Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what to do in regards to CyberPunk 2077.

Based off of CDPR's recent comments there'll be a current gen version, the current gen version on next-gen via BC with enhancements and a fully upgraded next-gen sku.

The fundamentals of the game were built around current consoles, so I wonder what that next-gen sku will bring to the table. I play most games through once and so I want it to be the best experience possible. So I'll be playing the BC/enhanced version at the very least but I'd like to know what the deal is with the latter option.

The great thing with CDPR is they're great at providing customers with info upfront so they can make informed decisions. Hopefully they'll detail it nearer the console launch.

Next-gen version will be the PC version most likely. The next-gen SKU is going to be the game + launch upgrade patch on disc. It won't be a different upgrade.

Jan 21, 2019
Name literally a single game that looks even remotely as good LDR.

Considering that the game will probably never have that amount of npcs on screen at once in the final product due to optimization that demo absolutely screamed next gen game. We are gonna have like a 30 page downgrade thread because they showed off a target with all the bells and whistles turned up to 100/what's actually feasible.

Not a single soul is arguing that any game looks as good as LDR. But the fact that The Last of Us 2 comes this close while rendering a frame every 33ms compared to shorts that were rendered over multiple weeks really makes the CGI stuff seem lame in comparison.

YnWdeaWxdgSZ8ZS5XY8Am9-1920-80.jpg

EQiNJ0V.jpg

Yeah, LDR looks better, but does it look "it took us 2 days to render this frame" better? Hell no.

Name literally a single game that looks even remotely as good LDR.

Considering that the game will probably never have that amount of npcs on screen at once in the final product due to optimization that demo absolutely screamed next gen game. We are gonna have like a 30 page downgrade thread because they showed off a target with all the bells and whistles turned up to 100/what's actually feasible.

Calling it rough actually feels disingenuous, because it was more conceptual in the please don't go offscript this demo will immediately break if you do sense than "actual game running and being played"

The only way you will ever say a game is a success graphically is when it has the size or Red Dead, the population density of real world Tokyo, the physics of a blender render, and interactions that only DeepMind can generate, right (I'm exaggerating of course)? Whenever people bring up a good looking game you downplay it by using this or that argument. Yeah, from this kinda perspective of yours, no game ever will be impressive. But people are blown away by Ghost of Tsushima, the PS5 will literally choke them to death with its capabilities. And no one will care if you can pick up every cup in the game and through at the 5000 people at the market square.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Not a single soul is arguing that any game looks as good as LDR. But the fact that The Last of Us 2 comes this close while rendering a frame every 33ms compared to shorts that were rendered over multiple weeks really makes the CGI stuff seem lame in comparison.
Considering the hell ND had to go through to optimize this game and get it running and optimized, (let's also acknowledge that it only looks like that in cinematics and very specific ones), yea there's still a gargantuan difference. Especially considering that LDR also can be seen at 4k. Like, watch any of the shorts, they look ridiculous and came from studios that game pubs pay to make cg trailers in the first place. And they probably still will be paying them to make CG trailers next gen.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, LDR looks better, but does it look "it took us 2 days to render this frame" better. Hell no.

The lighting though? The lighting and skin are not comparable. Look at how everything is casting proper shadows and AO and GI. The space between her face and hair. TLOU looks very flat in comparison. Like I said before, with high res face textures, Ellie can look very close under certain lighting conditions but still can't match the CGI. Not on PS4 at least.

Jan 21, 2019
The lighting though? The lighting and skin are not comparable. Look at how everything is casting proper shadows. The space between her face and hair. TLOU looks very flat in comparison. Like I said before, with high res face textures, Ellie can look very close under certain lighting conditions but still can't match the CGI. Not on PS4 at least.
Again, no one is arguing otherwise, but we are talking about 1.84TF rendering a frame every 33.3ms vs. a render farm having weeks and months to render.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The lighting though? The lighting and skin are not comparable. Look at how everything is casting proper shadows and AO and GI. The space between her face and hair. TLOU looks very flat in comparison. Like I said before, with high res face textures, Ellie can look very close under certain lighting conditions but still can't match the CGI. Not on PS4 at least.
Those kinds of differences, as big as they, are the reason why the average person never gets confused about whether or not they're looking at a video game, and can get genuinely confused about whether or not they're looking at CGI, or in a ton of places, don't even realize that they're looking at CG unless it's incredibly stylized and simply can't exist in our world, (Thanos, sci-fi spaceships, etc.).

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
Next-gen version will be the PC version most likely. The next-gen SKU is going to be the game + launch upgrade patch on disc. It won't be a different upgrade.

"In terms of Microsoft's console, we have officially confirmed both the update and the cross-gen availability, meaning that you'll be able to play the game from the get-go on the next-gen. However, when it comes to a proper, full-blown next-gen version, that's going to come later, we haven't announced when and I don't have a new comment here on that,"

It sees to me there's a cross-gen version which will include a update on next-gen consoles from the get-go; and a separate next-gen version... I'm just not sure if that "full-blown next-gen version" is gonna be an additional update or an additional sku.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
"In terms of Microsoft's console, we have officially confirmed both the update and the cross-gen availability, meaning that you'll be able to play the game from the get-go on the next-gen. However, when it comes to a proper, full-blown next-gen version, that's going to come later, we haven't announced when and I don't have a new comment here on that,"

It sees to me there's a cross-gen version which will include a update on next-gen consoles from the get-go; and a separate next-gen version... I'm just not sure if that "full-blown next-gen version" is gonna be an additional update or an additional sku.

a93ZzUD.png

www.videogameschronicle.com

CD Projekt says the ‘full-blown, next-gen’ Cyberpunk 2077 won’t be a launch game | VGC

UPDATE: CD Projekt releases statement…

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with that scene, as it is today, is that nothing exists beyond what you can see. There's no vast city, there's no full sized Central Park, there's no gameplay systems or AI or anything.
Yeah I would never expect this for an open world game but something like a new uncharted.... well let me dream 😀

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
All I want from next gen is the graphical fidelity of RDR2 at max PC settings at 60fps

I don't even care if it's checkerboarded 4k

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You know was watching this again and this is a really good visual benchmark for next gen.

The quality of the npcs during that crowd scene given the number of them on screen at once is insane.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Just give me 4k ultra settings with real ray tracing like Control is doing on PC right now
V8JD3HC.jpg

vCyfCmo.jpg

r6DhjN2.jpg
Mannn, seriously no one has gotten closer to that offline CG look than Remedy. This game looks ridiculous during gameplay. Like they got close enough that any of the more video gamey looking aspects, (hair, pre-made conversation gestures), stick out like a sore thumb compared to everything else.

wish final product would look like that
Gonna avoid the overly heated downgrade thread in general.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mannn, seriously no one has gotten closer to that offline CG look than Remedy. This game looks ridiculous during gameplay. Like they got close enough that any of the more video gamey looking aspects, (hair, pre-made conversation gestures), stick out like a sore thumb compared to everything else.

Gonna avoid the overly heated downgrade thread in general.
its gonna be insufferable aint it

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
One thing to remember when it comes comparisons between LDR and current gen "in-engine" trailers and even perhaps next gen games is that among the things that real time can't match offline renders is the texture quality. There's a threshold in terms of distance from the camera where the existing texture resolution starts to show telltale low resolution artifacts. IIRC, games today use a combination of 2K and 4K textures (esp. on mid-gen refreshers) for assets that necessitate high fidelity, like, as an example, main characters in third person perspective games at LoD 0.

Time for your friendly neighourhood potato guy:

Ah, brilliant! I totally missed this.

I guess that makes it easier now.

So a current gen version on current consoles, current gen versions on next-gen consoles that requires a patch to run and a next-gen upgrade patch at a later date.

Do note that that is only for XSX and XB1. CDPR said that they can't confirm anything about the PS version given Sony has not announced whether they intend to support a similar program.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more excited by what devs can create with the extra horsepower rather than just better graphics.

Feb 8, 2018
that C2077 reveal (Crowd Scene) is basically next-gen. The lighting, the crowd, the detailed buildings. What doesn't make it perfect are the glitches and I think noticed some pop-in too but other than that it's cool seeing everything coming together in that scene.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You know was watching this again and this is a really good visual benchmark for next gen.

The quality of the npcs during that crowd scene given the number of them on screen at once is insane.

It looks impressive, but also pretty obviously unfinished. The lighting in particular looks pretty flat in certain scenes. Personally, I expect it to look much more polished upon release for PC and probably next gen systems.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
This. I kind of expect the ceiling on graphics to be limited by budget more so than the power of the boxes. It will be so incredibly expensive to max the potential of these machines.
Yup.
"i want super high fidelity, should look like movies. The box can do it so why not? ND can"
"I dont want to pay more than 50 bucks for a game"
"No mtx! None whatsoever!"
"Dont overwork the staff! Devs unionize!"

one of the above has to go. Pick one.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i would pay 80-100 bucks for a long super gorgeous single player game. I would have paid it for red dead 2 and id probably pay it for cyberpunk next gen

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It's amazing to think how far UE4 got pushed on XB1 OG:

This. I kind of expect the ceiling on graphics to be limited by budget more so than the power of the boxes. It will be so incredibly expensive to max the potential of these machines.

This is why websites with megascan/photogrammetry textures asset libraries are in growth atm. Engines are about iterating on GUI and automating a lot of processes whereby the artists generally spends with composition and performance checks than creating most assets from scratch.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be waiting for the next-generation Gran Turismo to get a ball-park of how capable the PlayStation 5 will be.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It looks impressive, but also pretty obviously unfinished. The lighting in particular looks pretty flat in certain scenes. Personally, I expect it to look much more polished upon release for PC and probably next gen systems.
The most impressive bit of the demo to me that screams, "next gen" is this:

Not just because of the A+ visuals on display, but because of the premise that you can get attacked and then immediately engage in a high speed cinematic car chase. Like, i'm pretty sure that entire thing is a cinematic and we probably won't see anything that dynamic in the final product. Pause during any frame during that segment, it looked insane.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Yup.
"i want super high fidelity, should look like movies. The box can do it so why not? ND can"
"I dont want to pay more than 50 bucks for a game"
"No mtx! None whatsoever!"
"Dont overwork the staff! Devs unionize!"

one of the above has to go. Pick one.

Yeah, like you alluded you, only a few studios will be able to pull it off, but execs will want games to look incredible as well as for a modest budget.

The Sony/MS studios will be able to do it as are looking to sell consoles, not just make the maximum money on software.

Some of the 'big boys' like Rockstar and Activision will be able to pull it off as they can guarantee 25m sales minimum. Ubi will invest for a few of their largest franchises like AC.

Everyone else? Good luck!

Feb 8, 2018

Yes the lighting could technically be better, i just think it matches the rest of the art style and doesn't feel out of place. It does have that 2010's CGI vibe imo.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, LDR looks better, but does it look "it took us 2 days to render this frame" better? Hell no.

To you it might not, but I can definitely see 2 days worth of technical features present in one which arent in the other. The skin, sweat, hair and eyes are leagues beyond.

Games design around their limitations - in LDR her hair is pulled back, revealing the wispy strands and natural imperfections. in games hair always falls down - or it's pulled back meticulously. The hairline in the control screenshot above just doesnt compare.

If you think that feature is worth it or not, thats fine, but games wont look as detail rich as LDR (intentionally not using the word 'better') because they wont and cant include those kinds of details - because they are multiple hours to render a frame and a week to simulate level of details. People posting it as examples of what games could look like just arent actually looking at it closely. Or they're only noticing the shadows or reflections.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The most impressive bit of the demo to me that screams, "next gen" is this:

Not just because of the A+ visuals on display, but because of the premise that you can get attacked and then immediately engage in a high speed cinematic car chase. Like, i'm pretty sure that entire thing is a cinematic and we probably won't see anything that dynamic in the final product. Pause during any frame during that segment, it looked insane.

Yeah it looks great and I have a feeling we haven't seen anything yet. It is going to be incredible.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, like you alluded you, only a few studios will be able to pull it off, but execs will want games to look incredible as well as for a modest budget.

The Sony/MS studios will be able to do it as are looking to sell consoles, not just make the maximum money on software.

Some of the 'big boys' like Rockstar and Activision will be able to pull it off as they can guarantee 25m sales minimum. Ubi will invest for a few of their largest franchises like AC.

Everyone else? Good luck!

I can see Capcom and Square Enix game pulling it off. They're doing great this generation.

As for smaller devs, the tools will make it easier for them to achieve high fidelity graphics. I fail to think of a bad looking AA or AAA game this generation. Unreal Engine is doing wonders for smaller devs.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
To you it might not, but I can definitely see 2 days worth of technical features present in one which arent in the other. The skin, sweat, hair and eyes are leagues beyond.
Games design around their limitations - in LDR her hair is pulled back, revealing the wispy strands and natural imperfections. in games hair always falls down - or it's pulled back meticulously.
If you think that feature is worth it or not, thats fine, but games wont look as detail rich as LDR (intentionally not using the word 'better') because they wont and cant include those kinds of details.
There are also peach fuzz hair which we will probably wont see even next-gen.