• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
meh, i imagine the timed-exclusives will be stuff like gylt, and if there's anything must-play people will just wait for the exclusivity to run out.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Lame.
It's lame when anyone does it especially for a cloud gaming service. :/
I don't understand that. Third party exclusivity deals are always lame but Stadia is free soon, I'd say that it's definitely worse outside of the clouds when you have to buy a $500 console + the $60 game than just the $60 game.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
120 is not that many games when compared to the competition... Hopefully for Google they are big names.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I put this in the OT, OP : )

Creating Stadia threads here is just the same barrage of meaningless shitposts. There will be no discussion.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Hopefully it's indies who could do with help tying their budget for release.
I mean it's not like releasing on Stadia is gonna make the actual launch on services people actually use will be affected anyway.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I don't understand that. Third party exclusivity deals are always lame but Stadia is free soon, I'd say that it's definitely worse outside of the clouds when you have to buy a $500 console + the $60 game than just the $60 game.
I have a data cap so Stadia definitely isn't free for me to use :/
I will always prefer a local experience over streaming any day of the week.

Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It does seem less vindictive because they're not just getting games pulled from one specific competitor, but all competitors. But it is similarly distasteful.

I don't know if console players will defend this like many seem to for games being pulled from Steam.

I actually did address the console part in an edit before the quote. But to answer your question, no I doubt console players will defend this at all if this affects them in any way. We'll see the "sudden" disdain for such deals in short order, no doubt.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ermm...is 10 games a month supposed to be a lot?

Google is really fucking this up by not focusing enough on games.

Feb 10, 2018
The people who came up with stadias strategy are incompetent and are arrogant to think the rules don't apply to them.

I mean who in the right mind thought they could launch and succeed with a platform with like 1 dev, when each of the competition has 15+ amazing devs.

I mean, what the fuck were they thinking!

The only logical explanation I can think of is that there must be some internal self sabotage.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Creating Stadia threads here is just the same barrage of meaningless shitposts. There will be no discussion.
Just because the discussion isn't going the way you'd like doesn't mean it isn't discussion.

If any platform holder was making a commitment to 10 timed exclusives there would be some backlash. And I would argue timed exclusives are way worse when stuck within the realms of a streaming only service.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
This is worst than most forms of timed exclusivity, cause this would also leave out entire regions from playing those games as they service is either not available there or they do not have appropriate ISPs in the area

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the labored breathing of a dying creature.

Hopefully all of the games exclusive to Stadia don't die with it.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Timed exclusives on a dead service. I can't say I'm happy about that. Hopefully they are not AAA games everyone is looking forward to.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Considering Stadia is fairly shit, it's well deserved and now they are buying exclusivity since they can't be bothered to make their own games. they deserve to be shit on for that as well.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
New games! This is a good way to bring back attention on Stadia.

Also, they need to release that free 1080p tier, unlock more countries, and offer game library subscription.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
I don't think Steam has ever done it.

It's not really something Nintendo do much of, outside of a few indie games. There's stuff like Bayonetta 2 but that's a very different situation.
I'm referring to the console platform holders (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft and now Google). My apologies, I could have been clearer on that.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Timed exclusives so basically google are paying to keep games off other platforms. Sooner this thing dies the better.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
At least it's timed exclusives and not actual exclusives. Games tied exclusively to streaming-only platforms is some darkest timeline shit for anyone that doesn't treat games as completely disposable.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Timed Exclusives?

You fucking idiots

What you should be doing is working on Bundle deals, cross play/cross save/ Cross buy

Unbelievable

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I have a data cap so Stadia definitely isn't free for me to use :/
I will always prefer a local experience over streaming any day of the week.
Okay but that doesn't make exclusives on streaming services lame, it makes your internet provider lame. My hope for next gen is that the streaming services will include all exclusives so I can focus on buying games instead of hardware. The optimal scenario for me is Sony exclusives on PS Now day 1, MS exclusives on xCloud day 1, Stadia exclusives on Pro sub day 1, and Nintendo exclusives on a subscription service. After Stadia I don't fear a streaming service future more than Netflix and Spotify, data caps sucks but the latency issues are overblown and that was my worry.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
"120 Games Coming this year" is super vague. Not saying "new" makes me think they're padding the number with a bunch of older games. I could see Koch or Deep Silver throwing all their THQ back catalog stuff on or whatever. Having a wide catalog regardless of how recent the games are is a good thing in a developed system, but I doubt it's going to entice most people to sign up when the majority are games people already have, and you need to pay for them individually.

It's a big "no" from me when it comes to timed exclusives, though. If there are any timed exclusives I want to play, I'll just wait until they're on other systems. I'm doing it with Darksiders, I can do it for most everything else.

Google really needs a compelling, wholly-owned exclusive. They should've had their Halo or Super Mario Bros in order before launching the service.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Steam has ever done it.

It's not really something Nintendo do much of, outside of a few indie games. There's stuff like Bayonetta 2 but that's a very different situation.

Octopath? I don't know if they put any funds towards the game itself or not but seeing as it later released on PC I guess not

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
going by the usual arguments nobody has any right whatsoever to be mad at this, at least after the 1080p tier launches, because you don't have to buy a new console to play these games

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the same exact thing though. Epic doing it is just as bad as google doing it.
i agree both are bad, but in one case it's still a game you can play on your PC, in google's case it requires you to be in a region supported by stadia and also having a really good internet connection. stadia getting exclusives is worse for people not interested (or incapable of) streaming.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Octopath? I don't know if they put any funds towards the game itself or not but seeing as it later released on PC I guess not
Yeah I forgot that came to PC, although I wonder if that was something negotiated after the fact rather than before. I don't recall it being announced as only a timed exclusive.

But certainly it's not a big focus for Nintendo, even if it's something they do from time to time.