Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
By that I mean characters pairings and moments that fans talked about wanting about online over and over and over until they finally get it.

For example if MCU Spider-Man 3 included Tobey and Andrew like the Internet constantly memes, it would qualify.

My pick For great
8da1605c2297358807320492b55530bf.png

Muffins aka derpy was an off-model background pony in the first season of MLP.
derpy_031.jpg

Fans decides they loved Her, created an entire headcanon of Her being a clumsy mailman in the Town the show takew place in.... And show runners loved that. They started purposely drawing Her eyes funny and hiding ver un the background.

Her popularity kept growing until she eventually became a fully voiced minor character in the show... As the towns clumsy mailman

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel most cases of this are negative unless they expand beyond what the fandom had in mind.

That's not to say creators shouldn't listen to fans, but too often these scenarios just end at what fans wanted without any attempt to do something more.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Olicity thread?

Olicity thread.

Wasn't Olicity more a case of living long enough to see yourself become the villain? I more or less stopped watching Arrow after the first two or three episodes of season 3, but back in the first two seasons people were often talking about how forced and uninteresting the Laurel relationship was.

I've seen clips like the one with the wheelchair that show how bad Olicity became, but it doesn't feel like it was always trash. It just seems like it became a victim of the CW's constantly escalating melodrama machine. I don't know enough about how the fandom acted to comment on fans, but hardcore shippers can absolutely be horrid.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Reylo - made ZERO sense with how the characters arcs were written

- Thematically it actually does makes sense that the closing trilogy to the Star Wars saga would have a romance that brought balance to the force...rather than darkness (as anakinxPadme did)....but the entire trilogy needed to be written different for that to have been compelling enough

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Derpy always particularly bothered me because she was in essence one giant mentally-handicapped joke and I still remember the fan backlash over Hasbro deciding, shock of all shocks, that they wouldn't play her as a giant mentally-handicapped joke.

Have no idea how things are on that now but yech.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Olicity more a case of living long enough to see yourself become the villain? I more or less stopped watching Arrow after the first two or three episodes of season 3, but back in the first two seasons people were often talking about how forced and uninteresting the Laurel relationship was.

I've seen clips like the one with the wheelchair that show how bad Olicity became, but it doesn't feel like it was always trash. It just seems like it became a victim of the CW's constantly escalating melodrama machine. I don't know enough about how the fandom acted to comment on fans, but hardcore shippers can absolutely be horrid.

Basically fans asked for Olicity because Amell had terrible chemistry with Katie Cassidy, and then when they got it the CW tanked it with standard CW melodrama.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
A lot Stargate SG-1 fans wanted Jack O'Neill and Samantha Carter together and although never stated in the show, it was implied by the producers.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Bumblebee or Blake/Yang from RWBY. The fanbase is SUPER obnoxious and this pretty much sums it up:

maxresdefault.jpg

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Derpy always particularly bothered me because she was in essence one giant mentally-handicapped joke and I still remember the fan backlash over Hasbro deciding, shock of all shocks, that they wouldn't play her as a giant mentally-handicapped joke.

The solution they went with is that the official name for the character is Muffins; and while fanworks often went into the "woe is me" aspects of her life, Muffins in the show seemed quite comfortable in her life. Also, Tabitha St. Germain was directed to give her a feminine voice, as opposed to the male voice she provided in the first airing of "The Last Roundup" (she said as much after the episode aired that she played the character as male).

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
File the entirety of Metal Gear Solid 4 under terrible things fans willed into existence.

Jun 17, 2019
For Character, does the return of Optimus Prime count when they brought him back to the Transformers.

Maybe Spike coming back to Buffy.

Darth Maul kinda is that too.

Moments that I can think of is Kevin Conroy as Batman physically and Mark Hamill back to play Trickster on the Flash.

Pairings prior to social media is harder because fans didnt have direct access to creators.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Basically fans asked for Olicity because Amell had terrible chemistry with Katie Cassidy, and then when they got it the CW tanked it with standard CW melodrama.

That makes sense, so it was only ever good in theory compared to the initial pairing, but once fans got what they wanted it was a melodramatic nightmare.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am absolutely sure fans willed all of the shitty aspects of Rise of Skywalker

not just Reylo kiss, although that one was especially forced and pointless and retconned prequel lore
  1. Chewbacca's "death" was forced- they wanted to kill him off but feared backlash so he's shown to be fine later and rescued with very little plot momentum or weight
  2. Snoke being a palpatine clone or whatever
  3. Palpatine being in it at all- completely wrecked up the movie, given there's ample evidence to suggest that they were trying to figure it out while editing the fucking movie
  4. Kylo putting on the mask again for no goddamn reason
  5. The score getting cut nearly in half of what the conductor originally composed, limited to just sequel and original trilogy tracks when we were supposed to get a much more unified soundtrack that brought in all the previous movies into a synergized soundtrack that would have probably been an incredible Williams' opus showcase. Instead we get a movie where motifs and reprisals are used without any real thematic throughline for their usage.
  6. Luke walking back a lot of his characterization from the last jedi.
  7. Rey being both a Palpatine and a honorary Skywalker, since I guess the more interesting angle of her being nobody was just too upsetting
  8. That entire end shot with her on Tatooine, alone walking into the two suns, a place she has no fucking relevance to and distances the original "you came from nowhere" plotline that was set up for her, instead making it about bloodlines as opposed to found family
the only thing that was done perhaps to spite fans was the denial and introduction of a straight love interest for poe, although this has its own glaring issues especially when the actors were trying to play them as not hetreo in the previous movies

film fucking sucks and you can smell course correction all over it

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I generally avoid all the shipping bullshit but "Reylo" was embarrassing. It made no sense at all for the characters or the story.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Is the characterization of the Final Fantasy VII heroes a good example. The original had Cloud as a more level headed veteran who acted tough early on but was hiding behind his failure and scrambled memories whom learned to be himself and care for his friends. Then Kingdom Hearts has him showing up brooding with elementals of Vincent grafted onto him. Cue Advent Children where his personality is now cold loner that fans always mistook him for. This carried on to Dirge of Cerberus as well. The other party members also had this problem too. Thankfully the remake went back to the original personality for everyone.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Can't tell if they're saying it's great or awful.

Also was Korrasami something willed by the fans?

Not sure if this counts. Wasn't there a lot of people who wanted Naruto and Sakura to end up together and were subsequently pissed when he married Hinata instead?

NaruSaku was popular but it wasn't as popular as NaruHina and SasuSaku who were #2 and #1 respecticelg

Only the gay ships in Naruto were more popular thanNaruHina and SasuSaku.

That said, Kishimoto set the ships pretty early on with some wavering and he created some NaruSaku red herrings to keep the suspense of who Naruto was gonna end up with going.

Kishimoto even has sketches of Sarada going hundreds of chapters back before she ever made an entrance into the story (although some could make a case that Sarada could have easily been Sasuke and Karin's daughter).

A Naruto ship willed by the fans is likely Temari x Shikamaru although that's not a bad ship at all.

Nov 17, 2017
NaruSaku was popular but it wasn't as popular as NaruHina and SasuSaku who were #2 and #1 respecticelg

Only the gay ships in Naruto were more popular thanNaruHina and SasuSaku.

That said, Kishimoto set the ships pretty early on with some wavering and he created some NaruSaku red herrings to keep the suspense of who Naruto was gonna end up with going.

Kishimoto even has sketches of Sarada going hundreds of chapters back before she ever made an entrance into the story (although some could make a case that Sarada could have easily been Sasuke and Karin's daughter).

A Naruto ship willed by the fans is likely Temari x Shikamaru although that's not a bad ship at all.
Are any of those confirmed ships? I'm genuinely asking cause a popular ship ending up canon wouldn't necessarily mean it was willed by fans unless the writer came out and said it or there was a clear shift. Shikamaru and Temari for example always just seemed like a logical conclusion and the two had a chemistry so it would be only natural that it was also popular.

AliceAbstract

Oct 27, 2017

Really? I never felt that way about Derpy or most of the fandom's treatment of her, and I'm a neurodivergent with a lazy eye myself, so!
To me, she was a beloved (I'm sure some people only loved her ironically) bit of not-often-seen representation.

I was thrilled when she finally had lines (I didn't even mind her "guy voice" that much, except I thought it sounded forced) and was more upset by the big clash afterward that suggested Hasbro might/should remove her completely. Pretty much the last episode of that show I recall watching, really.

Glad to hear she became a regular.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It can be nice when fan reaction changes a storyline in wrestling, think Kofi Kingston, New Day debuted and the fans shit on it to the point they had to turn heel, following a long run they get over as faces and then by chance a singles push leading to wrestlemania made it hard to go against him winning the belt.

Daniel Brian again was over so much it pretty much directed his story.

sure they like to shit on fans a lot but there's a few times where it turns out well

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The Owl House has what isn't an example of this, but rather what appears to have been a deliberate attempt to make fans desperately want something like what's in this thread, only to deliver on it in the first season. People were shipping the hell out of Luz and Amity before they even really interacted, so it was crazy to see the show actually go through with it. (Well, they aren't a couple yet, but confirming Amity really has a crush on Luz is still huge.)

Now what is an example of this is Star vs. The Forces of Evil and Star x Marco. They were a popular ship first season, especially with an episode that stated they were destined to be together, but then there was relationship drama between them that fans didn't like, and they both dated other people and even had an episode explicitly undoing their destiny to be together, and fans largely moved on. But fuck that, they break up with everyone else off screen and fall in love for the finale. Just one part of a mess of a final season.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Something everyone needs to remember: Just because the writers put in something you disagree with and other fans want does not mean they are pandering to those fans. Sometimes, writers just aren't going to do what you want from a story.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Xena/Gabrielle is probably the poster child of such a ship being played with to the point that it's agreed to be canon by everyone.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
If anything I wish fans could will Starfire and Dick Grayson getting back together. DC's insistence on denying a great couple and not having them co-star in a Nightwing book or something is maddening.