Crax

May 21, 2018
Still waiting for that wow-factor when it comes to AI that actually impacts my day to day

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
woo trip planning, actually useful. Not jazzed about Gemini Advanced costing damn near $30 a month because it's bundled with Google One

Oct 30, 2017
Tbh, while it might seem "boring" most of this seems well incorporated in the context of how Google operates and how you interact with Google Search.

This is going to be more "useful" than OpenAI's approach, especially as Alphabet has the giant advantage that they can push this to billions of customers at once via Google / Android.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
So this is why they fired their Python devs, you can feed their LLM a library and the model can do the rest, lol.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Really curious where exactly Apple is on this stuff. I guess if they could use the Open AI gpt 4o that could put them in line.

Native_Vel

Jun 5, 2022
I hope folks don't underestimate how useful that scam/fraud alert will be for millions of people.

I cannot tell you all how often I am told by people (Smart, successful people) that they had their identity stolen, had to contact their bank because they fell for a scam text message, etc. Social engineering is no joke.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
I hope folks don't underestimate how useful that scam/fraud alert will be for millions of people.

I cannot tell you all how often I am told by people (Smart, successful people) that they had their identity stolen, had to contact their bank because they fell for a scam text message, etc. Social engineering is no joke.

It seemed cool but what about privacy? Does it happen on device, or does that mean Google is listening and sending the audio to their servers to get that scam alert? I only saw the ending of the pop up saying it is likely a scam so maybe they addressed how it works.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So far pretty cool new Gemini features.
That accessibility feature is very nice for people with vision handicap, I know someone who needs to basically put the phone point blank into her eyes to properly see things so that should be a great feature for her.

Wonder if Android15 is going to have any meaningful improvements

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile during this keynote Nvidia stock jumped $11 lol...only 1,5% but they will be the big winner from the AI war

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Worst I/O in ages. Just constant Gemini, which doesn't do a lot for me. Gemini does a lot, but as an assistant it can be kinda junk. Like, just today I took a screenshot of an Instagram post and asked it to get the event info from it and add it to my calendar, and it produced all the required information and showed it, then went "I can't create calendar events" and left it at that.
It's all well and good to be able to read a recipe and tell me bits of it as I ask questions, but if you can't do the basics then I'm not gonna feel comfortable asking you for help with more complicated stuff just to see if it works.
Google's technology has been getting less and less useful since Google Now, and nowadays I'd just describe it as unreliable. It's like more complicated Siri, I don't trust it to be able to do what I ask yet.

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
Android news and beta until tomorrow.
Now I want the hour I dedicated to watch IA shit back

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I have never been less interested in the announcements at an I/O conference. I hate all this AI crap and don't care about any of it from any company. Can we please move onto the next buzzword?

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Worst I/O in ages. Just constant Gemini, which doesn't do a lot for me. Gemini does a lot, but as an assistant it can be kinda junk. Like, just today I took a screenshot of an Instagram post and asked it to get the event info from it and add it to my calendar, and it produced all the required information and showed it, then went "I can't create calendar events" and left it at that.
It's all well and good to be able to read a recipe and tell me bits of it as I ask questions, but if you can't do the basics then I'm not gonna feel comfortable asking you for help with more complicated stuff just to see if it works.
Google's technology has been getting less and less useful since Google Now, and nowadays I'd just describe it as unreliable. It's like more complicated Siri, I don't trust it to be able to do what I ask yet.

I actually went back to this example and asked it if it could create a calendar event from this, and it said basically "Yes I can absolutely create a calendar event for you. Just say "Create a calendar event for...(event details)" and I'll add it to your calendar".

Of course, you do that and it goes "Sorry, but I can't add events to the calendar."

Google is so cooked with this chatbot shit, man

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Gemini just feels more like a chatbot and less like any sort of productivity helper. It's actually really weird to me that they're so in on it.

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
The only "good" thing about their IA push and this all nonsense is they are adding a "web" search button to their search engine.
You know...the first thing a web search should do, but instead pushes ads, phishing or misleading links, and more ads.