• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Price would you grab the Win 2?

• 400$

Votes: 315 76.8%
  • 500$

Votes: 75 18.3%
  • 600$+

Votes: 37 9.0%

• Total voters

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
GPD 2 needs to be a lot better than the first one to win me over as the first one was way under powered.
The proposed CPU is 50% more powerful than the atom on the GPD 1.
Some vids that The Phawx show the difference in games like skyrim. (he even talks about up-volting the which would be effectively mean that the cpu is more than 50% faster :O )
Even then, stuff like "low spec gamer" are useful for playing games in sub-par ways.

Honestly, depending on how good zen-mobile is in power-consumption, heat, and gpu performance, i would love to see a gpd win 3 with one lol

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Keeping an eye on the GPD Win 2. I love the concept but performance in the first one wasn't where I thought it needed to be to be worth the money. I love the form factor they're going for though and hope this lives long enough to get plenty of revisions.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
Hi guys i have just registered, i'm a happy GPD Win user.
It's mind blowing how flexible the GPD Win becomes with a simple pendrive, i download games, work and do whatever i want on the "big" pc, then i put everything on the pendrive and i continue on the GPD Win(in front of the TV lol) and vice-versa.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thing that turned me off was it felt like an ergonomics nightmare at least having the GPD XD and the N3DSXL to compare on hand with the Vita from memory, it was horrible to use the triggers the XD funny enough felt better to use even tho I never really use them often. Plus it was hot to play for periods of time even with the fan on fullblast and playing smaller titles, gonna be interested in seeing how it goes its gonna be fighting for my purchase between a Switch next year.

Try the Switch beforehand, I think it is uncomfortable to hold.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Try the Switch beforehand, I think it is uncomfortable to hold.

Oh 100% I have held a switch and do think its uncomfortable, that and of course money being the reasons im waiting to see what third party grips/joycons will come out to help some of the problems I have with the system (Give me a dam Dpad).

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Hi all, and great thread JGCD.
I have been interested in picking up one of these myself and this footage of Cuphead running on it peaked my interest.

Looks great, and would love to be able to carry around and play a large collection of my older steam titles in my pocket.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really excited and February is not long to go if that's when they're going to run the Indiegogo.

I have been interested in picking up one of these myself and this footage of Cuphead running on it peaked my interest.

Looks great, and would love to be able to carry around and play a large collection of my older steam titles in my pocket.

This will probably be my Vita replacement. Love the Vita and still use it regularly, but the cost of games on the Vita haven't really dropped much this year, versus Steam games that get plenty of discounts and sales plus regional pricing.

For example Lost Dimension just released for RM26 (about US$6) vs importing a physical copy for about $30-40. Ys Origins at 85% off is US$3 for me vs $30 on Play-Asia. I think I'll just get the digital.

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
GPD seems fairly confident the Win 2 will sell well in Japan.
From Baidu:
: 4 to 50 000 bit exaggerated, right?
image_emoticon23.png
Guerrillas spray: for the Japanese is not an exaggeration

Wade has officially posted about their one joystick device.
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5401133886
now is just a concept of ideas, products have not yet begun to design, the video machine is xd motherboard transformation of the test machine, not a real product
So its a proof of concept using a XD motherboard.
If they did decide to make that device it'd probably be fairly cheap if they use the XD motherboard since there'd be no need to develop a new motherboard.

Also on Dingoonity a reseller posted more details about the revamped XD.
As far as I know:

The next XD console will be available on shops around February/March next year, specs: MTK chipset, biuetooth, same form factor that actual XD, 32 GB storage, price not revealed.

Regards
Not far away for that.

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The proposed CPU is 50% more powerful than the atom on the GPD 1.
Some vids that The Phawx show the difference in games like skyrim. (he even talks about up-volting the which would be effectively mean that the cpu is more than 50% faster :O )
Even then, stuff like "low spec gamer" are useful for playing games in sub-par ways.

Honestly, depending on how good zen-mobile is in power-consumption, heat, and gpu performance, i would love to see a gpd win 3 with one lol

Kinda wrong, actually.

The CPU is around 160% faster and the GPU around 100% faster at the same power consumption.

At 7W TDP-up, it's around 200%/120% faster.

OP
OP
JGCD

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017

This made me so happy, I tried it at launch and was amazed that i could bring it with me. Also if anyone else have experience running titles on their win, please share your experiences.

I played to completion with no real mods or heavy down-setting
-Dark Souls 2
-Owlboy
-Dragon Age 1
-FF 9
-Rivals of Aethers ( This was pretty cool)
-Cuphead

A bunch more but these were stand out titles for me and really sold me on the little gizmo

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
I made a writeup about replacing the bottom of my shell with copper to keep the battery cool and poked Wade and he showed up with a image and talks about the battery in the Win and Win2 and heat more than I thought he would if he did respond.
https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-w...-copper-to-keep-the-battery-(and-hands)-cool/
win1的电池位置存在设计缺陷(电池和主板是叠层放置的,会导致电池过热)

这个问题会在win2的设计中进行规避,win2的主板和电池是错位布局的,为了能做到这点,我们在win2的设计中 主板是由3块pcba组成的,一块主pcba 一块附pcba 一块 ssd小板
win1 battery location design defects (the battery and the motherboard is stacked, will lead to overheating of the battery)

This problem will be in the win2 design to circumvent, win2 motherboard and battery is dislocation layout, in order to be able to do this, we are in the design of the win2 motherboard is composed of three pcba, a piece of pcba with a pcba ssd small board
TBznJV8.jpg

So Wade confirmed heat was the cause of the battery issue with the Win and they will be rectifying that in the Win2 which was one of my major concerns.

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll keep an eye on the GPD Win 2. The first one seems to be too weak and have some flaws in the design. I hope the second one will be better thought through.
I love the idea of playing my all time favorites like NFSU, HL1 and HL2 on the go. Not to mention all the emulation possibilities.

MaDKaT

Oct 27, 2017
Had a GPD Win briefly. Did the usual hardware mods for better thermals and other software tweaks. System was pretty awesome but I just couldn't get past some quirks with the keyboard and especially the shoulder buttons so I sold it. Still, the system left a void and I am eagerly watching out for the Win2.

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the Win2 going to be way more expensive?
It will be more expensive but they've been mum so far on what it still be.
I'm guessing somewhere between $450-550 but no one knows for sure.
There were rumblings of 6600 yuan on their Chinese forum which is close to a thousand US but I refuse to believe that unless its like a fake msrp that so many Chinese companies use.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Can't way for the Win 2, the first model I was on the verge of buying it but started to read about the thermal throttling issues (which I fully expected, since I don't know any device with the X7 without them) so I'm looking forward for those issues to be ironed out with the new model.

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
Mmmm it is so nice to spend a hour watching videos and have the bottom be stone cold where before it'd be toasty.
My copper bottom is so nice.

vcoleiro on Dingoonity did a mini interview with Wade and some stuff of interest was in there and gave me permission to share here.
There are some interesting bits in there.
https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-windows-devices/gpd-interview/
1) A lot of people still do not know much about GPD / Softwin the company, can you tell us some details about the company like:

a) When was GPD started?

Wade: 2012

b) How many employees do you have?

Wade: 30

c) Who are the owners of GPD?

Wade: There are 4 founders - wade wang, ricky xie, sky yang, samty chen

d) Can you provide a photo of the GPD office and team. No one has ever seen the office or the faces behind GPD

Wade: This is not on hand now, it will be necessary to go back to the opportunity to make up for it. In fact, we like low-key products, not very good or care about external image publicity

2) Can you tell us about the long term goals of GPD.

Wade: Small and beautiful, focus on a point (mobile handheld game device), to do this niche consumer favorite innovation product

3) I understand that GPD used to make consoles and products for other companies , is that something you still do? If so, are there any third party brands GPD make products for that you can mention?

Wade: OEM / ODM is our main business model before
2015 we have stopped the OEM / ODM model, the transition to do their own brand

over the past 10 years, most of the Chinese manufacturers are OEM / ODM model for other national brands do product design Production, but the drawbacks of this model is the production of manufacturers profit too little, the vicious commercial competition led to
1, product homogeneity
2, design and production only the pursuit of low-cost low prices, resulting in extremely poor product quality
3, manufacturers away from the consumer , Because their customers are only OEM brands and sales channels rather than consumers, the channel is the first factor to consider the product profit margins / how much money rather than the product itself

4) What GPD branded products are being produced at the moment (XD, WIN, G5A, Q9 etc etc) ?

Wade: Currently there are only three products: xd win pocket

5) In the past GPD has done crowdfunding campaigns on Indiegogo, Makuake and on JD.com. I know Kickstarter is not open to China, but are there any plans to partner with a western company to do a Kickstarter campaign in the future?

Wade: The future will not be in kickstarter
because our sales chain is very short, GPD - terminal retailer - user
our price system only authorized distribution price - terminal retail price
if we operate our own activities, all the price is very close to the distribution Price, which means that third-party companies do not have enough profit space to operate all. In addition, the global logistics and transportation work is a very tedious work, the various countries of the customs policy and transportation costs are very different, if the third party to operate these, there may be a lot of risk.

6) Can you tell us how many GPD WINs have been sold? Also, how many XDs have been sold and how many GPD Pockets have been sold?

Wade: That is confidential

7) One of the issues a number of users have faced, is the lack of ability to obtain a replacement battery for the GPD WIN. I understand you may be oganising supply with the Pandora shop in Germany to cater for regional customers there. But do you have plans to get supplies of batteries out to other regional resellers in the US, Australia etc?

Wade: For the moment, the German Pandora's shop is being considered because other regional distributors have not raised the demand

8.) Does GPD have any plans to make a gaming smartphone?

Wade: No, we're not good at it.

9) What are GPDs current plans for a GPD XD 2?. Will we see the XD 2 launched in 2018?. Any planned specs you can share with us?

Wade: We will now give priority to the xd upgrade to Andrews 7.0, named xd +
Xd2 priority is not the highest, we have other projects have a higher priority

10) Kendy Zhu had been the PR face for us here on Dingoonity for some time. I understand she has now left GPD and someone else has taken that role. Who is the new person and how can they be contacted?

Wade: All the suffix is gpd.hk mailbox can be contacted, if the previous staff left, there will be other people take over the use of this account, so continue to contact the mailbox before

11) During the Indiegogo campaign for the GPD WIN, backers were told that a Linux distribution would be developed and made available via download for the GPD WIN. Is Linux still coming for the GPD WIN?

Wade: Linux is not the domain we are good at, the solution to this problem is that we upgrade our products to the core M series as soon as possible, the Linux driver of this chipset is very perfect

12) I noticed a company in Japan had started making accessories for the GPD WIN. I think I saw anti glare screen protectors and protective cases.

a) Is GPD actively working with other companies to produce accessories for your devices?.

Wade: Sorry, we didn't take the initiative to do this.

b) Does GPD have plans to produce their own accessories?

Wade: There are some, such as pocket protection package

13) What consoles and products are GPD planning to build in the future?

Wade: Confidential

14) Can you tell us more about this device being developed by GPD? -> https://i.imgur.com/HdLj4DY.jpg

Wade: This is a new attempt, but also a concept. For mobile phone travel (especially the Moba type game with a very much-pointed skill release key), it will use a single joystick touch-screen hybrid operation mode, which is a new mode, and XD's handle button image mode is different (not support the joystick touch-screen hybrid operation mode)

15) One of the biggest issues that people mention regularly that I believe is holding GPD back as a company , is the issue of repair support for customers outside of China. The feeling is that there needs to be regional places around the world where people can send their faulty consoles to for repair. Is GPD working with their regional resellers for them to receive consoles needing repairs. With the resellers then sending the consoles to GPD in china for repair, and back out to the customers when they return back from GPD?

Wade: Most of our distributors do not have professional maintenance capability, the current solution is to contact our official online mailbox, we will have someone to follow up. The usual approach is: 1, the hardware problem to send the product back to repair 2 software problems through the brush firmware can solve 3) parts of the problem can be mailed to replace the part

16) Are you concerend about competition from the upcoming Smach Z console which is now scheduled to launch in 2018?

Wade: I've been watching Smach Z. If their first product can reach a high standard, there is no doubt that the future will become GPD's direct competitor.

17) Ok, so a number of people are interested to know more about the GPD WIN 2. Here are some questions that the community has about the WIN 2:

a) What mAh size will the battery be?

Wade: For the time being, I can only say it's big.

b) Will you be able to swap the battery out easily with another battery like you can with the Pyra?

Wade: Sorry, I do not understand what can be easily replaced by the battery, in fact, the replacement of the battery is not complicated.
I do not know whether the user needs to spare battery can be charged, if there is a need to develop a separate charge of this
separately, we all developed Products are supported 5v mobile power charging, another point of view on the market today, all mobile phone mobile power can be called a backup battery

c) What size and resolution will the screen be?

Wade: For now, that's confidential

d) Can you confirm the WIN 2 will have a M.2 2242 slot?

Wade: Yes

e) Will it come in a number of configurations and price points?

f) What price will the WIN 2 be?

g) Is the M3 7Y30 SOC confirmed for the WIN 2?

Wade: Yes

h) Will there be a WIN2 model with 4G / LTE Mobile Data?

Wade: No, I personally think there is no need, now the smartphone has WiFi hotspot function, if you need 4G Internet, just turn the mobile phone WiFi hotspot on

i) One of the things peoples want in the WIN 2, is clickable joysticks. I noticed the Nintendo Switch has low profile clickable sticks which were developed by a company called Hosiden. Has GPD made contact with Hosiden to try and get a supply of these low profile clickable joysticks?

Wade: L3/R3 placed as shoulder buttons is also a viable solution, I personally prefer ALPs joysticks

j) I see the Dinput mode has been removed from the WIN 2. Why was that removed?

Wade: Mouse ---- handle This statement is more concise and intuitive, sacrifice 10% of the compatibility in exchange for 90% of people more simple and easy to understand that the definition of the function of the switch, which is a more I agree with the design and development orientation. Senior professional players like the more comprehensive the better, and most people prefer simple and intuitive things.

k) What are the dimensions of the GPD WIN 2?

Wade: Temporarily confidential, there is little difference to the current WIN (WIN 2 is slightly larger)

OP
OP
JGCD

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017
Mmmm it is so nice to spend a hour watching videos and have the bottom be stone cold where before it'd be toasty.
My copper bottom is so nice.

vcoleiro on Dingoonity did a mini interview with Wade and some stuff of interest was in there and gave me permission to share here.
There are some interesting bits in there.
https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-windows-devices/gpd-interview/
shit I should really get on that
Does it really help keep the temp cool?

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
shit I should really get on that
Does it really help keep the temp cool?
The keyboard will be just as hot as always but It does keep the battery and by extension the bottom much cooler so to me it was worth it.
Although I don't know if you'd have quite the same result without the teflon sheet, guess you can get a large enough square from Ebay for a decent price though.
Assuming you saw my writeup on dingoonity I posted here one of the hardest parts is cutting the rectangle out of the bottom without removing too much from the front so that you can't cement the copper sheet to it.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
That was a great interview.

I was hoping they would mention what they would do with Win 2 heat management issues but I guess its not out yet anyway.

I'm glad they said they want to move to the Core M as soon as possible, hopefully that means its out sooner rather than later.

I think the concept of the portable PC will really become a game changer in the near future. As someone who loves handheld games like 3DS, PSP, Vita, there is a huge backlog of titles on Steam that is perfect for this sort of thing. There is value in wanting to play on a 6" screen on a couch/bed over a regular PC screen at a desk and chair.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Well they have to keep something for the actual reveal.

Also I don't mind if they have different tiers for HD space. I'd be happy with a 64gb/128gb machine to keep costs down and then I'll buy my own USB thumb stick or micro SD card as I need.

I do think the system would do better in the long run with 8gb Ram vs 4gb Ram.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the concept of the portable PC will really become a game changer in the near future. As someone who loves handheld games like 3DS, PSP, Vita, there is a huge backlog of titles on Steam that is perfect for this sort of thing. There is value in wanting to play on a 6" screen on a couch/bed over a regular PC screen at a desk and chair.

I agree. I always loved portable consoles. My next purchase will definietly be something like GPD Win. I prefer to buy games on one platform, so no more double dipping. I already have over 200 games on Steam alone and huge backlog that I would love to play on handheld. I dont see myself buying another dedicated portable console like 3DS anymore. If it cant run Steam, I wont buy it.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I agree. I always loved portable consoles. My next purchase will definietly be something like GPD Win. I prefer to buy games on one platform, so no more double dipping. I already have over 200 games on Steam alone and huge backlog that I would love to play on handheld. I dont see myself buying another dedicated portable console like 3DS anymore. If it cant run Steam, I wont buy it.

Yep exactly my thoughts.

The whole physical vs digital software decision has been troubling me for some time. No doubt I'll probably chop and change again and buy physical as I go along, but I think I will most likely go with Steam purchases going forward.

At the start of this year, I figured I would start collecting Vita titles in case they become difficult to attain later on especially since it was becoming clear that Sony probably wouldn't make another handheld for a while. Then I figured I'd buy a second Vita as a backup in case the first one breaks down. In the end though, if they both break down I'm left with a bunch of games that I don't have much use for.

I've also had other pieces of gaming hardware break down, so its a worry for me. Thus I think with Steam I can always upgrade my hardware whenever I want and the games will be there for me. I do understand though, I'm left at the mercy of the Steam overlords for whatever happens in the future but I'll take that risk.

On the cost side of things, Steam sales are always around the corner, whereas Nintendo likes to keep their prices up and like you said, buying something like GPD Win gives a huge head start up on a library of games to play. I don't really want to pay $60 for titles on Switch only to sell them for beans at the end of its life.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I really want a handheld PC, but the GPD Win 1 wasn't it. The GPD Win 2 looks much better and the specs are finally getting there, so it's much more likely that I'll buy it when it releases.

I do understand though, I'm left at the mercy of the Steam overlords for whatever happens in the future but I'll take that risk.

I'm honestly not afraid of that on PC. Even if Steam/Valve would vanish overnight, the community would find a way.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I really want a handheld PC, but the GPD Win 1 wasn't it. The GPD Win 2 looks much better and the specs are finally getting there, so it's much more likely that I'll buy it when it releases.

I'm honestly not afraid of that on PC. Even if Steam/Valve would vanish overnight, the community would find a way.

No I'm not that worried either. But i recall when there were people talking about how everything under Windows would be under the Windows store so that MS would get a cut of the profits (like how Apple does it) and how that was related to SteamOS being on Linux. So things can change.

Phawx

Oct 25, 2017
Just got confirmation from Wade that Win 2 will use 1866 LPDDR3 in dual channel configuration

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
If the Win 2 can run PS2 games at full speed, I'll buy it. Was pretty disappointed with the performance of the Win, but it's still a cool little machine.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the gaming capability of the Pocket? I actually prefer the more premium design and the possibility to actually use the keyboard. Furthermore I would have no problem carrying a controller with me.

OP
OP
JGCD

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017
How is the gaming capability of the Pocket? I actually prefer the more premium design and the possibility to actually use the keyboard. Furthermore I would have no problem carrying a controller with me.
Its slighty better? as far as my understanding of mobile tech goes. If you can play it on the win, then you can play on the pocket as they are pretty much the same spec wise (Pocket has more ram)

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Made a poll to see what price point Era would grab a Win 2
500$ would be perfect. Willing to go as high as 550$ for it though.
Its slighty better? as far as my understanding of mobile tech goes. If you can play it on the win, then you can play on the pocket as they are pretty much the same spec wise (Pocket has more ram)
Afaik it's slightly underclocked in comparison to the Win to preserve battery (since it's more geared to productivity instead of games), but you should be able to fix that in the Bios

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
500 USD would translate to $900 USD after taxes in my country, but I'd be willing to pay for it if it's indeed comparable to the Switch in gaming performance.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Is there no loopholes around the taxes? Like having a friend in the US receiving the GPD and then sending it to you?

The only way is someone bringing it with them by airplane. They are allowed to bring up to $500 in merchandise. Buying from Amazon taxes are 100% a sure thing because I'd have to pay them before they send it. Buying from other stores or even used from other people it might come without taxes or not, because they don't tax everything that gets here, just random samples. Sometimes is cheaper buying from other South America countries like Paraguay. I have to wait and see what happens.

Juha77

Oct 27, 2017
Nice OT. I have had GPD XD for a while now and I'm liking it quite a bit. Got it for emulation purposes, but mainly been playing android games. Build quality isn't par with 3DS IMHO, but it's not bad either.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Very interested in Win 2. Was going to buy the Win but I already have a slightly weaker Windows tablet that does most things the Win does. Anything on how pricey that will be?

Sedef122

Nov 7, 2017
I adore my gpd win, that and my Switch are all I have been gaming on for the majority of the year apart from when Persona 5 was released. Cannot wait to pick up the Win 2.

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
With the various battery issues people have had and being one of the only people who has gotten a battery from China I've been talking and finally have made a trial order of 10 batteries for batteries to sell to people in the US with battery issues and if demand is there I'll make a bulk order.
I''tt be a month or two before they arrive but if anyone in the US has a battery issue and needs a replacement PM me when I get them.
I expect I'll sell them between $30-40 but I haven't decided yet.

Some people on Dingoonity have been working on a new printable bottom and it looks promising.
https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-windows-devices/gpd-win-trigger-improvements/30/
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/a5tEbquWeDC
a5tEbquWeDC-1510311869703147300-725x453

Also in China 11.11 is one of their biggest online shopping days kinda equivalent to black friday in the US and that will be a good day to pick up a Win, Pocket or XD.
https://gpdshop.aliexpress.com/store/1281164?spm=2114.search0104.3.5.QgUm4D
$140 for XD, $340 for Win & $440 for Pocket and you can likely find them from third party sellers even cheaper that day as well.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Made a poll to see what price point Era would grab a Win 2

$400 would be the sweet spot, but I'll begrudingly pay $500 for it so I voted for both options. I don't think I can stretch to $600 though. At $600, I'd probably consider getting a GPD Win 1 for half the price.

Also in China 11.11 is one of their biggest online shopping days kinda equivalent to black friday in the US and that will be a good day to pick up a Win, Pocket or XD.
https://gpdshop.aliexpress.com/store/1281164?spm=2114.search0104.3.5.QgUm4D
$140 for XD, $340 for Win & $440 for Pocket and you can likely find them from third party sellers even cheaper that day as well.

$140 is a really sweet deal for the XD and I'd jump on it if I wasn't saving for the Win 2.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to go in on an XD. I've wanted one for a long time but I've been waiting for a hardware refresh. But if it runs PS1 and down without any issue, I guess the specs are good enough for me anyway.

edit: Yep, just ordered with the 11.11 deal. I'm excited, This thing should be great for me.

Last edited: