jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Even within FFVIIR I honestly preferred the real time character models over the character models in the prerendered cutscenes. It's hard to explain why, but the characters looked kind of flat and sterile in the prerendered scenes. Yeah, the polygon count was obviously much higher, stuff like hair and cloth moved much more realistically, but I still thought they looked kinda off compared to the real time models. Those have more life and presence.
I also preferred the real-time models, but I imagine it was mostly a matter of being used to them for 40 hours, while the briefly used CGI models just don't quite look 100% the same stylistically.

Dr Guildo

Oct 27, 2017
France
I do wish people would stop dropping in cut-scenes as though they've slapped down the winning hand in a game of poker.

Even 'real-time in-engine' doesn't mean the same as gameplay. The devs know exactly what's happening in a cut scene and can carefully block it out beforehand so that it can run with extra effects without dragging the frame-rate down before cutting back to gameplay. Look at this comparison of Uncharted 4. Despite the technical brilliance of Naughty Dog's title it's clear to see that the cutscenes are using far more effects and shaders etc than in gameplay.

hzuj2W.png

Mrait1.png

Next-gen games and models will look phenomenal but using cut-scenes from current and next-gen titles to 'prove' how good they're going to look is just being disingenuous as they're rarely reflective of the gameplay experience.

If they can make the in-game models as good as current in-game cutscenes I'll be happy, especially if they invest that extra effort into the gaming environment. Let's face it, as good as the models for the likes of Drake and Aloy are, outside of photo modes how often do we see consistently or pay attention to more than just the back of their head?

Yep, but you are pointing the worst case of lighting, because most of the time, we are dealing with this, ingame :
(Photomode during ingame situation on a base PS4, I never shot cinematic models)
27156671996_66f522f707_o.png

28193838213_4682c92f04_h.jpg

28746131726_abc4ec2ece_h.jpg

28725875786_a51c3d7c15_h.jpg

28534558741_9a817b4f44_h.jpg

28534401091_60e1591f7a_h.jpg

28517034465_4233c8253b_h.jpg

27901298373_a548a1f6ab_h.jpg

27850640713_e2420e2598_h.jpg

28227923560_a8ef32e281_h.jpg

28725866426_9decb67861_h.jpg

27901326753_6e9b0c3f19_h.jpg

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
caPZFID.gif

UmGeddv.gif

Funny they used photogrammetry for Frozen Wild DLC and keep the hyper-realism style with post-process, effect but they did not use it for the main game.

Wow, wow! They look stunning. They have SunhiLegend written all over them.

And, wow, I knew that the DLC had better fidelity but didn't know that it was due to PBR. Heck I thought even the base game used PBR. All that said, the strongest expression of PBR usage using Decima is present in the Death Stranding.

Time for me to slice up some new Frozen Wilds DLC for contributions later.

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
In my opinion, next gen games shouldn't be as much about graphics as it should be about being more fluid, interactable and smart/intelligent - since we have some real dumb AI in most of the games and big open-worlds and cities that are rather hollow in terms of interactivity. Games are looking fantastic nowadays and personally I don't know if I want them to get more realistic, since many play them to escape the reality/realism. I want them to look real enough to be convincing which I think a lot of them are (and to fix minor things like textures popping in, low-res textures like in FFVII Remake, low LoD, janky animations etc.), but also stylized enough so they break out of the realism itself. I don't know if I'm making sense, but the best example is DOOM Eternal - game looks fantastic, not perfect mind you and could use some tweaks in few places, and it also looks fairly realistic, but at the same time everything else is stylized and over-the-top (demons, locations, glory kills) so it does feel like a game. FromSoftware's Dark Souls is a good example too, graphics are not top-notch since it's an "old" game, but the look of the medieval armours and some places is rather "realistic" and that mixed with enemy designs and some fantasy-like locations makes it a perfect mix. Same with Death Stranding, I liked the art direction in that one and I want more of that. So yeah, I'm not really expecting top-tier movie-like CGI in my games, but rather something more polished all-around, something more creative in terms of art style and something with much more interactions.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
It's amazing what devs can achieve now, hopefully the new tech and tools help alleviate some pressures. Honestly can't wait to see what they can do next gen. I'm not expecting much beyond what the well known big studios do because time and money but the new ceiling they can work under must be freeing to some degree.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, arrogance is a bad quality when paired with ignorance. Mesh shaders are easy to integrate into the existing engine pipeline for most devs. We'll see them used at the very beginning of next gen. Read up.
Arrogance and ignorance are all you, mate. The complexity of usage or integration of mesh shaders into an engine has zero to do with the fact that it will be very hard to make good usage of mesh shaders in games which will have to run not only on next gen but on current gen systems too. Read this again if you have issues grasping the info.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Arrogance and ignorance are all you, mate. The complexity of usage or integration of mesh shaders into an engine has zero to do with the fact that it will be very hard to make good usage of mesh shaders in games which will have to run not only on next gen but on current gen systems too. Read this again if you have issues grasping the info.

Launch next-gen games will probably not use Geometry engine/Mesh shader but Sony does not have the same cross-gen policy than MS.

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
Yep, is a drug dealer, and yes, is really impressive for an multiplayer Alpha on a lifelike solar system. That's not even the final tech BTW and need lot of work on other aspects aswell. With that said, it's not on par with Blizzard's cinematics.

The "issue" with FF is that for it cartoonish looking it lacks a lot of details you can see on games or cinematics that approach real life.

I mean, it's a lot easier try to build 3D animation with cartoon aspect than aproximate it to real life like in Uncharted, TLOU, Days Gone, COD, etc.

Talking especific of FFVIIR, and ignoring the amount of bugs on textures and low poly, you can even see in the main character that all materials are not close to CGI level (his shoulder protector or the sword handle for example).

XnW7qLx.jpg

I think next gen will use photogrammetry and photoscan materials for the models and environments. And that mixed with advance illumination techniques will look better than ever. There are examples of that now, it just need capable hardware.

Thats where FF7R fails some textures. But Photogrammetry is used in games already. CODMW (2019) and Death Stranding are examples :)

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
One thing I wonder is if we will soon have animation libraries like we have asset libraries. Like a company specializing in creating great animations for all kinds of animals that you can then put into your engine. I mean let's take a rabbit. A rabbit is a rabbit, if it is put into Red Dead 2 or The Last of Us 2 or whatever. Their movement is the same. I would love to see a company specialize on this kinda work, so that ravens flying away by a gunshot don't look wooden or mismatched with rest of the game.

As graphics approach CG levels, the next big thing will be animation and I don't think it's good practice to have every company designing their own rabbit animations.
this.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I wonder is if we will soon have animation libraries like we have asset libraries. Like a company specializing in creating great animations for all kinds of animals that you can then put into your engine. I mean let's take a rabbit. A rabbit is a rabbit, if it is put into Red Dead 2 or The Last of Us 2 or whatever. Their movement is the same. I would love to see a company specialize on this kinda work, so that ravens flying away by a gunshot don't look wooden or mismatched with rest of the game.
This is already a thing, like companies like maximo already exist and the assets are able to be ported. Thing is, like with any asset flip type company, AAA devs don't really go to them for assets. Instead making stuff on their own. Like yea a rabbit is a rabbit, but there's rockstar rabbits and naughty dog rabbits. Animation is made with the projects and projects iterating on those projects in mind. Hence why you never see asset flips in the AAA space.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Here's hoping, environmentally speaking, we get close to this in terms of richness of detail:

Given the polygonal detail we've witnessed from Miyazaki-san's earlier titles, esp. on current gen, this is entirely probable.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Indeed.

Looking back at early generation games, it is truly astounding what the devs had accomplished and continue accomplish sans some troubled releases on OG HW:

Snow drop engine was a looker. For some reason TD2's visuals don't jive with me anymore like it did with TD1.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Here be Gears of War Judgement on 360:

And now a small reminder what was attained on a system with 1.75GHz 8 core 8 thread Jag CPU, 12CU 853MHz 1.3TF GPU and a 5GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM allied to a 5400RPM HDD:

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Boot up Death Stranding, play until endgame, build zip-lines around the map and just zip around the extremely varied environments, up tall mountains, across the wetlands in rainy weather, etc. My jaw still drops.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Launch next-gen games will probably not use Geometry engine/Mesh shader but Sony does not have the same cross-gen policy than MS.
This. Sony's first party games in their launch window won't be cross-gen, and we will see their games use mesh shading and other new GPU features. Seems like the person is deliberately trying to misunderstand me so they can keep being "right". Oh well.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Except I never talked about cross-gen games? Since my very first comment I made it clear I was talking about Sony's first party launch exclusives, which will not be cross-gen, as confirmed by Jason Schreier.

Which means we will definitely see mesh shading in next gen launch games, which contradicts your assertion.

Reading is apparently hard.

The good news is, you'll only have to wait till this June to know you were wrong.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Lara hair in shadow of the tomb raider is the best.

Sorry bro. While PureHair (or TressFX) is a real time solution it has so many hiccups and causes a lot of bugs and clipping that doesn't look right and kidna limited. Advanced baked solutions like the DMC5 one and mostly FFXV Comrades that pre-calculate so many instances of hair reactions and blends them together and lets the character run them in different situations are really flawless and can allow you CGI quality that a real time solution can't have due to hardware limitations.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The rock seems to be used in Hellblade 2 , just before the volcano scene.

I think many of Quixel data will be shared among games. Tbh, while it looks great, this will get really boring at some point.
I hope many devs will invest in doing their own photogrammetry data or have hand made high fidelity textures conceived by artists for a chnage and to stand out.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
oh god. this thread is just making me think that games are gonna take waaayyyy longer to make next gen.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Again, the levels of atmosphere we reached this gen was phenomenal:

Let's look a few pure gameplay shots of Cloud-san's visage under differing lighting conditions from my personal collection:
The opening is hands down the best looking in the game to be fair, anyway i think people are shitting on AC too much, character models might be better in Remake, but the city in AC shows there is still ways to go to match CGI even from 2004.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
oh god. this thread is just making me think that games are gonna take waaayyyy longer to make next gen.
If (or when) they do, I'm not sure image quality will be the only culprit, or even the main one. Current tools and pipelines are quite fast and impressive. A lot of issues and delays come from poor managerial decisions. The stuff I'm hearing from Ubi right now for example is much more often related to bad or changing leadership than actual assets production (but at least Ubi treats its employees quite well from what I can gather).

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
We're talking about the technical side of things. It's objectively worse than most current AAA games.
If you like the artstyle and the look of environments, feel free to like it.
Of course its worse, but not generation worse. There is tech there thats actually not utilized by many modern games even like real time Caustics, penumbra shadows, advanced particle physics or area lights.
Except for advanced tessellation (it has some though), TAA, GPU accelerated particles, and having full PBR materials, it actually has almost the same tech feature set as other games.