• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Bumblebee or Blake/Yang from RWBY. The fanbase is SUPER obnoxious and this pretty much sums it up:

maxresdefault.jpg

The only reason this one is bad is because of the way the fanbase was so obnoxious about it, but this ship really isn't bad (though they also haven't done anything with it yet, so eh) and fit pretty well with the way the characters have been written since the beginning. Plus, the voice actors for both characters really wanted the ship to happen (and the creator apparently wanted LGBT representation, but nothing else has been said further, maybe Bumblebee was planned) and it has a lot of potential for good character development. It just hasn't happened yet because the RWBY writing team tries to juggle way to many topics per season despite limited runtime

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Reylo is a special level of terrible. Even the worst ships usually have something to them, some basis for it you can look back on and acknowledge, but Reylo was just not something that The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and even most of Rise of Skywalker was building to, there is no foundation to it. It is one of the most pathetic pieces of fanservice I've ever come across.

On the positive side, and I'm not sure how much of this was "fan willed" vs. just the show going the direction on its own accord, but Root and Shaw from Person of Interest is something that you couldn't have planned from the getgo and it was perfect.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
If anything I wish fans could will Starfire and Dick Grayson getting back together. DC's insistence on denying a great couple and not having them co-star in a Nightwing book or something is maddening.

You and me both. Its so annoying that they play down that relationship because they only want Batfamily shenanigans all the time. I stand by saying that DickBabs is an awful couple they keep pushing.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
The only reason this one is bad is because of the way the fanbase was so obnoxious about it, but this ship really isn't bad (though they also haven't done anything with it yet, so eh) and fit pretty well with the way the characters have been written since the beginning. Plus, the voice actors for both characters really wanted the ship to happen (and the creator apparently wanted LGBT representation, but nothing else has been said further, maybe Bumblebee was planned) and it has a lot of potential for good character development. It just hasn't happened yet because the RWBY writing team tries to juggle way to many topics per season despite limited runtime

Eh, it's not really well written in my view for these reasons:

I mean they don't really interact that much in vol 1, in vol 2 all they have is the candle and dance scene, then all of a sudden in vol 3 they are so close that Yang cries when Blake doesn't believe her, and she's considered someone Blake loves. Then they don't interact or mention each other in vol 4 except briefly then in vol 5 Yang reveals she needs Blake and cries over her. Why does Yang need Blake? When was Blake shown as a deep emotional support for her? Why does Yang even like her and vice-versa? What about their interactions in vol 1-3 suggested such a deep bond. Then in Vol 6 they talk briefly in episode 1, then they talk about Adam for a bit, then Blake offends Yang, but then they are all of sudden smiley, feely to each other before becoming lovey-dovey. What? When did all the steps needed to go from A to B occur? You may like it and think it's good and that's fine and valid, but I REALLY don't see it.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a funny example from the Monster Hunter games.

A promotional video for Monster Hunter's 15th anniversary ended with a sinister teaser featuring the black dragon Fatalis, final boss of the original Monster Hunter.

Fans went wild. We immediately assumed Capcom were teasing Fatalis downloadable content in Monster Hunter World. Because why else would Capcom make a completely new and lovingly detailed HD model for Fatalis? Why else would Capcom lift their 15 year ban on Fatalis in Monster Hunter advertising? Clearly they were hyping up something they had in the pipeline.

Sure enough, nearly a year later Fatalis was revealed as the final new DLC boss for Monster Hunter World, just as we had known.

Cv43N3eg9TKH7dMpfHQ5y7.jpg

Except here's the thing: The 15th Anniversary video wasn't a teaser for Fatalis. In fact, the developers weren't even planning to add Fatalis to Monster Hunter World at the time. They only changed their minds when they saw the huge positive fan reaction to the 15th anniversary video. The devs even had to make a completely new detailed HD model because the promotional model wasn't actually designed to be used for a game.

Our erroneous belief that Capcom were teasing Fatalis DLC was what triggered Capcom's decision to make Fatalis DLC.

We willed the final boss for Monster Hunter World into existence by complete accident.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of this fan created ship is that Korra's voice actress inadvertently started it with all her fangirling over Asami in the season 1 commentary:

Made it pretty easy for tumblr to do what tumblr did best. Plus, at that point the Mako love triangle was so unbearable that the fanbase was willing to bandwagon anything to stop it.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Not a ship, but Mass Effect 3 references community jokes that were built from ME2 quite a lot. Garrus's "date" with Shepard in ME3 pretty much reads like fan fiction, complete with nods to lines like "this is my favorite place on the Citadel."

FFXIV has a good one that may have been a reaction to the base release of Heavensward. For some background about the Heavensward story: moogles are a pain in the ass, and Aymeric is a pretty popular character. So in one of the later patches, Aymeric invites you over for dinner at his place. During that dinner, you get to tell him all about how annoying those moogles were lol.

I think that scene went over really well - I remember some people deliberately dressed up their characters for this dinner date with him.

May 26, 2018
The best part of this fan created ship is that Korra's voice actress inadvertently started it with all her fangirling over Asami in the season 1 commentary:

Made it pretty easy for tumblr to do what tumblr did best. Plus, at that point the Mako love triangle was so unbearable that the fanbase was willing to bandwagon anything to stop it.

lol I never saw that, that's amazing. It's like... Have you ever seen Korra and Janet Varney at the same place at the same time? No?

now we know

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
Adora/Catra. I think there were enough sprinkles for either Adora/Catra or Scorpia/Catra. There was a showrunner interview that did say they pushed all the way through with making their lead Adora LGBTQ after the show was established enough. It helped that the Adora/Catra ship was popular with fans anyway, so it's a good ship that fans helped to push.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

A promotional video for Monster Hunter's 15th anniversary ended with a sinister teaser featuring the black dragon Fatalis, final boss of the original Monster Hunter.

Fans went wild. We immediately assumed Capcom were teasing Fatalis downloadable content in Monster Hunter World. Because why else would Capcom make a completely new and lovingly detailed HD model for Fatalis? Why else would Capcom lift their 15 year ban on Fatalis in Monster Hunter advertising? Clearly they were hyping up something they had in the pipeline.

Sure enough, nearly a year later Fatalis was revealed as the final new DLC boss for Monster Hunter World, just as we had known.

Except here's the thing: The 15th Anniversary video wasn't a teaser for Fatalis. In fact, the developers weren't even planning to add Fatalis to Monster Hunter World at the time. They only changed their minds when they saw the huge positive fan reaction to the 15th anniversary video. The devs even had to make a completely new detailed HD model because the promotional model wasn't actually designed to be used for a game.

Our erroneous belief that Capcom were teasing Fatalis DLC was what triggered Capcom's decision to make Fatalis DLC.

We willed the final boss for Monster Hunter World into existence by complete accident.

This is one of the coolest examples in the thread hahaha

grand

Oct 25, 2017
lol I never saw that, that's amazing. It's like... Have you ever seen Korra and Janet Varney at the same place at the same time? No?

now we know
It also helped that at the same time Korra season 1 aired, Janet Varney was starring in a Bachelor spoof called Burning Love where she played a lesbian contestant who somehow kept not getting voted off. It gave tumblr so much material:

Adora/Catra. I think there were enough sprinkles for either Adora/Catra or Scorpia/Catra. There was a showrunner interview that did say they pushed all the way through with making their lead Adora LGBTQ after the show was established enough. It helped that the Adora/Catra ship was popular with fans anyway, so it's a good ship that fans helped to push.
There is no way this counts as a fan ship. Catra & Adora were obvious from day one and the show spent 52 episodes emphasizing that. The only question was whether or not the network would let it happen after a Netflix executive freaked out about the prom episode.

The entire underlying drama of the show is that Adora & Catra act like bitter ex's who still have feelings for each other. If anything, this is a fan supported plot, not relationship, as the attention the Catra & Adora dynamic got allowed the team to abandon the "gotta catch them all" princess plot and instead focus on the gay angst

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I may be wrong. but I heard their relationship kinda not steady in the comics?
Nah, the comics are just garbage and the did the lame misunderstandings and "Asami is insulting Korra, relationship troubles! oh but wait, Asami was just brainwashed the entire time" plotlines. They're fine by the end

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Are any of those confirmed ships? I'm genuinely asking cause a popular ship ending up canon wouldn't necessarily mean it was willed by fans unless the writer came out and said it or there was a clear shift. Shikamaru and Temari for example always just seemed like a logical conclusion and the two had a chemistry so it would be only natural that it was also popular.

SasuSaku, NaruHina and ShikaTema are confirmed ships.

So the thing with Shikamaru x Temari is that it's clear there wasn't meant to be romantic tension from the beginning. Temari was someone near to be fight Shikamaru because Kishimoto found it amusing that a chauvinist like Shikamaru has to fight women in Part 1 (Kin, Temari and Tayuya).

But when Kishimoto had the Sand Siblings come back for the Sasuke Retrieval Arc to save them, Temari and Gaara hooked up with the people they previously interacted with (Lee and Shikamaru) while Kankuro got Kiba because Kankuro didn't have a connection to anyone besides Shino who wasn't there.

I think the reason why people think Temari x Shikamaru is the ship that made the most sense is that Kishimoto wasn't approaching it from the angle of love interest from the beginning. Temari wasn't created to be Shikamaru's woman (Sakura and Hinata on the other hand were created to be Sasuke and Naruto's girlfriends) so there was ension there built up that was left unsaid as Temari never says "I love Shikamaru". And that tension between Shikamaru and Temari are what lead it to be popular and personally, I think Kishimoto heard that it was popular by the beginning of Shippuden which is why we get this:

bf3bd5085a27f018325fcabd919ea4eb.jpg

Basically, if Kishimoto knew he'd hook up Shikamaru and Temari then he'd have approached things worse and Temari would've probably ended up a worse character for it because her concept would have been different.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am absolutely sure fans willed all of the shitty aspects of Rise of Skywalker

not just Reylo kiss, although that one was especially forced and pointless and retconned prequel lore
  1. Chewbacca's "death" was forced- they wanted to kill him off but feared backlash so he's shown to be fine later and rescued with very little plot momentum or weight
  2. Snoke being a palpatine clone or whatever
  3. Palpatine being in it at all- completely wrecked up the movie, given there's ample evidence to suggest that they were trying to figure it out while editing the fucking movie
  4. Kylo putting on the mask again for no goddamn reason
  5. The score getting cut nearly in half of what the conductor originally composed, limited to just sequel and original trilogy tracks when we were supposed to get a much more unified soundtrack that brought in all the previous movies into a synergized soundtrack that would have probably been an incredible Williams' opus showcase. Instead we get a movie where motifs and reprisals are used without any real thematic throughline for their usage.
  6. Luke walking back a lot of his characterization from the last jedi.
  7. Rey being both a Palpatine and a honorary Skywalker, since I guess the more interesting angle of her being nobody was just too upsetting
  8. That entire end shot with her on Tatooine, alone walking into the two suns, a place she has no fucking relevance to and distances the original "you came from nowhere" plotline that was set up for her, instead making it about bloodlines as opposed to found family
the only thing that was done perhaps to spite fans was the denial and introduction of a straight love interest for poe, although this has its own glaring issues especially when the actors were trying to play them as not hetreo in the previous movies

film fucking sucks and you can smell course correction all over it
Just when I think I've forgotten how much I really dislike TROS on so many levels, a perfect post like this comes along and reminds me. Well done and god dammit ;_;

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the characterization of the Final Fantasy VII heroes a good example. The original had Cloud as a more level headed veteran who acted tough early on but was hiding behind his failure and scrambled memories whom learned to be himself and care for his friends. Then Kingdom Hearts has him showing up brooding with elementals of Vincent grafted onto him. Cue Advent Children where his personality is now cold loner that fans always mistook him for. This carried on to Dirge of Cerberus as well. The other party members also had this problem too. Thankfully the remake went back to the original personality for everyone.
Cloud got sick with a fatal disease and was scared of losing the family he had built with Tifa (on top of still feeling guilt about Aerith and Zack's deaths). AC is a shitty movie but Cloud's battle with depression, survivor's guilt, and dealing with the trauma / PTSD of being experimented on isn't him just being some cold emo loner like a lot of people label it as. It's a realistic direction for a character who has dealt with all of that. The problem is that a lot of the nuances of this is in the novels that take place between the end of game and before the movie + it good be better written.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017

This kind of reminds me of something that happened in a much less notable and successful game. Back during the post Warcraft MMO boom of the aughts A company decided to make a MMO based on Warhammer fantasy, 40K's little brother. They put out a fun little announcement trailer.

m.youtube.com

Warhammer Online Cinematic Trailer

Watch the brutal confrontation between the Empire and Chaos as a Warrior Priest of Sigmar and a massive Chaos Warrior literally slug it out in the vicious fi...

Now like most announcement trailers that was made well before anything about the game was finalized. Just to offer a taste. But it built up a lot of hype, especially the appearance of a dwarf slayer (the mohawked dual wieleing dwarf) most people just assume that the slayer would be playable.

But when the dev started announcing classes, no Slayer. Instead they had another dwarf unit as the DPS class. apparently they didn't know how to make gear a class that was walked around nearly naked.

The developer receives so much flack and there have been so much excitement of the Slayer they eventually surrendered, cut out the class they were going to put in and all its mechanics and gear that had already been made andv started working on a slayer class bEven though all that work would mean the class wouldn't be available until well after launch (though to be fair it was hardly the only thing missing at launch.).

people just decided they wouldn't accept a certain class and eventually they got what they wanted.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's not really well written in my view for these reasons:

I mean they don't really interact that much in vol 1, in vol 2 all they have is the candle and dance scene, then all of a sudden in vol 3 they are so close that Yang cries when Blake doesn't believe her, and she's considered someone Blake loves. Then they don't interact or mention each other in vol 4 except briefly then in vol 5 Yang reveals she needs Blake and cries over her. Why does Yang need Blake? When was Blake shown as a deep emotional support for her? Why does Yang even like her and vice-versa? What about their interactions in vol 1-3 suggested such a deep bond. Then in Vol 6 they talk briefly in episode 1, then they talk about Adam for a bit, then Blake offends Yang, but then they are all of sudden smiley, feely to each other before becoming lovey-dovey. What? When did all the steps needed to go from A to B occur? You may like it and think it's good and that's fine and valid, but I REALLY don't see it.
RWBY in general is not a well written show. The shipping is not the problem, its 100% the writers not knowing what to do for most of it's run time. Almost every character interaction seems to have a general amount of off-screen knowledge you're either told in other material about or just isn't explained at all. Don't forget how Team CFVY is introduced in the show at the end of season 2- are we supposed to care about any of these people who suddenly take front and center focus with no explanation? At least the characters say they need each other, which is a lot more than Weiss suddenly deciding she isn't racist anymore!

Also everything in RWBY feels like its catering to it's own fandom and RoosterTeeth's in general- theres probably a list out there of how many cyclic references to RWBY are in the show itself just based off fandom feedback, with "Boop!" being a pretty notorious example.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch Supernatural but
I feel like Castiel confessing his love for Dean basically happened because of Destiel shippers.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Seconded on BumbleBee, and you can't convince me otherwise
The reason why I dislike it is cuz I know for a fact if the fans didn't get it, they'd throw a big stink over it

Last edited:

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
RWBY in general is not a well written show. The shipping is not the problem, its 100% the writers not knowing what to do for most of it's run time. Almost every character interaction seems to have a general amount of off-screen knowledge you're either told in other material about or just isn't explained at all. Don't forget how Team CFVY is introduced in the show at the end of season 2- are we supposed to care about any of these people who suddenly take front and center focus with no explanation? At least the characters say they need each other, which is a lot more than Weiss suddenly deciding she isn't racist anymore!

Also everything in RWBY feels like its catering to it's own fandom and RoosterTeeth's in general- theres probably a list out there of how many cyclic references to RWBY are in the show itself just based off fandom feedback, with "Boop!" being a pretty notorious example.

Too bad we don't even KNOW why they need each other.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I remember people defending this to death on Gaf despite there being absolutely no build up for it, even to go as far as randomly calling people phobic or against such ideas for cartoons. The only idea I've truly been against when it comes to TV/movies is bad writing. I'm glad we've reached a point to where we can finally criticize it. It simply could have been done better, same with a lot of concepts and plot lines for this show.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I remember people defending this to death on Gaf despite there being absolutely no build up for it, even to go as far as randomly calling people phobic or against such ideas for cartoons. The only idea I've truly been against when it comes to TV/movies is bad writing. I'm glad we've reached a point to where we can finally criticize it. It simply could have been done better, same with a lot of concepts and plot lines for this show.
Tbf, most people would prefer that to Makorra and Borra which were downright awful and dragged down S1 a lot. I would agree that there was little buildup to it, but it wasn't anything as bothersome as the other major ships.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Tbf, most people would prefer that to Makorra and Borra which were downright awful and dragged down S1 a lot. I would agree that there was little buildup to it, but it wasn't anything as bothersome as the other major ships.
The ship itself wasn't bothersome to me. It just needed better writing for it, that's all. I was fine with the concept of it but the execution was lacking. The only truly bothersome thing back then were the fans of it. Most wouldn't accept any criticisms of it and some even called it a perfect ship.

Oct 27, 2017
REYLO existed for no other reason that JJ Abrams being a coward and bowing to fangirl pressure

My gripe was there was literally no reason for Korra to be in a relationship with anyone. It's like they were targeted the YA audience so of course the female lead has to have love interests, even if they make no sense.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Basically this. It's regrettable they wasted so much time with the Mako plot when there was only 4 short seasons for the show to work with and his dwindling role in the show if there wasn't relationship drama.

Nov 27, 2017
My first thought was not a ship, but a moment.

Taking advantage of the Internet buzz for what had been a minor film in their 2006 line-up, New Line Cinema ordered five days of additional shooting in early March 2006 (principal photography had wrapped in September 2005). While re-shoots normally imply problems with a film, the producers opted to add new scenes to the film to change the MPAA rating from PG-13 to R and bring it in line with growing fan expectations. The most notable addition was a revision of a catchphrase from the film that was parodied on the Internet by fans of the film, capitalizing on Samuel L. Jackson's typically foul-mouthed and violent film persona: "Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane!". Subsequently, the public responded favorably to this creative change and marketing strategy, leading some members of the press to speculate that "the movie has grown from something of a joke into a phenomenon".

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Oh damn. I thought people were posting it as a positive example. I remember the reception to it being defensively positive back then too.

But yeah, I didn't pick up the signs at all so it really hit me out of no where. Like, not the overt signs Avatar uses for explicitly romantic setups, more than characters interacting being interpreted as shipping. I guess the voice actor interviews explain the behind the scenes push for it but it was so thin in the actual show.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I can't decide if it's the best or the worst one ever.
Like it's fucking dumb to the point of bad fanfiction but on the other hand,
this is so stupid it loops back into being genius then back again to stupid to finish somewhere in the galaxy brain genius.
It's the nanard of ship moments or le The Room moment of shipping if you'll allow the expression.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

I watched the series for the first time a few months back knowing that this was how it ended and I was excited about it. Then I was let down by how unearned it ultimately felt.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
most people putting lgbt ships on here have zero idea how hard they are to build up when you're explicitly forbidden from doing so for most of the show's run. korrasami was last minute because it kind of had to be. criticizing it for a lack of build up is fine but i feel like most that do don't understand this particular component of it. it's not until recently that these kind of restrictions were lifted or skirted around, and it wasn't necessarily the culture changing but management as well. rebecca sugar of steven universe future credits a gay executive for getting a lot of what she wanted on the screen and even that show wasn't allowed to do the wedding episode without putting the show in jeopardy.

it's gotten to the point where when we do get that build up in the show itself people completely miss it and claim it comes out of nowhere.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Grif and Simmons from Red vs Blue.....kinda. Season 15 hinted they had sex because of the Temple of Procreation. People have been Shipping Grif and Simmons for years.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

There was slight build up to it but the issue that they could not be overt about it because of the times and situation they were in.

If Korrasami were written in today's world, it would've been more obvious but the writers gets restrained by the culture they lived in at the time.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I love that there's official Star Wars lore for the stormtrooper who bonks his head and the ice cream maker dude

I do not love most anything TROS did. I didn't even register the kiss as Reylo fanservice, in the moment I legit thought that was Rey trying to use her healing powers in the most Disney way possible. That was how badly any semblance of attraction was set up.

Cloud got sick with a fatal disease and was scared of losing the family he had built with Tifa (on top of still feeling guilt about Aerith and Zack's deaths). AC is a shitty movie but Cloud's battle with depression, survivor's guilt, and dealing with the trauma / PTSD of being experimented on isn't him just being some cold emo loner like a lot of people label it as. It's a realistic direction for a character who has dealt with all of that. The problem is that a lot of the nuances of this is in the novels that take place between the end of game and before the movie + it good be better written.

Yeah I thought Advent Children Cloud was fine (I'm even fine with KH Cloud considering it was an alt universe where the sweary cigarette smoking Cid lived next to the DuckTales kids). The final OST track of the movie is even called "Cloud Smiles" suggesting he'd go back to normal. My issues with the characterization only really kicked in when it was made the default in Dissidia, Dirge, even WoFF. At least Crisis Core let him be a goofy teen.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I don't really care for these things, but I hated Monica and Chandler being a couple on Friends. I mean, it felt like the actors just had zero romantic chemistry between them and it greatly reflected on screen. I'm not even sure they got along with each other onset because the "romance" between the characters looked so forced in the moments lol