• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly doesn't bode well for Suicide Squad or Gotham Knights.

I don't think people care for stat-chasing in their Superhero games.

Oct 24, 2019
Why would I buy the game after such a terrible experience? I know it isn't much different because I've seen my friends play it. That footage I linked wasn't even my gameplay, it was a friends.

Commercial betas like the one released for Marvel's Avengers are released primarily to advertise the game, to serve as a demo. They're labelled beta and attached to pre-order incentives so that folks feel priveledged to have the opportunity to play them. Take it from me, someone who has seen these conversations internally.

From what I've seen of the full game, the game is trivial in difficulty and very repetitive. Perhaps not so bad as the example I linked (which is not my video, but a friends) but pretty damn repetitive. I think the bulk of the problems stem from designing a game for a very diverse roster of characters with different capabilities. So rather than being all that threatening, the easy solution to that balancing problem is to just make the game rather simplistic on the AI side of things.

In any case, it's just not for me based on what I have played/seen.

I'm just saying it seems silly to make definitive statements based on a beta experience, since games *always* change between beta and full release.

I'm not saying you should magically start liking the game or anything, it's of course totally fine that it's not for you. I'm just leery of anyone using stuff from betas as evidence, that's all lol

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I mean I have the full game and I don't think the beta was an inaccurate representation of the game.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well they delayed their big chance to get people back on board (the next gen port) to who the fuck knows next year. They could have salvaged the game.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Everything about this game to me screams "could be a great game....in like a year or two." Like there's just enough going right in there that when it clicks together it really fucking clicks together, but there's so much keeping it from doing it consistently, the first being the shit-ton of bugs and stability and porting issues, the second being the sheer lack of endgame content that really needs to be kicked in sooner rather than later. I can see this potentially rebounding when the next-gen versions come out, the question is whether or not it's going to make it.

For better and for worse Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights look like significantly smaller and more refined experiences compared to Avengers. For better because Avengers seems to have clearly been outdone by its own ambition while SS and GK look more reliably functioning and safe and achieving in what they're intended to do. For worse because if Avengers does manage to fix itself and get rolling then it's got a whole lot more going for it long-term (at least compared to GK, since we know nothing about SS).

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Because it sucks.

The campaign was alright, but the GAAS stuff was terrible. Boring. Then on top of the crashes and bugs. Yeah, it was a waste of time.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think this game needed to be a singleplayer 20-30 hour cinematic story. Semi-open world. That being said. I have not played it. I just know that I love the spiderman game. It did story perfectly.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who likes it, it is still a technical mess and essentially still in beta. It's being fixed and things like prices/matchmaking are in fact being addressed but they really shouldn't have been problems to begin with. And now given the pandemic circumstances, fixes will take longer. The campaign is def worth 20 bucks. Once inevitable fire sales happen, might be worth a grab for marvel heads bc the combat is really fun.

But this really needs more end game content, rerolls and stability. Kate got delayed so they can clean up the mess -- which says everything. It's also quite telling that Ghosts of Tsushima got an ADD-ON MODE that does what Avengers set out do but MUCH better and with loot, to boot.

Here's hoping for a 2.0 relaunch in 6 months. It's not ready for primetime. I want it to be fixed because it's fun.

Have a feeling this will be f2p in a year tbh.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Amazingly fun combat, with lots of bugs and a lot of recycled content. I personally adored the campaign (minus the crashes) and wish the coop content matched the quality of some of the single player missions (that last level was LIT fam. I hope they do stuff like that for "raids"). The matchmaking not working well at all when they actually had an audience was the nail on the coffin. I still enjoy playing it but I'm basically forced to play it single player at this point, which sucks because I hate playing with the 3 mindless bots. Would be so much better if you could switch between your team like in Ultimate Alliance.

I hope they turn things around with added content and gameplay tweaks. As usual with these kinds of GaaS launches, I expect it to be a full fledged great game in a year from now.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the game had no bugs I doubt I'd still be playing it now. The campaign was good but the repeatable end game content isn't.

not_smiff

Oct 31, 2017
The fucked up not making a great co op story game. Idk how we had a MUA3 and this game both failed to deliver a great experience. GaaS was not the move here

KamiCrit

Oct 27, 2017
Western Canada
Thread got me looking at the charts for this game

Went from 30k to 1k in about a month. I wonder if this'll make Square more wary of American IPs.

steamdb.info

Marvel's Avengers · AppID: 997070

Assemble your team of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, embrace your powers, and live your Super Hero dreams. Marvel's Avengers Steam charts, data, update history.
xCfF8lf.png

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
The single player campaign is the most amazing part of the game...

Unfortunately you can never play it over again once you beat it. Real shame.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Died? Did it ever truly have life to begin with?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
For better and for worse Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights look like significantly smaller and more refined experiences compared to Avengers. For better because Avengers seems to have clearly been outdone by its own ambition while SS and GK look more reliably functioning and safe and achieving in what they're intended to do. For worse because if Avengers does manage to fix itself and get rolling then it's got a whole lot more going for it long-term (at least compared to GK, since we know nothing about SS).
I have no doubt its some sort of live service game because a) its clearly a game made for co-op and b) it's Warner Bros. They've hopped on every gaming trend the last decade from online passes to season passes to loot boxes to whatever the hell that mobile harry potter game was.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I have no doubt its some sort of live service game because a) its clearly a game made for co-op and b) it's Warner Bros. They've hopped on every gaming trend the last decade from online passes to season passes to loot boxes to whatever the hell that mobile harry potter game was.

Oh definitely, and I figure you're talking about Suicide Squad but it'll most likely apply to Gotham Knights as well. And they'll most likely in an actual functioning state at release, the question is how much longevity are you going to get out of "Arkham co-op missions with not-Batman" and "Suicide Squad-themed hero shooter". Avengers' sell of "large-scale MUA" could actually work really well for a really long time, it just has to actually work and actually have a variety of things to do.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I will enter every thread about this to complain about the insane and stupid call to only include three villains.

I can't even believe that another villain hasn't been in an update. What were they thinking? It's the whole point of using Marvel heroes is to fight Marvel villains. We can fight mechs and grunts in ANY game.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well its a bad game, why would anyone continue?

gameplay is weak, launch multiplayer was broken, endgame non existent, borderline gacha mechanics.

the devs fucked up.

SaaS games clearly are very difficult to create. Name one that was good on launch?

I say this as Destiny die hard, and a fan of The Division.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are under estimating how good the core gameplay is. The gameplay is fun. Technical aspects really were awful. Didn't stop me from playing a good amount of it. I'm sure they'll put a lot of work into it and it'll be better in a year or so. I'll come back then and jump in occasionally.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
I will enter every thread about this to complain about the insane and stupid call to only include three villains.
I support you every step of the way.

It's surreal to think that anyone who played through half of the beta (less than that, maybe?) saw every supervillain in the game short of the final boss.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo and thought it was absolutely awful. The Taskmaster boss was just...a complete joke. It made me miss Marvel Heroes, man.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017

I think it's less that and more that with these live GaaS titles (like MMOs back in the day), you have to stick the landing. It doesn't matter what the production budget was, it doesn't matter how much you marketed it, and it doesn't matter how popular the IP is. It matters that the game is fun, that the grind is not too steep, that the experience is overall a good one, and that most importantly the loot and leveling systems are good and that you have a robust endgame. You can't get people addicted to your game when you made sacrifices in terms of gameplay systems in order to give players something to grind, but you completely botched all the hooks that will keep them playing. If GK or SS launch as complete titles with those things in mind, they can be very successful. If they launch just yet another game with the same problems like Anthem or this, they'll likely get the same result.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
meh, they've committed to updating it for a year at least... from a personal/player perspective, it's okay to put the game down for a bit and come back to it, it's not like it's going to remain static.

i dont really understand the obsession with engagement/business side of it tbh, maybe Square-Enix/CD look at as a success if im buying skins and playing every day, but i don't... knowing it's going to add new shit and heroes over the next year that i'll get enjoyment out of likely without paying a penny more is good enough for me

and im sure it'll get a nice boost with the PS5/Spiderman edition

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
As a marvel movie only fan, I didn't want to play as characters I didn't know. That's why I didn't get it, plus the spiderman exclusive bs.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I still stand by the opinion that they should have just temporarily delayed it and still give it time to cook because clearly, releasing it in the state it's in wasn't worth it since people are barely playing it. The reality is, it'll likely get a small revival via Black Friday sales assuming they do a good discount across all platforms. It's sad because with more time they could have done something real special, but it is what it is. I'm still happy I never bought it day one despite loving Marvel.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
There isn't enough room in the market for all of the big GaaS games that publishers are trying to hit a home run with. It's like when they were all trying to sell MMORPGs – there are a small number of dominant titles, a bunch are going to flop, and publishers will finally give up and move on to chasing the next big trend.

Last edited:

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Including a shit-ass Fortnite-style skin store just for that added layer of FOMO was particularly gross. They know this is a game that would have huge appeal to kids.

The skins were largely terrible on top of that.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I'm just saying it seems silly to make definitive statements based on a beta experience, since games *always* change between beta and full release.

I'm not saying you should magically start liking the game or anything, it's of course totally fine that it's not for you. I'm just leery of anyone using stuff from betas as evidence, that's all lol
If it was truly an actual beta. Betas of this generation have usually been within a few weeks of launch and that is never enough time to "change" the game before launch. You may see a few critical bug fixes but it's usually just to test server load and a LOT of the criticisms people have during the "beta" are still there after release.

Also, attaching a beta to pre-orders speak volumes in and of itself. How is someone suppose to change their mind based on what was played if their digital pre-order is already locked in which guarantees a purchase even if they hated it?

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
I mean the fact you couldnt customize or create your own hero in this type of game, i knew it was going to fail fast, whats the point of collecting all this gear an cool shit an your character doesnt even look different, thats the whole point of these kind of games.Not only that, everyone else you meet are damn near using the same fucking characters because you only have a handful to choose from, even if the loadouts are different. Had this been a Create your own hero an have the real heroes as mentors / playable in the single player modes (an maybe even stock real Avengers for MP) it would've done far better.

Its a damn shame now that Sony bought Insomniac we probably will never get the Ultimate Avengers game we couldve probably gotten sigh. I dont see Marvel letting Sony make a Avengers game an only keep it to there platform

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Avengers on PC is still constantly crashing and a game breaking bug filled thing. Will play it again once it's playable. I haven't seen a game as buggy as it ever, if you told me this was still in alpha I'd believe you.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Sub $20 or game pass. I do want the ps4 version for spider-man but i didn't like the performance in the beta.