• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
My whole region is capped at 6mbit at the highest tier, or satellite with 10mbit download, but 10GB monthly cap and dial-up mandatory for the uplink (yeah it's horrific, the 6mbit wired is way better). I can see Stadia being a huge hit here! Huge!

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
People keep saying how stadia is aimed at enthusiasts, but I just don't see it. Streaming video just simply isn't as good as local rendering. Same for movies. Blu-rays blow streaming out of the water. Besides, any enthusiast already has the hardware they need.
Yeah for me it's quite the opposite, as a notebook owner who doesn't want to invest in a strong rig, Stadia would be an alternative if I wanted to play a demanding game.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
I am a little worried about bandwidth used on streaming services. Last month was the first time I used Geforce Now and I came precariously close to my bandwidth cap of 1TB when I normally have 3-400GB to spare. It was a heavier than usual game download month though, so I can't really be sure enough to make a judgement on this.

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah for me it's quite the opposite, as a notebook owner who doesn't want to invest in a strong rig, Stadia would be an alternative if I wanted to play a demanding game.

Same here. It's been years since the time I can invest in gaming is considerably decreased and so is the budget I can allocate towards videogames. Hell, the last time I upgraded my (now super old) pc was 3 years ago with a rx480 and I basically never used it. The only machine I actually use it's my switch and even if there are games on other systems that I'd like to play I really really can't feel comfortable with the idea of buying another console or a new pc knowing that I'd probably use it very rarely. Having the option to just buy the game I want without having to have the hardware is something that really insterests me.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know it can be played without VR, but if you're playing it on any device that supports VR, it's by far the definitive way to play. So not supporting VR would suggest to me of what I've suspected since Stadia was announced; that Stadia is not on par with what local hardware can do.
The issue is latency, not the power of the hardware.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know it can be played without VR, but if you're playing it on any device that supports VR, it's by far the definitive way to play. So not supporting VR would suggest to me of what I've suspected since Stadia was announced; that Stadia is not on par with what local hardware can do.

the latency will make you puke your guts in most vr games, thats why you dont really see wireless vr headsets unless everythings built into the hmd. If we can reasonably do wireless vr in the same room yet, we definitely cant stream vr yet.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
So their target audience is people who:
  • don't want to buy gaming hardware
  • are ok with paying full price for games
  • are ok paying monthly fees
  • live reasonably close to a data center
  • don't have tight data caps
Anyone acting like this is going to take off is kidding themselves. If there was a Netflix-like subscription service that offered a giant library of games I could see it, but this isn't that.
Don't actually need to pay monthly fees, and the games are supposedly not going to be full priced if it's an old game.

Nov 8, 2017
The issue is latency, not the power of the hardware.
the latency will make you puke your guts in most vr games, thats why you dont really see wireless vr headsets unless everythings built into the hmd. If we can reasonably do wireless vr in the same room yet, we definitely cant stream vr yet.
I know, but many people were claiming latency wouldn't be an issue with Stadia. If Stadia can't do VR because of latency, then latency is most certainly an deal-breaking issue with Stadia.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The
I know, but many people were claiming latency wouldn't be an issue with Stadia. If Stadia can't do VR because of latency, then latency is most certainly an deal-breaking issue with Stadia.
Nah. The latency required for VR is way smaller than the acceptable latency needed for controlling things on a flat screen with a controller (not to mention it's variable depending on use case). It's not really comparable.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Google has videos out specifically saying how they are dealing with latency to make the experience enjoyable, not that they removed it which is quite impossible.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
But if Stadia's latency isn't good enough for VR, then latency is an issue when people were claiming it wouldn't be.
I literally answered this the first time you asked on the post above... They cannot magically get rid of latency, they are using methods to make it less impactful on your experience

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
But if Stadia's latency isn't good enough for VR, then latency is an issue when people were claiming that it wouldn't be.
If your point is that latency will be an issue, bringing VR in to it doesn't make sense since that would be a MORE demanding use case. What you're saying is akin to saying "If current internet speeds aren't good enough for streaming 4k video, then they aren't good enough for streaming music".

Last edited:

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I'm definitely curious about latency. Tried Fallout 4 from my home (200 up/down) to university today (with Steam) and it felt somewhat sluggish though playable. Then I tried it home and DANG, it's really quite a difference between playable and actually smooth. Think it was still on balanced instead of fast though. Good chance I'm too spoiled to accept any added latency though :/

Nov 8, 2017
If your point is that latency will be an issue, bringing VR in to it doesn't make sense since that would be a MORE demanding use case. What you're saying is akin to saying "If current internet speeds aren't good enough for streaming 4k video, then they aren't good enough for streaming music".
I don't remember anyone saying that VR games were excluded when stating that latency wouldn't be a problem on Stadia though. It's 2019; PSVR came out three years ago, and I expect any new system that's worth it's salt to support all types of games, not just only the flat-screen subset of games.

It'd be like if the PS5 or Xbox Scarlett came out and only supported stereo audio.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember anyone saying that VR games were excluded when stating that latency wouldn't be a problem on Stadia though. It's 2019; PSVR came out three years ago, and I expect any new system that's worth it's salt to support all types of games, not just only the flat-screen subset of games.
I also don't remember anyone claiming streaming games wouldn't be an issue for VR games. If that's the metric you want to personally judge it against then feel free, but acting like anyone's argument that latency won't be an issue for most games is invalidated because VR might be (currently) too hard for Stadia is disingenuous at best.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I don't play Fortnite, but the thing runs flawless on Switch.... it's just really a shock they wouldn't try to secure the most popular game on the planet right now.

I wonder how Stadia will handle free-to-play games?

There are no fees with Stadia Base. They'd have to make all of their money from add-ons and DLC. If Fortnite players aren't required to make purchases through the platform they're playing on, then there's no guarantee that Google would see even one red cent from a Fortnite player.

One alternative would be for Stadia free-to-play games to contain in-game advertisements, much like many mobile games. This would give Google a method of earning revenue, even if players never buy any add-ons.

Last edited:

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018

There are no fees with Stadia Base. They'd have to make all of their money from add-ons and DLC. If Fortnite players aren't required to make purchases through the platform they're playing on, then there's no guarantee that Google would see even one red can't from a Fortnite player.

One alternative would be for Stadia free-to-play games to contain in-game advertisements, much like many mobile games. This would give Google a method of earning revenue, even if players never buy any add-ons.
Epic made a big Stink about a place like Steam only needing 12% to do what they do. I'm skeptical they'd let Stadia take much more than that from microtransactions, and since F2P would have continuing variable costs that margin is likely very low.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
If they announced XCloud was available now to buy access to, Stadia would be dead on the spot. They have a bit of time still! But they basically need to change their entire trajectory.
Couldn't watch the conference, will it be usable without owning the console? If so I need to find a way to get the 3 years of Gamepads lol

Nov 8, 2017
I also don't remember anyone claiming streaming games wouldn't be an issue for VR games. If that's the metric you want to personally judge it against then feel free, but acting like anyone's argument that latency won't be an issue for most games is invalidated because VR might be (currently) too hard for Stadia is disingenuous at best.
People were claiming that latency wouldn't be an issue on Stadia without any qualifiers. If they only meant that it wouldn't be a problem for the flat-screen subset of games, they should've said that, otherwise by default it means all games, including VR games.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
There are several services already usable today for pc wherr you can try that.
Latency is alsmost nonexistent, if you have50mbit+. Of course it also depends where the next data center lies(this is why latency can actually show up)
A friend of mine played some games on a virtual machine completely on one of those services because he has an older computer. She told me, that the service was better than expected and she experienced only 3 problems during her playthrough of borderlands3. Except that, all other steam games worked absolutely fine. The next cod works like a charm, she said.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
You know since Google owns Android and runs the Play Store, I thought they might do better than they are with Stadia.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017

There are no fees with Stadia Base. They'd have to make all of their money from add-ons and DLC. If Fortnite players aren't required to make purchases through the platform they're playing on, then there's no guarantee that Google would see even one red cent from a Fortnite player.

Yea I think they would have to take a mobile f2p approach as well or offer some sort of wild exclusive content. But more importantly, if they can get enough people to just play Stadia it's going to put more faith of it in it's audience if it works. To actually try this thing out without having to spend a dime up front, I think Google would see more ppl wanting to stick with it, and maybe even upgrade to the controller option. People are afraid of the lag and Fortnite is a game you just can't play with lag. It would have shown how this streaming future could work, or not.

Having a "free version" but you still have to buy $20-60 games, an upgraded Chromecast, and some sort of controller is going to initially turn people off.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Awesome, sad I did not take advantage of the Gamepass deal when it was available. No Xb1 and my PC is weak
If you mean the upgrade to Ultimate thing then I'm pretty sure that's still active. They also just added a 3 months ultimate for $1 deal if I'm not mistaken. Make sure to add live/gamepass pc subs before activating to ultimate.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
If you mean the upgrade to Ultimate thing then I'm pretty sure that's still active. They also just added a 3 months ultimate for $1 deal if I'm not mistaken. Make sure to add live/gamepass pc subs before activating to ultimate.
Thanks, I'll look into it. If it's not expiring for a while I'll hold off to next month. Getting Stadia next week+3 years of live= wife agro : )