• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, they've been acting like the Republic of Ireland should just bend to their will like it's the 1800s.
I guess brexit really is the best example of why the EU is godsend for small countries like ireland. Imagine what the tories would do to ireland without backing of france, germany and the rest of the EU.

Ireland is basically defining the future relationship between britain and the continent.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
The UK needs to give the EU a reason to come back to the table. Complaining that the deal they negotiated in good faith with UK representatives is an insult or unreasonable will never be enough. Being open to having the border be in the Irish sea? That would be enough.
Agreed. Although it's not clear what BoJo wants or what can pass Parliament
Even if boris comes out of elections with a super majority the WA will not be touched. Negotiations are over. The EU negotiators have been promoted or work in other positions now.

The declaration of the future relationship can be changed because it is no legal document and just a bunch of declarations.
The WA won't be touched though.
Slight tweaks to the WA (regarding the backstop) do not require a massive team to negotiate.

If that's the difference between an orderly exit and chaotic one (big if), the EU will accept them.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We've got the point that ERG and the like won't even accept a deal without the backstop, they will never stop asking for more.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Slight tweaks to the WA (regarding the backstop) do not require a massive team to negotiate.

If that's the difference between an orderly exit and chaotic one (big if), the EU will accept them.
Slight tweaks aren't gonna do it mate. Even if the backstop is completely dropped brexiteers will vote it down.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I guess brexit really is the best example of why the EU is godsend for small countries like ireland. Imagine what the tories would do to ireland without backing of france, germany and the rest of the EU.

Ireland is basically defining the future relationship between britain and the continent.
Yep and people still would rather Scotland be at the mercy of Tory elites rather than part of the EU and treated with decency. I don't get it. Surely this crap pushes independence over the line, but we might have to grab it, I doubt they will let it happen that easily given this is how far they are willing to go.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
today is not the day to be defended the royal family.

I'm not defending them, rather pointing out that it's a bit silly to blame the Queen for this. I'm sure she's pissed off for exactly this reason but her getting involved would pose more constitutional questions than it solves.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You think England would invade an independent Ireland if it weren't for the EU?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
You think England would invade an independent Ireland if it weren't for the EU?
There are other ways of pressuring countries in your sphere of interest. Just like the EU is pressuring turkey, switzerland and ukraine (and soon the UK) into doing things it sees as beneficial the UK would do the same thing to ireland.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm not defending them, rather pointing out that it's a bit silly to blame the Queen for this. I'm sure she's pissed off for exactly this reason but her getting involved would pose more constitutional questions than it solves.

But she did get involved, and her instructions will kill thousands and ruin millions of lives. If she's too cowardly to force those constitutional questions whilst reaping all the benefits of them then that's her problem, not ours.

Last edited:

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
EDEp9J1X4AANu0t

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
What's the current rule about the circumstances that NI can return to Ireland?
English elites would rather nuke themselves than to allow a most likely successful border poll. When you hear tories or conservative pundits about ireland it sounds like they talk about a vassal state

The GFA allows NI to call a referendum on their own terms if it's violated. So England couldn't even have a say there.

Scotland is harder. No automatic mechanism that I know of.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Jesus fucking christ, just saw this posted from the leave campaign twitter account earlier.

Can't believe this shit is allowed.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

"The ratification of the Withdrawal Agreement, including the now-famous backstop, cannot simply be renegotiated," Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney told a forum hosted by France's MEDEF employers federation.

"Even if we wanted to do that, which we don't, we can't do it in six or ten weeks." He said a no-deal Brexit was becoming increasingly likely.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, we are only missing out on 4 days of parliament. One would hope that this will encourage those in opposition to pull together a United concise response to no deal Brexit. Really hope this massively backfires on BJ.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No, they fucked all of us. None of us are getting out of this ok other than the fucking tory party who are all gonna dissappear off to their villas in spain anyway.
My father is an Irish national.

I'm beyond done with the backwards reprobates that keep trying to fuck me and my future.

Beyond done.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Tories and Conservatives all over the globe are "lucky" that they can fuck over their base time and time again but the moment they see a poc on the street, they know they will have their vote once again.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I don't understand any of this but I want to know, will this affect the pound currency?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand any of this but I want to know, will this affect the pound currency?
The pound has been in a freefall since brexit. I actually import a ton of stuff from the uk - i built up an impressive collection of retro european computers and software over the last 10 years, and literally immediately after brexit their pound started falling. My mental math trick, before brexit, was about 1:2 for £:$. If something was £5, i knew itd be about $10. Ive watched it slowly become close to 1:1 since brexit. Cool for me since i import a lot, but it sucks for people in the uk.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn... despite everything that's happened, I was hoping that at least the deadline would be extended again. This looks pretty dire.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
The pound has been in a freefall since brexit. I actually import a ton of stuff from the uk - i built up an impressive collection of retro european computers and software over the last 10 years, and literally immediately after brexit their pound started falling. My mental math trick, before brexit, was about 1:2 for £:$. If something was £5, i knew itd be about $10. Ive watched it slowly become close to 1:1 since brexit. Cool for me since i import a lot, but it sucks for people in the uk.
Damn. Thanks for the info.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I know I said this before, but how other than countrywide strikes can we stop this?