• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I say GOTG, you say...

• Breath of the Wild

Votes: 2,071 59.1%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 1,436 40.9%

• Total voters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Out of those two specific options, Bloodborne. While I enjoy BotW and it's a great game to play with friends over, it's also a mind-blowingly shallow experience that has absolutely no concept of rewarding the player for difficult effort.

Bloodborne just feels more satisfying and its theme is way more unique to me.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Breath of the Wild because I feel like I can relax and just take in the amazing world.

Bloodborne is an incredible experience, but I have to be in a mood to play it and go through the anxiety that game gives me.

Oct 31, 2017
While I know BOTW has its flaws; everything that's in that game is placed with purpose. Every item and object can be utilized and manipulated with the physics and mechanics you're taught. Nothing is placed that cannot be messed with. If you know the rules; you can do amazing things.
The game's world was designed in a way to promote exploration and always has a view of something in the distance to investigate.

It's far from perfect, but it's incredible when playing for the first time.

Bloodborne is really, really good. BOTW is just more special imo. m

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
BOTW for me. That game invoked feelings I thought I'd never feel again as a grown adult playing games. Exploring this vast world and learning things as I went took me back to my younger days.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Witches 3 is my number 1 then BOTW, RDR2, Mario Odyssey, and DQ XI.

I think Bloodbourn took a formula that they already knew worked and tweaked it. Breath of the Wild was a bigger departure from the rest of the games in the series.

Oct 26, 2017
It's not enough. Unlike TW3, BOTW happens to have good gameplay :^)
I don't disagree but, man, his argument has little to no merit here

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Except one is actually one and another is just tired open world garbage. But hey, era can always use another BOTW IS THE BEST GAME EVERY LETS COMPARE IT TO EVERYTHING THREAD I guess.
Yeah, Bloodborne never gets the best game ever threads at all. It's so underrated and gets such little attention on here /s

Also, if BotW is "tired open world garbage", then Bloodborne is "tired Souls garbage"

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I loved both, but Bloodborne just recently replaced ZOOT as my GOAT. For about 75 hours in I though BOTW was the greatest game I ever played, but it really lacks in story, the world at times can feel a bit empty, and the dungeons/bosses are not on par with most Zelda games. Don't get me wrong, BOTW is in my all time Top 10.

Bloodborne just blew me away with its epic bosses, enemy variety, aesthetic, and fascinating/deep lore and story.

I've said this for a while, but if Nintendo can make a BOTW sequel with more compelling bosses and dungeons and a more focused story, then Zelda could once again be king of the mountain for me. BOTW's open world was amazing, but why does the world need to be instantly unlocked; I missed the feeling of getting new items in dungeons and opening the world more gradually.

Why you can't quantify this stuff, I did this breakdown for fun:

Story/Lore - BB (this is not really close, BB's lore is fascinating and unbelievably deep; I could watch videos about it for hours)
World/Setting - Draw - In terms of aesthetic, atmosphere it's BB; in terms of interactivity with the world and variety BOTW
Gameplay - I lean BB; they both obviously control well, BOTW a little more refined and with more gameplay variety; but BOTW can never match BB's intensity and the feeling of accomplishment for besting a boss.
Enemies - lol, BB I mean c'mon
Bosses - lol, BB I mean c'mon
Art Style - BB, although I really like BOTW's art style as perfect for a Zelda; Yarhnam though is just amazingly well executed vision of Victorian and Lovecraftian horror.
Replayability - I'll say Draw - I think BB is more replayable from start to finish and for trying different builds and the DLC and Dungeons add a ton of content; But I put 140+ hours into BOTW although I've never had the urge to play it again or the DLC. The amount of content in BOTW is just amazing though
Music/Sound - I'd give sound to BB and music to BOTW. BB certainly had better voice acting.
Innovation - BOTW - that open world man, its amazing. They schooled everyone on their first attempt at open world.

fwiw, I just platinumed BB; played it after BOTW, GoW, and RDR2. Have not played Witcher 3, but will get to it.

Last edited:

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, neither should be an option. I'm team Witcher 3 as well so maybe that should just be a 3rd option in there? But then team god of war or team red dead would feel left out so a "neither" needs to be an option I think 🤔

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I really dislike this poll.

I have BOTW and I've probably plunked down 15 hours into it and it never really clicked with me. I subsequently put it down and moved on to other things like God of War (which I finished and did almost all the side content).

Bloodborne I also played to completion for all 3 endings and even did most of the Chalice stuff and yet, I probably put more time into Dark Souls 3 or heck even Dark Souls 2 SOTFS and got more enjoyment out of the experience than Bloodborne which I felt removed too many options for a focus on melee combat (I feel Sekiro has a similar issue)... So yeah, even Bloodborne isn't close to my GOTG.

And that's what I'm getting at with this poll. It's such a subjective question that it's insulting...

There are so many ways to quantify games either by sales or hours played or overall enjoyment, but the point is, it's different for everyone, why even insult everyone by picking two YOU feel are the contenders OP?

Why not just opened endedly ask:
"What is your GOTG?"

Oct 26, 2017
I really dislike this poll.

I have BOTW and I've probably plunked down 15 hours into it and it never really clicked with me. I subsequently put it down and moved on to other things like God of War (which I finished and did almost all the side content).

Bloodborne I also played to completion for all 3 endings and even did most of the Chalice stuff and yet, I probably put more time into Dark Souls 3 or heck even Dark Souls 2 SOTFS and got more enjoyment out of the experience than Bloodborne which I felt removed too many options for a focus on melee combat (I feel Sekiro has a similar issue)... So yeah, even Bloodborne isn't close to my GOTG.

And that's what I'm getting at with this poll. It's such a subjective question that it's insulting...

There are so many ways to quantify games either by sales or hours played or overall enjoyment, but the point is, it's different for everyone, why even insult everyone by picking two YOU feel are the contenders OP?

Why not just opened endedly ask:
"What is your GOTG?"
We had a poll before that asked for the GotG, which ended with Zelda being #1 and Bloodborne being #2. This was probably just to see which would pull out ahead in a head to head match up

Feb 10, 2018
Bloodbourne is not universally liked and is pretty niche.
Only sold 3 million.
I'm sure some of the bloodbourne defense force will be triggered by this, but I'm sorry its true.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a weird ass comparison and I say that as someone who really doesn't like BOTW and think its insanely overrated. I love Bloodborne but I'm not sure I would put it as some GOTG or anything.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's Divinity: Original Sin 2.

That game gave me feelings I haven't felt since the golden era of PC gaming. It's an absolute masterpiece and both these games in the OP can't hold a candle to what it offers in terms of depth, story or mechanics.

Wth is this thread? A 2 poll option for 2 games that are clearly not in the conversation for GotG outside of the niche audiences that fell into them head over heels and didn't see their obvious flaws? BotW in particular is just not a masterpiece. It wasn't even GotY for many after they realized what it really was.

GotG should include:

Witcher 3
RDR2
God of War
Fortnite
Horizon Zero Dawn

Feb 10, 2018
How does that have an impact on the quality of the game itself? The game can still be better than Botw in this case.

Depends how you define "quality"
As to a large degree it's just opinion.

I think bloodbourne is massively overhyped and sales do account for something in a debate based on something frivolous as "which game is better"

Oct 26, 2017
Wth is this thread? A 2 poll option for 2 games that are clearly not in the conversation for GotG outside of the niche audiences that fell into them head over heels and didn't see their obvious flaws? BotW in particular is just not a masterpiece. It wasn't even GotY for many after they realized what it really was.

GotG should include:

Witcher 3
RDR2
God of War
Fortnite
Horizon Zero Dawn
If Zelda is only beloved by a niche audience, the likes of The Witcher 3, God of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn are also only beloved by a niche audience. Also, no, it's still the majority 2017 GotY, that hasn't changed. There are plenty of "obvious" flaws in the games you've mentioned as well

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017

I think bloodbourne is massively overhyped and sales do account for something in a debate based on something frivolous as "which game is better"
The same could be said about BOTW, honestly. I'm still having a hard time going back to it after stopping in the village.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

GotG should include:

Witcher 3
RDR2
God of War
Fortnite
Horizon Zero Dawn
Lol both botw and Bloodborne have higher meta scores than H:ZD

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Zelda more so than bloodborne. I'm mean bloodborne is just a niche game highly based off another series.

Zelda is pure inspiration in game form built off concepts of its past games brought to staggering new heights.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne.

It's actually exclusive to this gen.

Uh...so it BotW. It's on 2 consoles this gen. Don't tell me you're one of those who think the Switch is "next gen" and your complaint is that BotW got shared with the future. Also, that seems a really bonkers way of deciding which game is better.

capybara-dive

Nov 1, 2017
BotW stripped out a lot of things I really loved about Zelda games (lots of dungeons, new items in each dungeon, a set path to go through...) It did re-invent Zelda but I just didn't like the way it did it at all, lol.

Whereas Bloodborne always keeps me coming back. I think I've played through it 5 times now which is super unusual for me.

So, Bloodborne it is.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

GotG should include:

Witcher 3
RDR2
God of War
Fortnite
Horizon Zero Dawn

I think if you did a poll here BOTW, Bloodborne, and Witcher 3 would probably get the most votes for GOTG, maybe along with GoW. In fact, I think we had a Bloodborne versus TW3 poll thread and BB won.

These both won many GOTY awards and BOTW was a consensus GOTY winner, in a year that featured HZD.

Niche? BOTW hardly, and while Bloodborne is more for dedicated gamers than a general audience, its certainly not niche on Resetera. And who better to decide GOTG than the subset of gamers who play most of the games?

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
For me its a toss up between BoTW and Witcher 3. I think Witcher 3 takes it by a hair, but BoTW after 100 hours keeps drawing me back in so there's something to be said about it also.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly that goes to Fortnite.

I don't like the genre or the game but let's be real. Fortnite had the biggest impact this generation and still does.

Last generation was easily Modern Warfare.

Are they the "best" games? No. But they sure made the biggest impact.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How does that have an impact on the quality of the game itself? The game can still be better than Botw in this case.
Doesn't have an impact of the quality of the game but the appeal.

When you are talking about the Game of the Generation, the appeal of the game itself has a lot to do with it, not necessarily just the quality itself. It's why a game like Witcher 3 is often brought up even when the reviews are lower.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)

If sales matter that much, than GTA V is the GOAT according to your reasoning, because it is both critically acclaimed and has sold the most copied of any game ever. You never see anyone here claim it is the GOAT though. It's Bloodborne, not Bloodbourne.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Of those two, I'd say Breath of the Wild. But, I think for me, it'd be between Breath of the Wild and Red Dead Redemption 2, and I'd probably favor RDR2.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people are factoring in their personal experiences when judging GOTG. I'd understand if OP asked "What is YOUR GOTG?" but this is a general question which you should answer objectively. For example, I've personally had plenty multiplayer experiences that I feel are better than Fortnite this gen but I understand that Fortnite is the most influential MP experience and likely, we're gonna be able to trace its influence beyond the current generation.

It's obvious to me that the "Souls" games are high quality games I will not deny that. But it's appeal is relatively niche and because of that, it can't be a "Game of the Generation". GOTG isn't just about quality, but also impact and influence. If it were just based on quality, the list could contain as many as 10-15 games.

BOTW gave us a new unique take on a genre that is basically the foundation of modern day gaming. Whether you like BOTW or not you can't deny this: it doesn't hold your hand and tell you where to go and somehow people from kids to adults found high level of enjoyment in this game. It has its flaws for sure, but it's hard to perfect something that hasn't been done before. Because of that new take on the open world genre that BOTW provides, even RDR2 faces some criticism that it would not have otherwise faced had it released before BOTW. I think Super Mario Odyssey, still a great game, slightly suffered in reception because of BOTW. Even Assassins Creed Odyssey has a BOTW Easter egg in it lol. If it hasn't already started, BOTW has impacted the way open world games are developed and we're bound to see even more of its influence going into the next generation.

Last thing: I don't think there's another game this gen that has been openly praised by developers as much as BOTW has. Even the senior designer for Witcher 3 said BOTW raised the bar for open world games. Ubisoft has high praises as well. I think that's what ultimately separates BOTW from other great games like GoW, Bloodborne, RDR2 etc is that it provided so much for gamers and developers alike.

Feb 10, 2018
If sales matter that much, than GTA V is the GOAT according to your reasoning, because it is both critically acclaimed and has sold the most copied of any game ever. You never see anyone here claim it is the GOAT though. It's Bloodborne, not Bloodbourne.

Then what does determine game of the year, or game of the generation, the game with most opinions thinking its GOTY or gotg?
How would one even find this information out.

If Zelda is only beloved by a niche audience, the likes of The Witcher 3, God of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn are also only beloved by a niche audience. Also, no, it's still the majority 2017 GotY, that hasn't changed. There are plenty of "obvious" flaws in the games you've mentioned as well
Lol both botw and Bloodborne have higher meta scores than H:ZD
I think if you did a poll here BOTW, Bloodborne, and Witcher 3 would probably get the most votes for GOTG, maybe along with GoW. In fact, I think we had a Bloodborne versus TW3 poll thread and BB won.

These both won many GOTY awards and BOTW was a consensus GOTY winner, in a year that featured HZD.

Niche? BOTW hardly, and while Bloodborne is more for dedicated gamers than a general audience, its certainly not niche on Resetera. And who better to decide GOTG than the subset of gamers who play most of the games?
What a ridiculous take. Saying BotW is loved by niche audiences...

I could come up with a bunch of flaws for the games you listed too, no game is perfect.

Yes the people who adore and think BotW is a fucking 97(!) is a niche group. Most think it is a good, which it is, but it is full of a ton of design choices that keep it held back. It is more prototype than masterpiece. And BotW2 is the game that would be "GotG" material. Not this. Metacritic scores for games like this (GTAIV comes to mind) often misrepresent the game compared to the field in a moment in time, and often looked back on with better clarity. A 89 for Horizon Zero Dawn is a higher score to many people than a 97 was to BotW. Similar to how a 89 for Dark Souls is higher than a 97 for GTAIV....

I feel bad at the people caught in their own echo chamber here and failing to see/hear beyond that.

Last edited: