Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadab

Oct 25, 2017
quote-fool-me-once-shame-on-shame-on-you-fool-me-you-can-t-get-fooled-again-george-w-bush-91-40-81.jpg

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Google really thought this was a megaton announcement? How? It's not realistic for most people

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I have no doubt this is the future and will be awesome but this presentation is aweful.

So many rehashes of things we've seen before and so many solutions to problems that don't exist.

We've seen this stuff drop away as people focus on the core needs of users.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I know one thing, I don't want google to control the future of gaming. I hope we see Sony and others step it up with their services to compete.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately, the most important thing for a video game platform are the video games. They haven't shown a compelling library of available video games for the platform.

That might come later since this is GDC and all. But that's the primary point for people who will be buying into this.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
there's something really scary about the potential of this console. just in terms of how they can monetize and bombard their games with ads.

Oct 27, 2017
all of the decisions we make get pushed into google AI

they're collection DATA!!!!

Gaming is about the only thing I don't do through Google. I have one of their phones, I always use their browser, their search engine, their maps, their email. I even signed up to Google Plus and used it two or three times. They probably know more about me and my likes and habits than any living person.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Content providers (google, Netflix, amazon, etc) are literally at direct odds with companies that provide access to that content, and none of them acknowledge it. It's so frustrating. Whoa look at this, you can stream 4k now! Stream all your games! Watch 4k content on your phone anywhere!

Oh wait, you mean Comcast is going to charge me overage fees because of a made up data cap? And limit my bandwidth? And Verizon will only allow 720p? Why don't you solve those problems first. Ugh.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
There is honestly some pretty awesome tech here I can see becoming the norm down the line. Crowd play is pretty good.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Not to sound cynical but this thing has got flop written all over it (If google are indeed trying to be the market leader in the gaming space which I assume they are.)

As long as internet speeds are bad pretty much everywhere other than a small percentage of people (which is the case) then this thing will never be a market leader or even compete with traditional digital/physical designs.

Don't get me wrong, it will be ok for some people and I am happy for whoever will benefit from this, especially since they will be able to play their games at high res/high fps but I just don't ever see it becoming the standard, in the same way I didn't see 3DTV becoming the standard despite the hype behind it.

I have 70MB down and 20mb up but my connection is far from stable because of the phone lines around here hot being built for high speed, it's not even just about speed which is something people seem to forget.

It's a cool idea and after reading a fellow ERA members post yesterday I have somewhat changed my mind on the idea of streaming being a completely bad thing but I just don't see it taking off long term and I will always personally prefer physical or digital media that can be modded or physically owned.

That's just my personal opinion of course, no offence intended.

Last edited:

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I played almost 100 hours of Odyssey over the few months and my internet usage did not noticeably go up. It's not that intensive, at least not at the 1080p resolution they used.

In my country I can't play youtube videos 1080 at 60 fps, with a regular internet plan, so I don't think this applies to me.

Wanted to try the project stream beta (for the free AC Oddyssey key) but it was blocked outside the US

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
ok this is getting boring. they are really stretching this out. time to turn this off.
When = Launch date?
How much = Subscription? (there is no way i can play a new AAA launch title for free)
Specs = Connection requirements?
you don't get charged extra to stream a movie you bought via google. doubt games won't be different. (nothing has been announced so far, the stream is still ongoing)

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How many Youtube creators actually stream on Youtube? Don't most streamers go to Twitch?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
people dont own netflix movies or spotify albums and everyone is fine with that.
Who's everyone? I don't know about you but I know people who'd rather own their games compared to owning a 1 hour album.

People need to stop using the "well Netflix and Spotify" excuse because comparing games to albums and movies is crazy given the length of said things.
length? i've listened to one song way more times than have played the entirety of one game.

people like to own games, yeah. people also liked to own vinyl and dvds.
Who says people don't like to own those other mediums? I'm saying that there's a difference between owning a 60 dollar game compared to owning a 13 dollar album especially if the album is 1 hour long. I know all facets, at the same time just because you feel that way doesn't mean everyone feels the same which is my whole point. People need to stop using the Spotify and Netflix excuse because everyone is different. You said "everybody" in your post and in no way is that true. That's just off base.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
You peeps at US are crying already, how about us 3rd world country plebes, we can't even get a fourth of your connection speed lol
To many, it's unfathomable having a dial-up/crap dsl connection. This is a huge reason why that streaming future is definitely not for everyone as it's constantly being advertised as which is bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.