've never met anyone who has changed their mind about something ever so I guess that is that.

Sarcasm asside I think that it does make sense that a character had to orginate from a video game thematically.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

Ok think of it like this. Let's say Smash Bros. WAS a game with fighting polygons only, and you were a kid and you saw the box art on the shelf. Would you buy it?

I'm really sorry to break this argument because I get what you're going for, but yes I would and yes I have. When I got Smash 64 as a kid I was a dumb as fuck kid who didn't speak English and only vaguely thought one character looked like Mario. I wasn't even 100% sure he was Mario because I wasn't mega into Mario back then haha. I think the color palette just looked fun to me and I was like "PARENTS PLEASE!" I didn't even recognize Pikachu because of the different art styles, and because I was 7 years old and really dumb. When I played the game the only characters I actually knew were Mario, Luigi, Pikachu and Jigglypuff lol Legit thought that the others were made up for the game at the time, I didn't even get that it was a crossover fighter.

Still loved the shit out of it.

I mean, people do come into KH threads to ask about Star Wars, marvel and other disney properties. That happens. I love KH and I'm totally okay with that.

I admittedly don't give a shit about the premise of the game. I play it because it's fun. I'm sure I fail a "true fan" test and that people would forbid me from buying the game if they could lol Like yeah, I'm sorry, I don't care about the video game celebration bit. I enjoy the characters, sure, and I enjoy the gameplay. That's about it.

I mean, realistically, just to be clear, I'm with you on this one - it won't happen. I have no delusion that it will. It would be rad, but the creator already stated he's not really into that so barring like him hitting his head really hard and forgetting what he was going for it's likely not happening.

I get your argument that he's not likely to appear and even agree with that part - but I think you overextend your argument when you assume that the video game crossover is the only reason people would get into the series or have fun with it..

Depends on where. If you're from Latam, I promise you Goku is arguably more popular than Jesus :P and that's saying something given how religious some areas are. (Not...literally, but like, seriously DBZ is huge in Latam in a way I struggle to find an analogue for)

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
I love Dragon Ball, I love FighterZ, I love english voiced Goku (Japanese screechy granny can get in the bin), but Goku has about as much of a place in Smash as James Bond. He's not a game character. He's a TV character who has been in games.

Now stop this shit incase Sakurai is listening and help me get Banjo and Kazooie in.

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018

Nah I'm sorry fam, I got heated there. My fault for calling you out like that.

Jan 10, 2018
Regarding that endlessly regarding Goku debate, I gotta say I'm a traditionalist and prefer it videogamey in Smash.

Do another Jump Superstars sequel and make it vs Nintendo All Stars. Shit has been overdue.