• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
The basic gameplay was never good enough for extended multiplayer. And then you have the technical problems and lack of variety on top of that.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, they did a bad job.

the game sold really well based on the IP and it's wild to drop the ball like that on such a homerun IP.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this (and Anthem) with use the next-gen version release as a 2nd chance at life.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I haven't even claimed their big gift that they gave out recently. Is that still active?

Need one more trophy for platinum, need to force myself through that.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously not the first to say this, but they could have had a franchise-starter here if they didn't go the GaaS route. If they did a solid 15-20 hr story campaign with optional co-op people would have loved it and would be clamoring for a sequel already. But, alas.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Obviously not the first to say this, but they could have had a franchise-starter here if they didn't go the GaaS route. If they did a solid 15-20 hr story campaign with optional co-op people would have loved it. But, alas.
That might be true, but the issue isn't that it was gaas, it's that it was implemented in the worst way possible. Lack of content. Super buggy launch. No memorable villains. Costume pieces with no visible changes which leads to no reason to grind. Even the characters with the more interesting costumes are still super safe.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think if they dropped the Gaas thing and put 100% of the effort on making the sp campaign, it would be a stellar game

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
After the most recent update I am finally able to play it.The campaign was too short for me and the content after that is the same thing over and over again. A big part of the game is the harm missions and I spent a great deal of time there.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, it's out? Lmao.

Totally forgot about it, all I remember is that trailer and how odd looking some heroes were.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The game is pretty bad. I think its merits are overstated. Yes combos can look flashy but the enemy AI is quite dull. It's not a very engaging game.

This is from the beta on the highest difficulty...

Most of the time you can just loop your bnb over and over. It just seems like a fairly thoughtless experience.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Did they improve Hulk's jumping speed and movement speed? I haven't gotten the game and want Hulk to play as he does in Ultimate Destruction. A durable powerhouse.

Oct 27, 2017
I think if they dropped the Gaas thing and put 100% of the effort on making the sp campaign, it would be a stellar game
Honestly it being GAAS Isn't really the problem. Once you get the idea that it's essentially a third person Diablo, minus some of the depth, I think it's actually a lot of fun in that format works well for it.
The problem is the endgame content is not very deep and a lot of it has been recycled for the entire time the game has been out already. Clearly they're planning some new heroes which will liven things up a bit but the actual missions you run and the bosses you fight are the exact same few every time.

This is a recurring problem games like this run into. I'm not really sure what the solution here is, but there are some core mechanics that are a lot of fun. Captain America for example is an absolute blast to play, but there's only so many times you could recycle the same five maps and the same enemies before even that gets boring.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Like Anthem they just didn't seem to have an end game plan, not sure what they were thinking. Why would you invest SO MUCH MONEY into this game, literally hundreds of millions and not have a detailed plan for those first few years set in stone?

Thing is they did have an endgame plan, they detailed a ton of endgame content and new stuff to come, but the game launched with no endgame, and we have heard almost no news and getting no updates of when the hell it's even coming. You talked all bout this for months and then... nothing?

We got the game and finish the story and level up characters and theres nothing to do. Where is all this end game you spoke about and said is coming? Why did it launch with zero end game material. It's literally just play and level up your character and that's it, there is no special content to run, nothing.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
As a marvel fan I didn't get this game the beta was boring and I'm sick of Destiny Clones

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I had zero interest in this game but my son really wanted it and traded a bunch of his games to get it. I had to cover about $20 for him. I ended up really digging the campaign. But absolutely no interest in the mp. I got my $20 worth.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
We've seen this coming since the first trailer came out. Game sadly never looked appealing which is impressive considering the IP behind it

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I made it to the point in SP where Iron Man has joined your team and you're looking for secret bases in the snow. By that point, I'd already become so bored with the campaign that I just couldn't bring myself to finish. When the campaign feels like a grind, I couldn't imagine MP being any better. The combat isn't tight enough to support a MP experience. At all.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Thing is they did have an endgame plan, they detailed a ton of endgame content and new stuff to come, but the game launched with no endgame, and we have heard almost no news and getting no updates of when the hell it's even coming. You talked all bout this for months and then... nothing?

We got the game and finish the story and level up characters and theres nothing to do. Where is all this end game you spoke about and said is coming? Why did it launch with zero end game material. It's literally just play and level up your character and that's it, there is no special content to run, nothing.
Bingo. I legit stopped leveling the power level of the characters because there was literally no reason to do more.

Unlike a lot of folks in this thread, I really liked the combat and felt like they had a strong setup for making some cool hero combinations along with the different elements/tech. They just needed a reason to showcase what was under the hood and instead there was a single player hive.

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely don't regret buying it. I liked the single player campaign and had enough fun with the end game stuff to not feel like I wasted my money. But for the last few weeks, I've only logged in to get their "Sorry We Fucked Up" bundles of materials and store money.

Still, I like the way most of the characters feel to play, and it will always be fun to pin someone to a wall with Mjolnir and then headbutt someone to death.

Oct 24, 2019
The game is pretty bad. I think its merits are overstated. Yes combos can look flashy but the enemy AI is quite dull. It's not a very engaging game.

This is from the beta on the highest difficulty...

Most of the time you can just loop your bnb over and over. It just seems like a fairly thoughtless experience.

Just gotta say it's hard to take criticism seriously when it's based on the beta lol.

Your criticism might be valid, but you should use footage from the actual game

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps they should of focused solely on the single player, instead of chasing the greedy GaaS money.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this game could have been an amazing idea until it tried two things:

- GaaS
-Destiny Style Looter

This could have been a great story game witn 4 player co op going through some of the avengers biggest events such as the Kree Skull War etc.

Honestly people are rejecting GaaS unless their is worthwhile content and alot of recent games Anthem and Avengers have barely anything

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's just so very very uninspired and mediocre that it almost hurts. Like nothing about this game seems interesting in any way.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Who wants to fight Taskmaster and Abomination again

anyone?

anyone?

helloooooo
The fact that was the best villains they could get is so dumb, literally boring choices instead of any popular ones and before you say

Loki, he doesn't count as he only appears for one mission irrelevant to the story and is disguised as Thor the entire time

Phoenix Down

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not dead according to the devs. They have a big patch coming . They will ride the next gen will and be back on top.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A big problem with these GaaS looters after Destiny 1 & 2 is that they fail to learn from Bungie's mistakes and successes. It happened with Anthem and it happened with Avengers. Division 2 is the only one that I'd say did a good job out of the gate and has had solid post-launch support, though it came after they had their own ups and downs with the first game.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My plan was to always wait until this game simmers awhile after release and has more content and for it to get next gen upgrades and have Spiderman and is on sale.

Looks like the stars are going to have to align for all those things to happen now. I would never ever buy a Gaas game at launch.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game felt like it was made by boomers trying to reverse engineer other, more successful games.
"Marvel's popular, Destiny is popular, so if we combine the two it'll be the biggest game ever!"

In reality, they should've made a single-player game like Spider-Man.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
That's because it's rubbish. It's repetitive, shallow tripe. Easily the most disappointing game of the year.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that was the best villains they could get is so dumb, literally boring choices instead of any popular ones and before you say

Loki, he doesn't count as he only appears for one mission irrelevant to the story and is disguised as Thor the entire time

Y'know it's kinda funny that the game with a much cheaper budget (Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3) probably had a more successful lifespan than this AAA Avengers game did.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Love both Marvel and video games. I should have been an easy mark for this. But it just didn't look fun and being a GaaS looter turned me off.