ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, all. It's me, ASaiyan, and as you may or may not know I have been an incessant skeptic of game streaming technology, and the insistence of certain industry members (such as Yves Guillemot) that it represents "the future of gaming". I have never doubted that the tech is possible, but I have always maintained that it would be impractical in the face of certain external realities – i.e, the relatively slow average internet speeds in key markets like the U.S. I failed to see how the average American consumer could achieve acceptable IQ and latency from such a service in the near future. I've articulated this view in virtually every Era thread created on the subject.
Not gonna happen on crappy average American internet speeds. No matter how much Google, Microsoft or anyone else tries to will it to happen. They'd have to lay thousands of miles of high-speed cable across the country on their own dime for it to be viable in 2-5 years, lol.
I don't know about other parts of the world. But here in the US (which I hear is a pretty important market), average internet speeds are just way too crappy to accomodate a remotely acceptable input lag/image quality for most people. You can't overcome this problem just by pretending it doesn't exist.
Anyone with Google Fiber ever try PS Now? Maybe at that internet speed these services can actually work, lol.
These are just the first three examples I could find, lol.

So when Google announced a beta for its "Project Stream" last week, promising I could stream the latest Assassin's Creed game right through Chrome, I signed up just for shits and giggles. I wanted to see how bad it would be. To my surprise, they got this program up and running in very short order and I found an access email in my inbox today. I decided I'd give it a go as soon as I got home tonight.

I played about an hour of Assassin's Creed: Odyssey through my web browser, and while I'm not gonna pretend it was "perfect" or "indistinguishable" from running it locally, I must say I feel I've been proven quite wrong about where this technology is at.

First, the key question: What is my internet speed? The "minimum speed" suggested for Project Stream is 10Mbps, and the "recommended speed" is between 20 and 25Mbps. Surprisingly, I initially found it quite difficult to figure this out, because ISPs are known to detect and cheat speedtests and the figures I kept getting back were way above what I knew I was actually getting. Thankfully, JershJopstin suggested me a simple and foolproof test: just open Task Manager during gameplay and see how much bandwidth the service is actually getting. So I did, and here are the results:
LUcfd0t.png

That looks pretty accurate to me. So, for the below observations, assume an internet speed of 23 Mbps – within the "recommended" range for Project Stream.

Now that's out of the way, here are my initial observations on some key factors:

IQ/Resolution: Unsurprisingly, this was pretty good. Keep in mind, however, that I'm only using a modest 1080p60 display. But just like Netflix always brings me the pretty pixels, Google brought me to Ancient Greece just fine. The Project Stream version appears to be using a 'High' graphical preset (i.e., as opposed to 'Ultra'), with no graphics settings available to change on the user end, and the level of detail is very respectable. In 'rural' areas the game seems to maintain a solid 1080p (though I didn't do any pixel-counting). In intensive areas, however, such as the busy village of Sami, I did notice some 'buffering'/'artifacting' of the image down to something like 900p, or even 800p, for extended stretches of a minute or more. Weirdly, I only noticed this in a second session. Did I just not see it the first time? Or was my connection actually slightly worse the second time? A strange new conundrum brought about by streaming technology.

Framerate: This was pretty much perfectly stable and smooth. In the hour I played, I only had one noticeable frame dip, when panning the camera through a particularly busy village dock full of ships and merchants. Unfortunately, I couldn't get RivaTuner to work with Chrome for me to accurately count the frames. Additionally, since this is my first-ever Assassin's Creed game, and the combat is rather slow, I have to admit I had a hard time judging the framerate just by eyeballing it. However, from professional outlet impressions there seems to be some consensus that the Project Stream version of Odyssey is running at 30fps. Which makes the most sense, given that the PC version is incredibly taxing even on high-end PCs.

Load times: They're pleasantly fast! Granted, I dunno how long it takes the game to load locally (and even then you've got HDD vs SSD loads, etc). But the "startup load" experienced when beginning a new session from the title screen lasts only around 10 to 15 seconds or so, and the game doesn't seem to do much loading at all after that. Pretty good for a massive open-world game!

Latency: This is, of course, the make-or-break factor for game streaming technology. Obviously I played this with a wired, Ethernet connection. I did, however, decide to perform two different input tests – one with my trusty Xbone controller connected wirelessly, and one with it directly wired.

With a wireless controller, input lag is noticeable, but definitely playable. To my surprise, even with this deliberately-inhibitive setup, we are talking about only milliseconds of time between my pressing the attack button (RB) and the animation starting, and not actual seconds. Being as these are subseconds, and I'm no Digital Foundry-level expert, this was very hard for me to try and time – though I did my best. I want to stress that these are rounded estimates for a service that is still in beta, and reflect just one person's experience. All that being said, with a wireless input, the latency I found was around 50ms.

With a wired controller, input lag was more than halved. Shocking, I know. This made it even harder for me to time; but it was certainly still there, and above the 7-9ms Google says is due to my ISP. Latency with this optimal input method was somewhere between 20 and 25ms.

Multiple people suggested I use gcping.com to more accurately measure the latency of my connection to Google's servers and corroborate my own findings. So I did:
1hMCqLp.png

So, latency from my PC to the nearest Google servers is somewhere around 20 to 30ms. I was honestly surprised that my initial amateur estimates were so on-the-nose, which makes me fairly confident in them. To summarize, when using a controller, the overall input latency of the beta was somewhere between 20 and 50ms in my experience. Not bad at all.

In conclusion, Google really taught me a thing or two about where streaming tech can be in 2018. The latency still needs to be improved, of course, but I have to admit it's way better than I thought it would be, and definitely in a very playable state – especially for a "slow combat" game like AC. Before today I was convinced that if game streaming tech was going to become a real pillar it would do so in that vague future horizon of "5 to 10 years from now". But from what I've just experienced, I feel like this could become a viable product as early as 2020. Microsoft's next-gen "Scarlett Cloud" box no longer sounds so silly.

Now of course, there are still some legitimate concerns to be had here. After all, it may have worked well on my internet, but does that mean the average American household can support this kind of service? Well as it turns out, according to an Akamai report from 2017, the average American internet speed these days is around 19 Mbps – well above the 10Mbps minimum speed for Project Stream, and right up against the low-20s recommended speed. So we actually seem to be okay there. The other big bugbear, of course, is data caps. I can't find any solid data on what percentage of households are affected by this awful practice these days, and I'm fortunate enough to say I've never experienced a cap on my home internet. But how much data would a service like this use? Well, let's assume for the sake of worst-case estimate that the game is using your full 20Mbps connection every second of streaming. That's 9GB of data per hour of gameplay, which stacks up pretty fast; so unfortunately, those of you suffering under caps might still have a real problem with something like this.

Anyway, that was a loooooong write-up, which presumably many of you didn't read it in its entirety (if you did feel free to start your reply with 'Bananas', and remember that we are on the honor system here :P). But that about sums up my new views on this subject. But what about you, Era? Anyone else currently involved in the Project Stream beta had a similar, or completely different experience? Have you read any write-ups from your favorite outlets/journalists that corroborate or reject my own impressions? Are you living in Nowhereburg with a 500kbps connection and feeling really left out by this whole business? Please discuss. I've gotten a very different perspective today, and I'd like to hear yours.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Good to see a sceptic acknowledge a change in their views

Coconico

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I have to say that I was pretty skeptical of the service too giving my in-home streaming efforts with PSNow and even local streaming like Remote Play being quite poor on an otherwise fast connection. While compression certainly made it feel like I was watching a YouTube video, I have to say from a latency perspective--the system is remarkably responsive. As a PC gamer, I could feel the lack of a high framerate but the fact that I was playing a console quality AAA game in my browser was enough of a trade off. I'm very impressed and I'll probably play a few more times just to see how bananas this streaming thing can get.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming is not a problem when you have a decent speed.

I just don't like to be always online when i am playing and for me not able to play due to something that I have no control over (downtime for servicing, game removal, connection issues due to other reasons, etc)

I do think streaming can be like(and be more popular than) VR where it is another niche option for consumer to choose.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Hey banana boy, thanks for the small write up. I hope I get to try this out soon.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm not going to accept that streaming tech is good enough until it can be demonstrated that VR games can be played using it without making people sick, and it works that well 100% of the time.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Stealth bandwidth brag thread?

And yea streaming tech is amazing already for regular games. Surprisingly responsive. Loving Twisted Metal on PS Now.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will eventually work in ideal scenarios for certain genres, but likely never for competitive MP gaming.

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Stealth bandwidth brag thread?
Read the text under that image; my actual speed is nowhere near that, lol. I pay for "up to 100Mbps" or something but I'm lucky if I get like a 10th of that when it's at its best. I'm assuming a 20Mbps speed in the OP purely for argument's sake.

You couldn't tell if it was 30 or 60? That's kind of a big deal. Especially with controller responsiveness and latency.
The problem is that I've never actually played an AssCreed game before and the combat is really slow. I've seen Google claim at least once that it was 60fps and at least one journalist say they got 30fps. So I'm not gonna try to judge that one myself.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Read the text under that image; my actual speed is nowhere near that, lol. I pay for "up to 100Mbps" or something but I'm lucky if I get like a 10th when it's at its best. I'm assuming a 20Mbps speed in the OP purely for argument's sake.
I was just joking bro no worries

I get about 50 to 60 mbps down max and I get great experience from PS Now for reference, in Dallas.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I really do wish I could join in the excitement of this streaming future. Speed is less of a concern, but in a country where Netflix is blocked for a stupid reason and the government can fuck around the internet at will, streaming still relies on a huge external factor full of uncertainty. Unless "Streaming is the future of US gaming" or anywhere where it applied. It's understandable that gaming is going this way, but I do feel a bit left out.

Oct 25, 2017
You kind of lost me when you had 100+ mbps down.

A lot of people have like 5 mbps, very few have more than 20 Mbps. Usually to go a step up over 20 you are looking at adding at least $10- $20 a month for internet, the number of people willing / able to do that is fairly small in the grand scheme. I'd like to know how someone with boarder line recommended bandwidth find the service that's going to be my and the majority of other's experience.

No offense, I don't see the logic in rounding down your bandwidth to 20. You could have gigabit internet and a service like PSN, for example, would never match it, doesn't mean you have less.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't give in to streaming. These pubs only want it so they can eventually stop paying MS/Sony the 30% cut and also take away the idea of owning games. It has 0 benefit to us consumers at the end of the day.

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
You kind of lost me when you had 100+ mbps down.

I'd like to know how someone with boarder line recommended bandwidth find the service that's going to be my and the majority of other's experience.
Again, read the text below the image. My actual speed is probably somewhere between 10 and 20Mbps; for the sake of argument I went aggressive and assumed 25.

Streaming is not a problem when you have a decent speed.

I just don't like to be always online when i am playing and for me not able to play due to something that I have no control over (downtime for servicing, game removal, connection issues due to other reasons, etc)
I really do wish I could join in the excitement of this streaming future. Speed is less of a concern, but in a country where Netflix is blocked for a stupid reason and the government can fuck around the internet at will, streaming still relies on a huge external factor full of uncertainty. Unless "Streaming is the future of US gaming" or anywhere where it applied. It's understandable that gaming is going this way, but I do feel a bit left out.
These are definitely legitimate concerns. It is a silly idea to me that an offline singleplayer game could "go down" with the servers. And in countries that are big on internet censorship I could easily see this being blocked; Google is already on certain censors' blacklists.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just like everything else, streaming games is something that has, and will, take time to get right, but it will get there. I'm excited to see where they can take this.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't give in to streaming. These pubs only want it so they can eventually stop paying MS/Sony the 30% cut and also take away the idea of owning games. It has 0 benefit to us consumers at the end of the day.

This is kind of where I'm at. The convenience of being able to play on any device in your home is the only benefit. And remote play / steam link already offer pretty much that.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
4k is coming so you will need more bandwith in the future.

not really. better compression alleviates a lot of the bandwidth concerns. for instance cable companies were panicking about how outdated they let their networks get when HD arrived but moving to 264 cable boxes allowed them a lot of breathing room. same will happen with 4k using 265 and beyond. there's still a minimum connection speed and data limit required for gaming though.

twisted

Oct 25, 2017
Same for me - I was a skeptic and now I'm sitting here playing Odyssey from Chrome - oh and I'm only on a 50/50. Game is glorious and now I regret upgrading my rig and buying a GSYNC monitor

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

It has several advantages to consumers
No need for expensive hardware : 0 up front cost
Instant load in : no download for a 100gb game
Portability : play on any device in any place.

Those are some pretty big benefits.

That's not to say that I don't want the choice.

You think Ubisoft won't be giving a cut of proceeds to Google? Google are footing all of the infrastructure and R&D bill, so that will need to be paid for.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
The main problem with cloud gaming is the APIs overhead. If you get the rendering pipeline close to the metal, you can reduce the latency significantly.

That's one of the reasons why Khronos and its members built Vulkan.

By next year more cloud gaming providers will appear, they just need a hardware provider that uses open software standards for the GPU virtualization, and not proprietary solutions.

For now, there's only NVIDIA providing cloud gaming hardware, but AMD will show up with their offerings tailored to that industry very soon.

Regarding broadband access; that's why everyone is betting on 5G, which will start to roll out very soon. That will also ease the bandwidth for the stream. But we will have to wait until 2020 to see it being usable for the end consumer.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Owning an NVIDIA Shield changed my mind. I'm very sensitive to input lag, and it's still noticeable, but I have no problems whatsoever playing games, regardless of genre, so it has effectively passed the test for me.

Only thing that sucks about these Betas is that people will still speak of game streaming as a hypothetical due to limited public access. But in reality the technology works and will be good enough for most people when they finally get to experience it for themselves. There will always be people completely intolerant to any hint of input lag, but those people probably don't play on consoles/HDTVs anyway.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

Not only do you not have to pay for hardware, but the server farms can update as frequently as they need. Instead of having to buy a "Pro" mid generation, you will always have the most advanced hardware running your games.

That is a huge plus for everyone- consumers get the best experience possible with no need to purchase hardware, developers are guaranteed a massive customer base with no cross-generational reboot every 6-7 years.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Again, read the text below the image. My actual speed is probably somewhere between 10 and 20Mbps; for the sake of argument I went aggressive and assumed 25.
Yeah, I'm gonna want better sources then your assumptions; many servers just won't push much bandwidth to you, so basing your 'actual' speed on anecdotes from other applications is flawed. If you're running Windows 10, open task manager, click the performance tab and monitor how much bandwidth you're actually using when Project Stream is active. While it's rare for me to break 100 Mb/s down on my 200 Mb/s connection, Steam is capable of consistently pushing 215 Mb/s or so to me when downloading games/updates.

Of course, it's hard to gauge how much Google could realistically use here; even Netflix generally doesn't push above 25 Mb/s for 4k content (though it's decently compressed).

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I might consider streaming for console exclusives if it is an option in the future (so I don't have to buy consoles). It would depend on what works out cheaper (subscription for a few months, or just buying console + games)

For multiplatform games though, I'll buy local version on PC. Mods are too important to me.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Not only do you not have to pay for hardware, but the server farms can update as frequently as they need. Instead of having to buy a "Pro" mid generation, you will always have the most advanced hardware running your games.

That is a huge plus for everyone- consumers get the best experience possible with no need to purchase hardware, developers are guaranteed a massive customer base with no cross-generational reboot every 6-7 years.

This, plus no storage concerns. Not having to download or install games is a huge advantage with streaming, and aside from exclusive games on traditional consoles, I'm never downloading another game to local storage again.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

100% profit to devs mean they got more budget to make more 3rd party games in future. How is that not good?

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm gonna want better sources then your assumptions; many servers just won't push much bandwidth to you, so basing your 'actual' speed on anecdotes from other applications is flawed. If you're running Windows 10, open task manager, click the performance tab and monitor how much bandwidth you're actually using when Project Stream is active. While it's rare for me to break 100 Mb/s down on my 200 Mb/s connection, Steam is capable of consistently pushing 215 Mb/s or so to me when downloading games/updates.

Of course, it's hard to gauge how much Google could realistically use here; even Netflix generally doesn't push above 25 Mb/s for 4k content (though it's decently compressed).
I will definitely do that the next time I run the service and report back. Like I said, I'm very much swimming out of my depth when it comes to this subject, lol. I'd love to see a Digital Foundry breakdown of this service when it goes live.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This, plus no storage concerns. Not having to download or install games is a huge advantage with streaming, and aside from exclusive games on traditional consoles, I'm never downloading another game to local storage again.

If they can nail a monthly subscription service that gives you unlimited access to all new releases and a huge library for a decent price, they will redefine the industry.

paulc

Alt account.
Dec 14, 2017
OP why did you complain about the US having terrible internet when yours is spectacular? Did you just /not know/?

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I will definitely do that the next time I run the service and report back. Like I said, I'm very much swimming out of my depth when it comes to this subject, lol. I'd love to see a Digital Foundry breakdown of this service when it goes live.
No problem! I'm quite curious to see how much it's using; it should be capable of benefiting from more than 25, but I also doubt it'll push 100; I'm just not sure what the extra bandwidth would be used for. Unless compression on video streaming services is even worse than I thought, you should start to run into badly diminishing returns before that point.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
If they can nail a monthly subscription service that gives you unlimited access to all new releases and a huge library for a decent price, they will redefine the industry.

For sure. Though a big prequisite for me is full access to my Steam library. Thankfully, NVIDIA offers that with the Shield. I'd love if Google eventually offered the same access.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They don't have to purchase hardware but get a worse version of the game. No matter how good streaming tech advances it'll never become better than playing it natively. That doesn't matter as much with TV and movies but for games it's critical. Not to mention you then turn every single game into an always online game where it can be removed or turned off any time the publisher wishes and a single hiccup in your connection can get you killed in game.

100% profit to devs mean they got more budget to make more 3rd party games in future. How is that not good?

You're acting like companies reinvest extra profits they gain instead of pocketing most of it for their executives.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm somehow pretty sure Google has the means to give you more download speed then you would normally get.

But it's good to hear that playing games through streaming is allready in a good state. I've always seen this as the future. And if mobile connection speeds will improve (and it will) you could make a handheld device that runs Cyberpunk 2077 in ultra.

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
This may work in countries like USA. For people like us in countries like India we don't even get local multiplayer servers.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They don't have to purchase hardware but get a worse version of the game. No matter how good streaming tech advances it'll never become better than playing it natively. That doesn't matter as much with TV and movies but for games it's critical. Not to mention you then turn every single game into an always online game where it can be removed or turned off any time the publisher wishes and a single hiccup in your connection can get you killed in game.

You're acting like companies reinvest extra profits they gain instead of pocketing most of it for their executives.

You say it like Sony/Microsoft doesn't do that with their 30% cut

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm particularly sensitive to input lag so I will need to try it for myself but it doesn't sound that good to me.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Nice write up, thanks. Banana.

I wonder how serious Google is about this. It seems like the technology is pretty much there (with some room for improvement). So, I think Google's biggest blocker will be getting content. If they don't secure the market quickly enough, we'll probably end up in a situation with a lot of competing services. As we know, Microsoft is already on this.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
They don't have to purchase hardware but get a worse version of the game. No matter how good streaming tech advances it'll never become better than playing it natively.

Well many won't be able to tell the difference, like the dozens of my friends and family members who have personally tried out the service on my Shield in my house, and viewed it as a console. If the difference is imperceptible for some people, whatever difference is there is not going to matter to them. And for those like me who do notice a difference, the service is good enough. On top of that, there's the increase in graphical fidelity.

So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, proper game streaming from a powerful server is a better overall experience than playing locally on a console with weaker hardware. Sue me.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
BananAs someone who lives in a city that isn't considered "major" when it comes to infrastructure and services, I'm not on board with streaming. Not to mention that Canada has a serious telecom problem that will see a lot of people hit with caps that just don't make this realistic and 5G/mobile networks are subject to the same thing.

OP, despite your simple input test, having 9ms to Google's servers is something a lot of people won't get. It could be the future eventually but infrastructure for these types of things rolls out slowly in NA. You also need to reconcile the fact that you acknowledge the "up to" catch of most ISP offerings and yet think it's ok most Americans have on average a 19mbps connection. Odds that it's consistent is low. I still think, in general, most of the infrastructure is lacking across a good portion of NA.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

What's the point of owning anything? Especially disposable media?

I don't feel worse off for not having bought a movie or TV show in the last 5 years thanks to streaming services. In fact it's meant my wife and I been able to conveniently watch (and try out) more movies/TV shows than we would have otherwise. I don't think we will grow old and regret the fact that we don't own all the stuff we've watched together.

The lack of ownership does not diminish the experience nor does it diminish the fond memories you hold of your favourite experiences.

Also, no fucking clutter.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
I see "always playing on the best hardware" as a pro but like...are we sure? Are cable boxes always the best hardware? If you don't have control and don't have choice, what's to say they won't say "good enough" on hardware and not upgrade a generation of video cards?

Will it be better than what the vast majority of people (people, not people on ERA) have? Sure. Will it be better than people who are dedicated PC gamers? Or even better than dedicated console gamers? That's assuming a lot, in my opinion.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
If you don't have control and don't have choice, what's to say they won't say "good enough" on hardware and not upgrade a generation of video cards?

Those companies would upgrade regularly regardless because the data centers are not just for consumers. Efficiency of scalability is also something that generally improves with each generation of cards, so it would literally be in their best interest to continually upgrade. Not to mention that video games still get more and more demanding year after year, so they'd need to upgrade every so often just to make sure new games could even run.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

I'm ready for it. I'm still going to run my own hardware because streaming will be a little watered down compared to local computing. I think its going to help more than hurt, tho.

It could bring a lot of people into gaming. They'll be a mainstream sort of group and they'll have terrible taste *ha* but it will raise all ships. It'll be new blood and new money coming in.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It has certainly changed my tune on the idea of streamiing games, but I'm not blind to how much work they're going to have to do. If they want to get RICH off game streaming, they're going to have o lobby Telcom's EXTREMELY hard, because their greed will keep streaming from being a reality.

I see "always playing on the best hardware" as a pro but like...are we sure? Are cable boxes always the best hardware? If you don't have control and don't have choice, what's to say they won't say "good enough" on hardware and not upgrade a generation of video cards?

Will it be better than what the vast majority of people (people, not people on ERA) have? Sure. Will it be better than people who are dedicated PC gamers? Or even better than dedicated console gamers? That's assuming a lot, in my opinion.
Consumer demand?

I mean, what's stopping them from extending this current generation out until 2024 or doing minor hardware refreshes until 2030? People have clearly shown that they'll buy half steps.