Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
This was 100% what I expected.
I feel completely neutral about it. I've had a decent time with Playstation Now and I'm sure this will be an upgrade. I'll always prefer to run games natively but this will be one of many services that will provide a decent alternative in some use cases.
So yeah, I don't consider this a game changer or anything. Just a natural evolution / alternative. Maybe it will take off, maybe it won't, maybe it'll take 20 years, who knows. Basically, my reaction is: "eh, sure."

0ean

Banned
Jan 30, 2019
I wonder what download/upload speed is needed for this especially in 8k.

Anyway welcome to 21st Century Gaming.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
They didn't showcase any games??! What gives? They are gonna have to bring some big guns for me to even consider investing in a locked in streaming console. I would rather invest in real hardware that gives top tier graphical fidelity.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
In the end, I think pricing is key. Even if the tech is capable of streaming the highest-end games with minimal latency, there's always going to be a huge number of people who won't want to pay $60 for software that exists 100% in the cloud.
Value is probably going to be the main thing this will have going for it. I'm expecting a model where specific games aren't bought, maybe Netflix style.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
In the end, I think pricing is key. Even if the tech is capable of streaming the highest-end games with minimal latency, there's always going to be a huge number of people who won't want to pay $60 for software that exists 100% in the cloud.
This is not going to be the scenario at all though.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It was definitely a stream aimed at devs more so than consumers, hence the lack of pricing and game announcements. Which is kinda dumb given how much hype they gave it, but hey.

As for Stadia itself, I think it's pretty neat, and to expect it to fail like OnLive is pretty silly. The world is a very different place now, more people than ever have solid internet connections and the attitude towards streaming has not only gotten better, it's practically normalized. Also it's Google. If you search a game, its Stadia link will pop up on the side-bar. That's probably the easiest and best marketing possible.

But it's not all doom and gloom and it almost certainly won't replace physical media, at least not yet. Eventually, in like 10-15 years, sure. But you can still buy CDs, you can grab a Blu-Ray, even DVDs are still manufactured because there are people who haven't gotten into the streaming ecosystem. IIRC even Netflix physically distributes its shows and movies eventually.

So yeah they'll just co-exist and I think that's kinda great? I'll still buy the games I like to own, like Final Fantasy, but if I can casually stream a fantastic-looking Ubisoft game I wouldn't otherwise buy outright, that's great. Just hope the monthly streaming fee is under £15.

rtv190

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a load of old shit. I expected Jack Shit, and somehow that was surpassed. (No, i don't mean that in a good way either.)

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Nothing about this felt compelling. It's a cool idea, but it seems like they don't have any substance. No official games, just tech demos. It was clearly a GDC talk, but even that felt..... Not great?

We know it works with the AC: Odyssey test, but it's very clear Google hasn't gone all in with this yet. They haven't figured all of this out, and need to have a more clear vision for a customer facing address.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Apple released AirPods when they removed the headphone jack. They didn't catch on until a few years later, and now they're everywhere.

So like... Googled released the streaming games platform when they stopped selling the dedicated games console that they never made?

idk what you're saying here, other than suggesting that Google releasing a streaming only platform whose initial primary market is a country with notoriously shitty ISP will catch on the same way that flawless wireless earbuds, a product that benefits dramatically from being untethered and can be used by anyone with a Bluetooth enabled device, did.

Nov 29, 2018
Just saw this and skimmed the OP and... nope.
Hard pass.
I'm sure streaming is gonna be huge at some point but right now I want no part of it.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who doesn't see anything wrong with the whole concept of game streaming should read Stallman's The Right to Read. We're getting much closer to that grim future if this Stadia thing succeeds.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Phil Harrison behind this is basically a death kiss to a platform.

It happened with PS3, Xbox Kinect, Xbox One... Stadia next?

Not getting Stadia, I want a box Google, not a service that will be at mercy of an internet connection.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
-No mods.
-No config tweaking.
-No reshade or any other graphical changes.
-No way to bypass bugs, you'll be forced to wait until developers fix them. If they ever do...
-No communities keeping games alive years after release by creating content for them.
-No using cheat engine to counter ugly balances in some single player games.
-No way to check/analize how games are made.
-No way to find secrets or things left on the files.
-No game conservation as we don't know if every game will be always available.
-No enough speed in most countries for this kind of streaming to work.
-No control whatsoever over any part of the games.

For example Skyrim wouldn't have survived so many years after release if Stadia was out back then, as no mods would've been released for it.

Google controls it all for you. Sorry but this is a massive no for me.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I should give this a shot, just to see how well it can do with google fiber. Probably not interested long term though.

At least they know where to put the d-pad and analog sticks.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Another notch in Phil Harrison's belt of lackluster product reveals

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it's cool. I don't think I'm getting Fiber in my area until 2020-2021, according to my ISP, so maybe, by then, this is a fleshed out service with some big exclusives. There are a lot of ideas they batted around that sound exciting on the surface, but I don't watch streamers or stream games myself, so that feature is kind of useless to me, but yeah, the whole being able to stream AAA games on my phone while I'm at work or whatever, that's big, but I also believe MS and Sony are both planning something similar. As with every gaming platform, it comes down to exclusives. I'm still excited to see what those end up being.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
Good for google, but not for me.

I suppose it is a gamepass situation...? Like a monthly subscription that includes the platform and the games. But yuck for another subscription service.

Also, data cap is still a thing, even in the Bay Area. The worst part is that many places in the Bay Area has basically only AT&T or Comcast only. AT&T is a rip-off for the price they are charging for 50 Mbps and still running on DSL. Comcast has shit CS and been increasing their price every damn year here.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
-No mods.
-No config tweaking.
-No reshade or any other graphical changes.
-No way to bypass bugs, you'll be forced to wait until developers fix them. If they ever do...
-No communities keeping games alive years after release by creating content for them.
-No using cheat engine to counter ugly balances in some single player games.
-No way to check/analize how games are made.
-No way to find secrets or things left on the files.
-No game conservation as we don't know if every game will be always available.
-No enough speed in most countries for this kind of streaming to work.
-No control whatsoever over any part of the games.

For example Skyrim wouldn't have survived so many years after release if Stadia was out back then, as no mods would've been released for it.

Google controls it all for you. Sorry but this is a massive no for me.

This is the future of gaming. True mobile gaming anywhere anytime.

Three or four posts apart :P

so to view 4k you will need a 4k tv/monitor and fast internet speed?

I would make that assumption.

Deleted member 26900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It was definitely a stream aimed at devs more so than consumers, hence the lack of pricing and game announcements. Which is kinda dumb given how much hype they gave it, but hey.

Given that this was done at the Game Developers Conference, I'm not surprised. I actually expected it. I'm a Conference Associate and have been going to the conference for over 10 years. There's usually very little to know consumer related announcements made. This was a little different because it's also debuting tech and Google likes to make a splash.

I'm sure we'll get a lot more consumer friendly conference at E3.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.stadia.com

QiwwhP9.png

Tnx Google.
Yeah looks like Stadia is region locked to Google hardware storefronts. If Google never officially sold hardware through their website in your country you are shit out of luck.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They haven't touched pricing even remotely and nothing implied per-game or subscription-based. Just wait for it.
with a service like this they could actually go pretty wild with pricing:

1. monthly subscription
2. pay per play
3. episodic pricing / pay per level
4. buy whole games
5. discounts for playing with in game google ads
6. all of the above

Definitely. Though I wouldn't mind a monthly subscription to access the library of games.

I'm also ok with purchasing the games outright to be be to stream it with Stadia. It'll just be another digital library amongst what's already out there (Steam, uPlay, Origin)

Dekevo

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like the direction gaming is going now. I miss the old days of actually owning our games. Seems like the future is Netflix style subscriptions. Bleh.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean....ok? All I really learned from that is how I really don't care about platforms/tech specs unless actual games are shown off lol

Oct 25, 2017
It's a platform like the PS4 or Xbox but running in the cloud. It's technically a dedicated system.
Wait so this counts as a new system, meaning the library is starting from zero essentially? It'll be on devs to port all their games to this, as well as games going forward?

Don't know why I imagined most of the available PC library would work off the bat, kind of unrealistic in hindsight.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Had a chance to watch some parts. It reminded me of the Google Glasses reveal. All pure hypothetical but ultimately it won't work in real life use cases. Maybe in 10 years.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
How long until we get a youtube tutorial on how to build your own PC rig equivalent to the Stadia?
Probably already being uploaded, if they haven't already. People do this shit for the classic consoles with Pis and crap so why not I guess. They just miss the point.
The controller layout is wrong. Offset sticks are superior.
Shenanigans! Neither is superior to the other, it's just what you're used to!

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite things about games is that we don't have those licensing issues like in movies or tv shows where it's it's impossible to buy movies and tv shows (I want to get spiderverse so bad rn but my country is blocked from everything).
and today , it's the first time I ever got "this is unavailable in your country" in a gaming related thing. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Feb 15, 2019
So who has the most to fear from this? It has to be microsoft right? They seem to be doing the most similar things.

Nintendo will just be Nintendo like always, thought the portability factor might make it a competitor to the Switch too, I doubt Nintendo's very worried.

And since Sony's making another box and seem to be making that its priority they can just take the whole "actual box and owning games and stuff" stance and a lot of people will (especially on era) will eat it up.