• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
If it's indeed a filter for sprites, I don't get why it's so difficult for the pub to update the game and give us the option to play with unfiltered sprites.

I would rather play it on an emulator than on the Switch at this point. You could probably even emulate the game and make it look better than this rerelease on a hacked Switch at some point.
Nah. The widescreen and frame rate are worth it here. You aren't getting those on an emulator.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Grandia 1 is a joy to play. I just noticed some bugs though especially with sfx or if you use a ressurection potion. But I am happy the loading times and the texture warping is now a non issue. And the font is greatly readable. The whole opposite of the Three Houses font.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
So yeah I can confirm that the slowdown in grandia 2 is only in handheld mode. They havent optimized it for handheld mode it seems like. Really hope they keep patching this. Where can I send feedback?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So yeah I can confirm that the slowdown in grandia 2 is only in handheld mode. They havent optimized it for handheld mode it seems like. Really hope they keep patching this. Where can I send feedback?

I know it's not the Switch hardware...... but...... all these Switch developers recently, no matter if for ports or even first party titles, make it really... really hard sometimes to not think that the Switch isn't an absolute joke. I mean, how is it even possible that the Switch has framerate problems with this game?

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I know it's not the Switch hardware...... but...... all these Switch developers recently, no matter if for ports or even first party titles, make it really... really hard sometimes to not think that the Switch isn't an absolute joke. I mean, how is it even possible that the Switch has framerate problems with this game?
Bad optimization perhaps?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Bad optimization perhaps?

Probably. I really hope they at least try to optimize it with patches and that they don't go the fast and cheap way of just adding dynamic res and calling it a day.
There's nothing more I personally hate this gen than the overusage of dynamic res because it's easier than putting time and work into optimizing the game for the hardware.
*CoughMarvelUltimateAllianceCough*
*CoughFireEmblemCough*

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Probably. I really hope they at least try to optimize it with patches and they don't go the fast and cheap way of just adding dynamic res and calling it a day.
There's nothing more I personally hate this gen than the overusage of dynamic res because it's easier than putting time and work into optimizing the game for the hardware.
*CoughMarvelUltimateAllianceCough*
*CoughFireEmblemCough*
I hope they fix some issues too, with G1 and G2. I am curious how it will perform on Steam.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
So far my slowdown experiences has only been in battle with the camera turned towards a specific direction so I really think it's an optimization thing where it's fine with the CPU clock in docked mode but it tanks in handheld mode CPU clocks.

MJKbillabo

Jun 13, 2019
Just started Grandia 2. Really impressed by the updated visuals. Shadows also looks so much better than in previous versions.

For people playing handheld, about how long does a full charge last? I don't have the newer switch with the longer life. Hoping I can get 3hrs minimum with these games...

Although I like Grandia 1 better, figured I would start 2 first in hope GungHo may patch some of the audio issues in G1

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Man your all deep in the game and im 20 minutes in and cant

find the sword of truth or whatever the kid called it lol

MJKbillabo

Jun 13, 2019
Also, all the talk about comparing G1 vs. G2. I look at it this way:

In G2 you basically know right off the bat what the plot is in the game and can figure who the final boss will be.

For G1, you just get sucked into the journey and you dont know where it's going to take you. G1 also does a wonderful job of introducing major plot points that are nothing more than traveling to new places. The plot comes along slowly throughout the whole first disc and even into the second. Its more of a mystery.

Cant wait to fire up some G1. So far I'm impressed with the collection

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I bought it as well and am happy I did even though some things are rough. The warping and morphing of sprites while the camera is zooming should have been fixed, but the graphics look good in widescreen in portable mode. I hope it sells well and gets some patches down the road. It is a great pick-up-and-play game on the Switch.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never stop complaining about the filter, ever. It's a cardinal sin for a remaster. I accept higher rendering resolution for 3D, but you just can't do the same for sprites. I hate the sound of missing transitions too, regardless of it making things faster. If you're remastering a game for a modern release, care needs to be taken to retain as much as possible and effects like that are just one example. It can't be called "definitive" with these shortcomings.
I think Grandia 1 would have still looked good if they kept the sprites unfiltered and increased rendering resolution for the 3d environments, but I guess removing any form of pixelated element is always their goal with these 2d remasters (unfortunately).

I think some sort of filtering also occurs with character portraits, icons and the character turn bar for Grandia 2 during battles? I can't remember if they look like that on the Dreamcast, but they look blurry/mushy on the Switch.

So far my slowdown experiences has only been in battle with the camera turned towards a specific direction so I really think it's an optimization thing where it's fine with the CPU clock in docked mode but it tanks in handheld mode CPU clocks.
Towns seem to have slowdown too not present in docked. Maybe it's that new lighting engine that's taxing the Switch? Lol I don't know, I honestly wasn't expecting any sort of slowdown with this game. Also, the new shadows look rough in docked. Not sure if they're as obvious when in handheld.

Last edited:

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think Grandia 1 would have still looked good if they kept the sprites unfiltered and increased rendering resolution for the 3d environments, but I guess removing any form of pixelated element is always their goal with these 2d remasters (unfortunately).

I think some sort of filtering also occurs with character portraits, icons and the character turn bar for Grandia 2 during battles? I can't remember if they look like that on the Dreamcast, but they look blurry/mushy on the Switch.

I 100% agree, that's exactly what I want. Unfiltered portraits as well. I don't begrudge people who do like the filters (well... much), I'm just upset that the option isn't there.

The bugs with unfiltered sprites are interesting, but it's difficult to know for sure what it means. Was there an error with applying a filter directly to those specific sprites in the sprite sheet if that's the method they chose, or is it a flag where the filter isn't being applied in realtime to that specific sprite?

I don't think anyone here knows enough about how the game has been constructed to know whether giving the option is a matter of duplicating every sprite in the game and coding in a toggle to switch between pre-filtered and unfiltered sprites (ignoring various other issues there may be with that), or if they could dig a little deeper in any realtime sprite filtering code to disable it based on a boolean somewhere, or some third/fourth/xth possibility I'm not thinking of. Or reasons why either of those aren't possible. But I'm reasonably confident it would've been possible if it was planned from the start barring some extreme engine fuckery. 90's Japanese custom engines aren't fun.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
It's not so much that I 'like' the filters, they just don't bother me or detract from the enjoyment of the game for me. What I find more annoying is the small pause/hitch in the music when it loops again. But I've gotten more used to it.

As for an update where I am at, right now I am
in New Parm, about to crash Feena's wedding. I am a bit annoyed that I missed the stowaway on the boat, and therefore missed the Golden Potion, but I think you can get more of those later on.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Gungho America seems pretty receptive to fan feedback. Grandia II PC got tons of patches to improve things people asked for, I wouldn't be surprised if the HD Collection did too.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's not so much that I 'like' the filters, they just don't bother me or detract from the enjoyment of the game for me. What I find more annoying is the small pause/hitch in the music when it loops again. But I've gotten more used to it.

That's cool too, I was being facetious tbh. I realise I'm part of a vocal minority about this and ultimately I'm glad more people are discovering the series and enjoying it for it is. It's just very upsetting that the PR claimed one thing and delivered another for a game I look at quite fondly, for an important videogame remastering aspect that I hope was at least investigated. It is a port by a team who don't speak the language of the team that did the port of a game that was custom built for a complex machine that isn't 100% understood today. But they've come this far and were able to add dual audio to the game, so I hope it can be patched in somehow.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
CPU clocks are always the same docked or undocked. What gets downclocked are GPU and (optionally) RAM speed.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm going to try to grab this in between some other games I'm wanting to play (assuming I finish Fire Emblem on time) and assuming I only have the time to
play 1 of the 2 games which would you recommend? Are they story connected at all?

MJKbillabo

Jun 13, 2019
Posted this on the bottom of another page.

I'm going to try to grab this in between some other games I'm wanting to play (assuming I finish Fire Emblem on time) and assuming I only have the time to play1 of the 2 games which would you recommend? Are they story connected at all?

Stories are not connected. I say go with the first, because it's a superb experience and may entice you to also play the second :)

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
In the German eShop it is 1st in the charts for digital only and high up in normal charts as well. Very cool that the Switch is becoming a retro gaming machine and that people are actually buying these remasters. Who would have thought Grandia would be this popular again someday, I thought it was a game lost in time...

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I like the updated look I also like the original pixellated look as well (saturn grabs)
ECOp92hVAAIFMii

YbDs4d6.png

ECOp_jyU8AEE70S

zHxKxog.png

Nice comparison, however, its not completely fair. You are using a scanlines shader or overlay on top of the Saturn grabs.

I would definitely like a Grandia HD version with unfiltered sprites AND an option to add scanlines on top, but if they were to remove the current filtering, WITHOUT the added scanlines, it would look much worse than your comparison.

MJKbillabo

Jun 13, 2019
I'm going to try to grab this in between some other games I'm wanting to play (assuming I finish Fire Emblem on time) and assuming I only have the time to
play 1 of the 2 games which would you recommend? Are they story connected at all?
Stories are not connected. I say go with the first, because it's a superb experience and may entice you to also play the second :)

Actually, a better way for me to answer this:

If your only going to experience one of the games, definitely choose the first.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
As a first time player, the sprites in a polygonal 3D world is quite jarring. Mostly an observation than an objective critique. I'm confident I'll adapt.

Are there other examples of this? The only thing I can think of is Xenogears on PSOne and, to a different extent, Mario Kart 64.
In the same genre, Dragon Quest VII, Breath of Fire III & IV, off the top of my head. There are definitely more.
Interesting, thanks. I guess I fell of the genre after releases such as Suikoden, Wild Arms, and of course, FF7 and Chrono Cross. The latter two were somewhat inverse: polygonal characters in a a rendered world.

The 'Trails' series was this up until Cold Steel. 3D modeled environments, 2D character sprites. Though in this case the character sprites were pre-rendered beforehand to give them that slight CG look. And being released on PC first meant the backgrounds were gorgeously detailed:

tumblr_o7dpsuNg0T1upfoneo5_1280.png

20180223152110_1.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
The 'Trails' series was this up until Cold Steel. 3D modeled environments, 2D character sprites. Though in this case the character sprites were pre-rendered beforehand to give them that slight CG look. And being released on PC first meant the backgrounds were gorgeously detailed:

20180223152110_1.jpg

Playing Trails now. Absolutley in love with sprite characters in 3D environments. Takes me back to Xenogears and Star Ocean 2.

EDIT:

Actually sorry to derail for a moment, but weren't we getting Switch/PS4 Star Ocean 1&2 remaster ports??? Where are these yo?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Nice comparison, however, its not completely fair. You are using a scanlines shader or overlay on top of the Saturn grabs.

I would definitely like a Grandia HD version with unfiltered sprites AND an option to add scanlines on top, but if they were to remove the current filtering, WITHOUT the added scanlines, it would look much worse than your comparison.

Here are actual pictures (though they're off screen photos of my Vizio P50-C1) of actual hardware Saturn version with the english patch applied. Burned to CD and played on a modified Saturn. The colors are a bit off because of my camera though.

64RCWUx.jpg

E3qkaMT.jpg

M7qrdut.jpg

They do look a bit bright because of my phone camera unfortunately!

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

old pics I took using iPhone
1HKBRTG.jpg

4GsNonc.jpg

it's how I hook my Retro stuff up nowadays. Saturn/pc engine hooked to an OSSC and into a capture card. Grandia is kinda troublesome because it switches from 480i and 240p ? My scanline converter loses signal a lot.

A few more capture vids

Wait so the top/1st pics of the HD Collection with the filter and the latter OG Saturn?

Yes

Last edited:

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to pick this up, but watching some videos I just don't understand the shaky cam affect on the battles in the first game. Like I feel I'd throw up playing this game with the camera juttering back and forth every time combat starts....

MJKbillabo

Jun 13, 2019
I really want to pick this up, but watching some videos I just don't understand the shaky cam affect on the battles in the first game. Like I feel I'd throw up playing this game with the camera juttering back and forth every time combat starts....

I feel like after a few battles you will hardly notice it. You should definitely pick it up

Oct 25, 2017

20180223152110_1.jpg

I hate these sprites with just an absolute passion. I tried playing trails in the sky, and I just found it completely ugly. I couldn't continue on. I hated exploring and being in that world.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Unfortunately I'm not picking this up until either

a) a steep discount
or b) they patch in an option for unfiltered graphics.

Which sucks, because I was looking forward to this release before they showed footage. I'm quite hopeful that they'll listen to feedback and do the latter though. Here's hoping.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Here are actual pictures (though they're off screen photos of my Vizio P50-C1) of actual hardware Saturn version with the english patch applied. Burned to CD and played on a modified Saturn. The colors are a bit off because of my camera though.

64RCWUx.jpg

E3qkaMT.jpg

M7qrdut.jpg

They do look a bit bright because of my phone camera unfortunately!

Honestly, the sprites look much more naturally placed in the environments and the big difference nobody seems to mention is the text kerning. Seriously, what the fuck is up with the font in the remaster.

old pics I took using iPhone
1HKBRTG.jpg

4GsNonc.jpg

it's how I hook my Retro stuff up nowadays. Saturn/pc engine hooked to an OSSC and into a capture card. Grandia is kinda troublesome because it switches from 480i and 240p ? My scanline converter loses signal a lot.

A few more capture vids

Yes

Are you saying on an OSSC it constantly goes black as when resolution changes happen? How often is that?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the sprites look much more naturally placed in the environments and the big difference nobody seems to mention is the text kerning. Seriously, what the fuck is up with the font in the remaster.

Are you saying on an OSSC it constantly goes black as when resolution changes happen? How often is that?

when the game switches from in-game to the anime FMV's. You lose signal for a few seconds.. >.>

I have an even older vid where it was just the saturn using S-Video cable into the capture card so no scanlines. But then around 1998 when this game came out for the Saturn TV's at that period were mostly CRTs and had scanlines...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

20180223152110_1.jpg
Ys was doing this back then too. In fact the engine originated with Ys VI.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

Saturn Grandia running on TV screens of that period.

zl9SGvz.png

E2X5Leh.png

eJQt6DH.png

EDIT

Thanks to Laevateinn

Last edited:

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
Really happy with the way this remaster turned out! Smoother framerate, widescreen, higher res, the Sprite work and texture work comes out well in my opinion and it's just absolutely the definitive version to play for me. I know a fair few people on this forum think they've done a terrible job and shouldn't be rewarded for their "awful behaviour", but honestly I can see a lot of work must have gone into making this a playable thing on the switch running the way it does. Not to mention the sheer size of the game and how much QA must have been needed to check across the entire campaign.

MJKbillabo

Jun 13, 2019
Really happy with the way this remaster turned out! Smoother framerate, widescreen, higher res, the Sprite work and texture work comes out well in my opinion and it's just absolutely the definitive version to play for me. I know a fair few people on this forum think they've done a terrible job and shouldn't be rewarded for their "awful behaviour", but honestly I can see a lot of work must have gone into making this a playable thing on the switch running the way it does. Not to mention the sheer size of the game and how much QA must have been needed to check across the entire campaign.
Exactly. I'm beyond thrilled to have the ability to play these games on the go. Sure, things could have been better. Would love a hard mode for G1, digital museum and a few of the Saturn missing effects. But just that fact that this is possible is amazing.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
when the game switches from in-game to the anime FMV's. You lose signal for a few seconds.. >.>

I have an even older vid where it was just the saturn using S-Video cable into the capture card so no scanlines. But then around 1998 when this game came out for the Saturn TV's at that period were mostly CRTs and had scanlines...

That doesn't sound too terrible