Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
For those entirely blaming Trump for this, you are wrong. This entirely is on Paul Ryan. He could have told the President to fuck off and put a vote to the floor and passed with a veto proof number. He didn't, because he is huge a huge pussy. He had one last chance to do the right thing against this president before he's gone and he chose not to.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter who's responsible for this shutdown, it's ultimately always avoidable. I'm not saying anyone had to cave into demands of another parties requests, but neither side is willing to compromise or work together. Politics in the US is no longer about what's right, it's about making sure the opposing party doesn't get what they want.

It's absolutely ridiculous that it's come to this and both parties are to blame for it.

One party wants to spend billions on a big fuck off stupid wall. This isn't compromise time, this is one party telling the other one to grow the fuck up.

Look at it this way, say the Republican party wanted to do something incredibly stupid and money wasting...like I don't know, build a huge do nothing wall. Would you expect the democrats to compromise? No, of course not.

We are not talking about the difference between a 2 or 2.5% tax cut here. This is just insanity.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
They really just left at 5pm?

For those entirely blaming Trump for this, you are wrong. This entirely is on Paul Ryan. He could have told the President to fuck off and put a vote to the floor and passed with a veto proof number. He didn't, because he is huge a huge pussy. He had one last chance to do the right thing against this president before he's gone and he chose not to.
I'm not going to take blame off Trump because his lackey didn't do something.

Trump is probably desperate to flee to Mar-a-Lago.
Trump is probably going "what's the big deal? We just closed shop for the holidays".

I just realized that Trump literally cancelled Christmas.

Oct 28, 2017
20181222_0113292tf28.jpg

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It is both sides, this one particular vote it's obvious it's the Republicans, but the fact that we got here at all, again this year, is a fault of both parties. Like I said, this isn't about what's right for the country or the citizens, it's a pissing contest of pissing off the other party.

Trump wants to a build a stupid, ineffective wall for $5bn dollars. Not even the GOP will give him that for a stupid wall (or steel slats), like it was the year 1700 and it would even be effective. This is all on Trump.

In 2013 the Democrats had to make various concessions because the GOP wanted to dismantle the ACA. Eventually the GOP relented, but many were furloughed for a time.

In 95-96 the GOP threw various hissy fits at Clinton and shut down the government (which cost them dearly in the following election).

In 1990 the GOP revolted against their own president over taxes and shut down the government.

Reagan shut it down several times because he couldn't get what he wanted with the budget.

IT IS ALWAYS THE GOP - EITHER IN CONGRESS OR THE PRESIDENT

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Flake and Corker voted no on a motion to proceed. Even if the Republicans needed 50 votes to pass the House bill, they wouldn't have the votes. How can you blame this on both sides, when you can't get your shit together in your own party?

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
It is both sides, this one particular vote it's obvious it's the Republicans, but the fact that we got here at all, again this year, is a fault of both parties. Like I said, this isn't about what's right for the country or the citizens, it's a pissing contest of pissing off the other party.
The GOP for 2 years controlled all 3 parts needed to pass legislation. It's infighting between the ethical and unethical and spend vs don't spend.

It's also why taxes got cut for the already well off, DACA, ACA are fucked, environmental protections got fucked and there's children and parents separated and in cages are the Southern border. Some things they can agree on, some they can't and they throw fits instead of compromise.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Lol

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck out of here with this both sides bullshit. Even as moderate, I'll tell you this is a crock.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even a party vs party situation it's Trump and Paul Ryan effectively strong arming power away from Congress by using people's livelihood as a hostage. The only way you can blame Democrats is if you wanted to blame them.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
One party wants to spend billions on a big fuck off stupid wall. This isn't compromise time, this is one party telling the other one to grow the fuck up.

Look at it this way, say the Republican party wanted to do something incredibly stupid and money wasting...like I don't know, build a huge do nothing wall. Would you expect the democrats to compromise? No, of course not.

We are not talking about the difference between a 2 or 2.5% tax cut here. This is just insanity.
Look. If I want to punch you in the face and take your money and you dont want me to punch you in the face and take your money, arent we both in the wrong for not working together. I mean you are unwilling to compromise just as much as I am, so its both our faults for not reaching an agreement. In fact I would even say you care less about whats right and more about stopping me from getting what I want. You are just as bad as me for not letting me get my way.

So are you gonna let me punch you in the face and take your money or are you going to keep being an asshole and opposing me for opposition sake? The choice is yours.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Look. If I want to punch you in the face and take your money and you dont want me to punch you in the face and take your money, arent we both in the wrong for not working together. I mean you are unwilling to compromise just as much as I am, so its both our faults for not reaching an agreement. In fact I would even say you care less about whats right and more about stopping me from getting what I want. You are just as bad as me for not letting me get my way.

So are you gonna let me punch you in the face and take your money or are you going to keep being an asshole and opposing me for opposition sake? The choice is yours.
chef-kiss-gif.gif

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Worst president and government. McConnell is shit. Ryan is trash.

Fucking morons will still support this dumpster fire.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

This is quality

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
So is he just going to keep re-branding 'the wall' for some reason? It's a wall. It's 10 feet higher. It's a thick wall. It's a fence. It's a metaphorical wall. It's a real wall. It's several different walls. It's a fence again with barbed wire. The wall is people with guns. No it's the greatest physical wall. It's a steel slats barrier now. Buy now half off all walls sale. Like fucking stop. He's treating it like it's a marketed product and if he just says the right words everyone will be on board.

Waiting for; 'We want to build a shining wall of light that will scare away the coyotes wanting to cross the border into the United States!'

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter who's responsible for this shutdown, it's ultimately always avoidable. I'm not saying anyone had to cave into demands of another parties requests, but neither side is willing to compromise or work together. Politics in the US is no longer about what's right, it's about making sure the opposing party doesn't get what they want.

It's absolutely ridiculous that it's come to this and both parties are to blame for it.
Are you comparing Obamacare shut down, which many republicans now seem to approve of, to building a wall with no use?

Healthcare does serve a purpose and pays off, as it keeps a country's citizen alive, a wall... does neither of these. It is costly, does not work and a trump, sorry dump idea to beginn with.

You shouldnot compare this childish "butmommy I want my toy to show off to my nazi friends" behaviour with obama's introduction of a public/universal healthcare system.

gondlir

Oct 29, 2017
Winnipeg

Wow. Really?

LogN-

Oct 30, 2017
Well, it appears I dug myself into a hole and there's no way out. So I'll just say this, what I was trying to get at, is that partyline politics causing any kind of shutdown, regardless of reason, is ridiculous.

Whether it's healthcare, a temper tantrum for a magical fence, a budget can't be enforced, whatever the reason. All members of the house and senate should be held responsible whenever a shutdown occurs.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it appears I dug myself into a hole and there's no way out. So I'll just say this, what I was trying to get at, is that partyline politics causing any kind of shutdown, regardless of reason, is ridiculous.

Whether it's healthcare, a temper tantrum for a magical fence, a budget can't be enforced, whatever the reason. All members of the house and senate should be held responsible whenever a shutdown occurs.
If there's no way out of a hole, essentially saying "all members should be held responsible for the actions of one side" doesn't help. :/

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm not saying both sides, I'm just saying both sides.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I just dont get being absolutely shit on for a page plus for being uninformed and then deciding to adamently stick to your objectively wrong stance.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

The healthcare one was necessary.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Whether it's securing healthcare for millions of disadvantaged americans or a singular person wanting a racist ineffective overexpensive wall...we're all the same when you really think about it

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

39.jpg

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I never followed American politics until it became a shot show, what are the consequences of this, particularly for normal people? Is this common or a Trump phenomenon?

In my country, if this happened, the president would be kicked out of office and we'd have elections within three to six months, chances that'd happen in this situation?
When were unable to pass a supply bill in my country, the entire government is dissolved and we have an election within 2 months.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

but the senate passed legislation that would have kept the government open until feb without any funding for the border wall and the only person who stopped it was trump so i don't know what you're in here whining about with your both sides shtick

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017

This isn't partyline politics, the senate already compromised and the house would to if they could. This is Trump and Paul Ryan's, republican leadership, fault. You either haven't read the facts or understand them.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why Paul Ryan just won't pass the spending bill that would keep the government going?

IIRC, he is retiring soon, so it's not like he has to lick Trump's boots to keep his job.