Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're all candybars. S9 is better in every way besides maybe the battery and maybe the camera (not so much of a difference actually). There really is no *good*reason to choose this over that.

What's good to one person won't necessarily be good to another. I've had a S9 as a work phone for a year now, I know it. I'm still getting a 3a as a personal phone.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's Samsung fanboy speech. This thread is about the Pixel device for people who want Pixel devices. I don't think he sees that.
Honestly the random problems Jeff ChickenDig mentioned earlier are talked about so much online there's only so much Pixel defending I can do lol. If it didn't have those issues I'd probably jump on one but would rather wait some number of months to see how people's devices age.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No it's to discuss them. Doesn't mean it has to be positive. This phone doesn't offer much for its price point.

I somewhat I agree with your points. The only enticing things I see (which I have mentioned before) is the camera and guaranteed software updates for the next 3 years and entry level price for people who can't otherwise afford a flagship Pixel device. Other than that I would get a new/refurbished Pixel 2/XL.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
I like how apparently finding a new pixel 2 is an issue in the US, in the UK stores never sold their Pixel stock and large batches of them went to electronic clearance warehouses, where even now you can pick up a new Pixel 2 unlocked for £219 (XL is £239).

Compared to the 3a which Google are trying to sell for £399.99.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
What would be better at a similar price range?
- Google Pixel XL 128 GB
- Google Pixel 2 64 GB
- Google Pixel 3a

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of finally upgrading from my iPhone 6. This new Pixel 3a looks decent for what I would be using the phone for.
But as I'm so out the loop, been trying to research whats out there, any of the new iPhones are way too expensive. Had a look at these and all seem interesting.
Looking to spend around £500 and I should be able to get about £90 when I trade in my current phone.

Galaxy S10e
OnePlus 7
Pixel 3a

I know we don't know too much about the upcoming OnePlus 7, but any suggestions, guidance on these?
Is there a massive change going from iOS to these in terms of UI etc

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be the obvious choice but the Pixel 2 doesn't have headphone jack, and my phones are 50% web browser, 50% mp3 player.
Hmm in that case I'd go for the Pixel 3a since it'll be covered with software updates for the next 3 years and has the latest camera.

Though I'm not sure how the Pixel would compared to the Pixel 3a in terms of raw performance.

You can find a 128GB Pixel for $263 new or $130 refurbished on Amazon

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
If I am buying new phone with 399 right now, I would get a Xiaomi Mi 8 Pro global version on gearbest for 399. It has 8gb/128gb and a Snapdragon 845.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I was really close to picking one of these up, but it would have cost me nearly $500 after tax, activation fee, and buying a case. I ended up getting a "Like new" Galaxy S9 on ebay for $310. I hope these cheaper Pixels become the norm. I wonder if they are going to keep staggering it's release from the main Pixels that way they don't cannibalize their own sales.

**Also the thing I keep noticing in these threads is people have to realize that in the US there is no mid-range market. Yes, there are cheaper, better specced phones available around the globe, but the vast majority of those don't work in the US and not on Verizon for sure.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Want to upgrade my Nexus 5X to Pixel 3a. Just wished they sold any Pixel phones here in Finland :(

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm in that case I'd go for the Pixel 3a since it'll be covered with software updates for the next 3 years and has the latest camera.

Though I'm not sure how the Pixel would compared to the Pixel 3a in terms of raw performance.

You can find a 128GB Pixel for $263 new or $130 refurbished on Amazon
Watching reviews and comparing charts I think I'll go for the Pixel 3a when it drops price a little as it seems the natural substitute for my Nexus 5, down to the black front-white back.

Big Dirty

Nov 11, 2018
I like how apparently finding a new pixel 2 is an issue in the US, in the UK stores never sold their Pixel stock and large batches of them went to electronic clearance warehouses, where even now you can pick up a new Pixel 2 unlocked for £219 (XL is £239).

Got any links? That's a crazy price

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
3a also beats some other devices because it has the superior type of fingerprint reader. Rear capacitive forever.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
No it isnt, you're spending $400 still and getting $100 toward something else entirely.

Everytime these deals come up on Era, I have no idea why people say this.

It depends on each individual's situation. If you were planning on buying something else soon it is $100 cheaper. True though that a lot of times people probably just use it to justify buying something else they don't need.

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps I was just spoiled by Windows Phone, but why is it that wireless charging is considered to be a high-end feature?

There is absolutely no technical reason why wireless charging should not be a standard feature of phones these days. Hell the Nexus 5 premiered with wireless charging and that was a cheap arse phone at the time. The only explanation I can think of is that manufacturers are intentionally keeping wireless charging as a "high end" feature to justify £1000+ phones

koshiro

Oct 27, 2017

Woah, which warehouses are these?

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
3a also beats some other devices because it has the superior type of fingerprint reader. Rear capacitive forever.

The real feature people are sleeping on, if you haven't experienced the rear fingerprint scanner you haven't lived, wish this was standard on all phones.

Everyone trying to get their fancy ass under glass scanners on the screen but...its still a shit spot on the screen.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with the compromises for the price and pick it up if they got out of the fixed storage racket.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The real feature people are sleeping on, if you haven't experienced the rear fingerprint scanner you haven't lived, wish this was standard on all phones.

Everyone trying to get their fancy ass under glass scanners on the screen but...its still a shit spot on the screen.
In-screen fingerprint readers are stupid.
It's more expensive, harder to make, it's slower, it's less precise, it's affected by scratches, can stop working because of screen protectors... AND IT'S IN A WORSE PLACE THAN IF YOU JUST PUT ON THE BACK! The back is the most comfortable and logical place! The front is a dumb place for a fingerprint reader!

But...it's shiny cool new tech! ...yay?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
There is absolutely no technical reason why wireless charging should not be a standard feature of phones these days. Hell the Nexus 5 premiered with wireless charging and that was a cheap arse phone at the time. The only explanation I can think of is that manufacturers are intentionally keeping wireless charging as a "high end" feature to justify £1000+ phones
Yeah, it's really strange. Windows Phones predominantly had plastic cases and low specs (since the OS used to run really well on low-end hardware), but they still managed to support wireless charging on an official level either through built-in support or a replacement (official) battery door. Given the emphasis on water-resistant or water-proof devices, it's weird to me that there isn't more of a push for wireless charging on all devices solely to give people more of a reason to seal off those ports or have them removed entirely.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In-screen fingerprint readers are stupid.
It's more expensive, harder to make, it's slower, it's less precise, it's affected by scratches, can stop working because of screen protectors... AND IT'S IN A WORSE PLACE THAN IF YOU JUST PUT ON THE BACK! The back is the most comfortable and logical place! The front is a dumb place for a fingerprint reader!

But...it's shiny cool new tech! ...yay?
I'll give you the other things but how is it a worse placement? You literally put your finger on the screen every time you use your phone.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why Google can't put a headphone jack into the flagship pixel?

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I'll give you the other things but how is it a worse placement? You literally put your finger on the screen every time you use your phone.

Cause its going to just be a smudgey messy spot in your screen, you always have a finger on the rear spot as well, not to mention you can use it for scrolling as well so you can keep reading/looking without touching the screen.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why Google can't put a headphone jack into the flagship pixel?
They can, but they don't want to, because they want to push their pixel earbuds. "If they can pay 1000$ for a phone they can afford our earbuds". Same for apple, of course they can put a headphone jack, they don't want to. If they manage to get everyone on Bluetooth / USB C headphones, it also may help Spotify and such to include DRM similarly to Netflix, imagine HDCP but for audio. There is no advantage for us, the consumers, in dropping it. Zero. It's all excuses. Don't be tricked otherwise.
Cause its going to just be a smudgey messy spot in your screen, you always have a finger on the rear spot as well, not to mention you can use it for scrolling as well so you can keep reading/looking without touching the screen.
this.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking I'll recommend this to my fiancee. She's got a Samsung S7 Edge that's getting on in years - nasty dent in the corner cracking the screen, doesn't hold a charge, and every few weeks the OS turns into sludge and stays that way until it's rebooted. $40 on trade-in isn't a bad offer, and I'm sure she'd appreciate the camera.

Oct 25, 2017
played with them at best buy and I like it. The plastic back finish feels incredibly similar to the pixel 3 right next to them. The screens are vibrant. Speakers are pretty good for this price range. Same with the haptics with keyboard vibrate on tap, which is something most 'flagship killers' cut major corners on, like oneplus.

At a glance this stuff seems like the Android phone to get for most ppl. SD 670 probably gonna be fine, as someone with a sd660 xiaomi tablet that runs as good as my flagship phones for non gaming apps.

I think most ppl would have a good time with this in the US. Especially with the $100 gift card option these days.