CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I admit it definitely sank in the public consciousness fast than I thought it would, especially since it's not like October was filled with massive releases to steal its thunder. It's a bit surprising, the game needed work but I feel like it wasn't in such a bad state that it couldn't coast at least a few months just based on the IP.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
The campaign was pretty fun. The GaaS part is ironically where the game falls apart.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
better looking costumes too

Indeed.

FNSGl73.gif

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Enough glitches and bugs to make Bethesda say daaaaaaamn will do that.

Not to mention 2 actual marvel bosses, reused assets everywhere, repeated mission structure, and lack of actual endgame content.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
I had fun with what I played and I played enough to justify the price tag. That said, at one point, there was just not enough content to play it. And the state of the game was atrocious.

I'll get back when/if they release the PS5 patch and a few new activities/characters.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
The fact that they couldn't get the next generation versions out this year made me forget about getting deeper in. Too many better games to play to wait for them to fix this mess.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
probably the most technically unpolished game I've ever played

just bug after bug after bug, and then a 1000+ bugfix patch that just broke more shit

just astounding

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
A case of trying to go too big too fast. Should've just stuck with making a AAA Avengers co-op game and left it at that (with potential for more DLC).

Unsure what it is about Square Enix really trying to push their western side towards these big projects that don't seem to pan out.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
I had fun for awhile, and its still a fine game to mindlessly grind while listening to a podcast. But yeah, it's pretty dead right now.

However, I could totally see it being awesome a year from now.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I admit it definitely sank in the public consciousness fast than I thought it would, especially since it's not like October was filled with massive releases to steal its thunder. It's a bit surprising, the game needed work but I feel like it wasn't in such a bad state that it couldn't coast at least a few months just based on the IP.
That's the thing, Marvel fans did not have to settle when they knew a much better game, not to mention a follow up to the single best selling Marvel game ever, was coming out in a couple of months.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I enjoyed the game but there were too many bugs. Every session I would crash or freeze and have to restart partway through a mission. With the load times it just became too frustrating having to restart so often. I'll probably go back to it once the next gen versions come out and the bugs get fixed, assuming they continue to support with new heroes.

Hedgey

Oct 29, 2017
I just picked it up here in Tokyo for 1780 yen (~$17USD).
Playing through the story but I can't see myself wanting to play this with people. The physics are so goofy.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played the beta, but I honestly would have preferred a big budget take on Ultimate Alliance rather than what we got. This really didn't need to be a loot game.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Did it really? I actually bought it but never got a chance to play it lol. I've been taking a break from gaming for a few months and am waiting for the PS5 to start playing again. It would suck if it's no longer populated with people. Maybe the next gen update will bring people back?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
We were supposed to have the first DLC character by now, yet there's still nothing.
People can say what they want but this is the real issue right here. They pushed back all the ongoing content that was meant to keep you coming back so that they could fix the multitude of crazy bugs they had during the launch period. Not to mention the things they have added have been underwhelming (Mega Hive and Tachyon Rifts). Characters and new story content will have people returning eventually (especially when like BP comes out), but the drop off is going to be steeper than it would have been because of how much time there will be in between.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I only played the beta. Did the encounter design improve between the beta and the base game?

The combat mechanics were quite solid, but the combat encounters were filled with spongy enemies, offscreen cheap shots, and so many particle effects you were struck blind half the time.

On the other hand I've been playing Ghost of Tsushima Legends recently, which has very satisfying combat but also well thought out encounter design (except for those goddamn Crow Belchers). I played it and thought that Avengers could probably have learned a thing or two from it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looked terrible from the start, and ended up be worse then my already low expectations.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Even Destiny can only barely be Destiny. Everybody else trying to replace what it does is in for a super uphill climb in terms of retaining players after the first few months of hotness.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah like I said...

That rights deal is gonna get messy sooner or later.
I mean, I don't really see why it would change. Sony won't sell back Spiderman movie rights since it's lucrative and a great bargaining chip so Marvel/Disney will likely just keep exchanging video game rights for Spiderman movies.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Game did not inspire confidence from the start. It always looked janky to me.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I wonder was this game always destined to be crap or if it could have been salvaged in a non COVID timeline.

I still think the combat has some neat stuff in it but it feels so unfinished.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't really see why it would change. Sony won't sell back Spiderman movie rights since it's lucrative and a great bargaining chip so Marvel/Disney will likely just keep exchanging video game rights for Spiderman movies.

I don't know if the movie rights have anything to do with this game.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The post-launch support has been abysmal. The loot and endgame is garbage so there's nothing to do until they add new heroes/missions.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Like... no one is playing it anymore. It's a shame, I think the gameplay is solid and if this was just a campaign story campaign, it would be really solid and probably have more people talking about... but as an online service game... oof, it failed miserably. We were supposed to have the first DLC character by now, yet there's still nothing.

I'm guessing they're just gonna relaunch the game in a few months and hope it turns out better there, but will it? We shall see...
It would be fine as a GAAS game if the whole game part was actually fun and fleshed out. They picked the blandest costumes, the blandest enemies and the blandest villains you could ever imagine from the Marvel Universe. Add in the fact that it came in super buggy, yeah this game kind of got what it deserved. I have no idea why they did dive deep into marvel's villains but two (or three if you include the main game) is atrocious.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
If this game had released in the same state during the time between Infinity War and End Game, it would have done much better. They missed their window.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Campaign was pretty good from a story perspective, but you never got much of a chance to level up any characters to see even their basic abilities. Then the endgame was underbaked, wildly unbalanced, and extremely glitchy.

Some of the issues have been fixed, and now content and next gen versions are pushed back. I feel like the scramble here is just too little too late, people have been soured on the game and I'm not sure it comes back. I think if the game was entirely delayed and had a better rollout it would have had a better chance.

I enjoyed playing Iron Man at max level, and even a basic Destiny copy of a grind would keep me engaged. But the rampant bugs and total drop-off from the community has made it almost impossible to play now. I still hope it gets an injection of interest when the next gen versions launch.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the game. But, I was done with it the moment I finished it. There was just nothing there worth dedicating more time to.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think it will get a boost again when next gen version drops. I bought it but im waiting to play it