• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Is Gotham actually good? It was on TV while I was at the gym, and visually at least, it looked really interesting. Saw it's on Netflix so I may start it one of these days.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Is Gotham actually good? It was on TV while I was at the gym, and visually at least, it looked really interesting. Saw it's on Netflix so I may start it one of these days.

Well it's definitely entertaining. It's complete over the top madness from beginning to end which is fun.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
This show continues to get better and better. I love being able to turn this on and still get surprised at how crazy and out there every thing is.

Oct 25, 2017
Can we take a minute to admire how hilarious it is that a TV show has given us several magnificent Joker designs that are levels of magnitude better than the one in the "DC Cinematic Universe".

Spoilers for upcoming episodes on below image!

untitled6qr9z.png

Cameron Monaghan was born to play this character. When I see him, I honestly see "The Joker".

I cannot say the same about Leto, unfortunately....
I think the Ringleader in correct color scheme would be my favorite live action design of all.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
They are totally going there and I don't know how to feel about it.

I really did want Jerome to be The Joker.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Man this episode was graphic. I'm surprised it was shown on network TV.

OMG an arc that focuses on other villains with no Penguin and Riddler.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
This show continues to get better and better. I love being able to turn this on and still get surprised at how crazy and out there every thing is.
Yeah, I love it. It's such a great ride.

They are totally going there and I don't know how to feel about it.

I really did want Jerome to be The Joker.
Yeah, I guess whether we want to or not we're going to find out one way or the other whether they still intend him to inspire the real thing or maybe they're being coy and maybe something happens to him that ends up making it official.

He's up there with the best Joker's we've gotten, so I totally agree, he should be him.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
What a great episode! The whole diner scene and the opening were probably my favorite parts. And Jesus, that "wedding", ahem, "splash". Next week when!?

Gotham is awesome, but it takes some time to find itself. The first season has the problem that you don't really have an overarching storyline until the last few episodes and also pretty much EVERY somewhat important character is in every episode. That leads to the problem that their stories only continue to advance a little bit.

However, starting season 2, the show somewhat ditches that. We get an overarching plot, smaller 2-3 episode mini arcs and not every character appears in every episode, which helps tremendously. Since then, the show only improved. It's just entertaining madness, start to end.

Oct 25, 2017
First season was super average till the end, they started fixing things after that as they really knew finally what the show wanted to be.

Its absolutely crazy and takes ridiculous turns but still works perfectly as a Batman origin while not being predictable.
Some characters and casting are literally the best renditions of this material.

Lastly production design and quality is literally the best thing you will ever see on network TV,
It feels like it would require a HBO/Netflix budget.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017

The best way I can describe it is that it's the designs and setting of the animated series, with the crime stories and violence of the Nolan movies, but the camp of the 1966 Batman show. If you can embrace the insanity, it's one of the best things on TV.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

S1 is very grounded outside a few moments and while good it not until S2 onwards things get amazing.

I think it the best comic show on TV so if you give it a try know that S2 is a big step up.

Nov 6, 2017
Not a fan of Barbara and it kind of annoys me that she keeps getting bigger parts in the show. The guy playing Ras was doing a good job. Bring him back pls. Other than that, solid episode with the trio villains though I'd wish they would reveal the real joker or at least make jerome the joker. Also still dont get how Jim saved all those people. Felt kinda eh?

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of Barbara and it kind of annoys me that she keeps getting bigger parts in the show. The guy playing Ras was doing a good job. Bring him back pls. Other than that, solid episode with the trio villains though I'd wish they would reveal the real joker or at least make jerome the joker. Also still dont get how Jim saved all those people. Felt kinda eh?

Mad Hatter set it up so that if he tried to get the people to save themselves, that would trigger a jump.

So he had them save each other instead.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
That was a great episode. One of the best ever.

The mass escape of Arkham has been done several times in the comics. This show did a fine job. Gerome was doing Nicholson. Tetch back in fine form.
Young master Bruce still needs some work to deal with strongmen. Nice to see the teens back working together. Just kiss the Cat already.
I like Barbara. Now she's got a league to work with. A new gang to cause havoc.
Nice save by Jim. One small step for Gotham citizens, one giant save for Commissioner Gordon.
Really good intense, dramatic episode. Bullock delivers one of the best lines that sums up this entire show... "There are no heroes here."

Give this episode, One of my Three Soups, an Emmy.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, I just had a thought on who Jerome is looking for.

His long-lost twin brother, another character played by Cameron, who will turn out to be the Joker after all. The whole "Jerome isn't the joker" thing is a ruse.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solid Episode

Love what they're (finally) doing with Barbara. Feels like a "make good" seeing as they've done nothing with that character in forever and actually gave her a purpose now. Plus the actress/character finally seems to be in a spot that might work for her. We'll see how it works out but seeing as how there's not a ton of good women characters on the show, it would be good to have, even if this new leadership role isn't exactly something her character has built up to or earned.

Jerome gotta Jerome and he's great. Love the suit.

Solid Bullock and Jim story in this ep. Just a good GCPD storyline.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tetch is such an overblown character... if he can literally talk and people listen to him, he was OP... he is a plot device at this point than an actual villain character that is interesting. I was sick of his arc in the previous seasons... overstayed his welcome imo.

Crane also was used as... what... just to show obviously they recast the guy to look more like classic Crane/Scarecrow, but he didn't actually contribute much.

This was mainly about Jerome getting out.... which is great.

They keep revving up that Bruce/Selina dynamic... so much subtle flirtation, but I am kinda past it now.

The Diner Car sequence felt too minimalistic for me... I was hoping for something truly creative and insane for a character like Jerome... burning hot soup... gun shots... this is low-key and uninteresting for 3 people who will be infamous characters who tangle on a semi-regular basis in the future.

Barbara being the Demon's Head for now cuz Rha's is in her head... fine... so now we got the all-girl League of Shadows... which btw... is a great way to distinguish their take from Arrowverse... they are referencing the Nolan Trilogy name instead.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't had a chance to finish the episode yet but holy shit at the wrecking ball scene...

This show can be pretty fucking bleak at times.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I told you Gordon would be up and about with no ill effects from being shot five times last episode. Bless this stupid show.

If you enjoy camp insanity with hammy acting, great production design/cinematography and ludicrous plotting, yes it's a good romp. It's like Batman: Arkham Asylum crossed with Adam West Batman.

I feel as if it reached new heights this past season (4), by pacing itself better and with more coherent character work, so it's engaging as well as entertainingly goofy.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My one issue with the Bruce stuff at this point is that the actor has *got* to start bulking up. Kid's still crazy skinny. Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with how they're handling all the characters. Barbra becoming the Demon's Head isn't something I would've anticipated... uh, ever. Remember how she used to be a museum curator?

Mighty Chin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just started watching the last episode.
Holy Shit just imagine if this was an actual Batman TV show, it would be the greatest Comic Book Show Ever.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
My one issue with the Bruce stuff at this point is that the actor has *got* to start bulking up. Kid's still crazy skinny. Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with how they're handling all the characters. Barbra becoming the Demon's Head isn't something I would've anticipated... uh, ever. Remember how she used to be a museum curator?
It's absolutely crazy the job they've done turning Barbara's character completely around since the back half of S1 or so lol.

I thought his fight scene this week did a good job playing into how he's going to need to do so in order to be more capable of taking on such oversized guys like that and how he's going to still need to compensate right now. I liked that moment when we got that wider shot as it registered just how big that guy was lol. That said, yeah if possible it'd be cool to see his actor start bulking up at least some to further go along with these new skills his character is starting to employ and experiment with. I liked his actor from the beginning as the character and how he's handled this "Bruce finally starting to seriously experiment out there" aspect of the show that we've started to get into now, so I hope they intend on continuing to show us him evolving in these fights, how he's going to deal with still being rather young in them, continuing to train with Alfred, working on improving his "personas", etc. now that we are back to it after his detour in the middle of the season.

My favorite show at the moment along with AoS. Always especially look forward to watching it live since it's such a wild show. Once it settled in it somehow melded so many different tones simultaneously that it's kind of crazy. I also love how the show looks. What will probably decide it for you is if you enjoy its unique tone and how it gets better and better as it further embraces that Gotham insanity.

Even at the beginning when it's inconsistent and trying to settle in you could already tell the casting was special. So many of them just feel so right in these iconic roles, and somehow it just keeps going as the character list expands, and watching both Gordon's and Bruce's actors continuously improve and add to their characters as the two lead characters get more "experience" as the story progresses has been really satisfying.

This new Ivy we just got I think finally got her right too.

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna catch up now, haven't been here since we came back from the break.

Episode 12 was really good, so many things happened. Unfortunate that Toy Maker only lasted an episode, but if they are lining up his son then we're all good. It was nice to see Harvey and Alfred team up, we need more of that. And man, poor Alfred going through all this shit. New Ivy is great, finally they establish her fully with all her poisonous powers. I love it, since Poison Ivy is probably my second favorite Batman villain after The Riddler. And did I say that I love that his alter ego is messing with his head again.

I love this show.

On to episode 13!

Btw, are we on a break again? No new episode aired today?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 13. I'm loving this arc with Ivy, and the effects we see with these plants forming. And the entire GCPD being hypnotized to love her was so funny. And damn were we Batman there with a fat B in that dream of Bruce. Was actually cool seeing that cape form into bats. I'm still not entirely sold on this Joker though, ugh, it's just so cringe. Sometimes I do like his delivery of his lines, but many times I don't. Maybe I'll come fully around to him in time but it's sure taking its time. I wonder if the Riddler really is gonna help out Penguin, or if he have ulterior motives. I'm also liking how Sofia is slowly getting back into the picture, and I hope they do something more interesting with Lee now that just trying to fix the Narrows. And finally Bruce is coming to his senses, it took its time, but nice to see him take back Alfred cause he don't deserve to be out there in the wild defending himself.

Oh, how could I forget about Penguin's mime scene with Joker, lol that was so great I wondered what was actually happening.

Episode 14. YES he is burning the mask! That hideous thing had to go. Now give us Batman soon. I love that effect when Ivy blows the flower, and it's a beautiful plant to begin with. I love that Alfred gave Bruce the cold shoulder after everything that he has done. And that he mentioned he isn't a friend, that he was hit butler and he fired him. Lol at Nygma rewarding the kids with encyclopedias that nobody's interested in, and then offering the 20 bucks. Ivy got Gotham on its knees seriously. Nice trick question there Jim, making Harvey look for Ivy ha. Actually Lee taking responsibility for the Narrows is a good development for her character now that I think about it. It's way better than just being a doctor. Moving speech there Bruce, good you got it together. Loved that shot of him and the Wayne Foundation in the background. Oh man Sofia is brutal. Watching that was hurtful. I like her character, I actually think she's one of the best on the show so I would hope she's also here next season but won't mind if she's not. I do need Ivy to be a regular even after her current arc though.

Last edited:

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Finally caught up with the last 5 episodes on Fox's website and just wanted to say I absolutely love this show and I hope that we get a season 5 announcement soon!

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
They just need to make Jerome the Actual Joker already! He's already the best on-screen depiction of the Character to date. Name bedamned

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Does any show make its Extras do as much acting as Gotham?

Arkham patients, the Narrows arenea, people dying, fighting, there's literally something every episode.

I'm actually curious if something else comes close.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, then you become something else...
which is what?
Legend...