• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Realistically, I do not see a world in which Bokeh is able to secure enough independent funding to make a sequel to a dead franchise and then ALSO get Sony to give them the rights to make that game.

The series just does not have the kind of appeal to make this kind of scenario anywhere close to likely.
Gravity Rush isn't expensive to produce and Sony isn't going to be stingy with the IP. They also still have a strong relationship with Toyama (only so many times this can be pointed out) and are well aware that Bokeh Game Studio is basically Team Gravity anyway.

"The series just does not have the kind of appeal to make this kind of scenario anywhere close to likely."

Yeah, Gravity Rush has so little appeal, there's no way that Sony (who has no plans for it) would throw it at an indie studio made up of the franchise creators. /s

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk, I put GR2 in the same category as Neo TWEWY. I'm just grateful a sequel was made at all. I'm satisfied.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Please fucking yes. A Steam release would probably surpass the previous sales in days.
serious-laugh-harder.gif

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
I think mouse could handle aiming better than a controller,1+2 collection would be awesome

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
These games were never given the marketing muscle to make a splash and people wonder why they didn't make a splash.

It would be awesome if Toyama could purchase the IP from Sony and take it multiplatform, or find a publisher that would do it justice, but I don't see Sony doing that even with an IP they killed and have zero interest in reviving.

A PC release is the dream though. Gravity Shifting is one of the most exhilarating traversal mechanics in all of gaming and deserves to realize its full glory @ 120+ fps.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
First one was decent. Secound one a poor game imo

i doubt they made Sony any profit at all. I can't think of any reason why they would green light another

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
When I get a PS5 the first thing I'm gonna do is replay Gravity Rush 1 and 2 honestly. Some of the best games I've ever played, and it's a real shame Sony never marketed it and it ended up not meeting expectations.

I'd love to see a PC port or even a sequel honestly

Jul 1, 2020
I'd say DS is even weirder than GR tbh
Death Stranding is the "walking simulator" that every story focused indie game is trashed for supposedly being. There are a lot of gameplay systems and mechanics based around Sam Porter Bridges putting one foot in front of the other than most every other game except for QWOP.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Really enjoyed the first Gravity Rush but I couldn't get into the second one, I don't see Sony green lighting another game in the series.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

License it out to them and they make it. Obviously Siony gets a cut if they still want the IP.

Release on PC and PS5.
No, Sony would still publish the game in that case, which would require putting money into the development & marketing.

I thought you were a talking a situation like with Q-Games & the Tomorrow Children. Sony gave the rights to Q-Games. They no longer own The Tomorrow Children IP.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Gravity Rush isn't expensive to produce and Sony isn't going to be stingy with the IP. They also still have a strong relationship with Toyama (only so many times this can be pointed out) and are well aware that Bokeh Game Studio is basically Team Gravity anyway.

It really doesn't matter what Toyama says about their relationship - he was being diplomatic and not spitting in Sony's face after leaving, that doesn't mean that Sony has ANY interest in bringing back Gravity Rush or just handing him the IP to do whatever he wants with it.

Is there the minutest fraction of a possibility of a chance? Yes. Is that chance anywhere close to realistic? No.

Dec 23, 2017
"GRC: Gravity Rush 2 could be played entirely in first-person mode. You once mentioned that the fans should make their voice heard if they wanted to see a VR mode included in the game. While this didn't become a reality, it had me wondering if the development team ever experimented with a VR mode for the game?

KT: We had run tests. The frame rate was low, so it was far from any comfortable experience… Even so, the feeling of entering this other world was touching. Due to the nature of the game being an gravity-controlling action, we had hit a brick wall in terms of sustaining a high frame rate for VR."

eyes_1f440.png

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I wish. When Sony started their PC initiative I hoped that would also mean they'd also port their older, 100% dead, Japan Studio stuff and not only their blockbusters. They clearly have no future on console while on PC they'd definitely at least have legs, but I'm still skeptical Sony would invest in PC-exclusive projects with no console remaster/remake alongside them.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
If they were marketed heavily they would have made a bigger loss

There's more to marketing than expensive TV spots during NBA games. Gravity Rush was never positioned as a big deal at any level.

This was also before Sony consolidated their marketing efforts under one global branch, so it was very much a victim of regional/targeted campaigns that wouldn't necessarily have global appeal or reach. Happened a lot with games they didn't consider "flagship".

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
These games were never given the marketing muscle to make a splash and people wonder why they didn't make a splash.

It would be awesome if Toyama could purchase the IP from Sony and take it multiplatform, or find a publisher that would do it justice, but I don't see Sony doing that even with an IP they killed and have zero interest in reviving.

A PC release is the dream though. Gravity Shifting is one of the most exhilarating traversal mechanics in all of gaming and deserves to realize its full glory @ 120+ fps.
I don't think Bokeh Game Studio needs to purchase the IP to get access to it. I'm honestly surprised by some of these comments "Sony would never license this niche property that they have no plans for to the indie studio run by the niche developers that created it in the first place."

that doesn't mean that Sony has ANY interest in bringing back Gravity Rush or just handing him the IP to do whatever he wants with it
If your going to hand it to anyone, the inexpensive franchise creators who you still have business connections with make the most sense.

"that doesn't mean that Sony has ANY interest in bringing back Gravity Rush"

Which is exactly why Bokeh even has a shot. If Gravity Rush was some highly popular AAA IP, then I would agree with you.

Feb 15, 2019
Huh I don't really get the marketing complaints. I thought the marketing for this game was actually pretty good. Both 1 and 2 were at E3. It had multiple collabs with different games and it literally got a 20 minute anime episode on the Playstation Youtube channel to advertise it. What else could they really have done? You guys weren't expecting like a huge Horizon Zero Dawn marketing right?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If your going to hand it to anyone, the franchise creators who you still have business connections with make the most sense.

Which is exactly why Bokeh even has a shot. If Gravity Rush was some highly popular AAA IP, then I would agree with you.

Realistically they just won't give it to anyone, original creators or otherwise.

Also, none of the Japanese leadership that Toyama worked with is still at Sony. That relationship is gone. The folks at XDEV Japan aren't going to give him the Gravity Rush IP as a favor.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
They need to either get rid of all the fetch quests or higher proper quest designers to design them. They drag the second game down seriously

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I wish. When Sony started their PC initiative I hoped that would also mean they'd also port their older, 100% dead, Japan Studio stuff and not only their blockbusters. They clearly have no future on console while on PC they'd definitely at least have legs, but I'm still skeptical Sony would invest in PC-exclusive projects with no console remaster/remake alongside them.

This.

Yeah this would just be a waste of budget instead of using it for a game people will actually buy

And not this.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Would be neat. My wallet is ready for those ports.

Probably not for a while, if Sony remains focused on bringing their A tier blockbusters to PC first.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Bokeh Game Studio needs to purchase the IP to get access to it. I'm honestly surprised by some of these comments "Sony would never license this niche property that they have no plans for to the indie studio run by the niche developers that created it in the first place."

If your going to hand it to anyone, the inexpensive franchise creators who you still have business connections with make the most sense.

If Toyama wanted to independently fund a PlayStation exclusive revival (at least console exclusive) or fund a PC port and give Sony a free cut, sure. But I don't see them outright giving up the rights to any IP, alive or dead . Even with something they see as insignificant.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
If Toyama wanted to independently fund a PlayStation exclusive revival (at least console exclusive) or fund a PC port and give Sony a free cut, sure. But I don't see them outright giving up the rights to any IP, alive or dead . Even with something they see as insignificant.
I was suggesting the former.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

And I legitimately don't see how Toyama would be able to independently finance a project nobody cared about enough to buy three times in the past. Is he gonna get an angel investor to fund the whole game? Do people think he's gonna be able to Kickstarter the budget for a sequel?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Sony gave Harmonix the opportunity to work on Amplitude again... through a Kickstarter? Fun times.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
And I legitimately don't see how Toyama would be able to independently finance a project nobody cared about enough to buy three times in the past. Is he gonna get an angel investor to fund the whole game? Do people think he's gonna be able to Kickstarter the budget for a sequel?

The success metrics for Bokeh would be different than SIE/PlayStation Studios. Also it's disingenuous to say no one cares as clearly the series still has a cult following 5 years after death.

And ideally it would be multiplatform. Which opens it up to PC, Switch, Game Pass, not just the tastes of PlayStation gamers.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think there's much interest not even PC, I had all versions of the GR games but I don't quite think it's as easy to get into. Flying aspects look cool but in practical experience with that aspect can vary between people and combination of some enemy/mission designs can make players not really feel well. I loved the visuals, music, the characters, but I think the gameplay aspect and missions were the weakest aspects of the overall game, It would be more interesting if they took some ideas, made something else with it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The success metrics for Bokeh would be different than SIE/PlayStation Studios. Also it's disingenuous to say no one cares as clearly the series still has a cult following 5 years after death.

And ideally it would be multiplatform. Which opens it up to PC, Switch, Game Pass, not just the tastes of PlayStation gamers.

Sony owns the IP. They're not going to let Bokeh bring it to Switch and Xbox. Don't be ridiculous.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Before Zack Snyder's Justice League was announced, I wondered who was going to spend $40 million+ finishing a rough cut of an expensive flop that didn't so much as break even at the box office.

Bokeh Game Studio developing Gravity Rush 3 is nothing. At this point, everyone knows it would only be appealing to a specific audience anyway. As opposed to Sony marketing it on banners, Coke cans, crossovers, tie-ins, ETC, trying to make it stick.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
For Sony's refusal to do Bloodborne, I will accept Gravity Rush, Wipeout and The Last Guardian in exchange.

Oct 27, 2017
No, Sony would still publish the game in that case, which would require putting money into the development & marketing.

I thought you were a talking a situation like with Q-Games & the Tomorrow Children. Sony gave the rights to Q-Games. They no longer own The Tomorrow Children IP.
I mean, they can work out a deal that benefits them both. They have a long history together.

But giving them the IP outright would be good too.

As long as we get more GR then I am happy either way.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Unless the physics are tied to the framerate (please no...) I'd love to see a patch for GR2 to have 60fps on PS5, a native PS5 port (not happening) or a PC port with it. I'd be there day one for either game on PC, though, honestly.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Existence in general for the franchise would be a win in my book. Seeing it on PC would be nice even with no new game coming out.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
I think it's time to let it go, they tried with the original the remake and the sequel and it never took off. An absolute shame but I don't see Kat and Dusty ever appearing again outside of an Astrobot cameo